Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
So what I get is Star Wars would be better if it had boobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Mega64 posted:

this is the pitch that got benioff and weiss thrown off their star wars project

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Jabba shoulda had a big veiny rack

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

Have you read book 4, 5 though, the later books are book. I don't want to talk about GoT and ASOIAF, bring up bad memories. I will stop.

I love books that are book, I'll check it out, thanks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Barudak posted:

My office's opinion was "we will watch Oppenheimer, but apologies Barudak-san, you cannot come" which seems fair.

Maybe you shouldn't have been complaining as Oppenheimer for three months straight, OP.

Mega64 posted:

Andor is the closest you come to seeing two people have sex in Star Wars.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The "Rich Evans has a terrible realization" countdown is so good

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

I'm watching the Andor review and I cannot comprehend why anyone would want to watch that show

It's the RLM thread so everyone is going to tell you it's trash, but the core is a solid story that wouldn't need to be Star Wars to work, it has Star Wars affixed around the edges. Similar to first season Mando.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Andor is bad precisely because its competently made. It has no business being a Star War, but no one was gonna offer Tony Gilroy a budget like Disney was, so we have to settle for the round peg of "a mature sci-fi spy drama" being jammed crudely into the square hole of "the Flash Gordon ripoff IP humanity can't seem to let go of, for some reason."

Market research tells these craven fucks that new IPs wont play in Peoria, and that the hardcore nerds will watch whatever you put in front of them regardless of marketing or quality. This is the direct result of that. Everything must fall under something already existing, and what already exists must be a foundation for every kind of story.

The issues with this are endless but the main ones are tonal whiplash and an impossible to maintain objective cannon. Stuff just starts contradicting itself wildly, and like that other better poster said you got the serious Andor man in the same universe as a cackling Scooby Doo villain emperor and it just all starts to feel as crass as it is.

There's only two ways this nightmare ends and both seem impossible. One is that consumers become more tolerable of new IPs. Asking a dumbfuck mob of billions to be more open minded does indeed seem impossible, but it's actually less impossible than the second option which is Disney leaves money on the table and keeps Star Wars as just the "fun adventure romp for the 14-30 demo" and doesn't keep bankrolling the IP under every possible genre of storytelling ever made.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Get used to all new stories being made under existing IPs for children, for the next decade at least. If you want a good tv series, you gotta accept that it’s a Star war. Pretty soon if you want an adult relationship drama, you’ll have to accept that it’s in the muppets universe

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yeah join us the rest of us mature adults in the Paddingverse

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Yeah Andor has the problem of being far too good for Star Wars. You flip over to one of the other shows like Ashoka and it’s just embarrassing trash for babies. Then there’s the whole issue of the rise of the Empire being botched in the prequels, and Andor being almost impossible to match with all the goofy nonsense that George threw in there as “world building”.

Star Wars needs to just die, and better sci-fi to take its place, but we’re stuck in a moronic cultural paralysis. There’s no solid base in SW to build an endless franchise off of, even if you brought in the best people possible now.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 30, 2024

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

colonelwest posted:

Yeah Andor has the problem of being far too good for Star Wars.

New York Times Pitchbot: Andor is too good, here's why that's bad for Disney.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You know how you can enjoy movies? Call real movie movies, call Disney franchises stuff movie-like and series-like. They are not real movies, they are just synthetic poo poo that takes up 80% of the market.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

stephenthinkpad posted:

You know how you can enjoy movies? Call real movie movies, call Disney franchises stuff movie-like and series-like. They are not real movies, they are just synthetic poo poo that takes up 80% of the market.

I don't have a problem enjoying movies

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i enjoy movies the way i enjoy sex - in 5 minute segments

they don't call me Lil' Quibi for nothing

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 30, 2024

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Rich had flashes of looking like Neil Hambuger

Re:View is the best movie review show with 2 out of touch dementia cases since Siskel and Ebert

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

poisonpill posted:

Get used to all new stories being made under existing IPs for children, for the next decade at least. If you want a good tv series, you gotta accept that it’s a Star war. Pretty soon if you want an adult relationship drama, you’ll have to accept that it’s in the muppets universe

This is really a you problem. There’s lots of good new stuff coming out, it just requires slightly more effort to seek out.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
https://twitter.com/jessehawken/status/1774070353385472335

Oh man I'm desperate to see Megalopolis.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Barudak posted:

My office's opinion was "we will watch Oppenheimer, but apologies Barudak-san, you cannot come" which seems fair.

Do they have to do it for every movie tho :(

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

if i found out my dad suddenly became online and used the term “woke” in any context other than “to have emerged from slumber” i would stop talking to him. but he currently barely uses the internet and that is why i truly love him.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://twitter.com/Lord_Mandalore/status/1773720473227895069

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Offline dad, never mad. Posting pop? Sever, chop chop

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm watching Dial of Destiny and CGI Harrison Ford somehow looks worse than CGI Peter Cushing from Rogue One.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

They hosed up the order for this loss parody.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Hackers film 1995 posted:

if i found out my dad suddenly became online and used the term “woke” in any context other than “to have emerged from slumber” i would stop talking to him. but he currently barely uses the internet and that is why i truly love him.

My dad unfortunately completely fell down the Boomer Facebook rabbit hole and now unironically posts the most cringe right-wing culture wars crap you can imagine.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Hackers film 1995 posted:

I regret to inform you that "woke" broke the online barrier long ago

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

LOL

It’s amazing how terrible that show looks.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

colonelwest posted:

LOL

otoh its an amazing credit card commercial

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Lol

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I can at least appreciate that the girl is doing her best bethesda character face

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I can at least appreciate that the girl is doing her best bethesda character face

also looking in the completely wrong direction lol

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
it's ok we'll fix it in post

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

When I saw the first trailer I was like "oh, I guess she's from a vault where they made everybody's eyes really big"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Lister posted:

When I saw the first trailer I was like "oh, I guess she's from a vault where they made everybody's eyes really big"

Scouring the wasteland in a lifelong quest to find the anime waifu vault

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Can't believe that Mike doesn't know the correct way to pronounce .gif

Unsubscribed :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am fervently trying to ignore the fallout show and hope it just goes away asap

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
My mom won't let me play Diablo because we're a Catholic household. :(

EDIT: Whoops

Outpost22 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 30, 2024

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

colonelwest posted:

LOL

That's like every show nowadays, except for Shogun.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Scouring the wasteland in a lifelong quest to find the anime waifu vault

That's what mods are for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What the gently caress is this Indiana Jones movie? It's like the anti-Crystal Skull but bad in entirely different ways. Crystal Skull kept making "haha old people" jokes about Indy. Dial of Destiny instead says "actually Indy is cool and good go gently caress yourself young people" by making Wombat the most insufferable rear end in a top hat imaginable while Indy is completely miserable the whole time.

It's amazing how much worse this movie looks than Crystal Skull, too.

Lol I just got to the part where Mutt died in Vietnam. Antonio Banderas has had two lines so far.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 30, 2024