Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cassian of Imola posted:

that probably wouldn't be so bad since Portuguese and Japanese sound so different, plus you can use different styles for the subtitles. but casting actors, and hiring screenwriters and directors, fluent in both Portuguese and Japanese would be a nightmare

Oh I don't think it would be awful by any means. Obviously, the non-English-speaking world has to deal with this kind of friction in any Hollywood movie that includes some foreign languages, so there are techniques to ease it like subtitle styles.

But they're trying to get some subtle things across in all those scenes, and it just seems like the way they went with works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

shogun is in like 1600 after the europeans forgot how to bathe. and i'm pretty sure the guys in the show are d*tch

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

the milk machine posted:

shogun is in like 1600 after the europeans forgot how to bathe. and i'm pretty sure the guys in the show are d*tch
There used to be bathhouses all over France and they were extremely popular places. In 1560, Queen Catherina di Medici called the last general estate in France until the French Revolution (1789). You used to be able to get prostitutes in your bath in some bathhouses and there was that new disease called syphilis. She had all bathhouses not owned by a religious order closed alongside the brothels. The brothels illegally reopened a few years later, the bathhouses did not.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Bitches love bathing and hair combing.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

I dunno why they had to make the white guy English though. Dutch ship just happened to have an English pilot huh? Sure, ok.

American audiences wouldn’t take a protagonist with a Dutch borkbork accent seriously

ProperGanderPusher has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Mar 29, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Jose posted:

i think that would be the ryukyu kingdom

yeah but that would just be the satsuma domain doing the warcrimes.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Toplowtech posted:

There used to be bathhouses all over France and they were extremely popular places. In 1560, Queen Catherina di Medici called the last general estate in France until the French Revolution (1789). You used to be able to get prostitutes in your bath in some bathhouses and there was that new disease called syphilis. She had all bathhouses not owned by a religious order closed alongside the brothels. The brothels illegally reopened a few years later, the bathhouses did not.
why bother with bathhouses when you can do a whore's bath anywhere?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

cat botherer posted:

why bother with bathhouses when you can do a whore's bath anywhere?
Not being seen entering a whorehouse, better quality baths, being able to say to your wife/priest that no, you didn't go to a whorehouse without lying. Also prostitutes with bathes were probably more expansive than bathes with prostitutes.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

they should try doing this today
The true story of a reporter who went undercover in high school

www.sfchronicle.com - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 posted:

San Francisco Chronicle reporter Shann Nix probably should have been on her honeymoon in September 1992 when she took on an assignment she would still be thinking about decades later.

Nix, then 26, changed her home answering machine (“You have reached the Hinkle family residence”), instructed her new husband to act like her father if he answered the phone and then went undercover for a month, posing as a student at George Washington High School in San Francisco.  

“I sit in my car, biting my nails and staring up at the gray and mustard colored building that looms at the corner of 32nd and Balboa,” her first article began on Nov. 16, 1992. “One week before I was dancing at my wedding. This morning I kissed my new husband goodbye and left my wedding ring on the shelf by the bed.”

The result was the four-part “Undercover Student” project, a front-page exposé that today is both increasingly fascinating and increasingly shocking, as time has made the decision to send a reporter into the maw of a high school ecosystem seem more like fiction than reality. This is the plot of the 1999 Drew Barrymore romantic comedy “Never Been Kissed,” not real life, where there are ramifications.

“I tried to present the human side of it, the teachers and students who were struggling to do their best in the face of pretty insurmountable odds. I mean, come on, there really were rats in the halls,” said Nix, now Shann Jones and living half a world away in Wales, U.K. 

“It turned out to be, you know, was it even a good thing? Was it even an ethical thing?”

But it happened, and had an impact on a lot of people, including Chronicle readers, Washington High students who are now adults, and the reporter herself. And 32 years later, they still have a lot to say about it.

In 2024, it’s doubtful any major U.S. newspaper could get permission to embed an adult among unknowing teens. 

But in 1992, Jones was building her professional reputation by going undercover. As a Chronicle intern in 1989, Jones says she was told she had no chance to land a job at the paper. The newsroom’s editors reversed course after Jones, then 23, managed to “Jedi mind trick” her way inside Hugh Hefner’s mansion for the Playboy magazine founder’s second wedding and write a fly-on-the-wall story that earned national attention.

Jones would do it again at Sun Myung Moon’s Unification Church, writing a captivating article for the Chronicle after covertly observing recruitment practices of the so-called Moonies.

“Shann going undercover in a school was not out of context,” said Jones’ Chronicle desk mate and friend Ruthe Stein, a longtime movie writer and editor who herself in the late ’80s went into singles bars, interviewed swingers and talked to strangers about their sex lives for her nationally syndicated column, First Person Singular.

The last paragraph in “Undercover Student” offers some perspective. It could have been penned as easily in 2024 as 1992.

“If I come back here again, it will be as an adult, and a stranger. The kids I know will graduate and grow up, and this past month will fade into a brief, bizarre chapter in their histories — the reporter who came in their senior year, pretending to be a student.”

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Gonna bust out the infographic where all the worlds tallest buildings are displayed side to side but it’s just various actors’ busts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSndZa8daTM

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol brooks

https://twitter.com/moshik_temkin/status/1773803334622650421

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/NathanJRobinson/status/1773487006770757857

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

The article is interesting in that it doesn't say anything anyone posting here doesn't already know, but you can see the "if you've lost them who is left" in the individual writer as well. He is clearly an ultra liberal who talks a lot about the moral restraint and decency the US military has shown, but even Israel is too much for him

quote:

During the Battle of Mosul, strikes that could be anticipated to kill 10 civilians or more required sign-off from the commanding general of Central Command, which oversees all American military activity across the greater Middle East. Deliberate strikes might have been analyzed by multiple working groups, and precautions taken to limit civilian casualties by using a more precise weapon with a smaller blast radius.

Ultimately he draws pretty scathing conclusions.

quote:

So perhaps October 7 will be Israel’s 9/11, or 20 9/11s—not just because of the scale of the losses, but because of the foolishness and cruelty of the response. And a few years from now, if I talk with a survivor of this devastating war, will he blame Hamas for provoking it? I would guess that he’ll blame the country that bombed him without mercy and restricted the delivery of food while his family starved to death. And he’ll blame America for enabling it. And so will the rest of the world. And they’ll be right.

It's restating the same thing the original tweet said, but if you've lost this guy...

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
thats like 4000 signatures. general dude must of had a sore rear end wrist after that

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This guy used to be a respected journalist then got a job at GB news lol

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1773801817043878237?t=vT3CEmVmo58lAxHmUn7vHA&s=19

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!

does anyone have access to the paywalled article what exactly is his argument

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

Just use archive.is and even better, don't read it because it's mostly nonsense.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

https://twitter.com/KarnesMellagio/status/1774060223763763259?t=RxHBz9lJXoHBuAHA4vOGig&s=19

The Portuguese colonized Japan, apparently

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Japan has been a colony of the USA for a long as time. do they talk about that

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i think we could do better re: shogun concern trolling. we could start talking about how the original author is a white guy and so its not his story to tell

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

euphronius posted:

Japan has been a colony of the USA for a long as time. do they talk about that

Well, since August/September 1945.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

when I was in high school the pd put an undercover cop as a student in our school - and she dated a guy for 3 months before they arrested him. I remember thinking it was weird for a 24/25 yo woman, pretending to be 17 and loving a teenager because he is some low level dealer

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 59 minutes!

they colonized an island off of Nagasaki at best. they left the word for Tempura. that’s all.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Al! posted:

i think we could do better re: shogun concern trolling. we could start talking about how the original author is a white guy and so its not his story to tell

It was a story all about a super amazing English dude who went to Japan and all his dirty Dutch friends got relegated to a ghetto but he was so cool and good he got to hobnob with the elites and get the sexiest woman in the whole islands and then she tragically died for him

If that’s not a story that belongs to a white man idk what is

I should have spoiled that since it’s a book that was already twenty years old when I read it 30 years ago

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It was a story all about a super amazing English dude who went to Japan and all his dirty Dutch friends got relegated to a ghetto but he was so cool and good he got to hobnob with the elites and get the sexiest woman in the whole islands and then she tragically died for him

I should have spoiled that since it’s a book that was already twenty years old when I read it 30 years ago

It's the Opium Wars prequel trilogy, it's just backstory lore for the main event

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

HashtagGirlboss posted:

my favorite part was when he almost committed seppuku and they stopped him but his japanese friend knew he really would have done it, totally dude, and that meant he was truly japanese now

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

my favorite part was when he almost committed seppuku and they stopped him but his japanese friend knew he really would have done it, totally dude, and that meant he was truly japanese now

Oh yeah but his Japanese friend had to grab the blade to stop him and got a cut! Good thing they’d apparently given him the dullest sword in all of japan

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

you old

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Jose posted:

you old

Yeah

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the guy shogun is based on is interesting imo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(pilot)

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
was a while since i read it, but i thought the book was about some english dude who ended up in japan and thought he was hot poo poo but the japanese guys basically figured him out immediately and humored the uncultured idiot because he might be useful some day

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

was a while since i read it, but i thought the book was about some english dude who ended up in japan and thought he was hot poo poo but the japanese guys basically figured him out immediately and humored the uncultured idiot because he might be useful some day

Maybe. I was still in middle school so if there was subtext or even overt stuff to that effect it probably just went right over my head

My memory of it is that it’s basically special awesome genius who impresses the natives and works his way into the inner circles though, and when he meets up with his Dutch friends they’re all super embarrassingly gross cause unlike him they weren’t awesome at learning and adapting

Definitely some stuff about how he was a prisoner in a gilded cage tho, I remember that much

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

iirc the book ends with toranaga giving an epic oceans eleven reveal about how he's been playing everybody from the start and now the gaijin will spend his life building ships for him

Jesse Ventura
Jan 14, 2007

This drink is like somebody's memory of a grapefruit, and the memory is fading.

Vomik posted:

when I was in high school the pd put an undercover cop as a student in our school - and she dated a guy for 3 months before they arrested him. I remember thinking it was weird for a 24/25 yo woman, pretending to be 17 and loving a teenager because he is some low level dealer

was this in the Cincinnati area or did this exact thing happen more than once?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Some Guy TT posted:

wait do you actually read the articles you c/p? that’s way more fuckin sick in the head than being a spammer

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jose posted:

the guy shogun is based on is interesting imo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Adams_(pilot)

i played nioh 1

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Bro Dad posted:

iirc the book ends with toranaga giving an epic oceans eleven reveal about how he's been playing everybody from the start and now the gaijin will spend his life building ships for him

Tokugawa moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kinda lol that there's multiple media atm with themes of 'early modern Japan was probably right to treat white people as literal devils and they agree'

I remember some people reacting to LAD: Ishin with takes along the lines of "the xenophobia is pretty problematic," but being xenophobic towards Europeans in 19th century Japan is just reasonable because they actually are hostile towards you!