Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
From a foreigner: is it considered acceptable to discuss the Troubles? I assume there's a wide gap between some foreigner saying "up the RA" to simply ignoring it happened altogether.

EDIT: Horrible loving snipe, I must apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

PT6A posted:

From a foreigner: is it considered acceptable to discuss the Troubles? I assume there's a wide gap between some foreigner saying "up the RA" to simply ignoring it happened altogether.

I have the triple threat of autism, an interest in political history, and I grew up on the border so I always "enjoy" answering questions about it. I do think the average Irish person doesn't actually know a huge amount about the topic so milage may vary.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Not going to talk on behalf of everyone else, but don't mind Troubles talk in any way personally.

Speaking of which, guess who was a naughty boy back in the 70s:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/xkbwldvmb5/exposed-the-secret-army

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

PT6A posted:

It's a period of history. The only way you'll understand it is to ask questions. So don't feel bad about asking about it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you wanted to be more informed before that discussion you could read Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keeffe which I think is a good primer for non-Irish on the Troubles. But really you don't need to do homework before chatting to people, as long as you aren't too strident in your opinions

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

PT6A posted:

I would rather have someone discussing it than shouting catchphrases without context. :)

I was born & raised in it but only marginally affected by it.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

happyhippy posted:

Not going to talk on behalf of everyone else, but don't mind Troubles talk in any way personally.

Speaking of which, guess who was a naughty boy back in the 70s:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/xkbwldvmb5/exposed-the-secret-army

So that's not Gerry standing beside Martin with his back to camera in a brown cord jacket looking thing as the bomb car drives off?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Failed Imagineer posted:

If you wanted to be more informed before that discussion you could read Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keeffe which I think is a good primer for non-Irish on the Troubles. But really you don't need to do homework before chatting to people, as long as you aren't too strident in your opinions

Yeah, bear in mind a lot of people had a relative beaten to death on the street in front of the RUC who did nothing except have a laugh about it. If they start getting arsey, apologise and be prepared to listen to a big, long grievance.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

PT6A posted:

if you're discussing it with e.g. a west belfast taxi tours driver then the likelihood is you're talking to someone who was a... troubler

i'd just be careful about asking for too much detail lol

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Oh, it bears mentioning the British government talked insane idiot poo poo for, well, pretty much the entire thing. "The IRA need help with bombs" "It's just a few people" "This is an acceptable level of violence"

See also the rebuttal "If the Orange Order want to march so badly, let's see them insist on marching through Crossmaglen."

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Rather lucky being a Southerner born in the late Eighties, that my only two big memories of the Troubles were Omagh and Good Friday. It feels like I'd only just become aware of the whole thing and it was over. Didn't stop me learning about Internment and the hooded men and the Miami Showband and a whole heap of the rest but I always feel its not my place to talk about it. Ask me about Partition or the Civil War or something like that and I'll go on.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

crispix posted:

they have taxi tours in belfast that show you all troubles stuff

Is that better? I did a walking tour when I was in Belfast

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
well yeah it's better, you don't have to walk :/

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i've never actually been on one because i'm from near belfast and well

same way cockneys probably don't go on jack the ripper tours, eh

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Small White Dragon posted:

Is that better? I did a walking tour when I was in Belfast
I did one years ago while visiting Belfast and it was ok, although quite a bit depressing as you can imagine. I guess it comes down to the person running the tour as well.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

crispix posted:

i've never actually been on one because i'm from near belfast and well

same way cockneys probably don't go on jack the ripper tours, eh

I don't live in Ireland (or NI), but in general, I think many people don't partake of the touristy stuff near their hometown.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

That Italian Guy posted:

I did one years ago while visiting Belfast and it was ok, although quite a bit depressing as you can imagine. I guess it comes down to the person running the tour as well.

I've been avoiding the many famine tours down here for this very reason.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Small White Dragon posted:

I don't live in Ireland (or NI), but in general, I think many people don't partake of the touristy stuff near their hometown.
The second I moved to London I failed to do all the things I liked doing when visiting. Local fun laziness is definitely a common problem.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

The second I moved to London I failed to do all the things I liked doing when visiting. Local fun laziness is definitely a common problem.

Never seen Giant's Causeway and the damned thing is twenty or so miles from me... going from pictures & vids the similar formation in Iceland looks better. :shrug:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Just Another Lurker posted:

Never seen Giant's Causeway and the damned thing is twenty or so miles from me... going from pictures & vids the similar formation in Iceland looks better. :shrug:

It's small but alright, not that expensive or anything if you avoid the upselling

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I can walk to most of the museums etc here. Never do. :shrug:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
https://x.com/AmandaFBelfast/status/1773632046390202509?s=20

https://x.com/JamieBrysonCPNI/status/1773679464276246737?s=20

61 year old DUP Jeffrey Donaldson has deleted all his social media accounts. Make of that what you will.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Ulster ignores a no?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Sky news confirming
https://news.sky.com/story/dup-leader-sir-jeffrey-donaldson-suspended-13103753

Makes sense, always useful to make sure the politicians you install are easily blackmailable.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

It's not really worth seeing unless you're a tourist and it's on your checklist. The clifftop walks around it though are fantastic on a good day.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Whaaaat

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Lol as gently caress. Wonder if the DUP will even pretend to care?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It's not really worth seeing unless you're a tourist and it's on your checklist. The clifftop walks around it though are fantastic on a good day.

Is this a joke, the Giant's causeway is loving awesome.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Is this a joke, the Giant's causeway is loving awesome.

It's a bunch of worn-down rocks gatekeepered by a tourist trap centre and the best bit is closed off to the public because of the valid concern of coastal erosion. The clifftop walks are amazing, far better than stomping around a bunch of hexagonal stones. The north and east Antrim coast is one of my favourite places.

If I was recommending the Causeway to anyone I'd tell them to park up in Portballintrae and walk the beach and coastal path from there and give the Causeway a miss.

And also avoid Jeffrey Donaldson if they see him. Seems he might be a bit of a wrong'un.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I think you may be underestimating how weird those rocks looks like to someone who has never seen them in person before. I mean, it's a natural landmark, not the Louvre; but it's a nice stop if you are taking any kind of tourist tour of the area.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 30, 2024

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
The causeway is overrated. The drive there and stuff around there very much underrated.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brass Hand posted:

The causeway is overrated. The drive there and stuff around there very much underrated.

I like the nearby shaky bridge that simulates the experience of imminent death

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The wife and I went to the Giants Causeway one year around Christmas.

It was pretty good. Really worth seeing in person.
The information centre next to it that they trier to sell you into going to see sounded like a rip-off so we didn't do that. And I think we just paid to park at someone's nearby farm instead of at the visitor centre since that was much cheaper.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

quote:

In a statement, the DUP said: "The party chairman has received a letter from Sir Jeffrey Donaldson MP confirming that he has been charged with allegations of an historical nature

lmao

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

That Italian Guy posted:

I think you may be underestimating how weird those rocks looks like to someone who has never seen them in person before. I mean, it's a natural landmark, not the Louvre; but it's a nice stop if you are taking any kind of tourist tour of the area.

The Giant's Causeway is a grand day out where you can marvel at a bizarre and unnatural looking geological formation, and other oddities like the Giant's boot along picturesque Antrim coastline. I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has a passing interest in geology.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but I'd certainly put it in my list of things for foreigners to see in Ireland along with:
-Newgrange
-The Rock of Cashel
-King John's Castle
-Clonmacnoise
-Birr Castle
-Cliffs of Moher
-The National Museum
-Skellig Michael

And probably a bunch of miscellaneous activities people can do in places like Belfast and Dublin like the Guiness Brewery or Titanic tour, if they are into that kind of thing.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 30, 2024

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I liked going to the post office and the gaol. I would have loved to see more Connolly related things in the rising museums.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

khwarezm posted:

The Giant's Causeway is a grand day out where you can marvel at a bizarre and unnatural looking geological formation, and other oddities like the Giant's boot along picturesque Antrim coastline. I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone who has a passing interest in geology.

Maybe I'm just a weirdo, but I'd certainly put it in my list of things for foreigners to see in Ireland along with:
-Newgrange
-The Rock of Cashel
-King John's Castle
-Clonmacnoise
-Birr Castle
-Cliffs of Moher
-The National Museum
-Skellig Michael

And probably a bunch of miscellaneous activities people can do in places like Belfast and Dublin like the Guiness Brewery or Titanic tour, if they are into that kind of thing.

On that list I'd add the Dark Hedges. It's near the Giant's Causeway, and it's the location from Game of Thrones that the called the King's Road. Its free to visit and is a lovely area of natural beauty.

There is probably a bunch of Game of Thrones locations worth visiting in NI.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Why is it called Dark Hedges?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Why is it called Dark Hedges?

Probably because they naturally formed into a tunnel which made the area underneath shaded.

https://visitbelfast.com/article/game-of-thrones-filming-locations-belfast-northern-ireland/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
honestly what is wrong with you if you don't find rocks that look like that interesting