Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Panel gaps on bridges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

just loving flex seal it

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
bridges will not be necessary in 3 - 6 months because elon will be rolling out the flight upgrade on all teslas

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Based on current trends, probably close to zero new bridge collapses in US too by end of April

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

just hammer out the bends it's fine

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yep and by that point there was absolutely no 'ethics in comics' bullshit they hid under, it was straight 'women characters? In OUR comics? HOW DARE THEY'

Unfortunately I lost a friend to Comicsgate, she was a comic book artist who suddenly told me feminism was aiming to destroy men's achievements and take all the good things away from men. She still draws comics, for girls. Haha :smith:

Sorry, these princess stories are boys ONLY

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Someone shocked that Elon didn't suggest they tunnel under the bay.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Powershift posted:

He may not have openly done so, but it's very much something that is on his mind:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Saddest Rhino posted:

That movement completely destroyed ethan van sciver 's career because he wanted to be the irl mascot and also led to zack snyder going on stream thanking a bunch of poo poo heads for their donations but he would never support them and their cause, peace bye, which lol

Van Sciver had already destroyed his career pre-Comicsgate, though. Dude had already been fired and/or blacklisted from from every major comics publisher because he was a racist Nazi shithead who fought with all of his co-workers all the time. Gail Simome flat out said "I used to walk by Ethan's desk every day and he always had a sketchbook full of drawings of Hitler prominently placed out for everyone to see. He claimed it was reference work for Sinestro, but we all knew the truth and just had to put up with it."

So he turned to grifting chuds because he had nowhere else to go, and now he's published one comic in, how long's it been now, five years? With no sign of volume 2 on the horizon.

But lol yeah, Snyder going on the Geeks and Gamers stream and going "thanks for the donation to my charity, but I don't endorse bigots" and all of them looking like they were about to start crying after getting called out to their faces was amazing. Top respect for Zaddy.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 30, 2024

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

IBroughttheFunk posted:

He may not have openly done so, but it's very much something that is on his mind:

Bridge under tunneled water

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

Internet Old One posted:

I'm entertaining this because it seems like after a little scrutiny this is often proving true of... depressingly everything but.

Like Versailles crippling Germany seems to have a lot of supporting evidence and subsequent influence on policy by dudes who might know better. Do you have some articles or other stuff to back this up?

The classic article is Sally Marks' "The Myths of Reparations". I encountered the argument first in Peukert's The Weimar Republic, where I think a fair summary is that the treaty was a problem, but not a crippling or insurmountable one. Its primary impact was political rather than economic. Germans across the political spectrum thought it unjust and so it encouraged catastrophe politics (e.g. make the German economy so bad that Germany could justify not paying it), which in turn fed into right-wing support and destabilization. Richard J. Evans gives a similar summary in The Coming of the Third Reich, if memory serves.

I skimmed through the Oxford Handbook of the Weimar Republic while writing this and the chapter on the economy (19) seems to take a more negative view of Versailles than I was expecting, so maybe the historiography is changing, but even its negative view seems to be bad, but not catastrophic (albeit I only skimmed it).

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Funny how the high ad sharing payouts are all to accounts that Elon Musk personally responds to constantly

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

shyduck posted:

Someone posted a while back on Twitter that they didn't really notice how much of an idiot Elon is until he started talking about that person's area of expertise.

yeah i think i first cottoned on to how dense he is when he said something about software development that betrayed an understanding of how software is developed and maintained that is completely at odds with known reality lol

he just has at best the most superficial understanding of a thing and other times he seems to make poo poo up in his head and assume no one will notice he is talking nonsense

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

crispix posted:

he just has at best the most superficial understanding of a thing and other times he seems to make poo poo up in his head and assume no one will notice he is talking nonsense

even today, there are lots of people who don't really pay attention to online stuff closely and who still generally think of him as a "smart business person" just in terms of general reputation and the mere fact that he is the owner of a large company, and there are sadly also lots of people who will assume that if a "smart business person" or really just anyone with the title of CEO is saying something that sounds like nonsense its actually their fault and they just aren't on the level to understand it, but it must be important. he is one of many people who has skated very far because of that tendency

also during my time in corporate settings ive also definitely noticed many unspoken "i won't call out your egregious bullshit if you don't call out mine" agreements between various management types which helps that mentality to prosper. elons brand of bullshiting is not particularly unique, just more well known and public because he's a shitposter and wants to be famous. but he's a pretty typical type of executive who has absolutely no idea how his business works and got their purely by connections and wealth, with a constant need to justify their authority by spewing industry-focused word salad.

i think the cybertruck is the thing that is finally turning around that perception of him in the world at large, its just so garishly comically bad of a fuckup

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 30, 2024

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
grok will know how to rebuild the bridge using mangled steel

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

kazil posted:

Funny how the high ad sharing payouts are all to accounts that Elon Musk personally responds to constantly

Great, now none of us have to keep asking why the same 20 people base their lives around sucking Daddy's musky dick. He bribes them to.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

shyduck posted:

Someone posted a while back on Twitter that they didn't really notice how much of an idiot Elon is until he started talking about that person's area of expertise.

Elon is a loving idiot. A tremendous loving idiot. He shouldn't be trusted with anything.

To the general public's credit, it was easy to just accept his own hype about himself back when he was talking about literal rocket science and some vague comments on electric cars when the technology for them was fairly new.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

shyduck posted:

Elon is a loving idiot. A tremendous loving idiot. He shouldn't be trusted with anything.

Couldn't find it on X formerly known as Twitter and I'm not making an account to browse dude's tweets lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
lol that Elon thinks that just fishing the steel out of the brackish (I assume, is that a tidal basin?) water and hammering it into shape would function adequately to carry traffic over a span that wide. Dude is Dunning Krueger personified

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

priznat posted:

lol that Elon thinks that just fishing the steel out of the brackish (I assume, is that a tidal basin?) water and hammering it into shape would function adequately to carry traffic over a span that wide. Dude is Dunning Krueger personified

He's also the patron saint of the type of guy (and it's invariably a guy) who adopts the mantle of insta-expert on anything happening in current affairs.

When the pandemic hit they suddenly became epidemiologists. When the war in Ukraine started they became master strategists and logisticians. When the OceanGate disaster unfolded they were on X pontificating on submersible design and deep ocean sonography. They weigh in to Boeing's issues as if they're aeronautical engineers and business magnates and now they're online holding forth about Baltimore as if they're master mariners who just requalified as structural engineers.

It's like Dunning-Kruger combined with terminal mansplaining and STEMbrain. And Elon's led from the front since the days of the Thai cave rescue.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's even worse to me because we're talking about 1st/2nd year mechanical/structural/civil engineering course fundamentals. And this guy thinks school is too woke now

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

BalloonFish posted:

He's also the patron saint of the type of guy (and it's invariably a guy) who adopts the mantle of insta-expert on anything happening in current affairs.

When the pandemic hit they suddenly became epidemiologists. When the war in Ukraine started they became master strategists and logisticians. When the OceanGate disaster unfolded they were on X pontificating on submersible design and deep ocean sonography. They weigh in to Boeing's issues as if they're aeronautical engineers and business magnates and now they're online holding forth about Baltimore as if they're master mariners who just requalified as structural engineers.

It's like Dunning-Kruger combined with terminal mansplaining and STEMbrain. And Elon's led from the front since the days of the Thai cave rescue.

I liked when he just looked at a bolt pattern and “knew” it could be changed to make it more efficient or whatever.

Like who needs strength calculations or simulations or testing or anything like that the god king savant thought it should be this way! (This is exactly how he gutted twitter’s infrastructure too)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

holtemon posted:

Couldn't find it on X formerly known as Twitter and I'm not making an account to browse dude's tweets lol

ah so it was software for this guy too lol

i don't think you would even need to have studied software development formally, just to have programmed for a while, to know how ludicrous the crap elon talks about software is

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
elon musk nodding in front of a big whiteboard that says 'JEWISH QUESTION: REUSE GAS???'

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

crispix posted:

ah so it was software for this guy too lol

i don't think you would even need to have studied software development formally, just to have programmed for a while, to know how ludicrous the crap elon talks about software is

Give me your top 10 best lines of code or you're fired!

The whole stack is garbage we'll rewrite everything

What does "#include" mean?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Give me your top 10 best lines of code or you're fired!

The whole stack is garbage we'll rewrite everything

What does "#include" mean?

Lmao but at the same time I cannot imagine how stressful it was for Twitter devs to go through that and I hope they got good jobs after a nice break.

That just isn’t a way anyone should treat other humans, it was despicable.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Powershift posted:

I mean we already have two separate tunnels going under. The problem is, you can't transport hazmat material through either tunnel (which is what the bridge was primarily there for).

Don't worry though, I'm sure once someone slowly explains this to Elon he'll say that we should build the tunnel out of the same materials used to make airplane black boxes or something.

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
yeah im a dumb idiot i guess

dopesilly fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 13, 2024

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

dopesilly posted:

This might be an unpopular opinion: DEI is absolute poo poo and from my experience most of the people leading the charge with it are just self hating white people or a minority race person who has a bone to pick with whiteys. I was one of two white guys hired by white owners at a company that put forth a big DEI push, and my first day was during DEI training about how we "need to do better". Motherfuckers, if you wanna do better maybe don't guilt the people you just hired into feeling like they're a part of the problem instead of the leadership being the problem. There can be equity and equality without the expense of meeting arbitrary quotas that don't fit the actual/accurate regional ethnic diversity. The majority of companies I've interacted with that push DEI have horribly skewed staff leaning towards white, whereas the companies that don't give a poo poo about DEI just hire everybody and anybody that's qualified regardless of racial bias.

Both self hating whiteys and minorities with a bone to pick are awful people to work for and are loving idiots imo.

You have said the actual truth

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

dopesilly posted:

This might be an unpopular opinion: DEI is absolute poo poo and from my experience most of the people leading the charge with it are just self hating white people or a minority race person who has a bone to pick with whiteys. I was one of two white guys hired by white owners at a company that put forth a big DEI push, and my first day was during DEI training about how we "need to do better". Motherfuckers, if you wanna do better maybe don't guilt the people you just hired into feeling like they're a part of the problem instead of the leadership being the problem. There can be equity and equality without the expense of meeting arbitrary quotas that don't fit the actual/accurate regional ethnic diversity. The majority of companies I've interacted with that push DEI have horribly skewed staff leaning towards white (or go the opposite direction where the staff is ONLY PoC), whereas the companies that don't give a poo poo about DEI just hire everybody and anybody that's qualified regardless of racial bias.

Both self hating whiteys and minorities with a bone to pick are awful people to work for and are loving idiots imo.

Please take screenshots of Elon posts instead of just copying the text

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

kazil posted:

Please take screenshots of Elon posts instead of just copying the text

lol

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

dopesilly posted:

This might be an unpopular opinion: DEI is absolute poo poo and from my experience most of the people leading the charge with it are just self hating white people or a minority race person who has a bone to pick with whiteys. I was one of two white guys hired by white owners at a company that put forth a big DEI push, and my first day was during DEI training about how we "need to do better". Motherfuckers, if you wanna do better maybe don't guilt the people you just hired into feeling like they're a part of the problem instead of the leadership being the problem. There can be equity and equality without the expense of meeting arbitrary quotas that don't fit the actual/accurate regional ethnic diversity. The majority of companies I've interacted with that push DEI have horribly skewed staff leaning towards white (or go the opposite direction where the staff is ONLY PoC), whereas the companies that don't give a poo poo about DEI just hire everybody and anybody that's qualified regardless of racial bias.

lol ur such a whitey for this post

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
obviously the issue with that workplace is that it doesn't DEI hard enough

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

dopesilly posted:

It’s been my experience that people that feel personally attacked by DEI training are racist as gently caress.

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

obviously the issue with that workplace is that it doesn't DEI hard enough

tax benefits and hiring requirements for DEI is not going to fix racist founders and company owners

bird with big dick posted:

It’s been my experience that people that feel personally attacked by DEI training are racist as gently caress.

I didn't feel attacked, I was just like "why the gently caress am I here if yall wanna hire more minorities?" ... I'm all for a diverse workforce and equality in pay

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

dopesilly posted:

tax benefits and hiring requirements for DEI is not going to fix racist founders and company owners

I didn't feel attacked, I was just like "why the gently caress am I here if yall wanna hire more minorities?"

the reason DEI came up is because some idiot referred to the mayor of Baltimore as a "DEI mayor" even though Baltimore is not a company and the mayor was elected and thats an incredibly hosed up thing to say. i have no idea why you are going on about DEI training what does that even have to do with anything

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The goal isn’t to ‘fix’ Elon, it’s to neutralize him.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

dopesilly posted:

I didn't feel attacked, I was just like "why the gently caress am I here if yall wanna hire more minorities?" ... I'm all for a diverse workforce and equality in pay

Then quit.

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023

I did.

My reasoning for posting about DEI was just to talk about my experience and why I'm sure racist white people could be getting their panties in a bunch, because often times the people leading the charge with it don't ACTUALLY have equity in mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

or, and this theory is crazy and might take some lateral thinking, racist white people are racist and hate minorities