Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

rjmccall posted:

Bought two timeshares in the same building in the city he lived in.

?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

rjmccall posted:

* Except for coin collecting, which I suspect he’s sunk a lot of money into that we’ll be lucky to see half of when he dies. None of the grandkids have any interest in continuing it, of course.

Spending money on dumb hobbies you enjoy isn't a waste. At least the grandkids'll get more out of it than if he had built a model railroad or spent it all restoring some classic car.
Unless he's buying rare coins purely for "investment value" and doesn't actually care about them, that would be dumb.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Spending money on dumb hobbies you enjoy isn't a waste. At least the grandkids'll get more out of it than if he had built a model railroad or spent it all restoring some classic car.
Unless he's buying rare coins purely for "investment value" and doesn't actually care about them, that would be dumb.

As someone who inherited an "investment" stamp collection and was told by an appraiser "lol, none of these have value because none of them are rare, sorry," I would have preferred at least getting the novelty of a restored classic car.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Spending money on dumb hobbies you enjoy isn't a waste.
Enjoy, maybe, depends how well it fits into your finances. But some people quickly slip into the self-justifying and collection-perpetuating belief that it's a genuine investment for the future, resulting in tension with spouses and kids left with worthless junk.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

No, he enjoys it for sure, and I’m definitely not trying to take that away from him. And you’re right that at least it’ll never be totally worthless. It’s just that he’s brought the coins up before as specifically valuable, and I’m very aware that that market is crashing.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

rjmccall posted:

No, he enjoys it for sure, and I’m definitely not trying to take that away from him. And you’re right that at least it’ll never be totally worthless. It’s just that he’s brought the coins up before as specifically valuable, and I’m very aware that that market is crashing.

Market down? Time to buy more coins!

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Volmarias posted:

As someone who inherited an "investment" stamp collection and was told by an appraiser "lol, none of these have value because none of them are rare, sorry," I would have preferred at least getting the novelty of a restored classic car.

On the inverse side of this, I love that many things that I found fascinating and collected as a weird little kid are now barely more than worthless and with a little patience, I can have what I used to think of as "maybe someday" grail pieces for very small fractions of "back then" prices, even in absolute dollars. There certainly are deeper, high-dollar parts of that pool to swim in if/when I want to do so, but my inner child is mostly happy ticking off those long-ago mental checkboxes.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
on the other hand, they put in mtg cards in antiques roadshow now, so it's deffo more of a sic transit gloria mundi sorta thing than a collectibles are always worthless thing. they always have dog poo poo liquidity, is the thing, and the markets for them always have those crap-liquidity problems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4es-meXHk_U

bad liquidity makes peeps go nuts. it always does, honest to god

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, collectibles are highly generational and always will be. When the 90’s kids start dying off, I’m sure people will be grumbling about Grandpa hanging on to his MTG collection the same way I am about my dad’s coins.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Volmarias posted:

My mom sold off my dad's collection after he died for pennies on the dollar and 20+ years later I still have some 1, 2, 3 etc cent stamps laying around because we used up the large denomination stamps a decade back, and you need a legal sized envelope now to actually get to first class postage rates with all the tiny valued stamps. You also have to go into a post office and have them hand cancelled in order to send mail with them. They basically have negative value at this point, but you'll probably make some postal worker's day.

I think the only thing I got out of his collection is knowing the word philatelist.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I think with boomers dying off, supply in any collectibles market is off the charts.

I know that a lot of low value "collectible" stamps on eBay are sold to other eBay sellers for cheap postage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My dad has told us not to just unload all his military history books somewhere for pennies when he eventually dies. Many of them are over 100 years old and are about obscure wars like the Boer war and Zulu war. A lot of other books that are valuable to people with interest in them, but not the general public.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Cacafuego posted:

My dad has told us not to just unload all his military history books somewhere for pennies when he eventually dies. Many of them are over 100 years old and are about obscure wars like the Boer war and Zulu war. A lot of other books that are valuable to people with interest in them, but not the general public.

I have benefited greatly from people doing exactly this. Some lady's dad died, books needed to go and I was a young historian who originally got in touch for one book but could then take my pick of the entire collection

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I think I told this story before but when my wife and I cleaned out her hoarder uncles house we cashed in the approx $1400 in small bills and coins he had collected since the 1960s "in case they were worth anything". I think we cashed out around $2000.

I put $1400 into a historical stock market calculator from 1980 until the date of his death.

Nominal Price Return: 2,808.94%
Annualized: 8.75%
Investment Grew To: $40,725.13

Nominal Total Return (with dividends reinvested): 7,861.80%
Annualized: 11.51%
Investment Grew To: $111,465.16

Thanks, uncle Warren.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
My book collection is small but pretty nice. First editions, signed copies, small print, etc. Someone could part it out and make some decent cash, but if I die before my friend Mike does he gets them all. I'd rather it go to a good home vs. selling for pennies at an estate sale.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Cacafuego posted:

Would a university library about that kind of stuff?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

Are they available on libgen?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Because at least Homer wasn't allowed to gently caress around on the factory floor as well.

The Homer is a funny one since at least a few of its ridiculous features have become standard in modern cars, for better or worse. And the whole episode is basically about BWM, given its more the nail in the coffin for Powell Motors than anything.

hmm besides the large cup holders.. what else? i mean i guess the prices have finally caught up and its a large car... kinda. but i don't see bubble domes with optional kid restraints :colbert:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Probably not with a hedge on maybe if there are any specific volumes that are rare. University libraries already liquidate huge numbers of books every year because they're not being used.

The answer is to put them all up on eBay for $.01 + shipping and let poo poo sort itself out. Anything that is worth something will probably have a few book nerds bid it up, anything that is just middling might go for a couple bucks and you sent it to someone who will enjoy it. Maybe some ebay flipper gets lucky and makes a few bucks off you, whatever dude have fun it's not my problem now thanks for the beer money.

Anything that doesn't sell for a penny just chuck in a dumpster. Or make a thread in SA Mart and offer it to people for free.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

People vastly, vastly over estimate how much museums and university libraries want your old poo poo. If it's actually historically significant or rare? Sure, maybe. But no, the Smithsonian doesn't want your grandpa's uniform from WW2 unless grandpa had the word "General" in front of his name on poo poo. Even then he probably better be a general people gave a poo poo about and not the dude in charge of training camps for the Arizona National Guard or something.

If you don't want it and it isn't bigtime historically significant, just throw it on ebay and sell it to someone who wants to collect that poo poo. A WW2 National Guard rear area general's uniform is probably worth a couple thousand to some collector out there.

The only real exception is memoirs, university libraries can store that stuff basically for free and they'll happily leave a copy to gather dust until some grad student gets bored enough to flip through it it in between the things his advisor told him to look at.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I do arbitrage with low tier fine art. Buy for $500 at estate auction and sell for $2000 on eBay. The auctions provide speed over top dollar while eBay provides top dollar over speed. Most people selling off estates just want to get rid of everything on the house because the house is by far the most valuable asset in the estate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fil5000 posted:

I mean even the episode where he makes his money back shows that Herb was an engineer rather than a businessman. If he'd stuck to designing the cars himself and put someone else in charge of running the business he might have been ok

Probably, just the whole episode clearly has Powell Motors as a stand-in for American manufacturers in the 90s that just refuse to make cars that aren't overpriced poo poo and baffled at why Japanese cars are eating their lunch.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I guess it's nice to be recognized for something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is politics, not BWM. It's not even clear who paid for that and whoever did it's not relevant for this thread.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
okay ron

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Now they just need a giant Jesus.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Desert Bus posted:

Now they just need a giant Jesus.

Still not #1 in statues of the Green Giant though.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Motronic posted:

This is politics, not BWM. It's not even clear who paid for that and whoever did it's not relevant for this thread.

eh spending 240K on a grotesquely large cross seems BWM.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Strong Sauce posted:

not when it's part of a thing designed to get everyone to tithe their money to their church, that's just advertising expenses

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Strong Sauce posted:

Religions have been building extravagant monuments since pretty much always, it's hard to imagine they're all just shoveling money down the toilet. Isn't the academic theory around monument building that it's kind of like advertising as signaling that represents an organization is healthy enough to do useless, gaudy stuff?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
That's the same reason people take out 100k loans to buy trucks

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Mantle posted:

Are they available on libgen?

Both good questions, I’ll have to ask him and dig around to see exactly what he has. The only thing I know for sure he has is the full set of the Time Life WW2 books like here: https://a.co/d/4vnJyGf

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Eh. Giving 10% of your income to an organization that will do that kind of stuff with it is BWM, sure, but it's so obviously BWM that it's not just picking low hanging fruit, it's picking mushrooms. It's all the way through the topic of this thread and out the other side.

Then again crypto and 20% vehicle loans are in the same category so we probably wouldn't have much of a thread without it

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Thank god for Mississippi

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I'm sure Bavaria has them beat

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Here's another picture of that giant cross:

Whoever in that small town of 5000 people (that is 70% black according to Wikipedia, but you wouldn't know it from the picture above) that owns the construction company that supplied the corrugated aluminum sheet metal is pretty good with money, imo.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It's just ugly as poo poo. Like, it's the most basic, functional possible thing to let people know they like Jesus, no art, artistry or joy to it l.