Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fair point but it's still unreasonably difficult considering she's just a regular person (as far as I know). You can dig up information from other people, or beings, they don't want you to way easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's a commentary on the subject matter. We'll see quite readily that most if not all of the checks for the rest of the game are reasonable and scale predictably.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I take it as a response to 'This information does not and could not possibly matter to you in any way, you have nothing to gain from it and all getting them to talk about it does is embarrass them about a part of Anevia's life that she'd rather forget.'

I've never even taken the dialogue path where that check appears.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sosiel is kind of unique in the sense that he actually tries to pursue you during the romance instead of you giving him items until his heart meter fills up. My dude was leaving love notes in my camp pack!

Edit: Yeah I never got that dialogue prompt either. I didn't want to pry.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Cythereal posted:

something something heavenly body
Galfrey says, if you try, you can bugger the sky
Or a star-constellation as it passes by
You can bugger an Angel (unless they would fall)
But Miss Nenio can never be buggered at all.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
:golfclap:

So she's a hedgehog as well as a fox?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Testekill posted:

I was going through the IMDB page for this and there's actually quite a few names that I recognised. I bought up Amelia Tyler before who plays Wenduag but has gotten more famous as the narrator from Baldur's Gate 3, Erika Schroeder plays a character we haven't met yet and voiced the 4kids Monkey D. Luffy, Minagho is played by the woman who played Linzee in Kingmaker, Irabeth is played by Lisa Ortiz and Deskari is played by Major Attaway who played Queen in One Piece.

I just looked through the voice cast list for this game and I recognize none of them, for what it's worth. A handful played very small parts in things I've played or seen, but that's about it.

Beats yet another appearance by Jennifer Hale doing one of the two voices almost everyone hires Jennifer Hale to do, I suppose.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Testekill posted:

[...]Irabeth is played by Lisa Ortiz [...]

I did not know that, and god drat it, I will no longer be able to not hear Lina Inverse whenever Irabeth has a line now.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

TLM3101 posted:

I did not know that, and god drat it, I will no longer be able to not hear Lina Inverse whenever Irabeth has a line now.

Same!! I thought I recognized this voice somewhere.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Same!! I thought I recognized this voice somewhere.

The question now is... Can I make a reasonable stab at creating

a) Gourry

b) Zelgadis

c) Amelia

or

d) Xellos

in this game...? Quick! To the chargen-mobile!

( Also, hi again, Cyth, I'm enjoying this LP quite a bit so far, and all the more so because you don't seem to be actively subjecting yourself to horribleness for our sake. )

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Well, one possible set:

Gourry, human fighter, specialize in either longsword or greatsword and look for a weapon with the Brilliant Energy trait. Zelgadis, oread magus. (Not an optimal combination, but what can you do?) Amelia, human, probably an inquisitor. Could go paladin, but light/no armor seems to fit her style better. Xelloss, probably a tiefling, cleric and sorcerer with a mystic theurge prestige class.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Lisa Ortiz also did a voice set for the player character (Female, Brave).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Gourry, Chaotic Good Fighter, 3 int.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Lina has to be an Eldritch Scion Magus, she has to be.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Call to Arms, Part Three

Let's start today with Sosiel's first mythic ability. You see, many divine classes in this game interact with what are called domains, suites of special benefits and spells reflecting their god's particular responsibilities and spheres of influence. Sosiel has the Good domain, making him more effective at fighting enemies of evil alignment, and the Luck domain, giving him a variety of ways to manipulate the RNG in his favor. Good and Luck are both domains that Shelyn grants.

This is where the Impossible Domain mythic ability comes in, letting a character with access to domains pick up another of their choosing regardless of their deity's normal portfolio. There's a number of ways to use this, and here is one of the most obvious: let's get another animal companion for the team!

I picked a mastodon because it amuses me.

Next stop, Nenio.

"What I mean is, ahem, I'd like to express my deepest gratitude. I foresee immense potential in our future cooperation!"
"Happy to help."
"Hand in hand, we will unravel the greatest mysteries inaccessible to the minds of ordinary people. Just imagine it — I, leading the way, proudly staring into the faces of the gods themselves, and you, my loyal follower, walking behind me every step of the way, writing down my deepest thoughts and admiring the profundity of my intellect!"
"Do you always express your delight so effusively?"

I'm told that this is where the mod to romance Nenio starts, getting a chance to geek out with her. Besides the furry thing, I can see how Nenio would be candy to a certain kind of nerdy player.

(She frowns, but only for an instant.) "Ah, I see. Your modest nature was unsettled by the overabundance of my gratitude. I do apologize for putting you in such an awkward position. I will never praise you again. Unless I forget. But let's get back to the business at hand! Your new assignment will be to take me to the inconspicuous ruins that are located in an even more inconspicuous valley lying between Kenabres and Drezen, as soon as is reasonably practicable. I'll mark the place on your map with a large red cross, so you won't forget it!"
"What's so special about these ruins?"
"I'm glad you asked! This is my greatest hypothesis, my secret project, and I won't pass up the opportunity to share it with you, because you are my most loyal follower, and you are worthy of possessing such knowledge!" (Nenio rubs her nose.) "And also because you are the first person to ever ask me about it. Some time ago I was walking around the border of the Worldwound and I met a strange person. He was wearing a frayed gray robe and his face was hidden behind an odd white mask. Of course, I didn't miss the opportunity to ask him about the reasons for his absurd appearance, and do you know what he said to me? He said, 'I am the answer, but what is the question?' Then he walked off in the direction of the Worldwound. The next day, after I had already forgotten about the first encounter, I had another similar encounter. This time I met an elven woman — judging by the pointy ears sticking out from behind the mask. 'I am the answer, but what is the question?' she said, before taking off toward the Worldwound. And then I realized! Everything became clear to me! I know a mystery when I see one! Consider this one of my myriad talents!" (Nenio rubs the tip of her nose.) "After all, all these guisers weren't simply on their way to a costume party, were they? After examining several maps, I determined that they were all heading in one direction — to a place not far from Kenabres, a place which is marked as 'nameless ruins' even on ancient Sarkorian maps."
"So what do you expect to find there?"
"I haven't the slightest idea! If I knew what was hidden there, I wouldn't be so eager to go."
"Thank you, that's all I wanted to know."

I am undecided at this time whether I'm actually going to finish Nenio's quest. This first leg of it is fine, but later it involves a monument to things I despise about Owlcat's game design. Fortunately it also doesn't really matter to anything unless you're really, really invested in Nenio as a character.

"Crustacean! Cogitation! Not the best rhymes, don't you think? Well, this experiment was unsuccessful — we learned that I have no poetic talent after all." (Nenio sighs.) "But it's no reason to despair. Having a gift of poetry in addition to my inexhaustible intelligence would have been a little too much. Besides, I am catastrophically busy, and have no time to spend on writing poetry."
"I have to go."
(Nenio produces a crumpled piece of paper from her sleeve and takes some notes on it.) "This conversation lasted approximately five minutes." (She lifts her chin.) "By the way, did you know that is the exact same amount of time the inquisitors of Kenabres need to find a defendant guilty? But to shake off inquisitors chasing you takes five times as long. That experiment proved that running while clad in heavy armor is not burdensome for them at all."

I think there's an argument to be made that Nenio actually should have quite a high Charisma stat to reflect that she's somehow managed to not get killed yet despite saying the things she does. :v:

Let's check in with that inquisitor dude who came with Galfrey.

"Are you one of Prelate Hulrun's followers?"
:catholic: (Liotr's face freezes for a moment, but he nods) "Yes, of course.
"What is your opinion on his atrocities?"
:catholic: "The Prelate is an extraordinary man, but he has fallen prey to his own paranoia and monumental sense of responsibility, which has gradually eroded his razor-sharp mind. He has witnessed so much hideous darkness that he now sees it in every shadow. Yet his strength was, and still is, a shield for all the people of Mendev. That is my opinion. His comrades and advisors are necessary to prevent him from making unforgivable mistakes."
"I see. Thank you for your answer."
:catholic: "It is not an easy topic for me. I'd prefer not to discuss this again."
"So what are you doing here?"

If you killed Hulrun, this guy will opine that you've only made things worse in Kenabres (he doesn't know the PC specifically killed him, just that somebody did... unless you tell him you were responsible, which you can do). Hulrun, however deeply flawed, nevertheless also had very strongly held principles. And Galfrey's new crusade has removed two of the few people - Irabeth and Anevia - with a record of keeping his excesses in check. Someone is going to fill his position, and knowing that Hulrun was ambushed and killed, his replacement is likely to be doubly paranoid in a dead man's shoes.

"You're going to investigate this old case again, aren't you?"
:catholic: "Yes, I am. I have several reasons to doubt the widely shared account of what exactly happened at the estate and how it happened. You see, Commander, I was among those sent to examine the estate after the incident. I saw everything with my own eyes and I still remember it clearly, even though it feels like it happened a lifetime ago. Heaven's Edge was a unique place that still carried the spirit of old Mendev, Mendev before the Worldwound. And yet on that day it turned into a labyrinthine house of horrors, like something only seen in our nightmares. Apologies for the digression… I wanted to tell you about my suspicions. Everything about the incident seemed odd.
:catholic: Why was the only person left alive a young boy with a newfound talent for divine magic? Why did nobody send to Kenabres for help, even though the agony spanned many hours? We found the demons dead, with their heads cut off, when we got into the estate — how were they defeated? How did the disease kill even the paladins present at the estate, who are said to be immune to any disease? If the demons had found a way to penetrate the holy warriors' defenses, why has this never been repeated since the tragedy at Heaven's Edge?
:catholic: You are the only person who can help me here, Commander, because the only living witness of those events is currently serving in your army. Your army's route will take you near the very site of the tragedy. Heaven's Edge has been abandoned and sealed with potent magic throughout all these years, and only the Count has the power to break that seal. He is unlikely to invite an inquisitor inside, and in any case he won't like me sniffing around his family seat. But if you, as his commander, express your wish to visit the estate, he will be obliged to fulfill it, and I will simply follow you as one of your attendants. There are a hundred ways, a thousand paths, and myriad loopholes in human lives that the forces of evil can use to their advantage. I am not sure which one of those led the demons to the gates of Heaven's Edge, but I do know it wasn't a simple raid, the kind crusaders face every day. That incident involved a significantly more powerful entity, and that is why I am asking for your help. We cannot be sure that such a tragedy will not happen again until we uncover the truth."
"Fine, I will help you. What do you need me to do?"

This is, of course, Daeran's sidequest. There are horrors besides demons in this part of the world.

:catholic: "If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me. I will remain here for a while."

Much like Ember, Daeran is getting his power from something or someone. While Dungeons and Dragons has a history of explicitly permitting atheists to be divine classes drawing from a variety of non-theistic sources of power, Daeran and Ember are nothing of the sort.

I'm not sure if Ember's patron comes up without prying into her backstory, I'll see how her quest unfolds.

"I'd love to visit Heaven's Edge and see the Arendae estate someday."
"Oh! I was just about to mention it myself! I've been thinking… Now that I'm in the middle of this whole crusade nonsense, I simply must devise new ways to have fun. With all the recent commotion, my birthday completely slipped my mind. What if we were to celebrate it at Heaven's Edge? It's not far from here, and you'll get to enjoy a banquet in an bona fide haunted house! (Daeran seems to have trouble getting the words out, which clearly indicates how rarely he has to ask for anything.) "Since you're my... superior, and I'm your... advisor, I am obliged to ask your permission to leave for the festivities. And I want to invite you, too. I'm sure the Commander can free up an afternoon while the soldiers are on leave."
"All right, deal."
"Perfect. You'll have a ball, I'll make sure of it!" (Something strange flickers in Daeran's smile.)

And with that, I am finally done with the base camp! No one else has anything to say (just various flavors of 'yup that sure is some weird power you've juiced me up with'), so it's time to get a move on at last.

So, who all has played any of the Heroes of Might and Magic series? Because a lot of the people working at Owlcat worked on that series, and by God they want you to know it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

CommissarMega posted:

Lina has to be an Eldritch Scion Magus, she has to be.

I don't know. Magus can only use up to 6th level spells and Dragon Slave seems a bit higher than that.

[reads latest update]

A horse, a raptor, and a mastodon. The menagerie is developing nicely. :)

If you want to skip the puzzles in Nenio's quest, there's a mod for that. It was the first I invested in after Toybox.

Nenio's rhymes are funny. I like "Iomedae says 'Deskari, go away! If you want to play, you have to pay!'"

If you talk to Ember about Soot and pass a hidden Religion check, you can learn about an entity that may be her patron.

Looking forward to seeing you try out Crusade Mode.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The crusade mode is fun the first bit of the game where you have to actually build the army, but once you get a good doom stack, it's all over.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

TLM3101 posted:

She definitely sounds like Lisa is doing her Lord of Nightmares voice.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What, no option to tell Nenio to find a rhyme for 'orange'? :smug:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Crusader mode is fun...ish? It has a few weird flaws that make defense a mostly losing option, so you just go hyper-offense, which largely translates to "several stacks of archers and a spellcaster general." Indeed, you can hire a general immediately that makes almost this entire early bit easymode thanks to judicious usage of scorching rays.

I always give Sosiel a boar named Trevboar. Every animal companion must have an equally stupid name. Iomeneigh, Trevboar, Wendog (who's a lizard), Queen Growlfry.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Cythereal posted:

So, who all has played any of the Heroes of Might and Magic series? Because a lot of the people working at Owlcat worked on that series, and by God they want you to know it.

It's one of these things where Owlcat Slavic origins really shows, Slavs love their HoMM. Especially third part.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Now that I'm in the middle of this whole crusade nonsense, I simply must devise new ways to have fun.

Will we learn that it's a brave facade he's putting up or something, or he's that out of touch?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Every time Daeran talks, this is the voice you should hear in your head:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Gun Jam posted:

Will we learn that it's a brave facade he's putting up or something, or he's that out of touch?

He's gonna try his best to make the crusade life as interesting as possible to himself, personally. This occasionally will align with our interests.

Occasionally.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Cythereal posted:

Call to Arms, Part Three

<Nenio dialogue>

Not having played the game I had no position in the question of whether Nenio is a likeable character or insufferable. Now I do. What an incredibly obnoxious person she's written as.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Not having played the game I had no position in the question of whether Nenio is a likeable character or insufferable. Now I do. What an incredibly obnoxious person she's written as.

manic pixie dream wizard

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I feel compelled to point this out- if you talk to Nenio again in the camp you can get more interaction with her including some race specific dialogue and a physical/psychological examination. What Cythreal showed off with the rhyming is available in Act 1 if you talk with Nenio in the tavern. Her Act 2 conversation is different and hopefully still available. There are also unique conversations in upcoming acts. All are obnoxious and/or amusing depending on your point of view.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

Well, one possible set:

Gourry, human fighter, specialize in either longsword or greatsword and look for a weapon with the Brilliant Energy trait. Zelgadis, oread magus. (Not an optimal combination, but what can you do?) Amelia, human, probably an inquisitor. Could go paladin, but light/no armor seems to fit her style better. Xelloss, probably a tiefling, cleric and sorcerer with a mystic theurge prestige class.

So, here's what I've come up with...

Gourry. Human fighter, so pretty straightforward. Going with longsword ( despite it not being an actual longsword, but DnD and its derivatives have been making that mistake since forever so I'm not going on the rant that I want to go on about it ) and low int, but surprisingly high wis.

Zelgadis. Oread Spirit Hunter Shaman. Camellia's archetype works surprisingly well for a sorcerer-swordsman type. Might be desirable to dual-class him as something else later.

Amelia. Human Inquisitor/Monk dual-class to really capture that whole... thing she and Philionel has going on.

Xellos. Yeah, Tiefling Cleric/Sorcerer multiclass going into Theurge sounds about right, honestly.

e:

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Nenio is a character-type that I usually can't stand, but for some weird reason, possibly the tone of the voice-acting, it doesn't get nearly as annoying as it otherwise would. She's still not my first choice, but she's not nearly as bad as the text alone makes her out to be, in my opinion.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Yeah, her VA is just so earnest that you really believe she doesn't mean anything negative to you when she says you're not important enough to remember. The only reason she even remembers her own name is just because books need authors for proper citation, after all.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nenio is that friend at the D&D table who is being kooky for the sake of it and for some reason the DM indulges their habit so every other encounter becomes a variation of 'I chew on the corner of the desk.' 'Okay the baron gives you a confused look and then continues his plea for you to help rescue his daughter.'

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Disquiet

Welcome to the Worldwound.

First things first, the army. Because I paid Irabeth for reinforcements, I have a starting army of 200 footmen (basic melee troops), 50 archers (glass cannons), and 20 clerics (support units).

I was expecting to see something else here, I'd been told that each race of the PC started off with a different third unit, but instead they all seem to be clerics unless that comes later.

An army needs a general, paid for by campaign funds (the gem icon, and you can convert the party's carrying-around gold into campaign funds if need be). There are three types of general: warrior, ranger, and mage. And I've hung around the fandom long enough to be well aware that, as in most HOMM games, mages are by far the best.

I hire Chief Ageboya of the four available. Scorching Ray gives her a powerful single-target attack, Spellcraft makes all her spells more effective, and Elemental Protection makes all units in her army more resistant to elemental damage.

I spend the rest of the starting funds on recruiting more archers for Ageboya's army.

However, her service will not be called for today. There's a few places we can go without an army battle already, and one of them is Sosiel's sidequest.

:j: (An elven woman with her face bathed in tears steps up to the grave. She whispers,) "The painting... It burned like everything else in the house. There is nothing left for me to remember you by. Nothing."
:( (A young man throws a handful of soil into the open grave and stands beside it for a while, lost in thought. Finally, he sighs and steps back.)
(Sosiel throws a handful of soil into the grave in front of him. He takes a breath and prepares to speak, but it seems that he simply cannot find the right words. The cleric wipes his tear-filled eyes, gathers his resolve, and says in a gentle voice,) "I wish you a warm welcome in Shelyn's realm. We will win this war, I swear to you. We'll banish this ugliness and evil, make the world richer and let peace blossom in it. We'll make sure anything like this... this..." (He breaks into sobs mid-sentence, then falls silent without finishing his declaration.)
[Good] "Thank you for everything you've done for us."
(Sosiel is too absorbed in his grief to hear you, but the other mourners nod in approval, wiping their teary eyes.)
:( "They were good people. I can't believe they're gone."
:j: "What is that?" (An elven woman shrieks in horror, disrupting the atmosphere of silent mourning. Her trembling hand points at something moving inside a grave. Suddenly, a corpse climbs out of the ground, wafting a horrible stench from its rotting body.)
:( "It's a zombie! Run!"

Remember the cultist necromancer from the market square? Yeah, he was far from the only cultist with an interest in the subject.

It's a fun little ambush, zombies will keep rising out of the graves in a few waves with you square in the middle.

Superior training and superior magic have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped wizards can stand up to many more times their lessen brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate.

"Take a look at this..." (Sosiel hands off a black onyx gem to you — once precious, this stone is now covered in cracks, falling apart in your grip as you examine the engraved minotaur's head — the unholy symbol of Baphomet. The cleric's voice, perplexed at first, fills with rage as he speaks.) "Cultists. Simply murdering my friends was not enough for them. No, they had to come to the funeral and desecrate their graves!"
"I'm sorry you had to go through this."
"Thank you. I had already said goodbye to them. Seeing them again, in that form... Shelyn as my witness, it was not easy. Wait! The townspeople fled the undead without knowing they have a traitor among them! Wherever they are, they're in great danger. We must find them."

While Wrath generally is a heroic power fantasy, if you play it that way, there's quite a lot of seriously ugly poo poo in the game courtesy of the bad guys. The difference between Wrath and, say, Warhammer 40k is that I don't get the impression that Wrath's writers are getting off on it.

Believe it or not, this isn't a trap.

"Who are you?"
:zombie: "Baroness Ninelle Bollard, at your service." (The dead woman bobs a clumsy curtsy, her legs barely supporting her.) "My estate is not too far from here. Let me assure you that all of you are always welcome there, assuming you are properly attired!"
"I hate to break it to you, but you actually are dead."
:zombie: "How dare you! What utter foolishness. Do I look like a corpse to you? No, no, no. You forget yourself! You should be ashamed to say such things to a..." (The dead baroness wags her finger at you in a chastising manner, but cuts herself short, staring at her own hand in horror.) "What? How? This simply cannot be! I shan't permit it!"
"I'm afraid it's true. I am truly sorry. This graveyard was desecrated by a necromancer. It seems that he disturbed your rest as well."
:zombie: "The dead woman covers her face with what remains of her decaying hands.) "So, I died, but even in death the accursed servants of the Abyss torment me? Can nothing be done? Perhaps you could lay me to rest? I quite enjoyed my life in this world, but now there is no place for me here. Not in this miserable form."
"Would you like me to pass along any words of comfort to your friends or family while you're here?"

I kind of love this little scene.

[Lay the dead to rest] "Rest in peace."
:zombie: "Thank you. Do feel free to take my burial jewelry. Those pieces are dreadfully out of fashion where I am going anyway."

If your PC worships Pharasma, they can be especially indignant throughout this whole sidequest.

Is it really grave robbing if the resident of said grave invited you to take it?

Moving ahead, the street is filled with zombies. Including one unlucky fellow who survives a hit from Radiance only to fall to Seelah's horse biting him.

Attacking head-on is a workable idea, but the game is actually well-balanced on things like this.

The side path has a treasure chest with contents worth about as much as you'd get from the zombies, and you get xp from picking the lock and passing the athletics skill checks that's about what you'd get from killing the zombies.

:byodood: "All you have to do is die in the name of Baphomet! Have faith, you can do it!"

These days I'd have a retort like 'How about you go first as a demonstration?' out of my mouth before my eyes properly understood what's happening, but my sense of narrative irony at the time was still developing.

"This is the end of your blasphemous magic! I won't let you harm the living or the dead any more!"
:byodood: "Do you think I need your permission? Hey bonebags, get up and kill!"

Despite Sosiel's valiant cutscene power, the cultist raises some more experience points.

Alas, the cultist is standing within move range of six adventurers, a horse, a velociraptor, and a mammoth.

It's over in a single round.

"You damned rat! How dare you?!" (Suddenly, Sosiel becomes a totally different person. The artist's delicate hands clench into fists, while his voice comes out as a menacing roar. He leaps at the necromancer and breaks his nose with a single blow.) "You scumbag! I remember you! You came to our temple begging for healing just a month ago! We fed you! We shared our table with you and took you in! Then you... you... I'll... I don't even know what I am going to do to you!"
:byodood: "Stop it! I surrender! You're..." (Sosiel ignores the necromancer's cries of pain, punching him right in the teeth. The necromancer spits blood but continues, fighting past the wild blows to his increasingly bruised and busted face:) "You are a priest of Shelyn! I've surrendered, so you have to spare my life... Your goddess demands it!"
"Is he telling the truth? Your religion doesn't allow you to kill him?"

A recurring idea in Wrath, that we've seen before but is here being laid out plainly, is that evil people will often try to use the principles of good people against them. And indeed if you take the evil route here, the necromancer explains that the whole reason he was sent to the temple of Shelyn as Sosiel noted, and then did all of this, was that one of the higher-ups in Baphomet's cult identified Sosiel as a potential recruit, if he could be provoked into falling.

:byodood: "I'm just repeating your own sermons back to you! Come on, Sosiel, try to make me repent my sins. Perhaps your kind words will make me abandon Baphomet's teachings, run to Shelyn for redemption, and start knitting some masterpieces of my own!" (The cultist smirks impudently.)
[Good] "Stop, Sosiel. It's not worth breaking your vows to your goddess because of filth like him!"
(Sosiel looks at the battered necromancer's face, then at his bloodied hands in disgust. He slowly lowers and unclenches his fists.) "Thank you for stopping me. I almost broke my vows because of this... this... I had absolutely no idea there was so much rage in me. I... It's a shame, a disgrace, but I must admit that I enjoyed beating him. Forgive me for letting you see me like this. It should never have happened." (Sosiel wipes the necromancer's blood off his knuckles and steps away from him.) "You are the Commander and he is your captive. It's up to you to decide his fate."
:byodood: "I surrender. Here, take everything I've got, just don't kill me..." (The cultist turns out his pockets.)
"I will send a messenger with orders to imprison the cultist. His deeds will be punished to the fullest extent of the law."

In Wrath's story and portrayal of people, one of the most common ways for good people to fall into brutality, cruelty, and outright evil is for them to eventually stoop to their adversaries' level. When faced with unrepentant shitheads like this, the proverbial devil who recites scripture to serve his purposes, people who knowingly play on the principles and ethics that good people hold themselves to, there is a powerful temptation to say gently caress it I'm not playing your games and repay evil in like coin.

We've seen it before with Hulrun, there's cut content indicating that Galfrey was at one point going to have a character arc where she could fall into evil with prodding from the PC, and it's a major issue for Sosiel. We will see this idea come up again in the future.

(Sosiel examines the devastated graveyard, then diverts his attention to the terrified townspeople.) "It's all right. You're safe now. We should bury the bodies again. This is a place of peace and we must not leave it desecrated like this."
(The townsfolk are clearly terrified of even looking at the fallen undead, but Sosiel's soft words reassure them. As they work together, the graveyard soon regains its tranquil appearance.)
(After a prayer, Sosiel bows his head before the graves of his friends for the last time.)"May the Eternal Rose grant them peace at last. Let's be on our way. We have many more innocents to protect from the horrors of this war."

One battle is won, both for the Worldwound and for Sosiel's soul. The war goes on.

The Crimson Path (this update)

Skeletons 2
Zombies 19

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 1, 2024

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
My issue is that, especially for spoiler path game does very little to answer the question "why am I supposed to save someone who's obviously going to keep killing innocent people" and the only person that actually points it out is, ironically, Daeran.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

In this particular case, the response of the law is likely to be "hang this fucker". He clearly committed murder and/or attempted murder by means of a blunt instrument (zombie fists). He can repent on the way to the gallows and maybe save his soul, though.

The key issue is not whether the undead hobbyist survives or not, it's whether Sosiel beats him to death with his bare hands when he's already surrendered and helpless and is pleading for his life. This is, generally speaking, an action that would be frowned upon by his Goddess as well as polite society.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
One of the reasons Sosiel is the only cleric of Shelyn involved in the Crusade is that Shelyn is a goddess of times of peace. She's not very "pro-violence," and while she's not a pacifistic goddess, she is fairly firm against being the aggressor. That's both great for someone trying to work through latent rage issues, and also really not great for someone with latent rage issues putting themselves into a position where that rage is going to come out.

The game likes to play around a bit with ideas of redemption. The mythic path a few people have alluded to is far from the best example of it, but then you also have a character who's yet to be introduced, you have Seelah in her backstory, and, should you choose to go down those paths, you have Daeren and Wendy. And, of course, Woljif's inner conflict is choosing between the selfish but powerful demonic heritage vs the "power of friendship" human side.

That said, the game is also kinda firm that no, not everyone can be brought around. Beyond the myriad of NPCs we will kill along the way, there's Mel, a very happy psychopath who has no "redemption" story beyond futzing with the timeline and putting her into a mental care institute when she was younger. There's also going to be plenty of places where NPCs try to butter us up and beg for peace that they really, really don't deserve, and won't do anything good with.

On the Crusade side of things...yeah, it's no contest, mage generals stand leagues above all others. Chief Ageboyo is one of two prime "best" leaders, the other being the beloved Setsuna Shy, who even starts off slightly better then Ageboyo does, with a rank in the "have more dudes in your army" skill (though this balances out soon enough). The two most important things in the Crusade battles are killing the other guy and keeping your guys alive, and nothing does either of those better then a judicious use of magic. Scorching Ray alone is going to win a lot of fights in Chapter 2, and that eventually upgrades to AoE spells. A Mage general can start a fight by just instantly wiping out several stacks of enemy troops. Of course, the enemy also gets mage generals, and you'll quickly realize they're substantially more dangerous then their non-mage counterparts.

For all I talk up using animal companion mounts, ambushes like these are the very sharp counterargument. Jumping on your loyal steed takes an action, and the first round is the most important in the battle; spending your full round just getting on your horsey suuuuuuuucks.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Szarrukin posted:

My issue is that, especially for spoiler path game does very little to answer the question "why am I supposed to save someone who's obviously going to keep killing innocent people" and the only person that actually points it out is, ironically, Daeran.
Is "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" an option here?

Cythereal posted:

Superior training and superior magic have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped wizards can stand up to many more times their lessen brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate.

Don't think this line fits Nenio (admittedly, I dislike this quote placement as the spartan into - it may factor into that).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

idonotlikepeas posted:

In this particular case, the response of the law is likely to be "hang this fucker". He clearly committed murder and/or attempted murder by means of a blunt instrument (zombie fists). He can repent on the way to the gallows and maybe save his soul, though.

The key issue is not whether the undead hobbyist survives or not, it's whether Sosiel beats him to death with his bare hands when he's already surrendered and helpless and is pleading for his life. This is, generally speaking, an action that would be frowned upon by his Goddess as well as polite society.

The other non-evil option, besides what I picked in this update, is to go "Sosiel may be a priest of Shelyn, but I'm not. By the powers vested in me by Queen Galfrey as Knight-Commander of the Fifth Crusade, I hereby sentence you to death here and now, and the sentence will be carried out immediately."

Sosiel feels guilty about feeling so relieved if you do this.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Gun Jam posted:

Don't think this line fits Nenio (admittedly, I dislike this quote placement as the spartan into - it may factor into that).

It's just a linear fighter/quadratic wizard joke.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

It is funny how mage generals are just so much better than any other class of general, zero reason not to roll with Chief Ageboyo or Setsuna Shy just at the lead of a gigantic doomstack of troops. Also not much point using anything but the Archers, Cavalry, Footmen and their associated upgrades. There are so many fun sounding troops that you can get but they're all just kinda useless at worst or mediocre at best.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Absolutely nothing beats defeating the enemy as quickly and efficiently as possible, and a general who can cast Fireball does it best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Capfalcon posted:

It's just a linear fighter/quadratic wizard joke.

It's a slightly tweaked quote from the Datalinks.