Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Firebert posted:

They didn't specify the character, but they did say that one character in Arcane is going to be getting a VGU to match the changes that happen to them in season 2. This was from the same video that they announced all of the Arcane s2 tie-ins coming like Ambessa Medarda being added to LoL.

https://twitter.com/Spideraxe30/status/1743317595774693665

My hope of hopes is Singed, who desperately needs a VGU.

It will probably not be Signed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Hellioning posted:

They've taken him off the recent VGU votes at least, like Shyvana who they confirmed was getting a rework regardless at this point.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hellioning posted:

They haven't updated him since before the Warwick changes and considering how important they are to each others backstories even before the Arcane changes that makes me think it'll be him.

Or both him and Viktor, really.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Viktor is the other one I could see it being yes, his gameplay is fine he just needs better visuals.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Singed's gameplay is literally perfect they just need to make him look more like his arcane design and also make the poison clouds significantly more annoying to see through.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I mostly want them to give him actual voice lines instead of the generic responses he has right now.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

singed needs a Silent But Deadly skin. MGS aesthetics but when you activate poison it repeats fart.wav at random pitches

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Man, games where everyone reaches full build are tense.

I was able to vaporise anyone who I could shoot at, but if Kayle was able to ult and unload there was nothing we could do about it. Our win condition was Malphite ulting her and us popping her before she can ult, and if she is able to go immune then I launch her away with Tristana ult for a reset.

Thankfully we had all the elemental dragons because we were so much stronger than them early game, so in the lategame where they were terrifying we had the hp buffer.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

First time getting into the genre, went thru the tutorial and had a friend explain broadly what to do in some bot games

What I'm looking for is a place to read about why the things we are doing are meaningful because it seems inscrutable with just the game's resources. Got any good article/guide recs for understanding the tactical layer? Like how to pick lanes/what is the difference, why is there a jungler (but not more than one?), why are champs locked into particular role, why build items in a certain way, etc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sadly you're probably stuck with youtube vids not written tutorials

but in an absolute basic sense

1) top lane is long and isolated so you send guys who can solo farm and handle 1v1s up there. generally the tankier types of champions, or people who have some other way of keeping themselves safe. usually they run teleport so they can get to teamfights if they need to

2) mid lane is adjacent to both other lanes so you generally send people who can roam to the other lanes there. twisted fate is a prime example of this with his global teleport ult

3) bot lane is shorter and more gankable so you send two guys down there, one person to farm (traditionally called the ad carry, though there's a couple of ap scaling champs who can fill this role) and one person to support them (the support can also roam mid). having two people bot lane also helps contest dragon.

4) the jungle has a bunch of free exp and gold in it so you send someone there to get all that, otherwise its wasted resources just sitting there on the map. you dont send two people into the jungle because there isnt enough exp and gold there to sustain two people, just one. the fact that they're in the jungle means they can't be seen on the map (since they arent hitting your enemy minions) which means they can ambush other players or dive into lanes to help the laners. they also largely control the secondary objectives, dragons, scuttle crabs, the voidbugs/herald/baron pit, because they have smite, which lets them do a lot of damage to those and secure the kill on them. (otherwise the enemy team could potentially steal the kill with a well timed ability)

5) champs are largely locked into specific roles because of what they do. for instance with junglers there's basically three archetypes.

5.1) someone who is very good at ganking lanes to help get their team ahead (warwick, rammus, vi). these champs generally arent as good in a full 5v5 teamfight so they want to get their team ahead early with their kill potential.
5.2) farming junglers. these champs would generally struggle to actually lane so they just sit in the jungle and farm. some of them are pure dps carries, some of them have really powerful ults but are pretty weak pre-level 6. some of them have okay ganking potential pre-6 but aren't amazing at it. examples are master yi (who's the carry type who needs items) and amumu (who's the 'most of his power is in his ult' type.)
5.3) counter-junglers, who are extremely good at shutting down the enemy jungler. if they can shut out the enemy jungler then the game basically becomes a 5v4, since they can both farm their own jungle and steal the enemy jungle, starving the enemy jungler of being able to farm up and contribute. these guys are very sink or swim because if they fail to counter jungle they're usually pretty mediocre. shaco is the premiere example of this.

1 and 2 are far more common than 3. most junglers at higher levels of play will attempt to counter jungle to some extent, but champions that outright specialize in it are pretty rare.

you'll note that all of these champs have reasons they aren't really laners as much. ganking junglers are so good at ganking that having them in an actual lane where they can be seen would be a bit of a waste. farming junglers, as mentioned, would struggle to lane to begin with. counter-jungle types are similar to gankers, they're good enough at shutting down the enemy jungler that theyd have to leave lane to go gently caress with them, which would give whoever they're laning with free exp/gold.

a decent number of champs in the game have at least two roles they can perform, though. brand for instance is a mage that does a lot of burst damage in the early game, but also scales decently with items. he's run as both a jungler (since he can clear the jungle very fast due to the % max health damage on his kit, has decent ganks, and also enjoys the free farm) and as a support (since the high base damage and the fact he has a stun means he can go for kills and get the ad carry ahead).

this isnt an absolute perfect explanation and there's a lot of wiggle room in my definitions (see: quinn is almost always run top even though looking at her youd think shed be run as an adc bot, there's mid laners who arent that good at roaming) but these are the basics

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 28, 2024

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It is something that can be hard to explain due to so many moving parts and combinations of different characters on both sides warping things which ends up being a bit hard to explain verbally instead of just gut feelings everyone sorta understands, but the best tldr I can give is:

One jungle because there is a item you can only take if you have smite that improves the junglers exp/gold/regen/smite damage/whatever riot decides to change about jungle this year, recently they reduced lane experience in the early game when you have the jungle item to curb some strategies like yi jungle/taric or other support mid that just funneled yi massive gold and levels to where he could 2vs5 the game and 2vs1 the other jungler whenever they wanted, so there just wouldn't be enough experience and gold to go around if you took 2 junglers and you don't want to go 0 and leave the gold/exp/map control on the table for the other opponents.

Champs are locked to particular lanes because some just do better in those lanes due to the game mechanics, some jungle better then others, some can be left alone in a long unsafe top lane against 1v1 bullies better, some can clear the short mid lane and roam to the sides for kills easier, bot lane is traditionally where you stick your ranged AD damage and a support to ward and keep them alive long enough to scale to a late game power, but these days you see almost everything go down there and either become the new meta or bully the old meta, like double melee bruisers or double heal/shield supports or double AP.

Item builds are largely what works best on a individual champion basis, some scale off AP, others scale off AD, others are better if they stay alive longer and can spam skills faster, two people on each team needs to get the dedicated jungle and support item for the increased exp/gold/map control they offer, the in-game recommended builds these days aren't half bad so long as your champion isn't splashing into multiple roles of items like a tank taking a hp/ap item or titanic hydra or a mage taking a hp/mr item because the recommended seem to ignore those situations.

For a video guide, a minute of googling gets me this which seems okay, but it is a year out of date so the map and items have changed since then but the basics remain the same https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQbo2X2Qysc
You might try googling for 2024 guides to specific roles you want to play like mid or jungle.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Top lane is for 1v1 me bro. Mid is for 1v1 me bro but also I'm going to cry for my older brother to come if you start beating me. Bot is for people who need to feel important even though they've only just learned their mouse has 2 buttons. Jungler is the older brother. Support is the parent who tries to keep everyone else out of trouble.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Thanks for the effortposts, will look at the video when I get a chance and then gently caress around and find out with Master Yi :cheerdoge:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

master yi's a very easy champ to play at low ranks because all you have to do is clear the jungle, poke your head into a lane for 5 seconds to make your laners stop whining for ganks, clear the jungle again, wait for the enemy bot lane to back and then go get dragon, clear the jungle again, poke your head into a lane again, clear the jungle again, grats you now have two items and are unstoppable.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Sometimes some positions get taken over after one person thinks "hey, what if I just took this champion here... instead of there?" and everyone copies them as suddenly you have karma top with a support item being meta in high levels of play bullying every other top laner and ignoring cs due to the support item gold from poking the enemy and having riot a couple weeks latter having to redesign mechanics to make them stop it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and sometimes they just give up like with bot lane carry ziggs or support swain

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Tonfa posted:

Thanks for the effortposts, will look at the video when I get a chance and then gently caress around and find out with Master Yi :cheerdoge:

I recommend you start in bot lane. ADC or Support is fine. Top Lane is the ultimate "I'm on my own, no one is coming to save me" lane and is very hard. If you play jungle, you will have 4 other people bitching to you the entire game for help. And mid-lane is .... You'll get the hang of this game quickly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you want to play jungle you'll learn jungle faster playing jungle than playing bot lane

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

warwick is a decent low-intensity jungler thats pretty good for learning fundamentals with. low skill floor but there are some nuances to his skills that can be fun to figure out.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Play Sej in jungle because she's easy to play and gives you some nice escapes if need be

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Volibear extremely easy champ and very strong atm too. Just depends on what champs you think look cool--pick em, play them in the practice tool, and if you've got questions with champs can bring it here I'm positive we can throw by tips and tricks on it. A lot of goons in here been playing forever or together for a good while

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

warwick is a decent low-intensity jungler thats pretty good for learning fundamentals with. low skill floor but there are some nuances to his skills that can be fun to figure out.

Another point in favor of learning warwick jungle is he automatically takes care of some of your map awareness for a newbie by making you run faster towards low enemies across the map with a line pointing straight towards them and a loud alert noise, reminding you to hit the F1-5 keys and check what your teammates are getting up to and to check the lane situations.

You could even take him top and mid and learn the laner experience on a familiar champ, mid warwicks like to max W and just zoooooom across the map when anyone gets low.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 29, 2024

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

there's also the comedy of flying across the screen when you miss your ult

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Another point in favor of learning warwick jungle is he automatically takes care of some of your map awareness for a newbie by making you run faster towards low enemies across the map with a line pointing straight towards them and a loud alert noise, reminding you to hit the F1-5 keys and check what your teammates are getting up to and to check the lane situations.

You could even take him top and mid and learn the laner experience on a familiar champ, mid warwicks like to max W and just zoooooom across the map when anyone gets low.

This is really good advice in general, not just for Warwick. There are a bunch of "beginner" champs--not necessarily worse because they're simple, not necessarily anything people will get extra annoying in chat about because they're "ezmode", mostly who just live or die based on fundamentals and game state sense rather than high APM and good aim--that are cheap as chips, and a lot of them work in two roles at any given point in the meta. It's good to pick one or two based on fantasy and how satisfying the buttons are to push, and then focus on learning them in their main and off role.
Once you've got a good handle on them and the roles, you can branch out into learning something that counters them, to be able to recognize when you're just going to have to play scared because you're facing a counter who knows what they're doing, to be able to recognize when the "counter" just picked it because it's a counter and might have one or two moments where the numbers give them a sure win but who don't know how to actually use the advantage they get, and to always have a pick if the other team happens to grab what you want.
And once you make some progress there, you can roll said counters into their off role.

Like, just as an example of the thought process rather than an actual "do this then this" flowchart. You have Warwick jungle down, and you're beginning to realize that eventually seriously beefy boys like Volibear make you irrelevant by being fat and standing in front of who you're jumping at. Well, he runs JG and top too, you're getting double value immediately from picking him up.
Voli, though, absolutely gets dunked on in lane by Heimerdinger, who's just as happy to have a long slappy fight up in top but doesn't have to put himself in physical danger to do so. Now, Heimer is a pretty weird champ who's playable in three lanes against the right foes and playable nowhere against the wrong ones, but let's say you put in the time.
Now you can take him support, where he disallows most poke and most engage from being able to play the game. He's not as good at all, though, against pure enchanters or ADCs slumming it--say, Janna or Ashe.
And while Janna hasn't been viable anywhere outside support for like a decade, Ashe can of course not slum it and actually ADC if you've got a good amount of damage elsewhere on your team. It feels bad for her to lane against Tristana, though, because Trist does pump out the deeps reliably.
And Trist also goes mid, sometimes specifically because you have a botlane duo that just wants to lose lane gracefully and then be really useful in teamfights but you still need someone to blast a tank. Take her there, and have fun until you meet a Yasuo or Annie, who also see play as bot or support respectively.

That's 450 for WW, 1350 for Voli, 3150 for Heimer, 1350 for Janna, 450 for Ashe, 1350 for Trist, 450 for Annie, please don't play Yasuo. 8,550 f2p currency out of the 11,100 you get from the intro missions and login bonuses, 2+ champs per role, Heimer's the only one that gets particularly technical and even he's just about baiting people through your aoe field. I'm sure there are better routes for the current balance and for what the balance can probably be expected to become, and of course if you really like a particular role and that role is not mid you can usually just focus on it, but you get the idea?

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
The problem with Arcane is how expensive it is to do. From a financial standpoint, it was a failure, though it was an amazing show just going by how expensive even lovely animated shows are. It's mostly a showcase of the talent of the studio that's actually producing it, Fortiche. It was very smart of them getting their names on it.

The mmo most likely got reset due to Greg Street leaving. It's funny how Riot is broadcasting how much it will be behind closed doors while Street is doing the exact opposite.

The fighting game has a dumb name, and I'll guess it will have the same problems of LOR and Forge. The audience for fighting games just isn't big enough for Riots appetite even if it's awesome. Like Street fighter 6 is a big success, and it's like only made 60 million. I personally think it will have trouble as it'll be real easy to blame your partner when combos drop.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Buckwheat Sings posted:

The problem with Arcane is how expensive it is to do. From a financial standpoint, it was a failure, though it was an amazing show just going by how expensive even lovely animated shows are. It's mostly a showcase of the talent of the studio that's actually producing it, Fortiche. It was very smart of them getting their names on it.

The mmo most likely got reset due to Greg Street leaving. It's funny how Riot is broadcasting how much it will be behind closed doors while Street is doing the exact opposite.

The fighting game has a dumb name, and I'll guess it will have the same problems of LOR and Forge. The audience for fighting games just isn't big enough for Riots appetite even if it's awesome. Like Street fighter 6 is a big success, and it's like only made 60 million. I personally think it will have trouble as it'll be real easy to blame your partner when combos drop.

It's just as likely Greg Street left because Riot changed the MMO direction.

Also Arcane was an advertisement and always was, same as the competitive stuff. It's allowed to cost more than it makes because it sells the rest of the company. The problem Arcane likely had, if it had any, is that people said don't play League to people who got into the setting via Arcane, and Riot lacked other options for people to be funnelled into after Arcane sells the world to them.

Also being able to blame other people is part of how MOBAs keep a casual audience.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Arcane came out after LoR launched and at basically the same time as The Ruined King, and TFT had already been around for a while. Ultimately, I think watching a good TV show is satisfying enough for most people, and there's rarely a desire to immediately dive into an expanded media universe afterward

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Super Librarian posted:

Arcane came out after LoR launched and at basically the same time as The Ruined King, and TFT had already been around for a while. Ultimately, I think watching a good TV show is satisfying enough for most people, and there's rarely a desire to immediately dive into an expanded media universe afterward

TFT is inside the League of Legends launcher on computer, Ruined King was not well advertised and Legends of Runterra is a card game which are almost as niche as MOBAs are, with the added issue of it being in an arena with three 300 pound gorillas (Magic the Gathering Arena, Hearthstone and Yu-gi-oh Master Duel).

But you're not wrong that also people were plenty satisfied with the good TV show from a consumer base. I'm just saying that the failure wasn't in the expense, but that Arcane watchers weren't converted into customers for Riot, which is ultimately what all forms of marketing from a business standpoint are intended to do.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's just as likely Greg Street left because Riot changed the MMO direction.

Ultimately no one knows but Ghostcrawler, but I believe he left because of deaths in his close family and the impending RTO order.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

he's stated elsewhere that he also found the extremely lengthy production process necessitated by a company like riot burdensome when it came to actually getting new ideas into production, which is why he started up an indie studio to make an MMO after taking time off. i think it was just a confluence of factors that made him reevaluate what he wanted to do in life, and heading up the insanely high stress role of project lead for the league MMO for the next 3+ years wasn't it

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Riot should just commission insanely talented authors to make canon books.

I would suggest either M.L. Wang, Brandon Sanderson, or Joe Abercrombie.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Riot doesn’t realize if you want to convert people into giving you lots of money you need something for them to glom onto that isn’t a 15 year old sweaty nerd MOBA. Fortnite is popular because it’s easy to get into and brings in the Star Wars.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Fortnite also sucks poo poo and is for babies

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this is also true of league

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Riot doesn’t realize if you want to convert people into giving you lots of money you need something for them to glom onto that isn’t a 15 year old sweaty nerd MOBA. Fortnite is popular because it’s easy to get into and brings in the Star Wars.

That was their entire founding business model and it made them truckloads of money, I'm pretty sure they realize it

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Trying to make a big MMO in this day and age with one of the WoW devs begs to differ.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Fajita Queen posted:

That was their entire founding business model, and it made them truckloads of money, I'm pretty sure they realize it

When League came out, it was considered the approachable MOBA if you could believe that. DOTA, HON, and DOTA 2 were pretty rough to get into. Not to mention, free to play was also a new cool thing, too. I'm pretty sure LOL was one of the first to champion that

The other thing was a pretty massive hungry audience of Moba players looking for the big thing after playing user maps off of War craft 3.

Nowadays, neither of those is true. Learning and actually enjoying League will take someone at least 100 hours while you could just download Fornite or something and have fun out the gate.

Riot’s lucky they got Valorant and TFT because while I don't think League will completely die its not gonna be the biggest game in the world anytime soon.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Endorph posted:

this is also true of league

extremely incorrect

Invalid Validation posted:

Trying to make a big MMO in this day and age with one of the WoW devs begs to differ.

wow took the framework of an existing game and turned it into one of the most successful live service games ever created. riot certainly thought it can do the same given its success with league so its not that big a stretch

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Firebert posted:

Ultimately no one knows but Ghostcrawler, but I believe he left because of deaths in his close family and the impending RTO order.

It seems unlikely it was the RTO order, unless he was doing it to be a self sacrifice for more junior people on his team. The order was toothless for anyone in leadership (or even senior positions) and really was only meant to impact junior-to-mid level employees who didn’t have the clout or status to push back. I think it had also been walked back internally at least 2 times before he quit, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Riot needs to ask Daddy Tencent for money to make the mmo.