Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Fungah!)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it turns out Day of the Dead was not on the list but i only learned that more than halfway through watching it so i'm going to finish it.

truly enjoyable so far. going to sound sarcastic but i genuinely enjoy watching some of the actors break character and do a big loving smile at the hammier lines, lmao. there's something about it that reminds me of working in community theater, with a bunch of joyful people working out of their cars excited to show you all the clips of themselves playing extras in some new york or boston-based show. just a bunch of people hamming it up on a doctor who budget and enjoying the hell out it, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

hosed up youll watch dotd before youre allowed but wont watch bad boy bubby even though its better than every movie on the 1001 movies list

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

You can watch DotD today as it's supposed to start today. You can run the risk and watch Bubby before Fungah! updates the thread title. The return box stays unlocked until then

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

yeah i was pretty sure it started today but maybe i'm confused, lol.

in terms of the 1001 list, it's up to 1245 at this point. i'm on track to watch them all before i die, even considering how slow i approach it and my limited timeline, so I'm going to stick to it to get the platinum :D

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

yeah i was pretty sure it started today but maybe i'm confused, lol.

in terms of the 1001 list, it's up to 1245 at this point. i'm on track to watch them all before i die, even considering how slow i approach it and my limited timeline, so I'm going to stick to it to get the platinum :D

that's too many

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

time over for bad boy bubby, day of the dead starts several hours ago

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

this movie owns. it honestly makes me feel more generous to all the zombie movies that follow. really good choice IMO.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Just a great flick. Love the levels of stress and desperation every character has (except for Dr. Frankenstein who's clearly lost it but seems right at home). Savini's effects work is world class here, possibly the best work of his career. Rhodes is a fantastic villain.

There's also tons of great little details with the zombies that add to the whole thing. The doc mentions them running on instinct and besides bub you see this in little glimpses, like a zombie ballerina walking with one foot on its toes. Then there's just some fun stuff like a clown zombie lol.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Riki-Oh: Big fan of martial arts movies so I'm grading this one on a curve. I thought the beginning was great, with Ricky stopping the police batons, the x-ray, the fat guy fight in the shower etc. Kind of slowed down in the middle but they got me back with the prison riot and final fight. I love cheesy gore effects and there was a lot of it. Real sicko poo poo sometimes. 4 stars

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

on airplanes, i'll roll tomorrow or today or somethin

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
just pick airplane then

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Con air

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Soul Plane

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

one of the rare movies that's two hours but feels like a well paced one-and-a-half. true movie magic

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

one of the rare movies that's two hours but feels like a well paced one-and-a-half. true movie magic

its basically that, die hard, and face/off

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Fungah! posted:

its basically that, die hard, and face/off

perfect films

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Riki-Oh: The Story of Ricky — 4/5

An incredibly silly, gratuitously violent, cheesy fx action movie that’s a blast. Full of little stupid over the top things that aren’t jokes but still crack me up even now 2 decades later after first viewing. This was my first time with subtitles and it’s a pretty different feel, while good it wasn’t as fun (probably a matter of nostalgia). Not at all subtle or complicated but with this movie I don’t care.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
I LOVE BUB AND DAY OF THE DEAD
10/10

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Day of the Dead

i love this movie. its cliche atp but "men are the real monsters" is a way cooler part of zombie media than "look at how sick it is to see people being gored to death" is, and this movie delivers insanely epicly on the former... and the latter as well, more than any other zombie movie that comes to mind
honestly, the acting never really struck as cheesy 2 me. the way the movie shows how apocalyptic and hopeless the situation is, all the screaming and anger seems genuine and believable enough 4 me. and bub is believably dumb in a kinda cool way. the only character id consider cheesy in how over the top they are is dr frankenstein. very "im in a movie" character. but hes cool too
writing is awesome, tension is great, the movie does a great job at being exciting w/ very little action in the first half then delivering on the gore at the climax
some things i hate ab this movie:
1) its just not very scarey tbh
2) the cheap nightmare scenes arent scarey and are cheap and annoying. the first one w/ the hands in the walls is fine but get rid of the others and show how the escape at the end actually went
3) the mcs boyfriend is so fkn annoying. he ends up being so much less likeable than any1 else in the movie including all the military fuckers. all he does in the movie is be a bitch, a pussy and a hindrance and then he tries getting every1 killed. i get that its ab showing how ppl react to the stress, hardship and cabin fever of the apocalypse, but its like they made him the guy where they dump all bad stress related poo poo they dont want to give to the other chars and theres nothing else to him. the military villains actions make a lot of sense even if they make him an evil piece of poo poo. the boyfriend is just a plot device
idk if i like this more or less than night, but i def like both more than dawn. all good movies tho
4/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

list of everyone remaining:

Nostradingus
Herculon
Arrhythmia
Bicyclops
Pragmatica
taste
Fucker
Plutonis
Plebian Parasite
Gone Fashing
MacheteZombie
super sweet best pal
tmfc
trying to jack off
got the tude now
Symbolic
Fungah
Jenny Agutter
starb

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

:siren: UK MOVIE INBOUND :siren:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Hope everyone enjoys the work of Mr Bean :)

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
who doesnt

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
this mf gonna hit us with johnny english

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

btw now that we're a couple months in tomorrow i'm gonna cut anyone who hasn't watched a single movie.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Fungah! posted:

list of everyone remaining:

Nostradingus
Herculon
Arrhythmia
Bicyclops
Pragmatica
taste
Fucker
Plutonis
Plebian Parasite
Gone Fashing
MacheteZombie
super sweet best pal
tmfc
trying to jack off
got the tude now
Symbolic
Fungah
Jenny Agutter
starb

cool

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

i watched wheels on meals but didn’t want to brag about it. it was good

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Day of the Dead: 4/5

have a migraine coming on so hopefully ill edit in real thoughts later but drat this is a great movie

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Spoderman posted:

literally th whole point of the thread dogg

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh right I cn do this in here

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
i like when this thread has new posts

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

i like when this thread has new posts

same. talking about movies ftw

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I'll watch riki oh this eve

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Spoderman posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Fungah! posted:

oh right I cn do this in here

Thanks

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
pick paddington 2

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Riki-Oh: watched a low quality dub on an arabic language pirate movie site. The only way to watch movies for the connoisseur. I probably watch this once a year or so and I never grow tired of it. I love all the over the top gore and the sickly warden suddenly transforming into a monster through the power of kung fu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Fungah! posted:

btw now that we're a couple months in tomorrow i'm gonna cut anyone who hasn't watched a single movie.

im still around (i know, ive watched a couple movies...) just been busy and not really had time for movie watching! will be back soon!