Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Apricots went to a lot of trouble to avoid crossing the Alps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I love when words migrating between languages end up absorbing the definite article from one of them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also enjoy that when they did cross the alps directly they presumably did it as the word "precocious"

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Guavanaut posted:

Apricots went to a lot of trouble to avoid crossing the Alps.

I heard an unsourced description of the word for 'egg' moving from Old English to Norse to Russian to Japanese, and then to English as "ikura."

Having a hard time googling the text -- any truth to it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not as far as I know, the words "egg" and "eyren" are both in use at the same time in english and "Ei" is the german for egg.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bring back æg.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Groda posted:

I heard an unsourced description of the word for 'egg' moving from Old English to Norse to Russian to Japanese, and then to English as "ikura."

The Russian source of ikura, ikra, apparently comes from the Proto-Indo-European word for liver, which is mildly interesting

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Groda posted:

There’s a reason that’s an unsourced description you’re having a hard time finding anything about.

Also wiktionary is generally pretty good for stuff like that. Maybe not always reliable, but definitely better than "a friend of mine had a friend who told him this once."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
REO Speedwagon would never have found out about the messin' around from wiktionary though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

bring bank norange.

orange can still be the colour tho.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
dear nordic countries, please get cooler names

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Russia is also land of Swedes because Rus is Finnish for Swede and Russia was founded by Rúrik who was Swedish and the locals probably got their word for Swede from their Finnish neighbours.

. Belarus is just White Russia.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FreudianSlippers posted:

Russia is also land of Swedes because Rus is Finnish for Swede and Russia was founded by Rúrik who was Swedish and the locals probably got their word for Swede from their Finnish neighbours.

- alternate history carl gustaf explaining why he had to launch the special military action to conquer Big Eastern Sweden in 2022

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
No self-respecting Finn would call their country using a germanic title. The English need to learn to pronounce "Suomi", if anything! :colbert:

(fake edit: "Suomi" stands for "????")

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Suomi stands for Swamp/Bog (Suo)

It's Bogland.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

I will apologize on behalf of English speakers and refer to Bogland correctly in the future

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way

drk posted:

I will apologize on behalf of English speakers and refer to Bogland correctly in the future

We thank thee and accept, o painted one

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nobody ever gives Romania poo poo for not having a Rome, this is discrimination.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

drk posted:

What's with the question mark? It's a stone. Yeah?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Russia is also land of Swedes because Rus is Finnish for Swede and [Russia was founded by Rúrik who was Swedish and the locals probably got their word for Swede from their Finnish neighbours.

You're about 5 centuries off on when Russia was actually founded.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I mean sure the Mongols technically invented Russia but the basis of the name is still Rúrik.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

I mean sure the Mongols technically invented Russia but the basis of the name is still Rúrik.

That's going to far in other direction: Mongols shattered the lands of Rus, and when Moscow rose to the top of the remnants they claimed right to rule all of the successors (I think it's reasonable to associate that with Ivan III). That's what the true meaning of "Russia": it's an imperialist land grab (and one very relevant to the day).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

My favorite drink if I'm only having one drink.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

OddObserver posted:

That's going to far in other direction: Mongols shattered the lands of Rus, and when Moscow rose to the top of the remnants they claimed right to rule all of the successors (I think it's reasonable to associate that with Ivan III). That's what the true meaning of "Russia": it's an imperialist land grab (and one very relevant to the day).

Still means Swede-ia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

FreudianSlippers posted:

Still means Swede-ia.
Being an imperialist land grab just settles it.

Guavanaut posted:

Bring back æg.
Another person in favor of universal Danish.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If it's cheese Danish, I'm in favor

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Being an imperialist land grab just settles it.

Russia being Swedia predates Sweden as a state.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also Rus' doesn't descend from a term meaning Swede, at least as well as we can tell (which is poorly). More likely it comes from a term for rowers, hence the map and possibly the Finnish term as well.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

drk posted:

Algeria just straight-up lying to us.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

EasilyConfused posted:

It's actually a name of Eocene origin, a time when Algeria was largely under water.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
Just call every people not of your tribe 'barbarians', easy, efficient and egalitarian.

Naturally the heterogenic and diverse nature of your exceptional and unique tribe doesn't eliminate the problem completely when you still have to do subdivisions to differentiate the friendly brewer family next door, annoying cheese makers by nearby forest and those shady hill people with their stupid goats but it helps in international relations when dealing with outsider peoples.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

EasilyConfused posted:

Algeria is named after the city of Algiers, which used to have a bunch of just-barely offshore islands, which got connected to the mainland by… the Ottomans? The French?

Anyway people have been connecting little offshore islands to the mainland for thousands of years. See: Tyre, Tabarka, Algiers. Not see: all those little Spanish islands just off the coast of Morocco.

Algiers is a little bit weird because you can’t look at it and obviously tell where the islands used to be, unlike Tyre and Tabarka.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Hey now, Finno-Ugric speakers were local too and according to Primary Chronicle, the reason Rurik came to power in the first place was because infighting Slavic and Finnic tribes invited him and his brothers to be neutral arbiters and rulers who could unite the lands and bring peace.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saladman posted:

Algeria is named after the city of Algiers, which used to have a bunch of just-barely offshore islands, which got connected to the mainland by… the Ottomans? The French?

Anyway people have been connecting little offshore islands to the mainland for thousands of years. See: Tyre, Tabarka, Algiers. Not see: all those little Spanish islands just off the coast of Morocco.

Oh, I see the world’s shortest land border at Peñón de Vélez de la Gomera, formed by a storm in 1930.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SlothfulCobra posted:

What's with the question mark? It's a stone. Yeah?

Question mark = "We are too scared of getting stabbed by Yugoslav nationalists to put forward our theory"

Also I looked up the source for "Czech = Army" because it's obviously wrong, and apparently it comes from "četa (army unit) -> čechy", which seems... very novel and imaginative. I wonder how many of the other etymologies used on the map are wrong.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!
"Deutsch(land)" comes from diot/diutisc, which means "people/of the people".

Germany was once thought to come from the germanic "ger", for spear (as in Rutger/Roger/Rüdiger, "famous spear-fighter"), but is more likely a celtic exonym, meaning neighbour or screamer.

Alemannia means something like "all kinds of people", probably because it was conglomerate of several tribes uniting for war.

France goes back to the germanic Franks, whose name meant something between avaricious, ambitious and brave.

goethe42 fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 31, 2024

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

I’m also not sure where the burn thing for Switzerland should come from (and if it should be related to Swiss or helvetic)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Mano posted:

I’m also not sure where the burn thing for Switzerland should come from (and if it should be related to Swiss or helvetic)
It seems like a deliberate stretch to ensure that they didn't claim schwitzen as the origin of the name, thus making Switzerland the Land of Sweat(ing). Though given that Danish uses svitse to mean frying at high heat for a short while, I suppose it's possible that the original word had a broader meaning that aligns with burn.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Oh, I see the world’s shortest land border at Peñón de Vélez de la Gomera, formed by a storm in 1930.

The worlds shortest single segment of land border. The total length of land border between Morroco and spain is 18.5km :goonsay:

That's over 10 times longer than Canada's land border with Denmark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Okay, I'm bad at knowing weird borders, where does Canada have a border with Denmark, and is Spanish Morocco still a thing, they didn't give it back?