Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/DanHayesMLB/status/1774118010485117161?s=20

https://twitter.com/AaronGleeman/status/1774120275111473473?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Incidentally, this was the Pirates team that bought Deacon White (and Jack Rowe) who refused to report until they finally paid them a sufficient sum of money, leading to White's legendary comment to the press when he reported to Pittsburgh: "We are satisfied with the money, but we ain't worth it. Rowe's arm is gone. I'm over 40 and my fielding ain't so good, though I can still hit some. But I will say this: no man is going to sell my carcass without I get half."

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 30, 2024

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Carlosologist posted:

Is Royce Lewis simply too powerful for his own body?

They warned him kaio-ken x3 is the max but he refuses to listen

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
lol Mets fans gave a standing ovation to the guy throwing at Hoskins. Baseball is back baby!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bravesword posted:

It's a hard thing to fight -- there's always going to be some way to game it

The best solution I saw was that if a player spent so much as one day on a major league roster, they get the full year, but I assume that would be a no-go for the owners -- and even then you'd probably get some egregious situations where a team that wasn't going anywhere left an obviously-ready prospect down all year
There are multiple way to combat it. The threshold doesn't have to be 1 day, it could be more like 2-3 months. Teams hold guys down for a few weeks now to gain a whole year of service time. But if you had to hold a guy down for half a season, it would be a tougher tradeoff.

Another method is to add an age-based free agency qualification in addition to service time years. Particularly for players the come out of college with a fair amount of polish, the system could be structured so that teams don't gain additional service time at all for holding these players down since they're already like 22 years old.

But these are significant labor power changes that the owners would fight tooth and nail. There is no "easy" solution because the straightforward solutions will require a major labor fight to implement.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Paul Skenes in his AAA debut: 3 perfect innings, 5 Ks, 100 mph avg fastball velocity

https://twitter.com/Jared_Carrabis/status/1774149451478638993

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Given the general track record of pitchers' health, the Pirates would be best served just bringing Skenes straight to the majors. He's probably already the best pitcher in their employ. Every minor league inning he throws increases the risk his arm implodes before they can trade him to a team that actually cares about winning baseball games. It's not like he'll still be with the Pirates in 6 years anyway.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Welp

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1774182807109075386?s=20

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Doc Brown, IMO
https://x.com/M_Montemurro/status/1774165721485807874?s=20

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wow this is great news, i hope i step in a bear trap and then get punched in the face
https://x.com/sahadevsharma/status/1774185113150005288?s=20

the cubs should throw at leodys taveras to avenge his Bunting

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 30, 2024

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
This is horribly unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but for whatever reason Google/IP Checker or whatever places my location about 25 miles East of where I actually live. Somewhere over by Hudson, WI instead of in Saint Paul.

I wanted to watch the Hoskins slide yesterday and MLB said nope. Blacked out. I've noticed the wrong location plenty of times before but never really thought about any ramifications. As it turns out MLB.tv thinks I'm across the river in a location blacked out from the Twins and Brewers.

Anyone know of a way to fix it? Again - inconsequential as Hell as apparently I've never tried watching the Brewers during the years this has been happening. But I know I'll get annoyed the next time the M's are playing the Brewers.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

This is horribly unimportant in the grand scheme of things, but for whatever reason Google/IP Checker or whatever places my location about 25 miles East of where I actually live. Somewhere over by Hudson, WI instead of in Saint Paul.

I wanted to watch the Hoskins slide yesterday and MLB said nope. Blacked out. I've noticed the wrong location plenty of times before but never really thought about any ramifications. As it turns out MLB.tv thinks I'm across the river in a location blacked out from the Twins and Brewers.

Anyone know of a way to fix it? Again - inconsequential as Hell as apparently I've never tried watching the Brewers during the years this has been happening. But I know I'll get annoyed the next time the M's are playing the Brewers.

you should go to the mlb.tv offices and Beekeep them jason statham-style

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Doc Brown, IMO

New nickname CONFIRMED

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The lying about injuries is a meme at this point. Impossible to count on him but the good thing is that he isn't good anymore so I doubt this matters that much.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

wow this is great news, i hope i step in a bear trap and then get punched in the face
https://x.com/sahadevsharma/status/1774185113150005288?s=20
Ouch. He miiiiight make it back before the ASB

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 30, 2024

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

you should go to the mlb.tv offices and Beekeep them jason statham-style

On my way!

Holy Hell I just remembered how bad Iowa has it. If it managed to do this and place me in Iowa I'd consider it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ouch. He miiiiight make it back before the ASB

Hamstring injuries linger forever :smith:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mcmagic posted:

The lying about injuries is a meme at this point. Impossible to count on him but the good thing is that he isn't good anymore so I doubt this matters that much.

At least Cabrera suddenly learned how to hit.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I remember when Charlie Morten pulled his hammy in April and was somehow out the rest of year

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I remember when Charlie Morten pulled his hammy in April and was somehow out the rest of year

I refuse to remember this. It did not happen. How dare you

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Captain Log posted:

well he's been facing astros pitching, let's not crown him yet

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Captain Log posted:

I guess I would be a terrible GM because I had zero faith in Cabrera ever hitting. (and still really don't lol)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

I guess I would be a terrible GM because I had zero faith in Cabrera ever hitting. (and still really don't lol)

It's been two games, lets pump the brakes on the he's figured it out stuff

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The Toronto Blue Jays are dogshit garbage.

Not even fun garbage like the Flyers.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Tony Phillips posted:

Mobile apps use your actual GPS so you can always see if you're blacked out on mobile and if not you'd probably be able to cast it to a Chromecast capable device? Otherwise, sounds like VPN/high seas time.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Given the general track record of pitchers' health, the Pirates would be best served just bringing Skenes straight to the majors. He's probably already the best pitcher in their employ. Every minor league inning he throws increases the risk his arm implodes before they can trade him to a team that actually cares about winning baseball games. It's not like he'll still be with the Pirates in 6 years anyway.
Ah but if they manipulate his service time to gain an extra year of control, that makes him a more attractive trade chip in the future

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

N: The Guardians currently have a +19 Run Differential after 3 games.

V: Some of this is getting to beat on Oakland to start the season but I feel like the team might actually be for real back.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Squall posted:

Mobile apps use your actual GPS so you can always see if you're blacked out on mobile and if not you'd probably be able to cast it to a Chromecast capable device? Otherwise, sounds like VPN/high seas time.

Ah yes. That would probably work. Thanks!

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

N: The Atlanta Braves
V: theyre very good and I love them

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Tatsuta Age posted:

N: The Atlanta Braves
V: theyre very good and I love them

many are saying this!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

My Marlins look like poo poo so far

also please DFA Avisail Garcia already, he's toast

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1774181085028507827

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao at umpires

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Atlanta won 12-4, so w/e

but "human element" etc etc

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Ah but if they manipulate his service time to gain an extra year of control, that makes him a more attractive trade chip in the future

Paul Skenes has pitched 9 innings of pro ball, including today's start. If Pittsburgh calls him up this summer, which sounds like the plan, they're still promoting him insanely fast.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Paul Skenes has pitched 9 innings of pro ball, including today's start. If Pittsburgh calls him up this summer, which sounds like the plan, they're still promoting him insanely fast.
I'm aware, just responding to Eric the Mauve's contention that the Pirates don't have incentive to manipulate service time because they trade everyone away anyway.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Furnaceface posted:

The Toronto Blue Jays are dogshit garbage.

Not even fun garbage like the Flyers.

The Angels are even worse. They aren't even loveable losers. Miserable to watch in all aspects.

Theyve already had a team meeting, 2 games in.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Shut it down.

Cancel the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The city of Chicago will lose 324 games this year