Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

Have you considered watching more?

nah I’m good. Glad he makes Jay so happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Watched a few Burt Reynolds, enjoyed the old school analog cinematography but couldn't say the "Burt Reynolds genre" is my cup of tea.

The one I really enjoy is White Lightning, Burt Reynolds doesn't have the mustache and feels like he is putting in extra effort. Another thing I really like is the movie absolutely doesn't doesn't try to make the women look more glamorous on camera, the woman Burt Reynolds is cheating with looks like she is 28 in one shot and near 40 in another shot. Just none of the "movie magic" to make the actress look bigger than life. The scene where Burt Reynolds try to shag up with Sheriff's spinster secretary is also very funny.

Plus tons of smuggling, bar fights, car chases, small crimes, as usually. Good ending too.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
My wife and I sometimes do themed groups of movies. Right now the theme is "Oldman and the Sea" so alternating movies that had Gary Oldman in them with movies featuring the sea. We started with Leon: The Professional and Master and Commander. Next is Air Force One then probably the Life Aquatic. I'm looking forward to the 5th Element and Mutiny on the Bounty

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Rageaholic posted:

Godzilla X Kong was like an hour & a half of painfully dull bullshit & then a somewhat cool Godzilla/Kong tag team fight. Not worth watching just for that. Watch Godzilla: Minus One instead.

They should really just not bother with all the “story” poo poo in those kinds of movies. It’s sold on “King Kong and Godzilla fight” and everyone goes to it for the promise of “King Kong and Godzilla fighting” just make it 20 minutes long and just the fighting. Loop it 6 times if you have to pad the run time, who cares?

Edit: a movie with a “they just fight” premise but awesome pacing is Girls Und Panzer Der Film. The first half hour is a tank battle, which serves to also re-establish characters and introduce a few new ones that will matter for the movie. The battle itself was also exciting and featured a wide variety of locations for fun set pieces.

The second half hour is the story parts. They introduce the stakes, the introduce new characters, and comedy bits.

The next full hour is another tank battle. It has a ton of clever set pieces, calm moments so you aren’t totally overloaded, and very clever use of the wide variety of locations they visit.

Anyone buying a ticket wanted to see two things: cute girls and tank fights. The movie was 3/4 exactly that. That’s the correct ratio.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 31, 2024

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
What was the video where they mocked the Andor announcement? They speculated that they probably approached the Rogue One cast in order of importance about a spinoff show and he was the first to say yes, then they waved his action figure around wondering if anyone could name who it was meant to be.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Gutcruncher posted:

They should really just not bother with all the “story” poo poo in those kinds of movies. It’s sold on “King Kong and Godzilla fight” and everyone goes to it for the promise of “King Kong and Godzilla fighting” just make it 20 minutes long and just the fighting. Loop it 6 times if you have to pad the run time, who cares?

They still putting eleven from stranger things in those or did she age out?

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I know older women are banned in Hollywood, but that's just ridiculous.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

No no just too old to fill the “annoying precocious kid” role

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
You don't even have to step out of the Godzilla series for a "They just fight" plot. Tokyo SOS has some setup at the beginning, then it's just one big kaiju battle.

I'm also reminded of when the first Pokemon movie came out, and my brother-in-law took my nephew to see it. IIRC, BIL couldn't stand the actual movie, but he actually kind of liked the opening short that was just a bunch of Pokemon with no human characters.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Some guy from Gen V died in a motorcycle accident, can't remember his name

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
I saw his notification this morning when checking the news;

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2024/mar/30/chance-perdomo-dead-27

quote:

Chance Perdomo, the British American actor who starred on the television shows Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and Gen V, has died in a motorcycle accident. He was 27.

Nobody else was involved in the accident, his representatives said in a statement. No details on the location or date of the accident were shared.

“His passion for the arts and insatiable appetite for life was felt by all who knew him, and his warmth will carry on in those who he loved dearest,” a statement from his reps said. “We ask to please respect the family’s wish for privacy as they mourn the loss of their beloved son and brother.”

Perdomo’s most recent role was in Gen V, a spinoff of superhero parody-drama The Boys, and played one of the leads: Andre Anderson, a student who can use magnetic forces to manipulate the world around him.The first season, which debuted during last year’s Hollywood strikes, was a hit with critics. Production on the second season, which was expected to begin principal photography in April, has been indefinitely delayed after Perdomo’s death.

Livo fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 31, 2024

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

priznat posted:

They still putting eleven from stranger things in those or did she age out?
She was in the last two but not this one. I looked her up and the first one she was in was "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" in 2019, which like...I know I've seen, I just have zero memory of it. Same with Godzilla vs Kong lol. They just aren't making these American Godzilla movies very memorable.

At least I kind of remember Kong: Skull Island because it had John C. Reilly in it. Put a fun actor in your movie and actually have fun with it and maybe I'll remember it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

She was in the last two but not this one. I looked her up and the first one she was in was "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" in 2019, which like...I know I've seen, I just have zero memory of it. Same with Godzilla vs Kong lol. They just aren't making these American Godzilla movies very memorable.

At least I kind of remember Kong: Skull Island because it had John C. Reilly in it. Put a fun actor in your movie and actually have fun with it and maybe I'll remember it.

King of the Monsters had Charles Dance in it chewing the scenery more than any Kaiju and that owned at least :haw:

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gutcruncher posted:

Edit: a movie with a “they just fight” premise but awesome pacing is Girls Und Panzer Der Film. The first half hour is a tank battle, which serves to also re-establish characters and introduce a few new ones that will matter for the movie. The battle itself was also exciting and featured a wide variety of locations for fun set pieces.

The second half hour is the story parts. They introduce the stakes, the introduce new characters, and comedy bits.

The next full hour is another tank battle. It has a ton of clever set pieces, calm moments so you aren’t totally overloaded, and very clever use of the wide variety of locations they visit.

Anyone buying a ticket wanted to see two things: cute girls and tank fights. The movie was 3/4 exactly that. That’s the correct ratio.
well that sounds like a fun little andy sedaris-style romp. now to take a nice long sip of coffee and google it

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

This discussion about word processors by old people is making me feel so comfortable

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
"WhY Do peOPlE gEt sO wouNd uP aBouT aNimE poaSTiNg"

Yes I foolishly googled the movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Cubone posted:

well that sounds like a fun little andy sedaris-style romp. now to take a nice long sip of coffee and google it

Girls und Panzer is a very fun franchise. There's a scene in the show where they sing a couple lines of Katyusha and it was so popular they included a bluray extra that's just them singing Katyusha in full.

Kingo Ligma posted:

"WhY Do peOPlE gEt sO wouNd uP aBouT aNimE poaSTiNg"

Yes I foolishly googled the movie.

it's good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53UXAffRPkg

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 31, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
qine

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Speaking of anime, anyone else watching the new Shogun mini-series on FX? It's a pretty good adaptation of the book and all the differences from the book so far make sense. I think the cast is pretty good, although I was iffy on the Anjin's actor at first.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

there's a really strange fascination with Germany and specifically Nazi Germany throughout anime that's a little off-putting

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think its just Germany in general. See LotGH

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think its just Germany in general. See LotGH

there are like 230 other countries. It becomes weird when the Axis countries are sucking each others dicks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

kalel posted:

there's a really strange fascination with Germany and specifically Nazi Germany throughout anime that's a little off-putting

the German school is the bad guys in Girls und Panzer

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
german stuff in japanese pop culture kinda occupies the same space that japan did in our pop culture before anime and videogames, it's exotic and cool in a way that english can't be since they all take it in school.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

kalel posted:

japans really weird about ww2 stuff in general which makes the oppenheimer hand wringing news rotation thing pretty funny

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Stink Billyums posted:

german stuff in japanese pop culture kinda occupies the same space that japan did in our pop culture before anime and videogames, it's exotic and cool in a way that english can't be since they all take it in school.

yeah, except for the Holocaust poo poo

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
it's kinda loving weird that Japan likes Nazi poo poo

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Gripweed posted:

Girls und Panzer is a very fun franchise. There's a scene in the show where they sing a couple lines of Katyusha and it was so popular they included a bluray extra that's just them singing Katyusha in full.

Not in America cuz gently caress music licensing!

The scene has a whole other song without even having singing!

Cubone posted:

Hope you like it goon sir!

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
new smiling friends in 24 hours or so, maybe

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Gripweed posted:

the German school is the bad guys in Girls und Panzer

sure that clears it up thanks :cheers:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gripweed posted:

it's loving embarrassing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Why the gently caress do so many people seem to think "cute girls" is a selling point for an anime, when in reality it makes the series sound 5000% creepier even if it is actually fine

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Bring back hyper violent 90’s anime imho

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i need hyper detailed scenes of switches being flipped and things locking together

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why the gently caress do so many people seem to think "cute girls" is a selling point for an anime, when in reality it makes the series sound 5000% creepier even if it is actually fine

You know exactly why

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
if hearing "cute girl" makes you uncomfortable, you may be a baka hentai

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Stink Billyums posted:

if hearing "cute girl" makes you uncomfortable, you may be a baka hentai

It's stuff like this specifically

Gutcruncher posted:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

a real rude dude posted:

Bring back hyper violent 90’s anime imho

Watched Mad Bull 34 last week with some friends, it was a goddamn blast.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

The "whales" of the anime world that buy all the dvds, all the cds, all the figurines, etc. are creeps, plain and simple. Luckily there is enough to be made making non-creep anime what we still get plenty of that stuff, but the creep stuff is always going to be around unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

kdrudy posted:

The "whales" of the anime world that buy all the dvds, all the cds, all the figurines, etc. are creeps, plain and simple. Luckily there is enough to be made making non-creep anime what we still get plenty of that stuff, but the creep stuff is always going to be around unfortunately.

Not that I disagree but every principal concept artist or art director making 200+k ive ever worked with has had their own standing case full of anime figurines next to their desk