Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Dexo posted:

Yeah, I don't disagree with this, although in college I really don't mind a QB who tries to push deep, It's easier to reign a guy in than teach a guy to be more aggressive.

He's got some mechanical issues and bad habits, but they are all things that I've seen fixed before in the NFL. Which is why I love him so much as a prospect

I just thought the Daniel Jones comp or Mitch comp I've seen floating around completely ridiculous.

This same thing is something the Bears and mostly Keenan Allen I think are going to have to drill into Caleb, that this isn't 2023 USC, he doesn't have to be super man.

Yea comparing Mitch to him is silly, they are nothing alike. But they are both white QBs from NC so it's an easy lazy comp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dexo posted:

What. how the gently caress is Drake Maye Daniel Jones.

Hold the gently caress on.

I need someone to actually explain the similarities in their profile as prospects, other than being doofy white dudes?

That is an insane comp.

They are both somewhat erratic passers with changeable mechanics, both pretty athletic though and I think Maye will bring similar scrambling skills as what we've seen from Daniel Jones, or maybe a bit more. Which isn't terrible, Jones has added a decent amount of value on the ground assuming he isn't tripping over his own feet They are almost exactly equivalent in height and weight (actually Jones is supposedly an inch taller which kind of shocked me since Maye looks like a baby giraffe out there, maybe he has longer arms). They both played at ACC schools (I think, I'm not fully aware of that kind of stuff) and on similar skill level teams. They both got a good amount of play in the draft process for QBs who didn't exactly light up the stat sheets or their opponents. They both have extremely dumb faces.

I'd say that's enough similarities for a comp. There are certainly some differences (bigger arm for Maye, shorter release for Jones, more downfield aggression for Maye, etc.), every player is different from every other but I think there's plenty to remind me of each other. When I'm making a comp I'm not saying the careers will be similar in the least either. I'm not a huge Maye fan but I can certainly see the potential, as I think everyone can. Could he be a more athletic Justin Herbert (who I was completely wrong about, fair play) or will he be Zach Wilson 2.0? For me it all depends on how he's able to address his feet, his mechanics, and his processing. Sometimes you can teach those things, sometimes you can't.

Dexo posted:

Penix is like an athlete, but he cannot(or has never shown much of an ability) to use his athleticism functionally while doing the act of quarterbacking lol.

Like yeah man, you can run a 4.5 or whatever or train to do other combine/pro day athleticism tests.

That man if he is moved off his spot loving craters hard accuracy wise, and in his success rate.

straight line speed doesn't matter when it comes to dealing with pressure.

Absolutely, I've seen this narrative go around a bit and it's pretty wild. Like do people think that if you can't really scramble for good yards or add value on designed runs in college you'll be able to do it in the NFL? That's pretty ludicrous when you think about it, it only gets more difficult at the next level. Maybe at one point he could do that, like high school or something, but he's gonna be a straight up pocket passer. Although any QB can take a scramble for some yards if the whole thing opens up and at least he can do that. Perhaps like a Ryan Tannehill type in terms of adding some very small value in occasional scrambles up the middle or on bootlegs.

There's also the issue of him really not throwing well on the run, which should keep him in the pocket even more.

Play fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 30, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like Maye when he does miss has some comically bad embarrasing misses, but generally was accurate as hell in college.

I'd have to go look at the numbers but pretty sure he was more accurate than any other QB in this class to the intermediate and deep parts of the field.

Iirc his statistical anomaly was that he was oddly low percentage throwing deep and intermediate right. This is where I do need to learn more to try and explain why

But other than that he was accurate as poo poo at all levels but especially over the middle. Where once again he had minimal help and was in a lovely offensive system.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

a neat cape posted:

The media smear campaign didn't work on Caleb so it's moved to Drake

It’s this. The same thing is happening to olu fashanu right now. The people creating the hype cycle get bored of it and want somebody new to pump up (see JJ McCarthy who has enough tape of him actually throwing the ball to fit in a Gif and now people are saying he could go before Maye).

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
He does have really bad Pete Campbell bitch face though. So maybe it’s that.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dexo posted:

What?

I'm not even defending Penix, I don't like him as a prospect Maybe like 3rd or 4th round for me IMO, but if you think you can protect him late second is somewhat defensible, You likely can't get away with being a touch more mobile than Drew Bledsode, in today's NFL.

But this argument is dumb as hell. Penix is an athlete, as is pretty much any NFL player. But he isn't able to like access whatever athleticism he does have while playing QB, and less even on the running part, that was just to laugh at the person who said he was a dual threat. But even moving around in the pocket he is absolutely dire if he can't drop back cleanly and get his throws off without being forced off his spot.

It looked like Mac Jones has more creation and movement in his game, and that is not very good.

You’re arguing two different things. Nuance continues to be a lost art on some folks here OR youre arguing with someone different and quoted me by mistake because your entire point has literally nothing to do with what we’re discussing previously. So I say, ironically actually - “what?”

Dexo posted:

Like all these dudes are athletes on some level.

Even kickers and punters nowadays are absurd athletes.

When most people talk about "athletes" when speaking specifically about a sport they are generally referring to Athletes who are like the top 5% of the 1% of athletes that already are in that sport.

like this is just a wild level of pedantry lol.
Lmao yeah. Nevermind.

We’re discussing athletic versus performance. You’re confusing the two. Yet again. Imagine someone said “oh this punter is an athlete!” And you disagreed citing stats to his punting ability. It’s two different subjects.

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 30, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Amy Pole Her posted:

You’re arguing two different things. Nuance continues to be a lost art on some folks here OR youre arguing with someone different and quoted me by mistake because your entire point has literally nothing to do with what we’re discussing previously. So I say, ironically actually - “what?”

Lmao yeah. Nevermind.

We’re discussing athletic versus performance. You’re confusing the two. Yet again. Imagine someone said “oh this punter is an athlete!” And you disagreed citing stats to his punting ability. It’s two different subjects.

I'm not arguing anything, I don't actually think you and I disagree on anything, here.

This is the post I was mostly laughing at

Henchman of Santa posted:

Penix is a former dual threat guy and he just ran like a 4.45 or something, so theoretically he could be used as one in the pros while Rivers was always a pylon.

And then I explained why it doesn't particularly matter that Penix has 4.5 speed or whatever because he can't actually use it to quarterback. After being incredulous at calling the dude with with like a 2.7 YPC average a dual threat QB.

I think you are taking my posts at slights at you when they really really are not.

I was talking both performance as to my evaluation of Penix, and "athletic" traits in the same posts and trying to explain why when someone runs a 4.5 and has a good testing at a pro day actually, it doesn't actually matter unless it translates to the tape.

Edit: I guess my only thing with you was thinking the argument about "athleticism" was fairly pedantic and pointless to talking about the prospect. Because "athleticism" takes so many loving forms.

I even ignored the weird shot at my intelligence because of a loving mod star.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 30, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Penix has some scramble ability in the pocket but he rarely tucks and runs because I think he didn't have to. DeBoer always gave him a safety valve and an intermediate stick route. ACL injuries don't sap speed all the time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

He always looks so uncomfortable when pushed off his spot, and really really tanked production wise whenever he was pressured and moved off his spot

It's not that he can't move, because he can, it's that he can't be moved off his spot and still accurately throw or make plays reliably

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
I think Penix throws the prettiest ball and the easiest to catch among all the QBs. Some of those back-shoulder throws to Odunze or jump balls to Polk. Sheesh

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dexo posted:

Edit: I guess my only thing with you was thinking the argument about "athleticism" was fairly pedantic and pointless to talking about the prospect. Because "athleticism" takes so many loving forms.

Almost got it!

You misunderstood what athletic meant in a discussion and doubled down (with the other dude who ironically had a star. Bad luck with that moniker equalizing stupidty i guess) so i made a dumb comment putting 2 and 2 together.

Basically the summary of of comments (and the argument made in response to it) is you can be an athlete and not have its translate on the field.

Seems like we do agree tho so I’ll leave it be, semantics aside

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 30, 2024

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Edit: ^ whatever man god speed.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I think Penix throws the prettiest ball and the easiest to catch among all the QBs. Some of those back-shoulder throws to Odunze or jump balls to Polk. Sheesh

I don't disagree there.

That offense loving rocks and when he's protected it's art.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 30, 2024

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

A Sneaker Broker posted:

He’s incredible.

So many of those throws in the semis were him throwing into wi does which didn’t even exist and the ball perfectly lands in the receivers hands mid stride.

So spicy…

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Ornery and Hornery posted:

He’s incredible.

So many of those throws in the semis were him throwing into wi does which didn’t even exist and the ball perfectly lands in the receivers hands mid stride.

So spicy…

There is an area in this modern landscape where a true Pocket QB can thrive. Look no further than Kirk Cousins. That being said, Penix can move a little bit. He will have to if he wants a career. But, if a team can protect him and give him some clean pockets to work with, that passing attack will be scary.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
gently caress okay that was very real and accurate analysis of Penix imo

We definitely agree overall

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I guess we're all stupid then

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Dexo posted:

Let the Packer fan guide you in the art of scouting a QB

/s

I need Malik Washington on my team like I need water to live.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Anybody with Nix ranked above Penix must be sent to HQ for reeducation

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Dexo posted:

I think these players are FREAKS and MUTANTS.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Borsche69 posted:

I think these players are FREAKS and MUTANTS.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Dexo posted:

Well now you’re just spitting truth

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Surprisingly, my comp for Drake Maye is Jordan Love. LOL.

The sophomore season was excellent because he had elite talent around him and wasn't asked to carry the team on his back, but once all that talent left in Year 3, he slumped because he decided to play hero ball. Both QBs have fundamental and mechanical flaws that, if ironed out by sitting for some time, will make them very good.

My comp for JJ McCarthy is a more-mobile Kirk Cousins.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I remember when this man was espousing the talents of Jake Boller and iiirc he was a big believer in Ramsey in washington too.

Surprised he's still alive tbh

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
From what I'm understanding here, if we draft Penix at #13 and the league let's him wear a literal suit of armor then we'd solve our QB problem right?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Calidus posted:

You got your standard freaks then your PSU freaks Parsons, Saquon and Chop.

don't forget Odafe Oweh, who has absolutely insane measurements too

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Black Sunshine posted:

From what I'm understanding here, if we draft Penix at #13 and the league let's him wear a literal suit of armor then we'd solve our QB problem right?

That would just make him slower in the pocket and have an even more weird throwing motion

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

BlindSite posted:

I remember when this man was espousing the talents of Jake Boller and iiirc he was a big believer in Ramsey in washington too.

Surprised he's still alive tbh

I remember him looking old as poo poo when I was in college like a decade and a half ago

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

anyone need some Expert Opinion on Northwestern's draft-eligible players this year

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

R.D. Mangles posted:

anyone need some Expert Opinion on Northwestern's draft-eligible players this year

What website is that? And, how fast is that LB?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i have no idea, i just googled northwestern players in the draft, it's just a joke about how northwestern is not going to have anyone drafted

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

A Sneaker Broker posted:

What website is that?

Looks like https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/, a mock draft aggregator

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Finished watching my 4th Brenden Rice game, and I think the consensus has him criminally underrated. To me his two biggest negatives are ball tracking and lack of quickness for short and intermediate routes. He's got the speed, the body control, and the saviness of a vet. Great repertoire of press beaters, doesn't quite have the hard break of some of the elite guys. His lack of suddenness is largely mitigated by his superb understanding of the position.

One of my favorite things about him is how hard and well he blocks. I don't know how the son of one of the best to ever do it would ever have the audacity to have that dawg in him, and yet :woof:

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

R.D. Mangles posted:

i have no idea, i just googled northwestern players in the draft, it's just a joke about how northwestern is not going to have anyone drafted

Sorry for your loss(es)

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Are either of them Trevor Simien levels of scab or Justin Jackson levels of awesome

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Just watched a bunch of Trey Benson tape and holy poo poo. This guy is gonna be a star running back in the NFL. Haven't seen a lot of discussion about this year's crop of RBs but I'd put Benson in the top 5 of the last 3 or 4 drafts easily. The exact size you want, amazing speed including explosive short area quickness, decent moves including a great stiff arm and good jump cuts, and basically he just makes everyone trying to tackle him look like inferior athletes/football players. Breaks an insane amount of tackles. His vision may need a little work, but all the characteristics you want in an RB are there.

He should absolutely go late first round, or early second at least. This is the kind of running back who is worth drafting relatively early. You can draft him and not worry too much about the running back position for years.

I'm also a big fan of Will Shipley, although he's not in that early round conversation like Benson. Maybe I'll make a big effort post about RBs in this draft, since it's probably the most fun position to evaluate of them all.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I will always worry about Benson's health because those Oregon injuries are no joke. I loved watching him at FSU but he's not on Dalvin Cooks level as a prospect.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Play posted:

He should absolutely go late first round, or early second at least. This is the kind of running back who is worth drafting relatively early. You can draft him and not worry too much about the running back position for years.

I'm also a big fan of Will Shipley, although he's not in that early round conversation like Benson. Maybe I'll make a big effort post about RBs in this draft, since it's probably the most fun position to evaluate of them all.

I've maintained for awhile this RB class is good actually. I don't even have Benson as RB1, I have him behind Brooks, but I still like him a lot. I'm not as high on Shipley or most of the big names in this draft like Allen and Corum. I really like Wright. I like a bunch of the late round guys especially Tyrone Tracy Jr. He's barely even played Running Back and that shows up on the film, but he's also very fun . It's a good draft if you value low mileage and young RB's. I'd really enjoy a big effort post to compare notes with and talk RB.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Corum sucks and is the kind of back that steals carries from better backs because he's reliable

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Marshawn Lloyd is one of the most frustrating prospects I watched this year. 1st round talent who's butter smooth moves are matched only by his butter hands. Makes a lot of bad choices when he thinks his athleticism will let him do things it absolutely won't. Love a 5'8" 220 pounder with a 4.48 40 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Doltos posted:

Corum sucks and is the kind of back that steals carries from better backs because he's reliable

The best ability is availability!