Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Eclipse12 posted:

Just read about penitent engines and... yikes.

Arco-flagellants are also pretty neato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Waste not, want not!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I got into WH40k through the Dawn of War games so the Blood Ravens are my favorite chapter. Gabriel Angelos is such a great character, and listening to him say Ork names in a serious and proper voice is always hilarious.

Its also been hinted that they are a loyal chapter of The Thousand Sons legion because they have so many psykers and guard information zealously. Their motto is after all "Knowledge is power. Guard it well."

The Dawn of War games are great, except for Soulstorm and Dawn of War 3. Soulstorm does have the Sister of Battle as a playable race so it isn't all bad. Otherwise the writing is good, delivery is outstanding, gameplay is fun, and the graphics are not terrible in the early games.

The thing I love most about them is their other nickname, "The Bloody Thieving Magpies!!" They steal so much from other Space Marine chapters it would impress an Ork. Motherfuckers somehow stole a suit of Custodes Power Armor. Their weapon descriptions in game will mention how the weapon is from another chapter, but the chapter denies every loaning it to them and has been looking for it. These crazy assholes stole Bjorn The Fel-Handed (lovely but the only version of the story that still existed)! And I'm pretty sure if you had these guys as an actual tabletop army you were expected to use models from other armies, paint them like they should be painted or buy them already painted from someone else, then paint a lovely Blood Raven coat on top of it before fielding them.

God I love the Blood Ravens.

Edit: I want to mention that because the universe is so big and varied its easy for good fan stories to pop up. Like the Ork that won so many battles he grew to the size of a planet and floats through space looking for another fight. How can he breathe in space? Well, he's an Ork, and he believes he can breathe in space.

Or some of the Chaos marines. The 2 I'm thinking of are everyone's best friend Kharn the Betrayer, and a noise marine that spends all his time riding around on a motorcycle that's blasting music at deadly levels while doing super cocaine, emga heroin, and krokodil. Dude doesn't want to fight, just party as hard as inhumanly possible.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 30, 2024

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

https://www.deviantart.com/mr-culexus/art/Slaaneshi-Baneblade-98280986

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

limp_cheese posted:

Or some of the Chaos marines. The 2 I'm thinking of are everyone's best friend Kharn the Betrayer, and a noise marine that spends all his time riding around on a motorcycle that's blasting music at deadly levels while doing super cocaine, emga heroin, and krokodil. Dude doesn't want to fight, just party as hard as inhumanly possible.

that would be doomrider. He does is cocaine

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It's kind of absurd just how wild people can get with painting these little guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKpSJ2-n65Y

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Btw the canonical reason that orks don't get sick is because gork and mork threw nurgle into a squig pit and then took turns elbow dropping him until he agreed to leave orks alone like the little bitch he is

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

verbal enema posted:

Orkz are the coolest concept in 40k by such a huge margin it isn't even funny

I’m a Kroot fan. They’re part of the Tau empire but their whole deal is that they absorb the genetic information of what they eat. Most, if not all, of the life on their home world is just different kinds of Kroot whose ancestors ate birds or dogs or plants or whatever so much they turned into bird or dog or plant or whatever style Kroot. They achieved space travel because Orks attacked their world and the Kroot figured out that some Orks were born knowing how to build machines, so they sought out and ate those Orks until some Kroot knew how to build machines too.

They fight alongside the Tau but their main goal is to find cool aliens to eat and then go home and get eaten so the whole species becomes stronger.

naem
May 29, 2011

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Punkinhead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/@IsyanderandKoda/videos

Isyander and Koda have got me back into it. They're chill and they're not loud or obnoxious like 99% of content creators.

Much appreciated. It's either this or I get a text to speech thing to make me content.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This is what Kroot cavalry looks like. Literally riding their strong cousins into battle

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Eclipse12 posted:

Hmm. Can orks be corrupted by Chaos? I've never heard of Chaos Orks.

Just one more reason orks is best.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

so chaos corruption makes orks act more human... hmmm

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Has anyone ever kissed the Emperor

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kissed the Emperor? Is that one of the rude acts like a Blumpkin or Cleveland Steamer?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Smugworth posted:

The Big E is absolutely someone who would never allow himself the indignity of feeling affection for/from another person, lest they steal his vital essence

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Big E smooched two primarchs and now they're missing

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's also canon that they can't actually agree on what year it is

it's also canon that there's an ongoing war within the various bureaucracies in the Imperium about this subject

also now there's an enormous rift in the middle of everything and like half the galaxy is inaccessible to the other half. poo poo is hitting the fan

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Smugworth posted:

I have

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Eclipse12 posted:

Just read about penitent engines and... yikes.

Reminded how someone was playing a LANCER game in the 40k setting with its many flavours of mech, and was bummed they didn't find out about Penitent Engines until afterwards because they'd perfectly fit what someone wanted to play. Presumably fluffed for a Manticore.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

"My Favorite Ork" sounds like a parody TV show

yeah, a weird late 80, early 90s UHF channel. Got a theme song and everything

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

olylifter posted:

it's also canon that there's an ongoing war within the various bureaucracies in the Imperium about this subject

also now there's an enormous rift in the middle of everything and like half the galaxy is inaccessible to the other half. poo poo is hitting the fan

Wait did they move the 40k story forward some?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

Oh yeah! Guilliman is back and confused and angry

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hollismason posted:

Yeah. The 13th Black Crusade succeeded. Abaddon flew a Blackstone Fortress into Cadia, destroying the planet and the pylons on it that kept the Eye of Terror contained. Which caused the Eye of Terror to spill out into a massive rift that divided the galaxy in half.

Luckily, at this point a combination of blasphemous Xenos magic and the workings of the mad Magos Belisarius Cawl were able to revive Roboute Guilliman, who took his position once again as Regent of Terra and worked to keep the Imperium from falling apart. He revealed that before he was laid low by Fulgrim's poisoned blade, he had bade Cawl to improve on the creation of Space Marines in secret. With nobody to tell him to stop, Cawl had spent the past 8,000 years creating a stronger Space Marine, and just making more and more of them and keeping them hidden in stasis. These Primaris Space Marines became the tip of the spear in Guilliman's new Indomitus Crusade to beat back the forces of Chaos and make contact with the galaxy beyond the rift, the Imperium Nihilus.

Also, the Silent King returned and more and more Necrons are waking up, Ghazghull has a shiny new body, the Fourth Tyrannic War has begun, the nascent Chaos god of creativity and machines, Vasthorr, has reassembled the shattered remnants of Caliban and turned them into a mobile fortress-planet called Wyrmwood, the Lion El'Jonson has returned and is on a quest to forgive his sons, and some members of both the Dark Eldar and regular Eldar have united in the worship of Ynnead, the Eldar god of the dead they believe will come into being when all the Eldar die.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they're bigger! they get two wounds! they can sell you new models for $60 a squad (37.5£ a squad)! given, the models are pretty good

(they retconned classic marines to get two wounds too a few years ago)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 31, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Huh that's crazy. Maybe I'll read up on it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

Huh that's crazy. Maybe I'll read up on it.

you can't, for the guilliman waking up bit. not in the black library, the only telling was in the gathering storm sourcebook and it's interspersed with rules. fall of cadia is a pretty deec book by robert rath tho

black library is laid out by authorial feudalism. it's not a guarantor of quality, it's a guarantor of getting a book written reasonably on time. which is basically a miracle, anyhow

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
edit: didn't read the full post that other person did

olylifter fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 31, 2024

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

olylifter posted:

edit: didn't read the full post that other person did

Lion El'Jonson is allowed to express himself

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Guess what they call the Fallen redeemed by El'Jonson

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

the unfallen?

the standing?

the got up?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

Guess what they call the Fallen redeemed by El'Jonson

Maybe

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

the ascending?

the going up-ers?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

keep going, I'll say when you get it

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Born Again

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

"Lion El'Jonson and his Up and At 'Em Boys," a feel good revue for all ages

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Guy Haley has written some books about the Gullyman kickin' rear end and being Hella mad the imperium sucks poo poo now. There's lots of good audiobooks to be found online, many read by Tobey Longworth. I've listened to an 40k audiobook every week or two for the past 2 years. There's so much stuff! Dan Abnett has written some good 40k series'. Sandy Mitchell as well.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

The "I got too many organs and my dick don't work but at least my battle brothers won't torture me to death anymore" Krewe

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Loden Taylor posted:

The "I got too many organs and my dick don't work but at least my battle brothers won't torture me to death anymore" Krewe

that sounds nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Speaking of space marines if you like the concept and want to see how it might play out in WWII check out Uber, a comic series about Nazi Germany cracking alien tech and making giant super-soldiers to turn the tide at the last second. Thankfully Allies get their hands on the tech and have hope of mounting a counterattack.