Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

An early morning post, which shall then be followed by an evening post, seeing as I forgot to post yesterday.

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Get well soon, EasyEW!

The good Doc referencing the Wizard of Oz is a nice touch.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 28, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

riderchop posted:

we need to keep mark trail around so the thread's hater energy, a necessary and valuable force, stays focused on it instead of Heart of the City, which would kill me

More like Fart of the lovely

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Oh I'm sure Luann will absorb the slack

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Pluggers

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Young plugger is upsetting me.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Young plugger had aspirations

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(5/13/1994)

(5/14/1994)

Ziggy

(11/2/1971)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

No Fingerpori today because of Easter but here's a bonus from the past:

For non-Europeans, Dr Oetker is a popular frozen pizza manufacturer over here.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's... edible... if you're hungry enough.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/30/04

Brenda Starr 12/4-6/52

Smokey Stover 8/28/60

Everyday Movies 5/22/37

"But the Duke of Windsor don't wear it that way."

The Duke of Windsor was a title created for Edward VIII after he abdicated, and he was well known as a trendsetter in men's style.

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/3-5/43

The last-minute phone call from the governor! That's a cliche you don't see much anymore.

Closer Than We Think! 8/28/43

It's basically a giant Lego hospital!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Poil posted:

It's... edible... if you're hungry enough.

I quite like them. They're obviously not as good as proper pizza, and hell, the dough is so different that I wouldn't necessarily even call it pizza but they're not bad for "tomato sauce, cheese and toppings on a weird dough".

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Lookin' pretty smug for someone who just drew saguaro cactus in Judea.

Slylock Fox

:psyduck: That is such an oddly contrived riddle and I'm left with more questions.

Flash Gordon

FoxTrot

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Flash Gordon has the distinct air of "best GM you'll have in your life" for the setting tone. :allears:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons
Why would you lose them? What's going to happen?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Of Titties And Vulvas

"First you have to put your faith in a higher power." "Like the Devil?" "Why the Devil." "Well I'm a snake."

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EBB posted:

Young plugger had aspirations

Based on necktie + short sleeves he wanted to be an assistant manager at Wendy’s #131

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ROYAL POLYCULE!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

gently caress off

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

MSG isn't a real thing in that way, you're just two white racists.

Bruceski posted:

ROYAL POLYCULE!
honestly I can see why the gently caress Dale doesn't want to go back to Earth if she's gonna get hit on by every Tom, Dick and Witch Queen. Good for you, girl. Royal Polycule.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, May 15-20, 1985

At least he's nice enough to give them a beer when he fires them.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hostile V posted:

MSG isn't a real thing in that way, you're just two white racists.

honestly I can see why the gently caress Dale doesn't want to go back to Earth if she's gonna get hit on by every Tom, Dick and Witch Queen. Good for you, girl. Royal Polycule.

I thought it was a headache trigger for people prone to migraines?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts
'

Your choice of Sally Forth, either the weirdly bright color palate of the "proper" version...

...or the oddly fitting black-and-white variation that keeps showing up in the USA Today collection.

Peanuts (April 10, 1977)

Crankshaft

Thimble Theater (November 3, 1940)

Popeye

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
My takeaway here is that Nancy is responsible for global warming, and must be punished for her crimes against the planet.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Crab Dad posted:

I thought it was a headache trigger for people prone to migraines?
hi you've activated my Trap Card.

MSG, monsodium glutamate, is found in a shitload of things. It's found in tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, cheddar, walnuts, just a whole lot of stuff. It's a naturally occurring substance formed by being a part of glutamic acid. We naturally synthesize it in our own bodies and MSG as we know it is made through bacterial fermentation.

There is no medical or scientific basis that it triggers migraines and you actually need five times as much MSG as regular-rear end salt to start triggering adverse physiological reactions (and those aren't just migraines but Bad Things); mostly MSG is just a vehicle to deliver some salt but the majority of it is just pleasant savoriness. The USDA and multiple other groups have classified MSG as safe to ingest after running trials and there's just natural diminishing flavor returns to using too much in the same way as you can make something too salty.

Predominantly the reason why people are afraid of it is because it's a staple additive in Chinese and Japanese cooking and America has had a historically antagonistic view of people from those heritages and countries and were more willing to blame over-salted "foreign foods" because they used a "scary ingredient" but also those tend to be people of an older (white) generation whereas now it's a commonly accepted additive and also a ton of nascent cooks and foodies learn how versatile and helpful it is.

also apologies if this sounds critical of your question. It isn't. I just love talking about this poo poo and took it as an excuse to inform other people that MSG is safe and, perhaps surprising nobody else in this thread, Ed and Helen Kudlick are racist.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Also, I get frequent and bad migraines, and MSG has never done anything to me (I know anecdotes aren't data). After I stopped listening to rumours and read some of the research on the topic, I went out and bought a bag of MSG from the local asian market to use in stews and sauces. It's great.

E: As part of that discovery I also discovered that I had been eating MSG pretty much all my life, as it's the second component after salt in "aroma salt", which is a hugely popular salt replacement in Finland, Germany, Switzerland etc. For an example look up the Aromat brand.

Bizarrely that also has had similar rumours surrounding it over here, with people claiming it's actually much worse for you than salt, which doesn't pass even the smallest smell tests. We know chugging pure salt is not good for you, so how can a substance that is "considerably less salt + some MSG and then herbs" be much worse for you? (this of course with the assumption that all the component parts are safe for consumption. Obviously for instance "less water + some Draino and herbs" is worse for you than pure water, even though chugging too much water is not good for you)

I think the only case people have here is that while table salt has contained iodine for ages over here, it's not listed as a component for Aromat and it's unclear if the salt they use in it is iodized or not.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 31, 2024

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hostile V posted:

hi you've activated my Trap Card.

MSG, monsodium glutamate, is found in a shitload of things. It's found in tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, cheddar, walnuts, just a whole lot of stuff. It's a naturally occurring substance formed by being a part of glutamic acid. We naturally synthesize it in our own bodies and MSG as we know it is made through bacterial fermentation.

There is no medical or scientific basis that it triggers migraines and you actually need five times as much MSG as regular-rear end salt to start triggering adverse physiological reactions (and those aren't just migraines but Bad Things); mostly MSG is just a vehicle to deliver some salt but the majority of it is just pleasant savoriness. The USDA and multiple other groups have classified MSG as safe to ingest after running trials and there's just natural diminishing flavor returns to using too much in the same way as you can make something too salty.

Predominantly the reason why people are afraid of it is because it's a staple additive in Chinese and Japanese cooking and America has had a historically antagonistic view of people from those heritages and countries and were more willing to blame over-salted "foreign foods" because they used a "scary ingredient" but also those tend to be people of an older (white) generation whereas now it's a commonly accepted additive and also a ton of nascent cooks and foodies learn how versatile and helpful it is.

also apologies if this sounds critical of your question. It isn't. I just love talking about this poo poo and took it as an excuse to inform other people that MSG is safe and, perhaps surprising nobody else in this thread, Ed and Helen Kudlick are racist.

Ok none of that racist poo poo applies to my friends he’s a certified weeb. Could just be bad info we picked up growing up and avoided it because migraine sucks and he will do anything to avoid them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Crab Dad posted:

Ok none of that racist poo poo applies to my friends he’s a certified weeb. Could just be bad info we picked up growing up and avoided it because migraine sucks and he will do anything to avoid them.

The key thing is that MSG is in all sorts of stuff. Do they target MSG and avoid it, or will they shun Chinese food while eating a bag of Doritos (full of MSG)?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I get migraine every time I watch Rangers play at MSG.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
(the joke would work better if they weren't doing so well this year)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This reminds me that a brand of peperoni was spreading Hepatitis E recently in Finland

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Bruceski posted:

The key thing is that MSG is in all sorts of stuff. Do they target MSG and avoid it, or will they shun Chinese food while eating a bag of Doritos (full of MSG)?

I just recall him eating basically nothing but vegetables and dairy. I dont recall his trash food intake besides "snapples".

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Bright or flashing lights will give me a migraine. Never from a bowl of chow mein, though.

Crab Dad posted:

The people who came up with the MSG myth and spread it around were racist as hell. The people generations later who have been told constantly that MSG is toxic and never really thought to question it because it's just something that "everybody knows" are not necessarily racist. It comes down to what their reaction is once they find out the truth.

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/3-5/43

The last-minute phone call from the governor! That's a cliche you don't see much anymore.

So Scarlet did gently caress-all to save her friend, then. Thanks, Scarlet!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

As promised, the second update:

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Samovar fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The MSG story is wild. The original "study" was a blatant fraud, submitted by someone that doesn't even exist. Then someone admitted to being behind the fraud, but a few years later it was proven that they were lying about having been the liar.