Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

They werent perverted ones either just gundams and poo poo but it was wild walking past thousands of dollars of anime every day. They were good, lit cases too. The office cleaning crew mustve had to keep them dusted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

sure okay posted:

They werent perverted ones either just gundams and poo poo but it was wild walking past thousands of dollars of anime every day. They were good, lit cases too. The office cleaning crew mustve had to keep them dusted

pretty sure they were perverts

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i actually collect gundam dust and press it into reclaimed artisinal gundam parts

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pac and Cheese posted:

i actually collect gundam dust and press it into reclaimed artisinal gundam parts

Pretty sure that's what Bandai makes their plastic out of as well.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

sharknado slashfic posted:

This discussion about word processors by old people is making me feel so comfortable

I tried to explain word processors to my 20-something coworkers the other day. "So, try to imagine a computer that can only do one thing..."

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

it's kinda loving weird that Japan likes Nazi poo poo

To be fear it's also loving weird that America does (pledge of allegiance, rocket science, white supremacy, anti semitism, etc etc).

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Kingo Ligma posted:

To be fear it's also loving weird that America does (pledge of allegiance, rocket science, white supremacy, anti semitism, etc etc).

Kinda think we should have nuked the Germans instead

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

pretty sure they were perverts

artists are perverts but sometimes it's coincidental

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Presto posted:

I tried to explain word processors to my 20-something coworkers the other day. "So, try to imagine a computer that can only do one thing..."

You can buy a new word processor right now if you want, much like how you can still buy a new typewriter or vcr

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Would a secretary taking dictation be considered a kind of word processor?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

sure okay posted:

Would a secretary taking dictation be considered a kind of word processor?

Settle down Dick Whitman

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Japan for some reason has to understand the world through anime school girls and boys. Talk about international politics? Put it in an anime show with 80% school kids; stories of wars and assassins? Make middle school kids act them out. Giant robot fighting? You guess it, piloted by middle schoolers in uniforms, mandatory.

It wasn't like that in the 80s when Japan had normal grown up animation like Space Cobra with normal grown up romance subplots and sex scenes.

I am not going to spend more energy to explore why the Japanese suddenly became weird. I blame Gorbachev.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Internet

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It was like that in the 80s that is like the prime gundam era where you learned war is bad through the brutal actions of a 12 year old

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
The internet is a place of wonder.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

stephenthinkpad posted:

I am not going to spend more energy to explore why the Japanese suddenly became weird. I blame Gorbachev.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i dont like anime because they draw the eyes and faces in that way that makes it look like anime

also everything else

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I can vide on some 90’s violent poo poo like once in a while, but yeah the current crop of “pubescent schoolgirls do nonsense plot” is just not my thing for reasons. Idk maybe I just can’t appreciate true art or something.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 31, 2024

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

it's less of a genre and more of a legal loophole

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

colonelwest posted:

I can vide on some 90’s violent poo poo like once in a while, but yeah the current crop of “pubescent schoolgirls do nonsense plot” is just not my thing for reasons. Idk maybe I just can’t appreciate true art or something.

this mf said "vide"

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Meticulously animated machinery moving and switches being flipped. A highly detailed VCR or HiFi. CDs and Floppies being inserted into a equally highly detailed PC. This is what I love.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

this mf said "vide"

wow.. he straight up did

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

im the gorbie tank

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

So his port wine stain isn’t a cyber-gadget, just an unfortunate birthmark?

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.
Bible Baby lives!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7TQ3BMcnX4

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

catchy but I give it 0/10 based on the creator sticking his dumb face in there

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

TuxedoOrca posted:

Meticulously animated machinery moving and switches being flipped. A highly detailed VCR or HiFi. CDs and Floppies being inserted into a equally highly detailed PC. This is what I love.

:pusheen:

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

That DICK! posted:

wow.. he straight up did

Can anyone verify this?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

stephenthinkpad posted:

Japan for some reason has to understand the world through anime school girls and boys. Talk about international politics? Put it in an anime show with 80% school kids; stories of wars and assassins? Make middle school kids act them out. Giant robot fighting? You guess it, piloted by middle schoolers in uniforms, mandatory.

It wasn't like that in the 80s when Japan had normal grown up animation like Space Cobra with normal grown up romance subplots and sex scenes.

Japan has plenty of media that isn’t anime. Trying to view the entire culture through that one genre is like trying to imagine that all US culture is superhero comics.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
move this thread to ADTRW

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

LanceHunter posted:

Japan has plenty of media that isn’t anime. Trying to view the entire culture through that one genre is like trying to imagine that all US culture is superhero comics.

That basically is the entirety of USA culture in 2024 tho

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

LanceHunter posted:

it is

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LanceHunter posted:

Trying to view the entire culture through that one genre is like trying to imagine that all US culture is superhero comics.

Isn't it?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

catchy but I give it 0/10 based on the creator sticking his dumb face in there

It was a banger but I don’t think it’s possible to hit the high that was that mastodon men song. We’ll be chasing that dragon for uh e rest of our short lives

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Vim Fuego posted:

move this thread to ADTRW

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i will personally never interact with a japanese person ever again after watching men behind the sun

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
new smiling friends in 12 hours or so maybe, happy easter

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I watched that thief (1981) movie last night, michael mann's first. it was alright, was expecting a lot more thiefing, but at least a solid half of it is just james caan being an rear end in a top hat and chicago being depressing.

really cannot overstate how depressing and glum late 70s chicago comes across in that movie, just the ugliest people with the worst personalities in a grimy rear end city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The cars in that movie are such amazing malaise era dogshit