Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Regarde Aduck posted:

you're a westerner and you and your leadership are retarded :)

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Zerg Mans posted:

Why didn't that happen when we invaded a country for no reason

You obviously didn't get a gig building stupid expensive mansions in Virginia or DC.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Life if cheap in the Occident.

Remember they invoked Stop-Loss rather than offer signing bonuses or otherwise incentivize recruitment.

Recruitment incentivization would not work with their current ridiculous delay to even get an e-mail back to confirm you want to join anyway.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I attended a panel where a guy from a four letter agency discussed efforts to drop arms and otherwise provide support to fighters in the Panjshir Valley in August 2021, within a few weeks of Kabul falling.

I actually got the book from a guy on Twitter claiming to be NLF quoting from it

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Nix Panicus posted:

Unironically the most devastating blow to the Russian economy might be to remove the protectionist measures imposed by sanctions and dare them to trust their reserves to international finance again

I wasn't actually kidding. remove the sanctions and the tensions inside the Russian bourgeoisie increase. there's a side that doesn't want to give up on Europe to cozy up to China and they're on the outside with the sanctions in place

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
The biggest worry of the Russian economy imo is anti Central Asian sentiment affecting their migrant workers. Some sources say they are 25% of the workforce. Lowest percentage I have seen is 8%.

genericnick posted:

Wasn't this when that one fail kid of that other warlord was talking big about making a stand? What's his name, Masoud?

Yup, Ahmad Massoud, son of Ahmad Shah Massoud, last I heard head of the National Resistance Front.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

dk2m posted:

i checked out of the news for about a month, what did i miss here

fizziester posted:

Warlordism is happening in real-time in Ukraine right now.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
As far as Central Asians and racism goes, the situation from what I can tell is probably better than in 2020-2021 when it was offcharts due to COVID and high unemployment. If anything it seems like low unemployment and rent has taken some of the teeth out of it. The government added a bunch of restrictions but may eventually have to loosen them.

It is just that Russian employers have to accept having to raise wages at this point because there isn't really another solution.

After the war is a good question because you will have a degree of demobilization and industrial slowdown but there probably is going to be reconstruction work available. Russia may not be going back to the old days as far as the size of its military and MIC goes, it has been too stark of a lesson.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 07:16 on Mar 31, 2024

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Spergin Morlock posted:

I wasn't actually kidding. remove the sanctions and the tensions inside the Russian bourgeoisie increase. there's a side that doesn't want to give up on Europe to cozy up to China and they're on the outside with the sanctions in place

you might be right but this would require the west to admit that sanctions aren't working

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

Earlier this month, the mayor of Paris said she would prefer for Russian and Belarusian contestants not to come at all. “We cannot act as if [the Russian military operation in Ukraine] did not exist,” she told Reuters.

When asked about Israel’s Olympic participation – in the context of the Gaza war, raging since the Hamas attack on October 7 – Hidalgo insisted there was no comparison to be made.

Sanctioning Israeli athletes is “out of the question because Israel is a democracy,” she stated.

:allears:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

tazjin posted:

Earlier this month, the mayor of Paris said she would prefer for Russian and Belarusian contestants not to come at all. “We cannot act as if [the Russian military operation in Ukraine] did not exist,” she told Reuters.

When asked about Israel’s Olympic participation – in the context of the Gaza war, raging since the Hamas attack on October 7 – Hidalgo insisted there was no comparison to be made.

Sanctioning Israeli athletes is “out of the question because Israel is a democracy,” she stated.

burn everything down

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Spergin Morlock posted:

Yeah but the West removing sanctions officially would be admitting their own policy failure for the last 2 years. The damage to their imaginary prestige is larger than the chaos created inside Russia.

The EU would only remove the sanctions secretly and let "indirect trading" become the norm.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

tazjin posted:

the west really is desperate to destroy its remaining soft power, huh?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://twitter.com/Alex_Oloyede2/status/1773461252595159481?t=5aDICZLm3AvriGXEO5jAXQ&s=19

Russia will Kinzhal big Z on May 21st?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cerebral Bore posted:

the west really is desperate to destroy its remaining soft power, huh?

They don't actually know what that is.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

tazjin posted:

By that logic, them being from a democratic nation actually make it worse, since they've ~freely elected~ their genocidial government

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Palladium posted:

lol remind me again how the mainland KMT did (not at all)

they did a lot of fighting what the hell.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Good news for Ukraine: the cafe and bar scene in Kyiv is going strong

Eclectic, arty and the food is fantastic - this city isn’t what I’d imagined

quote:

Kyiv: Ukrainian and Russian kids are all taught a famous historical phrase at school: “4am Kyiv is bombed”.

It is how the German bombardment of Kyiv in 1941 was announced and has been mythologised in Soviet literature, film and song ever since.

For us, the sirens sounded at 3am.

“Attention. Air raid alert,” a voice says from an app on my mobile phone. “Proceed to the nearest shelter.”

I’m later told that voice is rather grave but calming baritone of actor Mark Hamill, aka Luke Skywalker of Star Wars fame, urging people to take cover whenever Russia unleashes another aerial bombardment.

It’s a somewhat surreal moment in a surreal city. A few hours earlier we were having cocktails in a busy bar after an 18-hour rickety train ride from Moldova. All the bars seem crowded here, even if it’s snowing outside. If you listen carefully you’ll hear Brits or Americans and accents from all over Europe and the world. Spooks and aid workers, diplomats and journalists.

They started calling Kyiv the “new Berlin” even before the war. It’s eclectic, arty, the food is amazing and cheap and the wine and beer are fantastic.

Despite a curfew from midnight until 5am, the occasional sirens and the constant anxiety of missiles, everyone tells me Kyiv’s sophisticated spirit has returned.

Still, the idea of even having a drink or relaxing while so many people are on edge seems uncomfortable. Ukrainian soldiers are dying every day along the frontlines in the east and southeast.

Some others also find the return to business as usual in Kyiv and other cities hard to deal with.
Scratch the surface anywhere in Ukraine, in places like Dnipro, Kharkiv, Odesa and Zaporizhzhia, and that first impression of resilience makes way for weariness.

People are incredibly tired. It is rare anywhere to get through a day or night without air raid sirens.

On this particular night in Kyiv 13 people were injured by a missile strike. But, unless you’re with the armed forces on the eastern front, you’re far more likely to die on the roads here.

According to the Department of Patrol Police, in 2023, there were 23,642 road accidents in Ukraine in which people were either killed or injured, which is 26.9 per cent more than in 2022.

Last year 3053 people died as a result of road accidents nationwide, including 283 in Lviv, a city in the country’s west towards the Polish border. About 93 people died from 501 rocket attacks in that city while in Dnipro, 220 people died on the roads compared to 17 in Russian strikes.

The war, no matter where you are here, is taking a huge psychological toll. Many of the deaths come from weary drivers blindly travelling through intersections, striking people at pedestrian crossings or driving into oncoming traffic.

Kyiv, founded in 482, is one of the oldest cities in Eastern Europe and has passed through several stages of prominence and obscurity. But today the phrase “the new Berlin” isn’t just shorthand for a European city that is cheap, fun, and up-and-coming. Like the German city post-WWII, it is quite literally on the frontline of the battle for democracy.

“Welcome to Kyiv”, says our one-man greeting party, Chris, as we arrive at the railway station. “You don’t think there’s a war here until there is.”

Kyiv, apart from the obvious things such as a working airport, is a fully functioning international city. Across it, there are reminders of the ongoing war: from banners calling for the release of Ukrainian prisoners of war, to the many men and women wearing uniforms and the endless blue and yellow flags.

I’m told by my new friends there are now more cafes and restaurants in Kyiv than there were before the start of the war, thanks to the economic incentives the city has offered to encourage people to open businesses.

Despite the fighting the city’s population has grown beyond 3.1 million, with many people having moved to Kyiv from other parts of the country because of its strong air defence systems, which have stopped hundreds of Russian missiles hitting the capital.

Kyiv’s basement bars and speakeasies have found that they are well suited to wartime. A new friend I meet sends me via WhatsApp a list of them and the passwords to get in.

To enter one of them I’d have to say “Geisha Kimono” and I get stressed that this is a practical joke, and they’d laugh at me, so I gave that one a miss. Instead, I go to another place, hidden down an alleyway, where the password is “loggerhead”.

They’ve emptied the bar of all Russian spirits, replacing them with Ukrainian or foreign brands.

Not too far away at the restaurant Under Wonder, they’ve said they will offer free champagne on the day of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s death, a modern echo of Washington’s 1203 restaurant, which back in 1953 offered free borscht on the occasion of Stalin’s death.

Despite the heightened stress and anxiety here, everyone is incredibly welcoming and grateful to see visitors. It wasn’t what I expected from a war zone, but thank goodness most people my age haven’t had to live in one.

I feel guilty leaving after only a week or so. But I tell everyone I meet we won’t forget them. There’s far too much at stake.

Just like Berlin, you say :thunk:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

Yeah but the West removing sanctions officially would be admitting their own policy failure for the last 2 years. The damage to their imaginary prestige is larger than the chaos created inside Russia.

The EU would only remove the sanctions secretly and let "indirect trading" become the norm.

yea I know. it's funny how any injuries experienced by the US and EU through the whole ordeal have been completely self inflicted

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

According to the Department of Patrol Police, in 2023, there were 23,642 road accidents in Ukraine in which people were either killed or injured, which is 26.9 per cent more than in 2022.

Last year 3053 people died as a result of road accidents nationwide, including 283 in Lviv, a city in the country’s west towards the Polish border. About 93 people died from 501 rocket attacks in that city while in Dnipro, 220 people died on the roads compared to 17 in Russian strikes.

hosed up

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Halfway through Ischenko's Into the Abyss. Not going to post excerpts since I'm reading on paper and also I'm lazy, but it's pretty good. Points for his prediction in March 2022 that Russia will have to turn to Keynsianism to forge a new social compact in order to prosecute the war.

hmhb fan
Feb 4, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I wish I knew how to clip things, because Kurt is going hard here and it's great. We were just talking about how hard it is to explain Bandera, Azov etc. to normal people, he gives it a go with Adam Friedland who imo goes out of his way to be obtuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-88aOonmE&t=7069s

Can somebody get the dude on the left a microphone

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

hmhb fan posted:

no

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

hmhb fan posted:

they did a billion sound treatments ok

hmhb fan
Feb 4, 2024

Only adults wear pampers

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

hmhb fan posted:

Only adults wear pampers are tough enough to shoot rows of children in the back of the head

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

If Hamas was half as well equipped as the Russian or Ukrainian army has Tel Aviv would fall faster than Kabul lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Both of them were annoying and purposefully obtuse, I think the American elite is getting grumpy.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PanzerIVAusfE/status/1774377700591104326?t=umhfUsAskOYQJw3-6TjgJQ&s=19

All the replies are like this, just variations of "lol its gonna be the T14 Armata of consoles amirite guys"

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

As if Israel wouldn't implode immediately without US foreign aid

EDIT: literally the trust fund baby bragging about how they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Regarde Aduck posted:

burn everything down

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/PanzerIVAusfE/status/1774377700591104326?t=umhfUsAskOYQJw3-6TjgJQ&s=19

All the replies are like this, just variations of "lol its gonna be the T14 Armata of consoles amirite guys"

To be fair, Russia didn’t really do much semiconductor-wise. Then again, few nations did.

On that note, anything actually come of the T-14 or is it in development hell forever? The Su-57 at least got fielded.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

genericnick posted:

Halfway through Ischenko's Into the Abyss. Not going to post excerpts since I'm reading on paper and also I'm lazy, but it's pretty good. Points for his prediction in March 2022 that Russia will have to turn to Keynsianism to forge a new social compact in order to prosecute the war.

And done. Neat little memory trip about how everything went to poo poo.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
mr pootin, it is time for gaming PCs.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Dendy shall return

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

To be fair, Russia didn’t really do much semiconductor-wise. Then again, few nations did.

On that note, anything actually come of the T-14 or is it in development hell forever? The Su-57 at least got fielded.

It exists and there are photos of it doing something but production is focused on the T-series and BMPTs because they can pump out more of those than Armatas.

edit:

Военный Осведомитель posted:

Новые Т-90М «Прорыв», БМПТ «Терминатор», а также Т-72Б3 обр 2023 г. в 130-ом цехе УВЗ во время вчерашнего визита Владимира Путина.

Во время разговора с рабочими УВЗ президент уточнил, что производство танков в прошлом году выросло «не на какие-то проценты», а в 5 раз.

Военный Осведомитель
(from t.me/milinfolive/116461, via tgsa)

Danann has issued a correction as of 17:43 on Mar 31, 2024

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

They exist, I think some were used on the battlefield in a trial. The big thing is they likely are only going to build a small number of them while Western libs pretend they never existed period.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

And hasn’t the Su-57 been flinging FABs from the sidelines, or did I imagine that?

Along with Zircon being used, they’re ironing kinks out on their latest equipment which is useful either way.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Dendy shall return

Hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

And hasn’t the Su-57 been flinging FABs from the sidelines, or did I imagine that?

Along with Zircon being used, they’re ironing kinks out on their latest equipment which is useful either way.

I've heard of Su-57 equipped for air-to-air but haven't heard of them using bombs which is more of an Su-34 thing with UMPKs.