Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is this bit from one of the RTD finales?

It's from the Day of the Doctor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I just like how practically every image I've seen of the Doctor from the timeless child episode is her having to angle her head awkwardly to stare at some thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just thinking about that episode makes me angry all over again. It’s just such a mess.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

tl;dr - The Timeless Children is a bad episode of Doctor Who and Chris Chibnall was a bad showrunner.

Neither of those are easy to dispute. (I wonder if they're even possible to dispute.)

The Timeless Child idea is just bonkers, but potentially GREAT bonkers. The Doctor's past is all made up, and we know we don't really know the half of it, and the Timeless Child idea addresses not just the Morbius faces but also Seven's "more than just a Time Lord" and if Chibnall had pulled this off, it'd be like Holmes and The Deadly Assassin: enraging fans of the show at the time, but being pivotal in a few decades and reconsidered.

He didn't pull it off.

In fact, the episode is a complete mess. Worse, it's a complete mess with more potentially good ideas than most of Chibnall's whole run. Seriously, The Battle of Kan't Be Bothered is such a total failure and it arguably has between one and two ideas which it totally wastes. As a season ender, this one has so many more totally wasted ideas! Even if we just think along thematic lines: humans hiding inside Cybersuits while an insane Cyberman tries to roboticize the Cybermen, until he's comedy-killed by the Master for being boring; a retcon of the Time Lords that takes the show's past hints that their "non-interference" policy came after a lengthy period of being massive British-like colonial imperialists across Space and Time, with the Doctor herself as someone exploited and gaslit who finally turned against them and rejected them repeatedly after that point; the "Cyber-Lords" as a way of thematically reconceptualizing these new "regeneration-stealers" as an organic version of the Cybermen who "muzzzt survive," and who should have their personalities back and immediately turn on the Master for being so colossally stupid as to bring them BACK; the Doctor discovering a hidden secret about her past that briefly incapacitates her until her other selves remind her of the difference between what the Time Lords tried to make of her, and what she made and still makes of herself... there's probably one or two more ideas in there as well. If you set about trying to write a story that squanders the potential contained in these ideas, well, you'd have to be really skilled to do that as well as Chibnall does here.

I have a sneaking suspicion that RTD has a plan to redeem this whole mess, and it seems likely it has to do with myth becoming real earlier than we think it did, but we'll see. It's clear that he loves this episode for knocking down the sandcastle and leaving him with the challenge of rebuilding it afresh; what's less clear is how much he loves the central concept behind it.

I will say this: I like this explanation of how the Doctor has more than 12 regenerations more than Moffat's decision to deliberately put Eleven at the end of the cycle and then "save" him via the Time Lords. That wasn't just bullshit, it was obvious and uninteresting bullshit, stacked on top of the "I saved Gallifrey and should look for it but never actually will" subplot that he introduced for no good reason whatsoever. At least Chibnall took a big swing here. If every one of these episodes had this level of ambition, he might have gotten lucky and had a fantastic episode or two in amidst the wreckage.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774428938942521412

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I liked the Time Lords saving Eleven, and I also liked Eleven being his last regeneration - it seemed fitting. It also made Twelve's insecurity and identity issues make plenty of sense in hindsight. Ten-2 counting as a whole regeneration was a bit eye roll but I did laugh at the explanation

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Episode 1
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774421389421765059

Episode 2
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774428938942521412

Episode 3
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774436488085643718

Episode 4
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774444037413482910

Episode 5
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774451587085144512

Episode 6
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774459136710729780

Episode 7
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774466686130716964

Episode 8
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774474235752157656

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 31, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Episode 3 is 'Boom'. Written by Moffat. Directed by Julie Anne Robinson

Oh lol, Moffat's actually doing his script where The Doctor spends the entire story stuck on a landmine.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Moffat had an interview a little while back where he responded to a question about him writing for the show with "if I say anything about Doctor Who it goes round the world like boom". He also said he wasn't being evasive but just refrained from comment because saying he's not writing for Doctor Who "doesn't exactly bring joy to the world".

So the question is, who is writing the next Christmas special?

Barry Foster posted:

I liked the Time Lords saving Eleven, and I also liked Eleven being his last regeneration - it seemed fitting. It also made Twelve's insecurity and identity issues make plenty of sense in hindsight. Ten-2 counting as a whole regeneration was a bit eye roll but I did laugh at the explanation

Regenerating a whole clone is a pretty valid reason to make it count towards the limit. I enjoy that the regeneration limit just comes up in casual conversation, not as some looming thing that needs to be resolved but as a fact of life. Everyone gets old and dies.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That is a lot of episodes written solely by Davies. I guess he's been saving up all of Doctor Who ideas.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

2house2fly posted:

I enjoy that the regeneration limit just comes up in casual conversation, not as some looming thing that needs to be resolved but as a fact of life. Everyone gets old and dies.

Yeah exactly. Which is why I liked what happened with Capaldi. You've gotten elderly for the last time, you've really finally prepared yourself for real, actual, final death, you've had 900 years to make your peace with it - and then you get a whole new lifetime out of the blue, unasked for.

That's going to cause some serious adjustment issues

EDIT and although Capaldi's last episode was kinda bodged it did make sense that he wanted to Die die.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Interesting title reuse
Wonder if the story will be similar too

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So full episode title list is out

RTD apparrently has been chomping at the bit with 6 of the 8 episodes written by himself. (Add in the recent specials and that's 10 of 12 episodes!)
Moffats back for an ep!
Kate Herron is the Director of every ep of Loki S1, so that ep should be interesting to see.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vinylshadow posted:

Interesting title reuse
Wonder if the story will be similar too

The last of The Darksmith Legacy was called "The End of Time" and it had nothing to do with the TV ep.

And the Seventh Doctor Lost Story "Thin Ice" had the same title as a Twelfth TV story.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 31, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

I dig these little teaser dealios

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
‘Smith’ on the dance card for Rogue. :allears:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'd assumed that RTD's second era would consist of him finding young new talent and "audition" people who could take over as showrunner, but apparently he's feeling his oats on the first season at least

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
And finally the trailer. I am very very excited.
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1774481785235054806?t=hTbrctLQdejR4LLwK4TQwA&s=19

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Still a little disappointed about only getting eight episodes. Would love a surprise announcement that each one is 70-90 minutes, but that won’t happen.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Considering how much of a scramble it seems to have been to get Doctor Who back into production, I can see why RTD went so hands-on. Hopefully next season will focus on widening the pool.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Widescreen!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAwebgSJ60k

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

YouTube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAwebgSJ60k

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
This is a very beautiful trailer.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So nice we posted it twice!

Looking like a destroyed Gallifrey in a few shots. And the Moffat landmine story looking legit

Hoping that's part of the regular music tracks as well, it rules.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I'd assumed that RTD's second era would consist of him finding young new talent and "audition" people who could take over as showrunner, but apparently he's feeling his oats on the first season at least

Is this a typo or just a [I can't remember the A word for colloquial turns of phrase] I am unfamiliar with.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

He's backed up with stories and he's blowing his wad all at once

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's like when you've fed a horse a bunch of oats before a race so it has a lot of energy and confidence.

Liked the trailer, Gatwa did a good job delivering the obvious Moffat line

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Was that Rose (Noble) in UNIT?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ohhh, thank you that makes sense. I was imagining someone with a huge hemp sack of quaker oats putting their hands in it and letting the oats run through their fingers, couldn't make heads or tails of what feeling grabbing raw oatmeal evokes lol

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Moffat writing with RTD story-editing again is very exciting.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Thank ya.

Looks fun!

Very fun!

New Doctor looks cool and fun. He appears to be having the time of his life.

Ruby looks like a fun companion who I'm sure will last for many seasons.

*cough*

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I liked her and wish she was sticking around longer but the odds of me not also liking the next companion are like 5% so bring on the companions!

To be honest with this era of baby seasons I'm sure I'll be wanting everything and everyone to stick around longer

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
The Doctor getting out of the Matrix using the power of archive footage in The Timeless Children really is the icing on the cake. And I like it when sometimes the faces of the classic Doctors are shown to say "yep, this is the same character", like that really neat bit of editing in Smith's first episode.

Aren't the Sisterhood of Khan also Time Lords? They should be fine, even with Chibnall's awful "The Master somehow genocided the race of Time Lords somehow" handwave.

Unless there's some major twist, looks like we're waiting until the season after for 15 to meet the daleks.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

So full episode title list is out

RTD apparrently has been chomping at the bit with 6 of the 8 episodes written by himself. (Add in the recent specials and that's 10 of 12 episodes!)
Moffats back for an ep!
Kate Herron is the Director of every ep of Loki S1, so that ep should be interesting to see.

Perhaps more than any time in Doctor Who history, this season is going to be one person's vision of the show. Succeed or fail, it's all on Davies.

Khanstant posted:

I liked her and wish she was sticking around longer but the odds of me not also liking the next companion are like 5% so bring on the companions!

To be honest with this era of baby seasons I'm sure I'll be wanting everything and everyone to stick around longer

Next companion is a teenage boy who's very good at math...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Random Stranger posted:

Perhaps more than any time in Doctor Who history, this season is going to be one person's vision of the show. Succeed or fail, it's all on Davies.

Chibnall wrote literally every episode of Flux.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RTD: I'm only hiring people with experience making Doctor Who.

Infinitum posted:

Kate Herron is the Director of every ep of Loki S1

RTD: Well she meets all the qualifications!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Timby posted:

Chibnall wrote literally every episode of Flux.

Technically true, but I wouldn't describe anything Chibnall wrote having "vision" or "characters" or "a plot."

RTD writing basically the whole series does make me a tad nervous. He acquitted himself well with the specials and writing most of the episodes means he will, by definition, be doing some non-arc ones which is where he's strongest, but he's not going to be around forever and the show desperately needs to cultivate new talent.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I know writing for audio and tv are not the same thing but there definitely are some very solid big finish writers I'm just saying.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My guess is that he wrote most of this first season because it takes awhile for the writers for the second season to climb up the side of his body to get close enough to his ear that he can hear their pitches. Several fell and died in the process, but this is the weeding out part of the creative process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rochallor posted:

Technically true, but I wouldn't describe anything Chibnall wrote having "vision" or "characters" or "a plot."

RTD writing basically the whole series does make me a tad nervous. He acquitted himself well with the specials and writing most of the episodes means he will, by definition, be doing some non-arc ones which is where he's strongest, but he's not going to be around forever and the show desperately needs to cultivate new talent.

If I had to wager a guess, Davies made the decision to write the majority of the season once the Disney money was secured. We know from The Writer's Tale that Davies is an insane workaholic who can turn around a script from outline to shooting draft in 48 hours--admittedly, not always for the better, in quite a few cases--and there was probably pressure from Disney to start seeing a return on their investment much sooner than later. So my feeling is he said, "OK, gently caress it, I'll write most of it, I'll get Moffat to do one and then I liked this pitch from someone else. And maybe we'll do things different with the next season."