Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Are you reading it correctly? It's a permanently scaling +chips joker that starts at a flat +10 chips and upgrades by 8 for every scored 2.

It's legitimately not difficult to get it over +100 chips per hand, its pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Yeah, that still seems super underwhelming for a rare card, compared to Hiker or Castle which are both uncommons

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
It's probably one of my favourite Rare cards, especially if you get it early so you can prioritise playing 2's in early Antes.

Do you understand that it scales, so by the end of the run it can be generating hundreds of chips per hand? Like Stuntman without the hand size debuff!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It is an interesting build around. I got one in the first shop and a Hack in the next and built my deck around it, I ended up close to 800 chips by ante 10 when I lost.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sockser posted:

Yeah, that still seems super underwhelming for a rare card, compared to Hiker or Castle which are both uncommons

If nothing else it's a lot easier to upgrade than hiker, especially since you can upgrade it more than once a hand.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I understand that it scales and that it is a useful card

I do not see justification for it being as high a rarity as it is and spoiling my guaranteed rare jokers

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
I get what you mean, but I would kick Sixth Sense, Seance and Obelisk down to Uncommon before I considered demoting my beloved Wee Joker

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Hiker only scales the card it triggers on. Wee Joker scales every single card subsequently scored. In a 52-card deck, even assuming you will always use x card if you see it, you have +4 to something that has 13.5% odds of being in your hand, you're getting 0.54 expected chips per card drawn; Wee is 8 at 100% odds for 8 once it's happened.

8 expected chips is around 14.8x more reward than 0.54 chips. But not drawing a 2 is only 12x more likely than drawing a 2. And it's real, real easy to push 2 higher with Abandoned, smart arcana, or lucky spectral.

Castle fares a bit better at guaranteed 3 future chips per proc, but here since the gained chips apply to every play, we can ratio them on odds of triggering a gain to begin with:
.25 * 3 = .75
.08 * 8 = .62 (rounding issues)

Nice with a base deck. Can get even nicer with Smeared in play as well. But discards are rarer than hands, have unpredictable interactions with other jokers, and you can't ever chase 100% uptime with Smeared (and if we're bringing in Smeared we need to bring in Hack which is also a flat 2x procs) while you can with Wee.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

trying to get black deck cleared on white stake, got this for jokers:

the final blind disabled the Cavendish, I was so loving close :negative:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Finally beat gold stake on Erratic, my 2nd gold stake :toot:
I didn't even need to sell a joker because of how mine were set up. (+20 mult on 4 of a kind, +22 foil knife, x4 mult on 4 of a kind, x5.25 mult on the joker that gains xmult by adding cards to the deck, x1.75~mult from Ramen)

I just needed a few 7s for 4 of a kinds :v:

Next up is probly Plasma since I'm at like purple stake there.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Sockser posted:

I understand that it scales and that it is a useful card

I do not see justification for it being as high a rarity as it is and spoiling my guaranteed rare jokers

Get The Hack, Seltzer, and/or Fibonacci and watch it pop off

Edit: to answer your question tho I think the upside of +32 bonus per round for a base deck alone justifies the Rare tag. that amount of potential upside is more than the Castle, Hiker, and Runner on average. And leaning into more 2's makes it scale harder unlike leaning into say Castle which can be unreliable. Actually the more I type poo poo out the more I see how heads above in scaling and upside lil wee boi is.

hes great!

sure okay fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 31, 2024

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Tiny joker is sick and goes great with with zero discard builds that haven't got a shitload of money / you haven't found a bull. I've gotten tiny joker to 1000+ chips ez with hack/fibonacci and that joker that retriggers first played

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Finally got a legendary joker! The one that gets x1 mult per destroyed face card!

…while I was using the Abandoned deck.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Free 8 bucks! :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Necronomicon posted:

Finally got a legendary joker! The one that gets x1 mult per destroyed face card!

Womp Womp.

Note that Canio is absolutely disgusting in any other deck, especially if you can land something like Trading Card to get reliable card destruction. Meanwhile the only time I've seen Yorick is on ante 7. Good luck getting 23 discards to activate it then.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ok math is breaking my brain here

Disclaimer I am not super good at math

But one of the things I thought I knew was that multiplication was the same either way -- 2x6 = 12, and 6x2 = 12 also. So if I have 2x2 and I have the option to add 4 chips or 4 mult, it'd be the same either way. But then if I've got 100x2 and I have the option to add 4 chips or 4 mult, then 100x6 gets me 600 and 104x2 gets me 208.

what is happening?? does it always get you more money if you add to the smaller side?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Yes. This is part of why plasma deck is strong, because it always makes your small number bigger.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yes, when multiplying, balancing out the numbers will give you a higher number than if the numbers were extremely favored on one side. Multiplication is just adding a number to itself. If you were paid $100 and you could either get paid $100 again or change that payment to $101, you'd obviously take the second $100 right?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Thank you so much that makes perfect sense

It's just one of those things that I thought I "learned" in grade school and have never really had reason to examine again except in the context of this game, so finding out it wasn't working the way I thought it would made the world go off its axis for a minute.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

The "real-world" equivalent of the plasma deck behavior is that if you are fencing a rectangle using a fixed amount of fence, you maximize the fenced area by making a square.

Then your boss shows up and forces you to delete a joker and you lose and get laughed at by a playing card.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Can Soul show up in the shop if you're using Ghost Deck? I assume not, but I'm desperate for any way to get this last Legendary Joker and running exclusively on Yellow deck for the last two weeks hasn't helped.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
The only challenge I have left to do is Jokerless, and drat it's kickin' my rear end.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

MJeff posted:

Can Soul show up in the shop if you're using Ghost Deck? I assume not, but I'm desperate for any way to get this last Legendary Joker and running exclusively on Yellow deck for the last two weeks hasn't helped.

I don't think there's any real limitation on where Soul can show up if it's a valid spectral card location, beyond of course how frustratingly rare it is.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
very important news

https://x.com/LocalThunk/status/1774472522769350714?s=20

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Let's gooooooooooo

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

That feels tremendously specific for a balance change

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

:stare:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

finally, this was loving me up. I will finally play Balatro again

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Necronomicon posted:

This happened to me too! I also got a buffed Pareidolia so it actually worked out really well :).

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Onmi posted:

The only challenge I have left to do is Jokerless, and drat it's kickin' my rear end.

I posted uh, way too much about Jokerless. It does require you to get extremely lucky but after I started going after a specific plan of attack, I saw more and more progress.

You need to get your economy rolling early because you have to buy as many Tarot and Celestial cards as possible. I would refresh until I got the “$15 for beating the boss” in ante 1. Getting a Hermit in Ante 2 or 3 will make a huge difference. From there, pick a suit and aggressively convert cards to that suit. You also want to start making as many Glass and Steel cards as possible, but mostly Glass. The absolute best Tarot card in the mid-to-late Antes is Death, especially if you have a Glass card with a Red stamp or Holo/Poly. The only Planets worth buying are Mars and Jupiter. Avoid playing Flush Fives or Flush Houses because it just adds more variance. Every voucher is helpful, but Telescope makes a tremendous difference. And you can still get turbo hosed by getting Verdant Leaf (sell a joker or everything is debuffed) in ante 8.

In my final winning run, my deck only had 37 cards, 36 of which were hearts. Almost every card had some sort of upgrade. My last hand was 4 Red Stamp Poly Glass 9s for 1.2 million points. It was intensely satisfying after close to 100 failed runs and at least 10 hours.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

lunar detritus posted:

That feels tremendously specific for a balance change

I don't think it's for balance reasons. Odd Todd giving an even amount of chips just seemed a bit silly.

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

I’ve been trying to clear orange stake and I think I’m hitting a point where it’s just not fun at all anymore trying to slog through early antes trying to get something that makes a run feasible at all. It feels like it’s about 90% luck-based at this point.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

sirtommygunn posted:

I don't think it's for balance reasons. Odd Todd giving an even amount of chips just seemed a bit silly.

Yes but 31 is a prime number which trumps odd. Should be called Prime Time joker imo,

Leon Sumbitches fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 31, 2024

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Yes but 31 is a prime number which trumps odd. Should be called Prime Time joker imo

I'm actually surprised that there isn't a joker that gives a bonus to prime numbered cards. Though I guess it'd probably be too similar to Fibonacci.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:hmmyes:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

DaveWoo posted:

I'm actually surprised that there isn't a joker that gives a bonus to prime numbered cards. Though I guess it'd probably be too similar to Fibonacci.

It almost certainly would, the only difference is Prime would hit 7 instead of 8.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

DaveWoo posted:

Wouldn't it hit the same cards as old odd Todd?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

just bought the game again on steam deck so i could play it while my switch is charging....

hmm

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Wouldn't it hit the same cards as old odd Todd?

Aces and 9s are odd but not prime, and 2s are prime but not odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
An ace gives 11 chips, which is prime. QED