Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Nonsense posted:

an acquittance went on a cruise and steam pipes in the engine area burst killing two crewmen, she said people only found out because the captain announced it over the intercom, cutting off the song Party Rock Anthem to do so

ah yes, "no real person involved"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
rewatched Dunc 2 with my parents. It was even better the second time around.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

i say swears online posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLMZPlIufA0

this is really great and gets super creepy about halfway through

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Not having physical controllers for the $3,500 headset is such a gobsmackingly stupid decision it makes Tesla's touchscreen slider transmission seem smart

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Justin Tyme posted:

Tesla's touchscreen slider transmission

lol what

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

indigi posted:

lol what

Yeah, this. I recall the AI inspired indicator signals, but what is this?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Iirc, to put it in drive, you slide up on the scroll bar on the infotainment screen. To put it in reverse, you slide down

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-G0GnhBS0A

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Justin Tyme posted:

Iirc, to put it in drive, you slide up on the scroll bar on the infotainment screen. To put it in reverse, you slide down

E:

Watching the bridge consoles on ST:TNG and taking notes on how awesome controlling anything is with a touchscreen.

They really should get rid of the steering wheel and pedals. So antiquated.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Augus posted:

sounds like the premise is just a contrivance to have the silly dichotomy of cutesy idols acting like yakuza members

I feel like they could just do that naturally with a Mean Girls riff.

Alternatively: Ah, the ol' inverse Goro Majima.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I've been doing an abridged rewatch of DB/Z/S and I gotta say I think sidelining Gohan after the Cell games was a bad decision

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

l m a o

https://x.com/unaflown/status/1773859211325149356

https://x.com/unaflown/status/1774138754212528484

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
hitler auto company keeps winning

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

wow that is blatant

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

indigi posted:

I've been doing an abridged rewatch of DB/Z/S and I gotta say I think sidelining Gohan after the Cell games was a bad decision

wrong Gohan is lame, he had his moment at the end of Cell but post that bleh

Gohan is cool when hes not trying to be like his dad and when hes wearing a purple gi

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Problem is Gohan's not dumb enough to carry a shonen. Most of those shows struggle without a proper entertaining dumbass main character.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

thats a beautiful car. love the color. how much?

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

its really funny how netflix took the chinese alien book and turned it into egregious yellow scare slop

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Problem is Gohan's not dumb enough to carry a shonen. Most of those shows struggle without a proper entertaining dumbass main character.

At least Super Hero proved that he can be dumb in his own way. Dude's too busy researching ants to care about anything else going on until he hears his daughter was kidnapped!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Watching the bridge consoles on ST:TNG and taking notes on how awesome controlling anything is with a touchscreen.

They really should get rid of the steering wheel and pedals. So antiquated.

"Computer, accelerate. Computer, accelerate. Computer, accelerate. Computer, accelerate. Computer, accelerate. COMPUTER, BRAKE"

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

indigi posted:

wow that is blatant

Honky Mao posted:

its really funny how netflix took the chinese alien book and turned it into egregious yellow scare slop

But how can we adapt a Chinese thing and not use it unironically to set the stage for US vs. China, coming late 2020s?

Though actually, the struggle session scenes are direct from the book as I recall and was a dumb part of that period in China that got corrected for later. It’s also badass China did the needful in getting extrasolar help to stop biosphere collapse too, so many plaudits.

Kit Walker posted:

"Computer, accelerate. Computer, accelerate. Computer, accelerate. Computer, accelerate. Computer, accelerate. COMPUTER, BRAKE"

Reminds me of this art program I had on the Amiga where you could type in code for what the cursor would do in moving and drawing a line.

We should do that. Plan route, then press execute. No, I’m not aware of other road users, I drive a big safe car.

Also: https://youtu.be/uWhCZmPpYy0?si=U4YCkrozz3HqjRpq

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Justin Tyme posted:

E:

lmao this is fuckin insane. I’m driving a rental right now and it's all buttons to shift which I also hate, but at least they're physical objects you can engage without looking at them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I know this isn't the car thread but all the touchscreen bullshit in cars sucks so bad. touchscreens are awful for any application besides entertainment

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

indigi posted:

lmao this is fuckin insane. I’m driving a rental right now and it's all buttons to shift which I also hate, but at least they're physical objects you can engage without looking at them

The trend for touch sensitive haptic “buttons” on steering wheels that VW and BMW did has ended, at least.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

indigi posted:

I know this isn't the car thread but all the touchscreen bullshit in cars sucks so bad. touchscreens are awful for any application besides entertainment

I like how Elon sold cost-cutting as futurism.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

busalover posted:

I like how Elon sold cost-cutting as futurism.

Uh, actually, that’s Minimalism, and it’s super cool
and good and Bowwowhaus.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Any form of shifting other than a stick is genuinely insane and the sort of thing a government should ban.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

1stGear posted:

Any form of shifting other than a stick is genuinely insane and the sort of thing a government should ban.

wow why do you hate innovation and entrepreneurship

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

shifting is a bourgeois affectation. embrace the cvt or perish

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
the worse cars are to drive the better

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

aw frig aw dang it posted:

No. They sound like a granny constantly hitting 7,000 in first.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
The shift letters should be on a constantly spinning wheel and you need careful timing to select the right one.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Reinventing the joy of driving by making each decision a quick time event.

https://youtu.be/tmAkH2BNJUs?si=kKfyYNCVuMDJVZw8

selec
Sep 6, 2003

god-tier work. thank you!!!!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I really liked the new season of Girls5Eva. All the 30 Rock derivatives are basically the same show but it's fine, I'll happily watch that slop.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
I've only seen the first season of G5E so far, but the one big difference I picked up in it compared to 30 Rock and esp to Kimmy Schmidt is that the show seems less mean-spirited in a healthy way. I was down for that in 30 Rock because it's sending up an industry that has all sorts of awful yet well-off people in it, but KS got mean in worse ways towards people who didn't deserve it.

The scene where the Girls realize that negativity was what pushed them to succeed in the past, then consciously deciding they don't want to perpetuate harmful behavior, felt like a big shift to me compared to the other shows - you can just imagine how it would've gone down with Liz and Jenna in that scenario, and while it easily could have turned out funny, it'd be a lot meaner, and I'm not sure we need to go further in that direction after what we saw in KS.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

im saint germain posted:

I've only seen the first season of G5E so far, but the one big difference I picked up in it compared to 30 Rock and esp to Kimmy Schmidt is that the show seems less mean-spirited in a healthy way. I was down for that in 30 Rock because it's sending up an industry that has all sorts of awful yet well-off people in it, but KS got mean in worse ways towards people who didn't deserve it.

The scene where the Girls realize that negativity was what pushed them to succeed in the past, then consciously deciding they don't want to perpetuate harmful behavior, felt like a big shift to me compared to the other shows - you can just imagine how it would've gone down with Liz and Jenna in that scenario, and while it easily could have turned out funny, it'd be a lot meaner, and I'm not sure we need to go further in that direction after what we saw in KS.

That's definitely a recurring theme of it, and it's appropriate considering the subject matter. I also think each 30 Rock-like has reacted in various ways to criticism. That said, I do think those three shows, plus the cancelled-too-soon Great News are all really funny and efficiently written.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

More lighthearted and less mean is a noble goal, but modern comedies tend to be more concerned with messages and plot lines than humor. 30 Rock was (and remains) king because it was stuffed with six jokes a minute

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

aw frig aw dang it posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
the fuckin Hyundai I’m in, if you push the button shift it to drive, won't disengage the parking brake until the driver's seat belt is clicked in. so if you for instance just need to pull forward four inches so you can open the stupid lift gate, you gotta buckle up