Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Khanstant posted:

in highschool a friend beat the game and was excited and his dad asked what he was yellin about and he says "I just beat Diablo!" and his dad goes "oh is that what you call it nowadays?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

itry posted:

Regardless, I don't care. I've played enough D2 back in the day to last me until D10.

I tried going back to D2R, but the endless clicking reminded me of Guitar Hero without music.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
When I was a kid and saw it at the store I thought it was called “Dye-uh-blow”

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vic posted:

It's even better. It's per character level scaling so if you and your friend are fighting a monster it has a health pool proportional to each's characters damage output until you reach max level and start playing on further difficulties.

So your lvl 1 friend is doing roughly the same kinda damage as you on lvl 30 to the same monster but you each see different numbers fly out.

Deep lmao.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

diable 3 on console barely even felt like a pc arpg, it felt more like some kind of top down beat em up or something, it was way more arcadey and dynamic to play than depressing pc grindathons usually are. I think it was the dodge roll. I played it late in its run though which had to have somehow helped.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Diablo 4 is the idyllic version of the second worst genre of games

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

diable 3 on console barely even felt like a pc arpg, it felt more like some kind of top down beat em up or something, it was way more arcadey and dynamic to play than depressing pc grindathons usually are. I think it was the dodge roll. I played it late in its run though which had to have somehow helped.

yeah, but what about us nerds who played NetHack?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

I literally only fired up D4 due to positive D3 console memories and basic QoL things like "just give put the better clothes on me when they drop, theres no actual reason to read their stats or notes" which D4 decided was too much fun I guess and removed

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't know anything at all about Diablo 4 beyond seeing a couple screenshots of it and I plan to keep it that way

Vakal
May 11, 2008
It's free on gamepass now so not a big investment if you just want to run around and explode corpses with a necro.

The premium currency poo poo is embarrassing though.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Barudak posted:

I literally only fired up D4 due to positive D3 console memories and basic QoL things like "just give put the better clothes on me when they drop, theres no actual reason to read their stats or notes" which D4 decided was too much fun I guess and removed

D4 put a cooldown on the dodge roll. Yeah guys get the fun movement option and make you wait five seconds before you can do it again.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I bought D3 when I came out and loving hated it. Then I bought it on Switch a few years ago, and D3 on Switch was the most fun my girlfriend and I have ever had playing videogames together to this day.

I bought a KFC sandwich to try D4 and decided I would not be purchasing it.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

D3 is too shallow. Path of Exile doesn't value your time. D4 lol you're giving Blizzard money what the gently caress is wrong with you? I just want to zoom and kill monsters with the neat build I made which is apparently just too much of an ask.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 31, 2024

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I can't remember if the N64 version was brought up, but I read David L Craddock's Stay Awhile and Listen, and there were plans to make a Diablo game for GBA at one point.

This post has an amazing story about Capcom approaching Blizzard to make a GBA Diablo game.

Capcom managed to out-bastard Blizzard but in a way I completely respect

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

That loving Sned posted:

This post has an amazing story about Capcom approaching Blizzard to make a GBA Diablo game.

Capcom managed to out-bastard Blizzard but in a way I completely respect

Did you know Blizzard wanted to make a 40K game, They said no, that game became Warcraft

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Vakal posted:

It's free on gamepass now so not a big investment if you just want to run around and explode corpses with a necro.

The premium currency poo poo is embarrassing though.

The most honest defense of D4 was always "Run around and explode stuff, its fun with friends" and like yeah but there are so many better games to do that in including all the previous Diablos.

My favorite moment was me explaining damage buckets and my friends making fun of me thinking it was some wacky theory I came up with on my own. When they found out they all kinda stopped playing.

I think the only fun part of D4 was the D4 thread.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I don't like admitting this but I paid full price for diablo 4 including the £10 extra to play a weekend early.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What in the hell is a damage bucket

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I liked Diablo 4 but I also didn't feel the need to complain about a video game longer than I played it

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
d3 had a great skill system and it felt like they put so much effort into making each choice make a huge difference both visually and mechanically

poe and last epoch both take the opposite approach where making any one choice doesn't do much but then when they all come together you can build basically any crazy poo poo you want. The first time I tried PoE I made like, a poison arrow guy and I got bored. The second time I made a guy that spawns ballistas that shoot lightning whenever I use my move which also teleports me forward and I was like oh man this some cool poo poo.

D4 splits the difference and makes the individual skills boring while also making the actual builds boring as well

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I am of the opinion that all diablo games are boring as poo poo.

To be honest, all blizzard games are.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Blizzard used to be so good

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

D3 is too shallow. Path of Exile doesn't value your time. D4 lol you're giving Blizzard money what the gently caress is wrong with you? I just want to zoom and kill monsters with the neat build I made which is apparently just too much of an ask.

I'm not too good to enjoy arpgs but I am too good to give Blizzard money in 2024.

The battle pass rewards are amusing though, this is what you can earn by making playing Diablo 4 your second job:

LIterallyABikeshop
Nov 13, 2023
diablo is just cookie clicker for goths

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not too good to enjoy arpgs but I am too good to give Blizzard money in 2024.

The battle pass rewards are amusing though, this is what you can earn by making playing Diablo 4 your second job:

he beefy

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don't like admitting this but I paid full price for diablo 4 including the £10 extra to play a weekend early.

Diablo 3 I bought twice because my online ordered copy didn't show up in time. I gave the extra copy to a friend, 4 of us at work were really excited about it. We played way too much the first week or so and then started dropping off because it sucked so bad. The worst part was I didn't have a smartphone yet to download the blizz authenticator, but I had several legendaries worth enough money to get my money back on their auction house. By the time I was able to sell my crap, they got rid of the auction house lol. gently caress Diablo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

Lol looks like a really bland redesign of WC3 Peasant

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Even Blackthorne!?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

how can you slander The Lost Vikings like this???

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Well Path of Exile does value your time but wastes it. It's important the you spend as much doing boring things so that you form an attachment (unsaid) and/or so that you value the good times more!

edit: Okay the attachment thing I'm not so sure about if it was Blizzard? Yeah absolutely, I think GGG doesn't want to admit their definition of fun is super duper dumb and niche.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 31, 2024

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

What in the hell is a damage bucket

that thing from crystal chronicles that was designed as a way to get four players to stay on the same standard-def-sized screen, where if you went outside of the bucket range you took damage and died

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Warcraft 2 and 3 are fun to play. I can't call 3 good though because a) the version you can buy now sucks and b) it invented MOBAs so it's categorically chaotic evil.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Paid 80 quid for diablo 4, played it for maybe 3 days, am embarrassed to admit this even on an online forum and yet it was still twice as interesting as whatever dark, boring gob shite path of exile was going for

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Vampire Panties posted:

I tried going back to D2R, but the endless clicking reminded me of Guitar Hero without music.

Yeah I think I'm generally over that genre. It doesn't captivate me at all anymore.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Paid 80 quid for diablo 4, played it for maybe 3 days, am embarrassed to admit this even on an online forum and yet it was still twice as interesting as whatever dark, boring gob shite path of exile was going for

Imagine the amount of good games you could've bought for that.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

DontMockMySmock posted:

how can you slander The Lost Vikings like this???

TLV was made by silicon & synapse. it all went downhill after the rebrand.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
No game should have a "respec" option, or the ability to move skill points around.

It honestly makes the game boring to me, knowing there are no consequences to my upgrade choices.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I agree. It also makes the game boring to replay because I don't need to start from the beginning with a build in mind, I can just load up my game and respec into a build and I'm done, which oddly makes me not want to try other builds.

I don't mind respecs that are extremely limited though in case you gently caress up your character, but it should be very limited.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Blizzard peaked with og starcraft everything else was downhill from there

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
But what if the people who cannot abide by a perceived insignificant mistake? We got folks out here restarting games because they don't like the cheek shadows they picked out for character and you wanna make em start over because they picked up the useless Flower Sniffing perk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

fridge corn posted:

Blizzard peaked with og starcraft everything else was downhill from there

Isn't this thread for unpopular opinions rather than facts?