Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Saw it, and had a massive blast. It's very much like late era Showa, it's absolutely ridiculous and it rules.

It felt like it was sincere in being ridiculous. It knows exactly what it's doing, and is going to put a lot of effort into putting the silly stuff front and center while making it look as good as it can.

In terms of the story, I was surprised by how much it got me on board with raising the stakes. An extradimensional army of giant apes and their pet dinosaur might not be what I expected from this series originally, but at least it feels like things are actually happening. That alone makes this much better than Vs. for me, because after the apocalypse of KotM that film felt like a sidestory at best.

The trailers did a pretty poo poo job at selling the movie, though, because it's way more high effort than it comes across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh hey it's playing in the Dolby Cinema here in SF- I grabbed a ticket for next tuesday. If anything it ought to look and sound good.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

CapnAndy posted:

I realize they've already used the two best evil monsters they had with Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla, but they've got to get someone out of the back catalogue who's worth a drat for next time.

I've been thinking about who's left, and it's pretty much just Biollante imho.

And yes, I want the rose/dead girl hybrid origin. Don't be cowards now.

I mean, I guess Anguirus hasn't shown up yet (yes yes, corpse in wide shot in King of the Monsters), but he's not much of a threat and his role as Godzilla's buddy is pretty much taken by Kong now.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

wow how can we forget Gigan?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Destroyah seems like the obvious next step.

That or go orthogonal and use Cthulhu.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

wow how can we forget Gigan?

Monsterverse Gigan, Megalon, and Jet Jaguar :pray:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I thought scar king was cool enough as well the tiamat, the ice dragon dude and everything else. Lanky kong rear end final boss was cool in my book

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I thought scar king was cool enough as well the tiamat, the ice dragon dude and everything else. Lanky kong rear end final boss was cool in my book

Ice dragon lady. Shimo is officially female, and they call her such in the Iki infodump.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Saw it and didn’t like it at all, but not enough to hate it. The human characters do absolutely nothing beyond waking up Mothra, and then she’s largely pointless. I still hate the dumb loving qanon podcaster and hippie ace ventura.

Kong has some good characterization but calling this a Godzilla film at all is just pure marketing. I hated the dumb loving “I played Far Cry: Blood Dragon once and loved it” aesthetic, it’s the laziest loving tacked on 80s poo poo that makes no sense being in the same world established by G14. Never thought I’d watch a movie that made KOTM feel grounded, but here we are.

Adam Wingard please find another franchise, literally any franchise other than Godzilla. Please leave.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Also, now having the full context of the actual movie, this is maybe one of the dumbest possible things the director of Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire could say in an interview

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1774121082393444664?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

garycoleisgod posted:

This is a good idea. A plant critter is pretty different to all the other Monsterverse beasties, ties in with their idea that the titans exist to keep the balance of life on earth

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

CapnAndy posted:

I'm weirdly torn because I liked it, more than Godzilla vs. Kong actually, it went by at a fun clip without ever dragging and the human stuff was actually entertaining for a nice change of pace. But I'm still underwhelmed. I really thought Skar King was going to be a fakeout and he was concealing/would be brushed aside for some other, cooler monster in Act 3. But no, he's the big baddie and the last fight is exactly as anticlimactic as "can Kong beat up the guy he could already beat up and only lost to by trickery, now that he's powered up and has Godzilla helping and Mothra too" makes it sound like it'd be. "Dude who's not as cool as Kong" is not a threat, even though the movie seems to think "what if we gave him a pet who's not as cool as Godzilla and is also only helping against his will so you know he'll half-rear end it and turn on him the second he can" makes him one.

I realize they've already used the two best evil monsters they had with Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla, but they've got to get someone out of the back catalogue who's worth a drat for next time.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like both villains detracted from each other. "Evil Kong who was sealed away for millennia" and "ice dragon who literally caused the Ice Age" are both great pitches for a villain. But they didn't really hype up either of those concepts enough, and the fact that Skar King was keeping Shimo as a pet made them both seem less imposing.

I do like the theory that Ghidorah was encased in ice by Shimo

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I would really love to see Hedorah done with top-quality CGI. You could have a lot of fun with that. Not sure he'd have enough "marquee" value to carry a film though. (Nor does he really fit the whole Monsterverse approach so far.)

I think one conclusion Legendary/WB drew from GvK doing so much better than KOTM was that Kong is the big draw in the US. They may well be right.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Saw it and didn’t like it at all, but not enough to hate it. The human characters do absolutely nothing beyond waking up Mothra, and then she’s largely pointless. I still hate the dumb loving qanon podcaster and hippie ace ventura.

Kong has some good characterization but calling this a Godzilla film at all is just pure marketing. I hated the dumb loving “I played Far Cry: Blood Dragon once and loved it” aesthetic, it’s the laziest loving tacked on 80s poo poo that makes no sense being in the same world established by G14. Never thought I’d watch a movie that made KOTM feel grounded, but here we are.

Adam Wingard please find another franchise, literally any franchise other than Godzilla. Please leave.

He’s not Q and Adam should stay

Q is all about trump. BTH is all about crypids

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

garycoleisgod posted:

Maxwell Lord posted:

I would really love to see Hedorah done with top-quality CGI. You could have a lot of fun with that. Not sure he'd have enough "marquee" value to carry a film though. (Nor does he really fit the whole Monsterverse approach so far.)

Biollante/Hedorah double threat. Their original versions wouldn't really gel together but they're both "elemental"-style kaiju more than creature-based so there must be some way to finagle them into a single movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Biollante/Hedorah double threat. Their original versions wouldn't really gel together but they're both "elemental"-style kaiju more than creature-based so there must be some way to finagle them into a single movie

Heh, nature run amok and the avatar of pollution at the same time? Also suddenly reminded of Hamidon.

I did get a loose idea for a Monsterverse-style Hedorah, maybe like those volcanic slugs, a creature evolved/mutated to feed on volcanic ash that's acquired a taste for pollutants.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sailor Viy posted:

The more I think about it, the more I feel like both villains detracted from each other. "Evil Kong who was sealed away for millennia" and "ice dragon who literally caused the Ice Age" are both great pitches for a villain. But they didn't really hype up either of those concepts enough, and the fact that Skar King was keeping Shimo as a pet made them both seem less imposing.

I do like the theory that Ghidorah was encased in ice by Shimo

That said, I think that Shimo could only operate alongside another villain due to her presumable franchise role from now onwards as Kong's new best buddy. Someone had to force her to be evil, and the King at least makes for an interesting contrast to Apex Cybernetics.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Heh, nature run amok and the avatar of pollution at the same time? Also suddenly reminded of Hamidon.

I did get a loose idea for a Monsterverse-style Hedorah, maybe like those volcanic slugs, a creature evolved/mutated to feed on volcanic ash that's acquired a taste for pollutants.

I guess if Hedorah came about then the Earth might generate Biollante to fight it and both of them would be pissed at humanity for different reasons, and since Godzilla is the guardian of nature and Kongs are the protectors of humanity they'd get stuck in the middle

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

I guess if Hedorah came about then the Earth might generate Biollante to fight it and both of them would be pissed at humanity for different reasons, and since Godzilla is the guardian of nature and Kongs are the protectors of humanity they'd get stuck in the middle

I think Hedorah would be really cool if you started the story on a way smaller scale. Make it like this creeping doom like Carpenter's The Fog or The Blob, keep the story centered around a big city in its path and have it be unclear if this even qualifies as a kaiju-level threat, or if it falls be under Monarch's jurisdiction. Experts try to warn us, they get ignored, and in the end we see that we vastly underestimated the danger and overestimated our ability to handle our climate gently caress up.

Then have Godzilla be the solution, building on the theme of KotM that the end of the world is much more avoidable than the end of capitalism as long as we can accept that humanity is not the center of its ecosystem.

And more wrestling moves, because I want to see a flying elbow...

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

This is kind of serving Mothra-Battra movie vibes, except with more apocalyptic stakes and less chance of diplomatic resolution. I kinda dig it, honestly. You could even have your contractually-obligated Godzilla-Kong dustup when they're split on who to go after (before deciding both).

A Worrying Warlock posted:

I think Hedorah would be really cool if you started the story on a way smaller scale. Make it like this creeping doom like Carpenter's The Fog or The Blob, keep the story centered around a big city in its path and have it be unclear if this even qualifies as a kaiju-level threat, or if it falls be under Monarch's jurisdiction. Experts try to warn us, they get ignored, and in the end we see that we vastly underestimated the danger and overestimated our ability to handle our climate gently caress up.

Then have Godzilla be the solution, building on the theme of KotM that the end of the world is much more avoidable than the end of capitalism as long as we can accept that humanity is not the center of its ecosystem.

And more wrestling moves, because I want to see a flying elbow...

I know the MCU's Disney+ took the concept of movie and show tie-ins and burned us the gently caress out on them, but this'd be a fun way to handle a Monarch season. Make it about a smaller threat that turns out to be Hedorah's creeping doom or the Destoroyah hive or something like that. That way you can give that concept the length and smaller scale it deserves and have things get explosive for the film.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Don't count on Wingard getting shown the door. So far, GxK is beating box office expectations by a comfortable margin. Only 2014 opened bigger.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Bee posted:

This is kind of serving Mothra-Battra movie vibes, except with more apocalyptic stakes and less chance of diplomatic resolution. I kinda dig it, honestly. You could even have your contractually-obligated Godzilla-Kong dustup when they're split on who to go after (before deciding both).

I know the MCU's Disney+ took the concept of movie and show tie-ins and burned us the gently caress out on them, but this'd be a fun way to handle a Monarch season. Make it about a smaller threat that turns out to be Hedorah's creeping doom or the Destoroyah hive or something like that. That way you can give that concept the length and smaller scale it deserves and have things get explosive for the film.

Also sounds like it could lend itself to a Smash Ultimate esque three-way chaotic smackdown finale, where both antagonists can't tolerate each other's existence and won't pass up an opportunity to take a shot at each other as well.

Kinda funny talking about a Monarch TV show because that just makes me think Godzilla: The Series. Have they made any references to that?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Just to add more detail to what I posted a bit ago:

quote:

Warner Bros. and Legendary’s Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire opened to a monstrous $80 million at the domestic box office, well ahead of an expected $45 million to $55 million. The tentpole scored the second-best opening in the MonsterVerse Universe, no small feat for a fifth film in a franchise. It also delivered the fifth biggest Easter opening of all time, according to Sunday estimates.

Globally, the film now has a chance of crossing the $175 million mark in its launch (it’s even doing well in China, where Legendary East is handling the movie).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/godzilla-x-kong-new-empire-huge-box-office-opening-1235863501/

It crushed the new Ghostbusters movie, which was only in its second week. And Dune 2 is over $600 million now. So it looks like we're getting more Wingardzilla and Dune Messiah sometime in the future.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
I saw this yesterday with my 10 year old. He really liked it, but for me I was pretty meh about it. The fight scenes, especially with Godzilla, felt... lackluster. Kong had some decent moments, but G really felt shoehorned into the story.

I'm fine with more Legendary Godzilla and Kong movies, but I definitely think they need a few of their own individual entries before doing another team up film.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Saw GxK last night with my son - when Shimo was freezing Rio, the kid said he wanted to see Christ the Redeemer come to life and start fighting alongside Kong and Godzilla.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
That'd be a fresh new take on Daimajin :eyepop:

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

On the ride home he said he changed his mind - the statue of Christ should have been an ancient-tech version of Jet Jaguar that people just dressed up to look like Jesus.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Splint Chesthair posted:

On the ride home he said he changed his mind - the statue of Christ should have been an ancient-tech version of Jet Jaguar that people just dressed up to look like Jesus.

Your son is a genius.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

HannibalBarca posted:

Godzilla has pretty big "angry, territorial housecat" vibes for most of this movie, which is kinda fun if you're into that sort of thing I guess.

https://x.com/jdooo_x3/status/1773092806883463526?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Rhonne posted:

Your son is a genius.

He's already got better ideas than a lot of current Hollywood screenwriters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay I had to go look it up and the Christ The Redeemer statue is only 98 feet tall, which is even shorter than the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man (112.5 feet) and Kong back in Skull Island (104 feet). Suko is 50% taller than the statue (~149 feet)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Splint Chesthair posted:

this would actually be a pretty funny response to rio getting attacked in kotm

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Okay I had to go look it up and the Christ The Redeemer statue is only 98 feet tall, which is even shorter than the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man (112.5 feet) and Kong back in Skull Island (104 feet). Suko is 50% taller than the statue (~149 feet)

Suko wielding Christ the Redeemer by the head like Cloud's Buster Sword.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Just got back from watching it with the whole family. My thoughts summed up in one image:

(So uh, will the gang ever get around to mourning Mikael? seemed like they just forgot about his gruesome death)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Just to add more detail to what I posted a bit ago:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/godzilla-x-kong-new-empire-huge-box-office-opening-1235863501/

It crushed the new Ghostbusters movie, which was only in its second week. And Dune 2 is over $600 million now. So it looks like we're getting more Wingardzilla and Dune Messiah sometime in the future.

It also had the second best opening of the Monsterverse franchise, only being beaten by Godzilla 2014. It's doing much better than KOTM and GvK

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/MonsterVerse#tab=summary&franchise_movies_overview=od3

The people cry out for monke

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Splint Chesthair posted:

then slightly later - by god, it's the statue of liberty with a steel chair!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ChickenHeart posted:

Just got back from watching it with the whole family. My thoughts summed up in one image:

(So uh, will the gang ever get around to mourning Mikael? seemed like they just forgot about his gruesome death)

I’m so happy that dude keeps getting work after Chernobyl. He plays the best gruff rear end in a top hat.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

The people cry out for monke

Somewhere a simian paw curls as someone at Disney crosses out the all the slated Star Warses and Marvels and pens in Planet of the Apes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Also, now having the full context of the actual movie, this is maybe one of the dumbest possible things the director of Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire could say in an interview

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1774121082393444664?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q

Adam Windgard looks like he’s cosplaying Alan Moore.