Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

There's been too much talk about builds and not enough about aesthetics lately, so I've decided that it's time for a

The Rules:
  • Points will be awarded for the strength of your outfit, the power of your beard, and the style of your gear.
  • You can earn bonus points for your dwarf by writing about their character or telling us about their equipment.
  • You can enter as many times you want, but only one entry per poster will be counted. Which entry gets picked will be the one I think is the strongest of your entries!
  • I will choose the top ten entries on April 7th, so get your lookbook together!

Winners will be given their choice of prize:

Got an outfit in mind but not sure how to present it? Here are some examples!

Example Post posted:

Dustin "Dusty" Foven can charitably be described as 'grim', though it would be more realistic to simply call him 'miserable'. It's rumored that he was transformed into the humorless misanthrope he is today by surviving in the darkest depths of Hoxxes for a week after a malfunctioning Escape Pod departed without ever opening its doors, but Dusty's instant dislike of anyone who tries to interact with him makes the truth hard to come by.

Whatever the case, what IS known is thus: he has been with the company longer than anyone can remember, he exclusively runs solo operations, and his nickname is a very literal one.

Example Weapon Post posted:

This rifle was presented to Dusty with great ceremony when he was inducted into the hallowed ranks of the Scale Brigade, but decades of hard use have long since scoured it of its shine. Despite its ragged appearance, it has been maintained rigorously and tuned to perfection.

Another Example Weapon Post, but with a different style of picture posted:

Dusty's shotgun resembles a homemade scattergun built from random scrap, and that's because it is. Loaded with dangerously overpowered ammunition, he ducks the associated maintenance costs by simply making a new one when the old one falls apart.

Example Pickaxe posted:

Even though the chipped finish and taped handle make this pickaxe look like a worn hand-me-down, it's easily the most valuable thing Dusty owns. Many fortunes were spent in every step of its creation; from the forging of its artisanal alloys, to the synthesization of its metamaterial components, to the delicate crafting of its maximally efficient design. It's a modern artifact that can carve through any material with ease - and it even comes with a handy carabiner clip on the pommel!

Let's see them dwarves!

Kith fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Dwarf fashion! DWARF FASHION

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Oooh, fun.

Here's my entry for best-dressed. I prefer muted street-level or "realistic" looks for my uh, fantastic sci-fi dwarf in space video game. Something that looks rugged yet classy, as much walking tank as he is well-groomed. And of course my Driller has to be a mole man.

Bob "Moleman" Johnson has been with the company for decades and aims for the highest of honors: retirement. Equal parts heavily armored, studiously prepared and inebriated to the point of desensitization he's a reliable bulwark on any team, ready to annihilate the bugs and gather the rocks and stones. He aims to get the job done with no interruption save for gunfire and the occasional salute, taking as long as needed to prepare pristine tunnels and pipelines. This makes him a classically quiet dwarf, a longtime lump in the bar who nurses his beers slow and steady-like, a good old grouch to stand behind when things get hot, steady like the noble boulder. Though his choice of chemical warfare changes regularly his sidearms remain consistent and so does his philosophy: why should he fear the glyphids when they could fear him?

Weaponry that ought to break every rule in the handbook is overlooked when it comes to Hoxxes. Bugs don't send representatives to protest war crimes, after all. After a failed battle with a vend-o-rama heating station Bob wrenched his hard won breakfast burrito out of the wreckage and ended up the proud owner of what machinery remained after the docking of his pay. Figuring there's no crying over spilled beer, especially in front of anyone else, Bob hammered what he could through the forge spooler with one of the new-fangled R&D test schematics. Sure, his worked different, but he had the bug kill counts and the burns on his finger to prove that it was just as effective!

A common misconception is that Drillers think the least of their pickaxes. What usually happens is the opposite, each rockhead treasuring his like a beloved pet, customizing and training with it to the point of obsession. Those who've worn the heavy arms and seen them jam when it counts find some of the most appreciation for the no-frills, no-fuel classics. Bob's Lil' Ripper Jr is as much of a homemade assault on decency as most of his arsenal, a brutal cleaver that revitalizes on a good impact. It takes a lot of effort to clean after a drop but Bob knows what they say: take care of your tools and they'll take care of you. The skull, of course, makes it look really snazzy.

---

My Engineer costume has been "literally Dr Robotnik" since day 1. Usually MK1 or MK2 suit to show the most big red belly but I like that the MK6 makes me look more egg-shaped!

Not much to my Gunner drip other than to look like a working man.

Used the first blue cyclops Scout design for the longest time, trying out the Mr Clean because I finally felt I had something going on with the Brass Swirls armor coloring.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 30, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

If anyone happened to be wondering, the example of Ol' Dusty is based on this story:

Doomykins posted:

I actually met the worst player I've ever seen a few days ago. Pugging Haz 5s everyone is very chill, there's the aura of the greybeard who knows the game inside and out and loves shooting bugs, just wants you to be promoted, stay up in most fights, put your r in chat and they know you'll rez them when a silent exploder gets them too.

So I enter a mining run and there's a 2250. Guy speed runs the four man mission in dead silence, activates everything he finds immediately, scans and solos a helmet, dropkicks Moll-e's drop pod button while striding past the cargo crate batteries we're investigating and bolts to the pod by himself.

The rest of us could fight our way out. I've got that nice internal map sense and gordian knotted my way through the non-Moll-e path to circle to the pod while hitting the post helmet loot, the other two separated at some point and went full Driller back to the pod. Really justified my using LURE over shredders that day. I met them at the front of their tunnel as Mr 2250 sat in the pod, I wish I'd notice them do it sooner.

But drat dude, if you've become an addict/robot who exists to play DRG every day why not use Solo? Real unpleasant aura.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Deepest lore. :3:

Thinking about DRG fanon reminded me that of all the dystopias to live in, the DRG station and abyss bar looks like such a comfy lil hellhole between suicide missions.

half a kumquat
Mar 14, 2018

Are we supposed to only post one dwarf for the contest or should we post our whole roster?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

half a kumquat posted:

Are we supposed to only post one dwarf for the contest or should we post our whole roster?

You can post as many dwarves as you like, but I'll only be counting whichever one of yours I consider to be the best:

Kith posted:

• You can enter as many times you want, but only one entry per poster will be counted. Which entry gets picked will be the one I think is the strongest of your entries!

So if you want to have the best chance at reaching the top ten, post 'em all!

Molrok
May 30, 2011

If you're blue, annoying and go fast: I'm coming for your sorry rear end

Sludge is the best, yum!

Into fortifications, dad issues.

Oily Oaf Sunset

Molrok fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 31, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I have *got* to start playing this game.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

HopperUK posted:

I have *got* to start playing this game.

The best time to start is always now. DRG has one of the best content pipelines I've ever seen - everything added in a season goes into an adjacent loot pool when the season ends, so there's zero FOMO outside of the holiday events (which always offer all of the previous years' cosmetics as well as the current years'). Plus, they've made getting through the progression system better over the years as well - promotion gives cores now!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I have no lore

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
He likes minions and keeping clean.

Doesn't mind getting his hands dirty.

Don't ask him about his miniatures.

That gun used to be a pickup truck.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 30, 2024

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
All my dwarves look bad, but I'm glad this is happening

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
All of my Dwarves have unique design schemes I like to use, but right now all of them are kitted out in hazmat gear until the Rockpox crisis is over.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Nice. I'm coming back to this once I get near my home computer. I won't win, but it seems fun as hell

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I don't have any backstories, just general themes

"Desert scrap mechanic"

"Grumpy blizzard deity"

"Sky pirate captain"

However I'm using a mod that lets me apply weapon paintjobs that I shouldn't be allowed to, so I should be DISQUALIFIED

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Horsebanger posted:

All my dwarves look bad, but I'm glad this is happening

prove it, coward

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I'll have to get my old imgur account info (or make a new one or something) and then get my screenshots off of my PS4, but I'll hopefully get around to postin'.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Here's my current dorfs

My driller. Kind of a Mad Max-esque sorta vibe.

Ooh YEAH, brother!

My gunner was an attempt to pull off a modest Bane

And finally, my scout. Really, the glitziest one of the bunch, and the most coordinated. Sort of a cockney-gone-pimp-in-the-wasteland kinda vibe.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

that scouts just a borderlands npc

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Beasteh posted:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Beasteh posted:

your mom's a borderlands npc

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Coming to you straight from Deep Rock High

The Gardener
You keep away from the roses or so help me!

The Janitor
It's lemon scented!

The Coach

The Chef

Griddle of Love fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 31, 2024

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Hwurmp posted:

your mom's a borderlands npc

that would make my mom moxxie or something which is, quite frankly, epic.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Beasteh posted:

that would make my mom moxxie or something which is, quite frankly, epic.

Or Ellie. Probably closer to Ellie.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I'm not creative enough to come up with cool lore or whatever the gently caress so here's my dwarfs:

The Gunner who may or may not be a pointy-eared leaf lover under all that hair and armor

The grizzled sniper Scout who is too old for this poo poo

Fire 'n' Ice Drillers

And my personal favorite, my Engineer who is just A Dude

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

And my personal favorite, my Engineer who is just A Dude

an engineer who golfs every weekend

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Level 1 Wizard (Plasma BursterMagic Missile, don'cha know)

"why am i the one who has to watch the kids at the pool, this is bullshit. 'least i got a sweet squirt gun"

Deep Rock Chemical Disposal Services - mining barge detox and pest disposal for hire in one efficient package!

"who the gently caress is scraeming 'TAKE OFF FAT BOY' at my sleeping pod. show yourself, coward. i will never stop the warcrimes"

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 1, 2024

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Some engineer fashion:

Holiday Dwarf
Dreams of the day he has saved up enough credits for another vacation on a tropical resort planet. Returns each time with more kick-knacks and souvenirs to stuff his pod with, and wears his tourist-quality shirts with pride.
Preferred Weapons: Enjoys the spectacular lights the shard diffractor makes out of glyphids. Pickaxe equipped with a high power 'vibroblade' to slice through rock and back end arc welder function for spot repairs on his sentry armor.

Old Mate
Moved on from his old factory job when he heard the pay was better on the mining rigs. Always stops for a good old oily oaf and grumble about management with the lads after a delve. Equipment seems eternally stained by the dust and detritus from down in the mines.
Preferred Weapon: Modified his Warthog for maximum rate of fire to splatter the glyphids with maximum efficiency. Doesn't trust any new-fangled plasma or laser tech, and prefers good old fashioned bullets and explosives. His solution to any tech that isn't quite functioning right? Hit it with a wrench!

Rimewhiskers
Favourite place to mine? Glacial strata. An old dwarf who never seems bothered by freezing temperatures, and wishes Hoxxes had some ice lakes for a quick dip.
Preferred Weapon: Stubby SMG with light weight extra stacked custom magazines, perfect for turning the glyphids into swiss cheese. Pickaxe features a detachable head with cable and motor to allow it to be used to quickly descend up and down the frozen chasms.

Freebooter
Claims to just be an opportunistic business dwarf, but you can always count on him for a scheme or to move some contraband. Loves to gamble, and always has a tall tale about some escapade or treasure he's uncovered.
Preferred Weapon: Custom engraved gold-plated Smartgun, which he claims was given to him as a gift when he saved a rich corpo-dwarf from a gang of thugs. Never leaves the base without his lucky pickaxe, which seems oddly drab compared to his usually eye-catching attire.

Diver
Signed up when he heard about the humongous coral formations in the dense biozone, but was disappointed to find there wasn't any water. Still goes to every mission with a backup air supply, just in case. Determined to find a deep-underground ocean out there somewhere!
Preferred Weapon: Modified Air-Cannon Sticky Explosive Launcher, which he claims he brought to fend of the horrors from the deep that were sure to live on this planet. Pickaxe doubles as an underwater light source and includes a back-shovel for examining deposits of sediment on the cavern floor.

Greenskin Tech
Pockets any kinds of scrap or parts he finds discarded down on Hoxxes for tinkering later. Shows up to each mission with a new, '100% reliable' custom modified weapon.
Preferred Weapon: Loaded his SMG with as much juice and wires as possible, sparking with lights and makes your hair stand on end if you're nearby when it fires. Other dwarfs are assured the sentry guns are supposed to crackle and electrify all the bugs in the area. Pickaxe makes a strange, high-pitch whirring sound in action, but his attempts to work on its internal mechanisms haven't made any progress yet.

Some driller fashion:

Experimenter
Wears his thick, corrective goggles even when he isn't on a mission. Loves to collect small samples of the fauna he encounters on Hoxxes, and has a thick notebook with all his observations on the local wildlife.
Preferred Weapon: Optimized his fuel recipe for maximum power, and enjoys observing the way the glyphids respond to fiery stimulus. Always ready to use the heavy hammer end of his pickaxe to crack open an ebonut shell.

Hazard Tech
Called upon to take care of any dirty jobs. Particularly hates rockpox, and responds to any missions to wipe it out with gusto. Claims to treat his equipment with a special bug repellent, but it only seems to work on lootbugs (and violently).
Preferred Weapon: High-efficiency wide-nozzle dispering Sludge Blaster always readied to hose down any glyphid threats with purifying acidic globs. Always checking his enviro-scan pickaxe to take scans of air quality.

Greenskin Miner
Enjoys turning winding caverns into flattened, clear spaces and quick, efficient tunnels. Seems to take the complex layouts on Hoxxes as a personal challenge. Claims his helmet has sentimental value, but will never elaborate as to whose skull it is.
Preferred Weapon: Loves blasting glyphids with his ever reliable pistol with his special powder recipe while he chops glyphid limbs with his hefty axe-ended pick.

Safety Officer
Makes sure to carefully read the manual of each piece of equipment before he even touches it. Always telling his workmates to keep careful on high ledges, and uses his augmented AR display to ensure everyone's armor and weapons are functioning within safe and expected levels, much to his workmates chagrin. His pod is covered in posters with helpful, corporate approved posters with friendly safety slogans.
Preferred Weapon: Perhaps surprising some, enjoys the wave-cooker, mostly for its extremely thick and heavy operations manual, large enough to be used to bludgeon a glyphid. Prefers a simple, double-ended pickaxe with no bells or whistles, which he considers might be a light safety hazard when choked with cavern dirt.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 1, 2024

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

I was going for a bit of a "Darth Vader at the end of RotJ" look here.

CYBER_NEON_FUTURE_DWARF.EXE

The moustache is expendable, but the beard must live on.

There are those who consider bathing in a dreadnought's guts a spa day.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I had a good sesh on the weekend

Karl would be proud and Legendary Miner

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Apr 1, 2024

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Beasteh posted:

I had a good sesh on the weekend

Karl would be proud and Legendary Miner

Oooh, how'd you get Karl?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Latejoined a mission that fulfilled the criteria

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Edit: Inspiration struck on the last one, revising it to this:

Feedbacker fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 3, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

it makes me so happy to see so many hawaiian print headwraps

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Very Saxton Hale feeling from this one. Too bad he''s gotta have a shirt on. Actually, that's probably the company demanding it for legal reasons to allow him into the caves. Gotta CYA against Space OSHA, after all.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Most of my dwarves are pretty basic.

My best is probably my Gunner:

All black, cover everything. Why? Because in the darkness of a cave, there's only one thing you need to see:

The gun.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Grab 10 fossils, clear 2 lithophages, get 3 mini-mules repaired, head back to the pod to do two hold outs after eating poo poo in your usual double xp spawn waves hell.

:shepface: Game steals 21 minutes of effort from me when I inexplicably instantly go from full red HP to downed by pulling myself up a platform and presumably telefragging myself into terrain. Go down with two swarmers adjacent to me. I run thorns so I don't think they were gonna pull it off. Cool, thanks, go to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I feel like this is a lesson about soloing