Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

piratepilates posted:

just the ugliest people with the worst personalities in a grimy rear end city.

try watching movies with your monitor on, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

piratepilates posted:

I watched that thief (1981) movie last night, michael mann's first. it was alright, was expecting a lot more thiefing, but at least a solid half of it is just james caan being an rear end in a top hat and chicago being depressing.

really cannot overstate how depressing and glum late 70s chicago comes across in that movie, just the ugliest people with the worst personalities in a grimy rear end city.

Cinema verite

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Vim Fuego posted:

The cars in that movie are such amazing malaise era dogshit

lol yeah they're like the size of a tennis court with massively underpowered engines. The only benefit for them was getting into a low speed crash in them no one would care.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

sure okay posted:

try watching movies with your monitor on, friend

:qq:

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
hopefully we can talk about good war movies like mars attacks and independence day soon..

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Pac and Cheese posted:

hopefully we can talk about good war movies like mars attacks and independence day soon..

I only saw the middle of mars attack on the tv while channel surfing one day and because I was a little baby I completely misunderstood the context of it as a comedy and when the reporter lady gets her head cut off and permanently attached to the chihuahua I turned it off immediately and was scarred for several years after until I finally saw the rest of the movie and was able to contextualize what the gently caress I had just seen.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
my total exposure to independent day is just the big destruction scene because theyd play it on the tvs at my local blockbuster. until i got a little older, this was also my only experience with aliens (power loader scene) and i think one of the critters movies

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

i lived in chicago for 12 years and it currently is full of sexy people (now that im gone) and the city looks great. nothing like the 70s-90s which was a pretty rough time from what ive seen. but on the other hand, what makes 70s/80s movies that take place in nyc and chicago so great is that everything looks bombed out and/or nasty as gently caress.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Hackers film 1995 posted:

i lived in chicago for 12 years and it currently is full of sexy people (now that im gone) and the city looks great. nothing like the 70s-90s which was a pretty rough time from what ive seen. but on the other hand, what makes 70s/80s movies that take place in nyc and chicago so great is that everything looks bombed out and/or nasty as gently caress.

this is just the first line from windy city heat

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am certain I watched the Thief (the movie not the game) recent-ish, can't remember anything except it happens at night. Maybe I just dreamed it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
BTW NY subway still look nasty as gently caress, they just don't make movie that show it.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
american cities used to be 50% parking lots and piles of rubble

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
America just being nothing but post apocalypse cityscapes was a boon for low budget American post apocalypse action movies.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

stephenthinkpad posted:

BTW NY subway still look nasty as gently caress, they just don't make movie that show it.

NY subway platforms in the summer was one of the most miserable experiences I’ve had in my life. How is it so fuckin hot underground?!?!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

piratepilates posted:

I watched that thief (1981) movie last night, michael mann's first. it was alright, was expecting a lot more thiefing, but at least a solid half of it is just james caan being an rear end in a top hat and chicago being depressing.

I'm not sure if this was your intention, but you're really selling me on it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

priznat posted:

NY subway platforms in the summer was one of the most miserable experiences I’ve had in my life. How is it so fuckin hot underground?!?!

When I get off work, I literally jog 2 miles to skip the most miserable part of the subway transfer (14th street/union). If you are actually running, there is minimal time difference because NY subway still runs on 1920 speed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Matrix turns 25 years old today. It's one of my all-time favorites, never to be dethroned.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Except by the sequels you mean

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Outpost22 posted:

Except by the sequels you mean
lol

At least Reloaded had that sick highway chase sequence. There's nothing worth watching in Revolutions and Resurrections.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Rageaholic posted:

The Matrix turns 25 years old today.

Posting this is a hate crime.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What city has the sexiest people/backdrop in 2024? I feel like NYC is always in the running and LA has gotten worse and worse

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
naturally attractive people move to CA

wealthily attractive people move to NYC

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

poisonpill posted:

What city has the sexiest people/backdrop in 2024? I feel like NYC is always in the running and LA has gotten worse and worse

Vancouver because it always plays stand-in for other cities.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

ProperCauldron posted:

naturally attractive people move to CA

wealthily attractive people move to NYC

This seems like the perfect descriptor

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
What aboutAtlanta Georgia?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

priznat posted:

The A/C units on the subway cars exhaust their hot air into the tunnels and stations.

Gutcruncher posted:

America just being nothing but post apocalypse cityscapes was a boon for low budget American post apocalypse action movies.

https://vimeo.com/238073511#t=11m4s

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

There's gonna be heaps of amazing post apocalyptic movies after Trump's second term

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Looking forward to live in Elysium below-city, try not to be a renter if you can cause you can't afford the future rent.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

speaking of the grimed up 70s, im watching the guv’nor documentary on netflix about lenny mclean. maybe its because im not british but i find this poo poo so fascinating. a fuckin worked neanderthal who is 25 but looks 45 is just an insane badass and is too mean/stupid to get hurt. dude is just training in a junkyard and wailin on previously unbeatable guys. he is a huge rear end in a top hat but the brits kind of love him. i also cant understand what anyone is saying because this is just so bri’ish. im lovin it. he was in lock stock and two smoking barrels too but i havent seen that movie in 20 years so i cant remember.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

reignofevil posted:

I only saw the middle of mars attack on the tv while channel surfing one day and because I was a little baby I completely misunderstood the context of it as a comedy and when the reporter lady gets her head cut off and permanently attached to the chihuahua I turned it off immediately and was scarred for several years after until I finally saw the rest of the movie and was able to contextualize what the gently caress I had just seen.

The trailer scared the gently caress out of me as a kid. Don't like skull faced aliens barking in my face. Tim Burton was really working the creepy 50s horror vibes and the aliens just kill everyone which didn't make them less scary.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
lets watch Moonwalker

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Rageaholic posted:

lol

At least Reloaded had that sick highway chase sequence. There's nothing worth watching in Revolutions and Resurrections.

:hmmyes:

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
brand new smiling friends! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGoLnyMHnD4

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lol they got a screaming mike face in there

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

aw yea

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Man Poltergeist is a straight up dog poo poo movie.
This is The Room level trash.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mike and rich talking about andor is the first good rlm content this year. thank you rlm

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

Kingo Ligma posted:

Man Poltergeist is a straight up dog poo poo movie.
This is The Room level trash.

good theme song though

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Did Mike actually voice a character in that, or was it just the quick shot of him screaming?

Also that sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
tough crowd