Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

My guesses would be:

* Very few people want to spend over $600K for a gimmick.
* With a loft and partially finished basement, it's technically 3000 sqft, but much of it isn’t that useful.

IIRC, I'd say 3/4 of it were perfectly usable, and the basement was a perfectly solid MIL-style extra apartment.

But the loft and the... uh, loft-atop-loft thing:

were an optimistic use of space. Plus the stairs to the loft2:

have railings, which is great and necessary but they're not going to do squat to keep you safe if you slip just the wrong way -- there's not a whole lot stopping you from taking a header straight down to the middle of the living room:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I have zero recollection of ever seeing this house, a photo of this house, or this particular photo of this house in my life with my own eyes.

But I’ve dreamt of this house before, and they’ve all been strange & intense dreams.

Am I going mad, chat?

Where is this house from, please?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

madmatt112 posted:

I have zero recollection of ever seeing this house, a photo of this house, or this particular photo of this house in my life with my own eyes.

But I’ve dreamt of this house before, and they’ve all been strange & intense dreams.

Am I going mad, chat?

It's from the movie Beetlejuice

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Trabant posted:

I can't even name a theme to this:

When you wanted a geodesic dome but couldn't afford it.

We have geodesic dome at home.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trabant posted:

have railings, which is great and necessary but they're not going to do squat to keep you safe if you slip just the wrong way -- there's not a whole lot stopping you from taking a header straight down to the middle of the living room:

You're looking at it wrong; It's more like a ladder, not a set of stairs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Soul Dentist posted:

Little Tykes Super Villain Lair

I'd be down for that. Kid-sized evil slouching throne, control panel with lots of big buttons and dials and switches, a mini piranha tank...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

* With a loft and partially finished basement, it's technically 3000 sqft, but much of it isn’t that useful.

Even a lot of the finished spaces aren't really usable, like this little 'office nook':

You'd bonk your head on the wall every time you stood up from that desk, you can't attach shelves to the wall unless they were all custom made to fit the contours, any low furniture such as filing cabinets couldn't be pushed flush with the wall, you can't hang a wall planner or a calendar, you can't add curtains if there's any glare on your laptop screen, etc etc

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Even a lot of the finished spaces aren't really usable, like this little 'office nook':

You'd bonk your head on the wall every time you stood up from that desk, you can't attach shelves to the wall unless they were all custom made to fit the contours, any low furniture such as filing cabinets couldn't be pushed flush with the wall, you can't hang a wall planner or a calendar, you can't add curtains if there's any glare on your laptop screen, etc etc

Sure it's usable. Just not on picture day. The rest of the time it is pushed up against the wall next to the door and works fine.

As for windows, that's where the other dome house has them beat:

Is that frosted glass? Or some kind of plastic that has turned milky over the decades? Either way, glare is not a problem.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

It's like they bought the arcade cabinet, then built the house around it color scheme wise.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Does this count?

https://www.har.com/homedetail/3701-uraguay-dr-pasadena-tx-77504/11133897

Built in 1975 and boy has it not changed much.

Fairly normal exterior, if not a bit weird.

Oh fun, a carpeted spiral staircase. Gonna assume all the carpet in this place is original just based on the color. I especially like the piano placement.

A pool, everyone likes having a pool.

But what if your bathroom had....

This?

But what if that wasn't enough for you, perhaps you need a full on hot tub. Inside the house. With its own fluorescent light fixture right above you and security camera in the corner!

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

But what if that wasn't enough for you, perhaps you need a full on hot tub. Inside the house. With its own fluorescent light fixture right above you and security camera in the corner!

Those are spot lights, not security cameras

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

St_Ides posted:

It's hidden in the vent. :ssh:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

Hot tub? What hot tub?

Are you referring to the energy garden and its healing pool?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mmmmm delicious asbestos filled popcorn ceiling.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

Are you referring to the energy garden and its healing pool?
ah, a perfect place to demand production of spice be stabilized

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
He who controls the spice (cocaine) controls the universe (Pasadena)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sir Tonk posted:

I think that those are can lights, not security cameras.

The whole lighting situation with the fluorescent tubes is totally deranged. They probably have magnetic ballasts, too.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

St_Ides posted:

drat you're right, they look just like those little dome cameras in that photo

that just makes the fluorescent fixture even more ridiculous

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

madmatt112 posted:

Am I going mad, chat?

The bit sticking out to the left reminds me of the end of Kentucky Route Zero.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Sir Tonk posted:

drat you're right, they look just like those little dome cameras in that photo

that just makes the fluorescent fixture even more ridiculous

I mean the house looks otherwise not maintained if not outright abandoned, I don't know why they'd install some kind of Amazon security camera if they can't even be bothered to clean the copious mirrors

Edit: looking at the pictures further it's in a really weird state of like... Sort-of lived in? Like whoever owns it just keeps some poo poo in there and maybe stops by sometimes but doesn't live or stay there? It's very weird that so many houses seem to be in this state of "not completely abandoned but nobody lives in or maintains it"

Heath has a new favorite as of 14:35 on Apr 1, 2024

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Heath posted:

I mean the house looks otherwise not maintained if not outright abandoned, I don't know why they'd install some kind of Amazon security camera if they can't even be bothered to clean the copious mirrors

Edit: looking at the pictures further it's in a really weird state of like... Sort-of lived in? Like whoever owns it just keeps some poo poo in there and maybe stops by sometimes but doesn't live or stay there? It's very weird that so many houses seem to be in this state of "not completely abandoned but nobody lives in or maintains it"

My top guess would be that someone elderly had been living there for a long time. They could keep the plants watered and the main rooms livable, but they weren't up to doing anything major and things have been slowly deteriorating. So you have things like brickwork that needs a powerwash and a pool that was long ago abandoned to its fate.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah, it seems like actually a pretty cool house aside from the obviously wretched bathroom carpet and indoor hot tub. If the place isn't absolutely wracked with mold throughout substantial portions.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Heath posted:

Apparently people were living there the past year, looks like they were evicted and left their stuff there.

I like the house, but yeah it's definitely full of mold and has a ton of other problems under whatever is covering the walls and floors.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Another "not necessarily my style but it's still freaking amazing and I love it for them" house:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

That's gorgeous, though.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
That what I mean: it's too much for my taste, but I can absolutely understand why someone would have it this way. (unlike with many houses I've posted here before)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I see that this thread is titled "bad & weird" houses, but the forums really need a general "PYF interesting house listings" thread, and this is the closest thing. It seems persnickety to make separate thread just for the occasional ones that are weird in a good way (or just plain cool).

Proposal to rename thread PYF Bad/Weird/Cool Houses.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We'd need an OP update too but I'm in favor.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I agree that it's not my thing but it's a lovely home, and it looks very warm and inviting. Makes me think of visiting grandma.

I can't get over the fridge being S M E G brand though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

aniviron posted:

I agree that it's not my thing but it's a lovely home, and it looks very warm and inviting. Makes me think of visiting grandma.

I can't get over the fridge being S M E G brand though.

They also make toasters

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Trabant posted:

Another "not necessarily my style but it's still freaking amazing and I love it for them" house:

There's a very similar house to this one in Peoria, IL. I feel like most medium cities have one of these

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

the classy kind of hoarder house where all their poo poo is nailed to the walls

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

joker in the streets, grandma in the sheets

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I wouldn't go for the flower upholstery but otherwise I absolutely love it.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It doesn't look comfortable but I'm sure some of that is the HDR

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ditocoaf posted:

It doesn't look comfortable but I'm sure some of that is the HDR

I think some of is just the sterile nature of real estate photography. With some food in the kitchen the chairs not so neatly arranged and a rug or two on them and some more piles of books around I think it would look a lot cosier, and probably closer to how it normally is.

Or who know, maybe the person/people who lived their just really did like things super neat like that. But yeah I would at least put some blankets or something on the couch. Those couches are usually way to hard.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I'm obSESSED with that intact fretwork. And the pocket door hardware! I'd move in tomorrow with all my weird MCM furniture, who cares what matches or not.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phy posted:

They also make toasters

And kettles! You can get matching sets.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And kettles! You can get matching sets.

Isn't a smeg kettle just a pony jar in a windowsill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That kitchen has a Smeg dishwasher and mixer as well!

I kinda wanted a pink Smeg fridge for my recent kitchen remodel but only if there was a way I could remove the branding. I couldn't find any info anywhere about how the letters were attached to the front of the door and wasn't willing the of risk buying one and damaging it or being stuck seeing S M E G every time I wanted something to eat.