Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Someone told the Russian artist that the worm has no dick and the Russian artists said "Nyet!" and drew a worm with two dicks for arms. Bold choice.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That’s a legitimately dope cover

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Finally an art blend of Dune and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Ithle01 posted:

Someone told the Russian artist that the worm has no dick and the Russian artists said "Nyet!" and drew a worm with two dicks for arms. Bold choice.

Sorry I should have specified, its actually the genius work of a Bulgarian publisher

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Top tier memes. A+.

free hubcaps posted:

Yea for it to be an implication there would have to be some vague reference or tidbit in the text or film suggesting as much, it's just a fan theory. Is it possible? Sure, but nothing directly implies it afaik.

The line "They take her apart like a doll" is a pretty specifically written line. It's not just vague "she's in a pain matrix" or whatever, it's written to conjure some specific images. That, combined with the Mrs Potato Head freak show of a human-spider pet that responds to The Voice, is enough of a connection for me.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I would be more onboard with that interpretation if yueh followed that line up with "...and resembled her into a spider mutant thing."

:kiss:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

stratdax posted:

Top tier memes. A+.

The line "They take her apart like a doll" is a pretty specifically written line. It's not just vague "she's in a pain matrix" or whatever, it's written to conjure some specific images. That, combined with the Mrs Potato Head freak show of a human-spider pet that responds to The Voice, is enough of a connection for me.

do we know it's bad being a spider thing tho

could be fun, if you're into that sort of thing

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think Villeneuve likes to put things like that in his movies to generate discussion. I'm on the side that the spider-thing is definitely Wanna, but I agree that it's ambiguous enough to go either way.

Pretty sure he also really digs spiders in general. I still don't know what the gently caress was going on with the ending of Enemy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The aliens in Arrival are kinda spider-y too.

I love that movie but it’s just too emotionally devastating to contemplate that much.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

spiders are cool as hell so I think dv is fine randomly putting them in all his movies. octopi too.

as long as he doesn't make them gently caress

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

priznat posted:

I love that movie but it’s just too emotionally devastating to contemplate that much.

It is kinda funny that it has a similar but more optimistic take on prescience compared to dune

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

StashAugustine posted:

It is kinda funny that it has a similar but more optimistic take on prescience compared to dune

drat yeah hadn’t thought of it in that way.. it’s an interesting counterpoint, like it can be taught and not bred

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It turns out the “weapon” wasn’t their language, the heptapod guild navigators were actually bringing spice to earth.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

priznat posted:

Haha, yeah. I made the genius decision of watching Arrival a couple of years after, well, a particular tragedy in my own family. Still an excellent, excellent movie! Just not gonna watch it again.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

kalel posted:

spiders are cool as hell so I think dv is fine randomly putting them in all his movies. octopi too.

as long as he doesn't make them gently caress

Copain,

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mister Speaker posted:

I still don't know what the gently caress was going on with the ending of Enemy.

the Enemy spider is woman as breeding animal, the horrifying vision of femininity as perpetuator of domestic order that male promiscuity & misogyny is an attempt to get away from (by going to underground sex club where women as sex objects crush spiders with fetish heels). The surviving Gyllenhaal is no longer scared of the pregnant wife. Instead, she’s scared of him when he goes out to the sex club because she knows that he will never be able to get over this vision of woman as enemy.

It’s very Dune tbh

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Praise be to the blZck sun Jerry.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Give me the terrifying looking but friendly spider aliens from deepness in the sky, those guys rule

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

free hubcaps posted:

Give me the terrifying looking but friendly spider aliens from deepness in the sky, those guys rule

I always liked imagining them driving around in their little spidercars. BEEP BEEP!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

I always liked imagining them driving around in their little spidercars. BEEP BEEP!
The opening scene where the spider protagonist(whose name I forget) is driving his little jalopy on the country road and describing the area and the nearby hillbillies is so whimsically written and really threw me for a loop the first time I read it. Fire and Deepness are both such amazing books, the Tines are probably some of the coolest aliens in any sf media.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

I love this

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why do they keep calling Paul the Quiznos hater

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

no no no,
he's the Quiznos Hadasnack

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

can't have subs in sand, this is DUNC not xenogears

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

he's the Quick Hats Haberdasher. he's gonna set up a nice little hat shop

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Martman posted:

he's the Quick Hats Haberdasher. he's gonna set up a nice little hat shop

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Go Go Desert Power Rangers

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Sounds like Dune 3 was greenlit as part of a 2 movie deal between Legendary and DV. The other movie will be about nuclear war.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/dune-3-denis-villeneuve-legendary-nuclear-war-1235960990/

ChairmanMauzer fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 5, 2024

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

good use of the rest of house atomics

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Fausty posted:

no no no,
he's the Quiznos Hadasnack

Kumquat Häagen-Dazs.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Sounds like Dune 3 was greenlit as part of a 2 movie deal between Legendary and DV. The other movie will be about nuclear war.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/dune-3-denis-villeneuve-legendary-nuclear-war-1235960990/

On the dance floor?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
He's not the Lisan Al Gaib, he's a very naughty boy!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still love how 'the House atomics' makes them sound like the family silverware or heirloom furniture

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still love how 'the House atomics' makes them sound like the family silverware or heirloom furniture

I think they are, kept aside for all the "what ifs?" that keeps a Duke awake at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That is absolutely one of the best things about them. "Oh dear, time to break out the fancy bombs."