Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

good read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
god i wish that were we

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
[Biosphere Cocaine]

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

with fish going extinct this doesnt interest me much, someone dm me when crickets and lentils have a buncha coke in them

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

just randomly found my almost 20 year old copy of james lovelock's the revenge of gaia

the man was right about so many things but i wonder if even he'd be surprised by how quickly we kicked off the apocalypse

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Tekne posted:

just randomly found my almost 20 year old copy of james lovelock's the revenge of gaia

the man was right about so many things but i wonder if even he'd be surprised by how quickly we kicked off the apocalypse

Before he checked out, I recall a piece in The Grauniad where he said something along the lines of “I’m glad my time is basically up, because everyone is so turbofucked already”.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Before he checked out, I recall a piece in The Grauniad where he said something along the lines of “I’m glad my time is basically up, because everyone is so turbofucked already”.

I only just turned 40 but I already have this feeling

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Weak. The pro move is to have a life of treats and still live long enough to enjoy everything coming apart

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Its fine. Whole generation just getting fuckloads of rear end cancer is fine. And lots of other weird rear end diseases. fine and normal.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024
is there an origin to the whole “treats” thing because it’s hilarious and anyone can tell at a glance what sort of mindset it’s patronizing, but I feel out of the loop

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ignore_Me posted:

is there an origin to the whole “treats” thing because it’s hilarious and anyone can tell at a glance what sort of mindset it’s patronizing, but I feel out of the loop

I dont know if it was the hard origin but for my recognition it was like the first 3 weeks of covid when people were absolutely loving losing their minds about not being able to go to restaurants and some podcaster was like "people are happily killing others for their treats"

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024
god dang that sounds like a Jan and Wayne Skylar married news team piece

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ignore_Me posted:

You got what I meant though. Token representation.

Sorry but the Dino is currently too busy Unnazifying Ukraine to do anything about the climate.

Remarks by President Biden at a Campaign Event | New York, NY | The White House

www.whitehouse.gov - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 posted:

But I — I give you my word as a Biden, I’ve never been more optimistic about our future. We have a chance. We have a chance to change the next six decades. 

And we’re in one of those inflection points in human history. They occur about every six or seven generations. 

We just went through the post-war period. It worked pretty drat well until things began to change. 

When I met with Putin after I was elected, in Geneva, I looked at him, and he talked about — he wanted to do something. I said, “What are you going to do about methane?” I said, “You — you have — you’re in eight time zones around the Arctic Circle, and methane is” — he had no idea. He didn’t have the slightest notion what he could do, and he knows there’s a problem. 

Well, we know the problems are out there, but we know how to solve them if we work together. Not just —

But everything is changing. I’ve never seen a time in my career — which is short, I know, but — (laughter) — I’ve never seen a time where there’s as much movement in the world. 

Think of all the nations that are reestablishing and reassessing where they are, what they think, how they’re going to react, what they’re going to do. 

Did you ever think you’d ride down a street or in a rural area and see a — a Trump flag with the middle of it saying, “F Biden,” and a little kids standing there, giving you the middle finger, standing with their parents? What are we — I don’t mi- — I believe — I don’t blame them for being mad at me. That’s fine. They can — they can want to defeat me. 

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Car Hater & Microplastics posted:

[Biosphere Cocaine] god i wish that were me

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

silicone thrills posted:

Its fine. Whole generation just getting fuckloads of rear end cancer is fine. And lots of other weird rear end diseases. fine and normal.

All of this is just such an amazing revenue source for the health care industry that any regulation would not only face opposition from plastic lobbyists but drug and hospital ones too.

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

mawarannahr posted:

a very presidential speech

these once in a lifetime inflection points that only happen every six or seven generations are getting harder and harder to deal with every four years

we live in a Joseph Heller novel but Sleepy Joe fell asleep on the electric typewriter after too many treats and so everything just reads as “zzzzzzzz”

also loving lol @ asking Putin to give two shits and a gently caress about GHG’s. why would Biden do that, is he stupid?

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Microplastics posted:

Weak. The pro move is to have a life of treats and still live long enough to enjoy everything coming apart

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Ignore_Me posted:

also loving lol @ asking Putin to give two shits and a gently caress about GHG’s. why would Biden do that, is he stupid?

Same energy as that German reporter trying to scold the President of Guyana over oil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDv42L8-soA

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024
no because that idiot pundit still has the functional excuse of “this dumb outrage bait is what my even dumber audience wants to see”

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Playing free Spotify at work I heard a commercial for plastic. Pretty sure they were saying stuff about "renewable & green". It was a commercial for plastic!

But maybe it was just a chaser after the commercial where a bank asks me to donate money. Paul-Verhoven-Movie rear end reality.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

stfu retard

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

BRJurgis posted:

Playing free Spotify at work I heard a commercial for plastic. Pretty sure they were saying stuff about "renewable & green". It was a commercial for plastic!

But maybe it was just a chaser after the commercial where a bank asks me to donate money. Paul-Verhoven-Movie rear end reality.

"Biden's visit to COP45 this week was interrupted by the orbital peace laser platform vaporising the remaining half of the Amazon rain forrest. Markets reacted negatively initially, until 3M and DuPont released a public statement allaying market fears by announcing their latest plastic based trees."

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

graph is still doing well :shobon:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

hold the phone you're telling me if I drink sewage I get free drugs??

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
my knowledge is treats comes from chapo recapping jon podhoretz columns complaining about delivery times or something

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

hold the phone you're telling me if I drink sewage I get free drugs??

please do not craft artisanal drug-laced jenkem from the sewer outflows

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/gmanews/status/1774582588688179553?t=C_EJKtfPFZsEGPT7Ver5zQ&s=19

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Hubbert posted:

Jenkem isn’t real you idiot

it’s the pee that gets you high

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Ignore_Me posted:

Jenkem isn’t real you idiot

Genetically modified frankenjenkem, on the other hand....

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ignore_Me posted:

Pretty sure it was Matt Christman/a CTH bit in like the late 2010s that took off into popular internet vernacular by 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ignore_Me posted:

it mostly took off during 2020 around discussions about how people couldn't help themselves when it came to needing "treats" even in the middle of a pandemic

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Crazycryodude posted:

Pretty sure it was Matt Christman/a CTH bit in like the late 2010s that took off into popular internet vernacular by 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

it mostly took off during 2020 around discussions about how people couldn't help themselves when it came to needing "treats" even in the middle of a pandemic

I am pretty sure I heard it on CTH before 2020, but probably earlier from others too. a quick search on Twitter shows this from 2019
https://x.com/NattyNeverWeary/status/1147096326984884224

e: idk who this person is but it's from a book published 2014

Caitlin Moran, How to Build a Girl (How to Build a Girl, #1) posted:

When the middle classes get passionate about politics, they're arguing about their treats—their tax breaks and their investments. When the poor get passionate about politics, they're fighting for their lives.

Politics will always mean more to the poor. Always. That's why we strike and march, and despair when our young say they won't vote. That's why the poor are seen as more vital, more animalistic. No classical music for us—no walking around National Trust properties or buying reclaimed flooring. We don't have nostalgia. We don't do yesterday. We can't bear it. We don't want to be reminded of our past, because it was awful: dying in means, and slums, without literacy, or the vote. Without dignity. It was all so desperate then. That's why the present and the future is for the poor—that's the place in time for us: surviving now, hoping for better later. We live now—for our instant, hot, fast treats, to pep us up: sugar, a cigarette, a new fast song on the radio.

You must never, never forget when you talk to someone poor, that it takes ten times the effort to get anywhere from a bad post code. It's a miracle when someone from a bad post code gets anywhere, son. A miracle they do anything at all.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I thought it was a chapo thing too.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

toggle posted:

graph is still doing well :shobon:

almost over the first hump baby, then it's an easy straight shot till august. I bet we break late aug we break into the future era. If this thing beats august it's not coming back, then we're gonna see poo poo we never seen before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcezmLKb1uA

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
on one hand https://www.yahoo.com/news/lawmakers-rush-stop-catastrophic-level-020000023.html

quote:

Lawmakers rush to stop 'catastrophic-level event' at Texas oil fields: 'We are going to have complete and utter ecological devastation'
The latest event was detected in Crane County in early December, when brine water poured out of the earth and over ranchland, Marfa Public Radio reported. The well wasn't plugged until Jan. 29, and the remediation project cost $2.5 million.

The water contained 154,000 chloride parts per million and at times flowed at 330 barrels, or 13,860 gallons, per hour, "creating a marsh-like scene," Mitch Borden reported. It was not always clear where it was coming from.

It took nine days to identify two wells and multiple other sources of the water. The Railroad Commission of Texas, which regulates the oil and gas industry in the Lone Star State, dug and lined 20 containment pits and had vacuum trucks remove the water.
The problem — perhaps caused by the injection of oil and gas wastewater underground and resulting increases in subsurface pressure — is so prevalent and productive that one leak has spawned a 60-acre body of water, Lake Boehmer. In addition to water, that abandoned wildcat well emits deadly hydrogen sulfide gas. These "zombie wells" are causing other issues too, including sinkholes.

"The worst thing about this one is that it's toxic [and] radioactive produced water that is going into the groundwater," said Bill Burch, who was defeated in the Democratic primary for a seat on the RRC on March 5. "That is a horrendous, worst-case scenario, catastrophic-level event to occur in oil and gas in West Texas."

"This is now definitive unquestionable proof that the future of usable groundwater in Texas is at risk due to the salt water disposal issue," he added.

The commission said it protected "any threat to freshwater" and that area water remained uncontaminated, noting the brine water stopped flowing Jan. 21 and that the well had been cased and cemented.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
on the other https://www.vox.com/climate/2411504...et-newtab-en-us

quote:

Why fossil fuel producers are oddly optimistic in the climate change era
Coal, oil, and natural gas producers have found their vision for a low-carbon world.

The conference isn’t meant to produce any formal agreements or treaties, but what attendees say on stage and behind closed doors often ripple through the global energy industry.

While only a sliver of the size of the last climate meeting — more than 8,000 delegates were at CERAWeek compared to more than 80,000 attendees at COP28 — the conference represents some of the most powerful companies in the world with trillions of dollars at their disposal to shape the future of global energy and the climate. The theme this year was “Multidimensional Energy Transition: Markets, climate, technology and geopolitics.”

By now everyone at CERAWeek has gotten the memo on global warming and understood the assignment, at least in rhetoric. The world’s largest energy firms have come to a general consensus that the world is shifting toward clean energy — but that fossil fuels are still going to be necessary for the foreseeable future. “These truths are not in conflict,” said Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm. “The momentum of the clean energy transition is undeniable, even as we are the largest producer of oil and gas in the world.”

Every talk and panel discussion nodded to the energy transition, toward carbon management, efficiency, and clean tech. When it comes to energy sources — wind, solar, hydropower, natural gas, oil, hydrogen, coal, nuclear, geothermal, and even fusion — CERAWeek has truly embraced diversity, equity, and inclusion.

But even with greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere reaching levels not seen in eons and after the hottest year humans have ever measured, the fossil fuel industry whose products are driving climate change sees a bright future for itself. After all, despite the extraordinary expansion of clean energy generation, fossil fuels have only lost a small share of the global energy mix and are still expecting more growth.

The majors believe that technologies like carbon capture and storage will allow them to continue selling their wares as emissions regulations ratchet down, and that power-devouring technologies like artificial intelligence and growing markets in developing countries will continue to raise demand. By some estimates, data center electricity use is on track to more than double by 2026. Coal, oil, and natural gas consumption are at or near record highs in many parts of the world and their emissions are currently on track to grow through 2050, according to the Energy Information Administration. The world is hungry for BTUs and watts, and the energy industry is eager to serve them.

“I’m actually more optimistic today than I’ve ever been in this job,” ExxonMobil CEO Darren Woods told attendees, noting that COP28 was the first climate conference he has ever attended.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

actually it's fine

-exxon

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again
Once we stop buying chinese in a full xenophobic panic, who better than our Oil Barons to take up the mantle of clean energy infrastructure!

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Hubbert posted:

don't lie to me you're just trying to keep all the peepoo drugwater to yourself rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
it seems bad to me if our lust for oil has resulted in the ground itself rejecting our waste