Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Watched the original Road House tonight. Now that's a fine piece of cinema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

wandler20 posted:

Watched the original Road House tonight. Now that's a fine piece of cinema.

I’m so jealous you got to experience that for the first time. Good for you.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Android Apocalypse posted:

I don't think it's keeping a recipe secret as much as having to learn the techniques the right way, which evolve over time. I learned to make tomato putchady from my Indian friend and only after he learned it from his mom… over a 10 year period. In this case it's not as much a recipe as a technique: there is an art to learning how much you need to remove the water from the tomatoes via boiling down. Funny enough my friend substituted boiling the tomatoes with using a dehydrator and it saved a lot of time babysitting the putchady over the stove. Granted, he figured this out within the 10 years and now he can make putchady with his eyes closed.

I have never seen Tombstone. I'm remedying that right now.

Boss movie

"Why Johnny Ringo... you look like somebody just walked over your grave."

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
America was so much better when the majority of the country's surplus of bad posters wanted to be Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday instead of Elon Musk.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is kinda embarrassing, but can someone give me a tl;dr on what a money market account is. I had to get my debit card replaced yesterday because the chip wasn't scanning and the teller suggested it because my credit union gives 6% on the first $500 and half a percent on everything over that. I'm genuinely new to having over a thousand dollars in savings and I really don't want to go to the business major subforum.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Someone light the Leper signal

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

/\/\LMAO you posted that while I was typing

A money market account is an interest-earning account where your idle cash gets invested in extremely safe but quite low-returning very short term debt. Basically like, one bank lends twenty million dollars to another bank for 24 hours and gets a tenth of a percent interest on it. Or transactions/debt with the US government that pays some tiny amount is very common too. Most money market accounts are insured, so you have zero risk. That's a key difference between a money market account and, say, a brokerage account where you invest in whatever you like.

You can earn around 5% on your cash savings just by using an online bank such as Ally - I'm using CIT, there's several. Money markets are returning similar, and if your preferred bank has that option and you'd rather not switch to an online bank, that's fine too. A third option is a brokerage account in which you invest in VUSXX, which is a treasury money market fund managed by Vanguard that is currently returning 5.29% and has the advantage of being tax-free in some states, so if you pay state tax your dividends (the interest) on that money are tax advantaged. The disadvantage is that you'd have to sell shares to retrieve cash, and your withdrawal might be subject to a two-day hold for regulatory reasons. But this is a good option for cash you want in a few months or a couple of years, such as savings for a down payment on a house or a car.

We just discussed the above options in the long-term investment and retirement thread, so if you'd like to check out that discussion it starts here.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 1, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Can I get the money out quickly if I need it? That's my main concern.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Typically you can. Check the specific terms from your bank, but money market accounts are not exactly as accessible as cash but usually close.

However it is not a checking account, you generally have to do a transfer to a checking account if you want to spend that money via a check or ATM card.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Most high yield savings allow you a small amount of withdrawals a month so if you need a quick infusion of money you can do it once. Just don't be pulling money out multiple times a month.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Most high yield savings allow you a small amount of transactions a month so if you need a quick infusion of money you can do it once. Just don't be pulling money out multiple times a month.

Yes. BTW this is usually true of money market accounts too.

There are often minimum deposit requirements to get the high interest rate on HYSAs. My CIT account pays 5.05% right now, but only if I have a balance of at least $5k. Every bank will have its own specific requirements and limits on HYSAs and on money market accounts, so check the fine print.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Yes. BTW this is usually true of money market accounts too.

There are often minimum deposit requirements to get the high interest rate on HYSAs. My CIT account pays 5.05% right now, but only if I have a balance of at least $5k. Every bank will have its own specific requirements and limits on HYSAs and on money market accounts, so check the fine print.

I remember when HMBradley was the hot HYS company of the pandemic because they offered 3% when every other one was at 1%ish. But to keep it you had to make a deposit multiple times a month at a certain minimum rate.

Naturally when rates went up they didn't keep up and everyone pulled their money out, then they went under. Whoops!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

LeeMajors posted:

I’m so jealous you got to experience that for the first time. Good for you.

It was fun. Now I want to watch a bunch of 80s movies.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Did a quick sear of the lamb shoulder in a 500°F oven after it came out of the 134°F sous vide for 40 hours.

Served it with kewpie mayo coleslaw & tumeric cauliflower rice. The Malbec paired well with everything.

Pretty proud of the smoke ring.

Even my housemate's dog enjoyed the scraps from his plate. Not pictured: the leftover cauliflower rice mixed into her food. A quick internet search said cauliflower isn't bad for dogs but may make them gassy; good thing she sleeps in my housemate bed so I don't have to worry about that. :fart:

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

wandler20 posted:

It was fun. Now I want to watch a bunch of 80s movies.

I like to think that we've all seen RoboCop but if you haven't, do yourself a favor and change that soon. In some ways it's almost a perfect film and isn't the schlocky bullshit that it would've been with any director besides Verhoeven. I just watched a 4 hour documentary on the films production and that's amazing as well. Despite what IMDB might tell you, there was only one RoboCop movie so don't be fooled.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I have a soft spot for Robocop 2 but that's because it's the 1st R-rated movie I saw in the theater.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Gremlins 2 is surprisingly good, watched it for the first time two years ago.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Boss movie

"Why Johnny Ringo... you look like somebody just walked over your grave."

Val Kilmer in Tombstone and The Saint was incredibly formative for me as a teen, same with Tom Cruise in Interview with the Vampire, Brandon Lee in The Crow, and almost everyone in The Mummy and The Mummy Returns.

I have never seen Robocop but my other main online hangout routinely has someone who refuses to believe that it's not really a pro-cop movie.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm just used to having more cash in my dresser than I do in my bank and now I have 8k in savings. I also have a Roth Ira or sorta (the one where you don't pay taxes on it until you retire) that my job matches. It's loving weird, I don't like having money, because you have to figure out what to do with it, even though it's all imaginary.

But thank you for the advice about money market accounts, I'll probably set one up.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

this is almost as bad as the newsroom bin ladin clip

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Intruder posted:

It's a long build for a joke, but I think "why is there a bunny involved in the celebration of the resurrection of your lord and savior?" is a decent question for someone not Christian to ask.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Intruder posted:

Sorkin don't miss.

I haven't watched since it was doing 2am re-runs on Comedy Central, but I remember loving Sports Night.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I love Aaron Sorkin dialogue because he has apparently never seen what happens when people talk to each other in real life.

A: "Why's there an easter bunny?"
B: "I dunno, 18th century immigrants probably. Marketing? It's all loving made up anyway, when you really think about it"

is at least as informative as whatever that was. Making a satirical pedantic bore like the character Frasier Crane seem succinct is not good writing.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Worst day on the internet. See yall tomorrow

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I have never seen Robocop but my other main online hangout routinely has someone who refuses to believe that it's not really a pro-cop movie.

It's really not pro-cop in the modern sense. It's an absolutely scathing satirical takedown of the 1980s Reagan era of unchecked capitalism, corporate greed and the militarization of the police force among other things. It really is a brilliant movie with a lot of things to say once you see past the silly "robot cop!" part.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I liked Dredd better

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

swickles posted:

gently caress, x-rays of doggo incidentally caught a huge mass on his spleen. Like really large and deffo needs a splenectomy. Having them do the work up now to make sure its not metastatic disease. I know my wife loves both dogs, but this guy was with her through pharmacy school and residency and her divorce and he is her special little guy. I just jumped in an Uber to meet her at the vet now because is near inconsolable.

Sorry swickles this sucks. Hope it’s something they can fix.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ahahahahahahahaha I’ve seen this happen at one of those rotating doors. Patient didn’t even notice. Family was all screaming.

Best thoughts for the dog bro

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

I'm just used to having more cash in my dresser than I do in my bank and now I have 8k in savings. I also have a Roth Ira or sorta (the one where you don't pay taxes on it until you retire) that my job matches. It's loving weird, I don't like having money, because you have to figure out what to do with it, even though it's all imaginary.

But thank you for the advice about money market accounts, I'll probably set one up.

friend, the BFC newbies thread would probably be of interest, but especially its OP:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3256838&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

personal politics or opinions about corporations matter not. the forum is there to help goons.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Air Skwirl posted:

Can I get the money out quickly if I need it? That's my main concern.

If you’re looking for that, I’d recommend My Banking Direct/Flagstar’s high yield savings account. The APY is currently 5.35%. I shift my money back and forth from it and my checking at my local credit union all the time. From what I can tell, there are no limits to how often you can do this.

The only downside is that if you need a transfer for the next day, there’s a small $8 fee if you initiate it from Flagstar. If you can wait three days, it’s a free transfer. But, I’ve found that if I initiate the transfer from my credit union, it usually gets there the next day for free.

https://www.mybankingdirect.com/#:~:text=The%20My%20Banking%20Direct%20High,and%20interest%20rate%20is%205.22%25.

seiferguy posted:

I remember when HMBradley was the hot HYS company of the pandemic because they offered 3% when every other one was at 1%ish. But to keep it you had to make a deposit multiple times a month at a certain minimum rate.

Naturally when rates went up they didn't keep up and everyone pulled their money out, then they went under. Whoops!

Yep. 3% at the time was amazing. But I moved from HMBradley then to Quontic then to Flagstar. Good thing about online banks is that it’s relatively easy to transfer money if someone else is offering better savings rates. They’re all better than your local bank’s savings by a ton though.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Oooooooof

https://x.com/notcapnamerica/status/1774620599253393570?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I don’t know what the problem is, everything seems all white to me :shrug:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

:eyepop:

that's a really nice LTTP. I'm currently watching Deadwood for the 3rd or 4th time and keep thinking about Tombstone every time I see Seth Bullock with his mustache looking very unlike Johnny Madrid.

I recently snagged the first season of Deadwood from a Half Price Books for like $6 and got a huge nostalgia kick when the intro theme kicked on. Then the DVD skips like 60% of the second episode :smith:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Ether Frenzy posted:

America was so much better when the majority of the country's surplus of bad posters wanted to be Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday instead of Elon Musk.

I have no recollection of this phase, but I'm guessing that it predates the internet or at least the social media internet.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

MOre bad posters need to strive to be like Tim Curry rather than Elon Musk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Val Kilmer in Tombstone and The Saint was incredibly formative for me as a teen, same with Tom Cruise in Interview with the Vampire, Brandon Lee in The Crow, and almost everyone in The Mummy and The Mummy Returns.

The Saint holds a special place in my heart next to Starship Troopers and True Lies as a movie that I don’t think is very good, but that I’ll go to my grave enjoying any time I see it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Its Rinaldo posted:

Worst day on the internet. See yall tomorrow

gonna be so much worse with AI content

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Ty for tolerating me over the years friends

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005