Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Jarvisi posted:

Isn't the KJV the worst translated and most inaccurate Bible? It's probably that

That's subjective but it definitely translates 'wild ox' as unicorn repeatedly

guess what animal is on the titular King James' coat of arms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

The Bible posted:

Probably; depends on the church. Some won't even let you through the doors if you're not a member; see: Baptists (not as a rule, they'll probably give you a Bible most of the time)

Really? In college I used to go to churches around Easter time cause they would have potlucks and I just went to eat the food. I mean, I was a poor college student don't @ me. Most of the churches I went to were Baptist cause that's just what was around me.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Jarvisi posted:

Isn't the KJV the worst translated and most inaccurate Bible? It's probably that

They aren't going to read it anyway.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Really? In college I used to go to churches around Easter time cause they would have potlucks and I just went to eat the food. I mean, I was a poor college student don't @ me. Most of the churches I went to were Baptist cause that's just what was around me.

Easter is a big day for them. People actually show up.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

The Bible posted:

Easter is a big day for them. People actually show up.

We called them C&E Christians, cuz they only showed up for Christmas and Easter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lammasu posted:

You guys should take some comfort in knowing that Trump is miserable.

But I wish he would be miserable in jail.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Jarvisi posted:

lotta strains of American Christianity got itself all stuck up on the notion that KJV is for certain the authoritative word of god in its purest form and any other translation is a bastardization full of inaccuracies

pay no mind to it being a translation of the original languages of the bible, that simply doesn't count. bible is kjv, jesus is white, get over it

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I really wanted a bible, like really wanted one, couldn't I just walk into the first church I see and ask and get one for free? I always assumed churches would be more than happy to give me one if I truly wanted/needed one.

Pretty much, mostly. There's also some phone apps too.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

Pretty much, mostly. There's also some phone apps too.

BibleGateway has pretty much all major translations, plus a few obscure ones and some good parallel translations with the earliest known copies we have.

Really, this is just something they'll put in their house, point to as evidence of their great piety, and never open ever.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

The Bible posted:

Luxury bibles are a real thing, though. Gold inlay, gold/silver embossing, annotations, notes, bulletproof covers, etc.

Any that can fit through the eye of a needle?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Often (in white Christian American cultures), the family tree is recorded in a fancy Bible, and passed from generation to generation.

The target audience is people who have been written out of the will and have to start a new Bible.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Tayter Swift posted:

Any that can fit through the eye of a needle?

If you spend all your money on your Bible you won't have enough left to worry about it.

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015

The Bible posted:

They [i]can't[i] read it anyway. Conservative churches push the KJV because it's written in ye olde English that's as incomprehensible to a modern speaker as Shakespeare. It's the same trick as the old school church refusing to allow the Bible to be translated out of Latin. Nobody can actually read the thing and are wholly reliant on their preacher to tell them what's in the book.

This is why arguments about so-called Christians not behaving as Jesus preached fall flat. Of course they don't follow the Bible in practice, they don't actually know what it says.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Waffle Shake posted:

They [i]can't[i] read it anyway. Conservative churches push the KJV because it's written in ye olde English that's as incomprehensible to a modern speaker as Shakespeare. It's the same trick as the old school church refusing to allow the Bible to be translated out of Latin. Nobody can actually read the thing and are wholly reliant on their preacher to tell them what's in the book.

This is why arguments about so-called Christians not behaving as Jesus preached fall flat. Of course they don't follow the Bible in practice, they don't actually know what it says.

It's not so much that the verbiage itself is incomprehensible (though it often is). It's that if you open up to a random page, it's filled with poo poo like this:

Bible, 2 Chronicles, Chapter 13 posted:

19 And Abijah pursued after Jeroboam, and took cities from him, Bethel with the towns thereof, and Jeshanah with the towns thereof, and Ephrain with the towns thereof.

20 Neither did Jeroboam recover strength again in the days of Abijah: and the LORD struck him, and he died.

21 But Abijah waxed mighty, and married fourteen wives, and begat twenty and two sons, and sixteen daughters.

22 And the rest of the acts of Abijah, and his ways, and his sayings, are written in the story of the prophet Iddo.

Whether that is written in plain English or Bible-ese, it's still gobbledygook.

The Bible stories everyone knows are about 2% of the whole thing. Religious people might be familiar with up to about 10% of it. But the other 90% of it is meaningless garbage not even trying to weave itself into a cohesive narrative or have any particular point, much less instructions on how to live a moral life.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Inferior Third Season posted:

It's not so much that the verbiage itself is incomprehensible (though it often is). It's that if you open up to a random page, it's filled with poo poo like this:

The Bible stories everyone knows are about 2% of the whole thing. Religious people might be familiar with up to about 10% of it. But the other 90% of it is meaningless garbage not even trying to weave itself into a cohesive narrative or have any particular point, much less instructions on how to live a moral life.

Is this passage exclusive to the KJV or something? Or is it just extra badly translated in this version?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is this passage exclusive to the KJV or something? Or is it just extra badly translated in this version?
I literally just googled "Bible", went to the first link (which happened to be KJV), and then picked a random book, chapter, and verse from the pulldowns.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Inferior Third Season posted:

It's phrased obnoxiously, but it's not actually difficult to understand. It's just a snippet of the big section of history and genealogy that nobody reads because it literally does not matter.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Staluigi posted:

lotta strains of American Christianity got itself all stuck up on the notion that KJV is for certain the authoritative word of god in its purest form and any other translation is a bastardization full of inaccuracies

pay no mind to it being a translation of the original languages of the bible, that simply doesn't count. bible is kjv, jesus is white, get over it

The head of the government department at the community college I attended was the son of Peter Ruckman, one of the big shot leaders of the KJV only movement. This wasn't a religious college, but the government department was insanely chuddy under his leadership. I remember one teacher yelling at me in class back in 2005 because he was arguing that gay people can't get married because marriage is about childbirth. He didn't like it when I said George Washington would be very surprised to hear that. I used to argue with that teacher and Ruckman himself on the lovely community college forum all the time when I was a student there, they sucked.

This comment made me look the guy up because it's been like 20 years since I last interacted with him. Well, turns out that the professor, P.S. Ruckman, Jr, shot himself and his two kids to get back at his wife for leaving him, after posting a bunch of Wagner poo poo on his blog.

Kind of loving me up today honestly.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It's phrased obnoxiously, but it's not actually difficult to understand. It's just a snippet of the big section of history and genealogy that nobody reads because it literally does not matter.
I think we're saying the same thing.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Because it is almost certainly made up, in a very mundane 'legitimizing the king' way.

E: for clarification, almost all materials before the neo babalonian exile are almost entirely fabrication, with minimal historical bases and massive misrepresentations.

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 1, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

If that specific passage was used as a reason for the KJV being shittier than the other versions then it implies that the other versions have it better translated. I'm just asking if that's true? I could look it up I guess but I'm also not the one making that claim so I shouldn't have to.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

If that specific passage was used as a reason for the KJV being shittier than the other versions then it implies that the other versions have it better translated. I'm just asking if that's true? I could look it up I guess but I'm also not the one making that claim so I shouldn't have to.
I was making the opposite point - the reason the Bible is difficult to read and why nobody actually does is because it is saying a bunch of meaningless garbage, regardless of how archaic or modern the translation is. It doesn't matter if it says "begat" or "was father to" over and over again in a long list of lineage, because the long list of names by itself is meaningless.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Boris Galerkin posted:

It depends what you consider better translated, formal vs functional and dynamic equivalence.

---

In the interest of bringing things a little more back on topic I want to add this part

quote:

# Is any of the money from this Bible going to the Donald J. Trump campaign for President?

No, GodBlessTheUSABible.com is not political and has nothing to do with any political campaign. GodBlessTheUSABible.com is not owned, managed or controlled by Donald J. Trump, The Trump Organization, CIC Ventures LLC or any of their respective principals or affiliates.

GodBlessTheUSABible.com uses Donald J. Trump’s name, likeness and image under paid license from CIC Ventures LLC, which license may be terminated or revoked according to its terms.

I assume it can go to his legal troubles

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 1, 2024

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
The Bible is the literal divine word of god and the King James version is divinely inspired and therefore trustworthy. Everything after that is corrupted by earthly influence and is nice but shouldn't be taken literally

That is not my personal opinion, obviously, but that is the standard defense of KJV used in my area

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Have you folks considered Catholicism :unsmigghh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is how those chapters appear in the New International Version:

quote:

9 Abijah pursued Jeroboam and took from him the towns of Bethel, Jeshanah and Ephron, with their surrounding villages. 20 Jeroboam did not regain power during the time of Abijah. And the Lord struck him down and he died.

21 But Abijah grew in strength. He married fourteen wives and had twenty-two sons and sixteen daughters.

22 The other events of Abijah’s reign, what he did and what he said, are written in the annotations of the prophet Iddo.

More colloquial and easier to read, but the content is still almost entirely irrelevant to modernity

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.
The only secular argument in favor of the KJV I can recall is that modern translations don't sound as cool or poetic when spoken.

Verses where "[ancient Hebrew name] beget [ancient Hebrew name]" can't be helped, but those aren't what get recited from the pulpit. With the KJV it's easier for pastors to impart a sense of "majesty" to God's word (and themselves) which can be more difficult to pull off with a modern, simplified translation.

But yeah I doubt most of those who buy a Trump edition of the Bible are going to want to wear it down through years of use. I'd also assume most Evangelicals interested in buying this already have a Bible at home. The decision to use the KJV might have just been a "diplomatic" one, since KJV-only types are very insistent, whereas those who aren't will just be like "I don't actually prefer reading the KJV but whatever, Trump 2024."

Enver Zogha fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 1, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

mawarannahr posted:

It depends what you consider better translated, formal vs functional and dynamic equivalence.

---

In the interest of bringing things a little more back on topic I want to add this part

I assume it can go to his legal troubles

"CIC Ventures LLC — the limited liability company mentioned at the end of the answer — is listed in Trump's 2023 financial disclosures with him as its manager, president, secretary and treasurer, as The Washington Post reported. The same company is also listed at the bottom of the website for Trump's sneaker deal he announced in February 2024 and is associated with other products he previously endorsed, the Post also reported."

From Snopes - 'Who Owns CIC Ventures?'

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Commander in Chief ventures, sighs deeply.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh cool, Bible chat.

My family Bible is a massive loving Tome that doubles as a lethal weapon, and could take that pansy-rear end "Trump Bible" in a fight any day of the week. That's it, that's all I wanted to add.

Anyone want to see pics?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I want a cool bible that replaces the word "knew" with "gently caress". That would be a cool bible.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

B I B L E I N B I O

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Madkal posted:

I want a cool bible that replaces the word "knew" with "gently caress". That would be a cool bible.

Get one of these:

> The Wicked Bible, sometimes called the Adulterous Bible or the Sinners' Bible, is an edition of the Bible published in 1631 by Robert Barker and Martin Lucas, the royal printers in London, meant to be a reprint of the King James Bible. The name is derived from a mistake made by the compositors: in the Ten Commandments in Exodus 20:14, the word "not" was omitted from the sentence, "Thou shalt not commit adultery," causing the verse to instead read, "Thou shalt commit adultery."

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Lager posted:

The head of the government department at the community college I attended was the son of Peter Ruckman, one of the big shot leaders of the KJV only movement. This wasn't a religious college, but the government department was insanely chuddy under his leadership. I remember one teacher yelling at me in class back in 2005 because he was arguing that gay people can't get married because marriage is about childbirth. He didn't like it when I said George Washington would be very surprised to hear that. I used to argue with that teacher and Ruckman himself on the lovely community college forum all the time when I was a student there, they sucked.

This comment made me look the guy up because it's been like 20 years since I last interacted with him. Well, turns out that the professor, P.S. Ruckman, Jr, shot himself and his two kids to get back at his wife for leaving him, after posting a bunch of Wagner poo poo on his blog.

Kind of loving me up today honestly.

that's wild, sorry about the unexpected deep dive

least i can say on the situation is that if a person's dad is described as anything like "leader in the KJV only movement" (or any of those things where people get so explicitly anal about religion that they will devote their life and identity to dredging up new hills to die on) then they were probably carrying monumental quantities of grade-a childhood trauma inflicted by a bitterly hyperobsessive parent

all usually untreated of course because gently caress if these people believe in therapy

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Randalor posted:

Oh cool, Bible chat.

My family Bible is a massive loving Tome that doubles as a lethal weapon, and could take that pansy-rear end "Trump Bible" in a fight any day of the week. That's it, that's all I wanted to add.

Anyone want to see pics?

Oh heck yeah post that. I love seeing family bibles, the older the better.

There are three Bibles that I am really fond of in my family.

1) My aunt's bible, goes back about 80 years or so, really ornate, has family tree, leather bound and lovingly cared for.

2) My inlaw's bible, well loved, has a ton of notes and post-its where a particular verse would help them or they used with my wife and her sister growing up.

3) My uncle's "rough draft bible". He is a historian as well as a Baptist preacher, so he has his nice Bible and the Bible he uses for coming up with sermons. The working bible is full of post-its, random scrawlings, slips of paper, bits of info about historical happenings that coincide with specific verses of the Bible, that sort of thing. Kind of like Indiana Jones's father in the Last Crusade.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I was sure Lee Greenwood was dead.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Boris Galerkin posted:

If I really wanted a bible, like really wanted one, couldn't I just walk into the first church I see and ask and get one for free? I always assumed churches would be more than happy to give me one if I truly wanted/needed one.

The purpose isn't to have a Bible, it's to show your support of DJT as the holy savior of America.

It's literally virtue signaling

Edward Mass posted:

Churches are like libraries when it comes to the bible, in that you can read it there or check it out, but they'd prefer to keep an account of it.

Is there a specific version of the bible being scammed to these Trump marks, or is it just AI translated nonsense like I would expect it to be?

Someone was telling me they heard reports they were overprints of someone else's Bible they hadn't been able to sell, presumably Lee Greenfield or whoever

Jarvisi posted:

It's inaccurate because it was the first major English translation, in 1611. Between scholarship being somewhat in its infancy, use of now-archaic language, and its publication somewhat politically motivated to support King James' authority, there are a lot of things that detract from understanding the original authors' meaning.

However, certain Protestant sects consider it the only divinely-inspired translation, so any "mistakes" are the will of god

It mattered to the authors because it established the lineages of certain people that gave the then-current leadership their authority (or established that Jesus fulfilled certain Jewish prophecies about the messiah)

But yeah completely useless and irrelevant for someone looking for moral guidance

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Uglycat posted:

Often (in white Christian American cultures), the family tree is recorded in a fancy Bible, and passed from generation to generation.

The target audience is people who have been written out of the will and have to start a new Bible.

Fun fact: My mother forgot to legally change her name when she got married, but started doing everything under her married name so her ID, etc were all with her married name.

20 years later computers and interconnected databases are a thing and now some systems are very confused as to her with her maiden name and married name being the same person.

To legally change her name where it hadn’t yet, she had to go and prove she really was the person with her maiden name. But our house had burnt down in the meantime and she had no old IDs or anything.

She did have her birth certificate, but they wouldn’t accept that (or needed an additional piece of info.) They did accept the family bible that had her name recorded in it.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Happy to report that Trump’s stock is taking a bath as “news” of what everyone already knew (that this company is a piece of poo poo) comes out.

It loving sucks that it ever went up in the first place and it’s still at a price that insiders might make a profit out of it if it held for another 5.5 months, but it’s good to see that the price is not completely divorced from reality.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-media-stock-tanks-as-new-filing-reveals-heavy-losses-greater-risks-on-trumps-involvement-164313322.html

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Almost 14 million shares traded already today. Trump must have sold at last night's close.

He'd be rich again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Fun fact: My mother forgot to legally change her name when she got married, but started doing everything under her married name so her ID, etc were all with her married name.

20 years later computers and interconnected databases are a thing and now some systems are very confused as to her with her maiden name and married name being the same person.

To legally change her name where it hadn’t yet, she had to go and prove she really was the person with her maiden name. But our house had burnt down in the meantime and she had no old IDs or anything.

She did have her birth certificate, but they wouldn’t accept that (or needed an additional piece of info.) They did accept the family bible that had her name recorded in it.

My dad is just old enough to have a form somewhere from the ND government that actually specified a family bible with birth dates as an acceptable form of ID. I'm pretty sure it also had "sworn statement of identity from 2 non-relatives" or something like that as an option too.