Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Since it’s a con check you can buff Astarion with Guidance, Enhance Ability Bears Endurance or the Con amulet from house of hope, and Bardic Inspiration. You can also cast Daylight on Astarion’s weapon before the encounter.

I had the Origin version of the encounter but I prevented most of his attacks by casting daylight and fog cloud on Astarion. Bats can echolocate but Vampires can’t it seems. I'd also add that its really weird that it is a ability check instead of a save since this is something that is being inflicted onto someone against their will. My personal :tinfoil: is that the devs really hate Divination in the plot since they made it apply to saves instead of ability checks and saves rarely show up in dialog.

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
Best boy Scratch has the help action so if you toss a Sanctuary on him he can dash across and free Astarion without impacting your action economy too much, freeing up your guys to start doing all of the things everyone else has already mentioned.

e: Caz's legendary action can't fire if he's prone so if it was me first priority would be hitting him with flurries from Laezel until he's on the ground, which is a pretty good idea under most circumstances anyway.

GHOST_BUTT fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 1, 2024

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
Thanks for all the tips everyone ! I'll give it a go tonight and report back.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Medullah posted:

Yeah I think that option is only available early on. Which sucks because the Steel Watchers drop iron like crazy.

Yeah I don’t know if there was some idea for it that got cut but after you make the Helldusk armor it’s useless vendor fodder.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bum the Sad posted:

Yeah I don’t know if there was some idea for it that got cut but after you make the Helldusk armor it’s useless vendor fodder. item to put in your camp chest hoping a secret hidden use is found for it

Fixed

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

poo poo, you got me :negative:

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Implying there was meant to be more content for infernal metal makes you a toxic upper city truther :colbert:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I think it just looks neat :)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Black Noise posted:

Implying there was meant to be more content for infernal metal makes you a toxic upper city truther :colbert:

It wouldn't surprise me if infernal metal is indeed toxic. Like, a lead alloy or something

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

I have altered Astarion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If BG3 came out in 2003 instead of 2023.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

MariusLecter posted:

I have altered Astarion.

exquisite tea posted:

If BG3 came out in 2003 instead of 2023.

haha

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

MariusLecter posted:

I have altered Astarion.

You're taking April Fools too far

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

more dark urge revelations: how did larian manage to openly mention necrophilia in an official d&d product lmao

I just pretend that the game has an unreliable narrator since alot of other things in his past are malleable anyways but yeah it's really loving gross and was frankly an unnecessary inclusion.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 1, 2024

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
My avatar of murder born out of murder goop smells of flowers and plays in a punk band. They don't eat meat because that is gross.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's almost deflating that none of the ARPGs or other games featuring magic that I've looked at since BG3 have a skill for their warlock-adjacent classes that slaps as hard as Eldritch Blast.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Xbox question: Does this crash to dashboard in multiplayer for anyone else?

I've been playing online with my brother and seems like there is a 50/50 shot that our session is plagued by him (I am the host) crashing to dash.

Googling only really brings up the initial issues with the game back in December/January.

He plays it just fine on his own. Usually happens within 10 or so minutes of loading in.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Shumagorath posted:

It's almost deflating that none of the ARPGs or other games featuring magic that I've looked at since BG3 have a skill for their warlock-adjacent classes that slaps as hard as Eldritch Blast.

if I had to even compare, the closest thing I can think of is some stuff you can do with Diablo 3 Wizard, but there's still no contest, yeah

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Is Eldritch Blast this incredible class-defining spell in previous editions of DND? Or did Wizards decide to make it 10x better than any other cantrip for 5e for whatever reason? Not that it matters for BG3 just curious. 5e is the only rule set I've played.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Docjowles posted:

Is Eldritch Blast this incredible class-defining spell in previous editions of DND? Or did Wizards decide to make it 10x better than any other cantrip for 5e for whatever reason? Not that it matters for BG3 just curious. 5e is the only rule set I've played.

Cantrips didnt exist in 3rd Edition and Warlock was a late arrival in 3.5 that introduced the radical idea that a spellcaster should cast spells more often than not. It was a real big hit!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lawman 0 posted:

I just pretend that the game has an unreliable narrator since alot of other things in his past are malleable anyways but yeah it's really loving gross and was frankly an unnecessary inclusion.

Don’t be such a prude

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Best boy Scratch has the help action so if you toss a Sanctuary on him he can dash across and free Astarion without impacting your action economy too much, freeing up your guys to start doing all of the things everyone else has already mentioned.

e: Caz's legendary action can't fire if he's prone so if it was me first priority would be hitting him with flurries from Laezel until he's on the ground, which is a pretty good idea under most circumstances anyway.

Scratch can join the party?! I love him!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

If necrophilia was bad then they wouldn't let you gently caress Astarion.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I hosed Withers.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

wizard2 posted:

if I had to even compare, the closest thing I can think of is some stuff you can do with Diablo 3 Wizard, but there's still no contest, yeah
Diablo 3's Disintegrate was actually my best example; a game from over ten years ago.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

At some point in the camp event queue he'll find a ball that you can throw to summon him. If he drops to 0 HP he respawns at camp iirc. He's useful for finding hidden stuff in the world when you roll that magical four consecutive failed perception checks.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 1, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

MariusLecter posted:

I hosed Withers.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Docjowles posted:

4e was a very brief flash in the pan for me but if I remember Eldritch Blast was a bread and butter ability but nowhere near as strong or useful as it is for 5e once you power it up.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

3.5E warlock was basically an eldritch blast dispenser as well, but their unique twist was that they could infuse the blast with various properties like chaining to multiple targets, dealing specific elemental damage, etc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Eldritch Blast is especially strong in BG3 because it's a multi-hitting cantrip, which lets it benefit from a ton of different item effects.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

SlothBear posted:

4e was a very brief flash in the pan for me but if I remember Eldritch Blast was a bread and butter ability but nowhere near as strong or useful as it is for 5e once you power it up.

in 3.5, which was all about Simulationist Monte Cook game design, having a spell in your back pocket if you were captured and seperated from your gear was a huuuuuge deal

3rd Edition had so many garbage Classes and Prestige Classes that nobody should really want to remember, but Warlock becoming a standard class was just a testament to just how great an idea it was at the time

spaghetti thrown at the wall

one of my favorites from that era was that Dragonborn were nothing like the Dragonborn of 4e, but instead a Racial Template that gets applied after a ritual where you hatch out of a large weird egg

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
One thing I do miss from 3.5e in BG 3 regarding Warlocks is the Shape that allowed you to use your Eldritch Blast with melee attacks. It wasn't super effective, but it was still a fun Gish thing.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
if you want more good ol 3.5 Warlock action you can always play Neverwinter Nights 2 and obv Mask of the Betrayer (which becomes very funny in a way if you play a Warlock, now that I think)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

LifeLynx posted:

Can't decide if my Evil playthrough should be an oath breaking Paladin or Warlock. Eldritch Blast sounds like a blast, but Paladin/Warlock gets so many attacks. And I can kick off the evilness by killing a neutral NPC.

You can be both.

EorayMel fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 1, 2024

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Can't decide if my Evil playthrough should be an oath breaking Paladin or Warlock. Eldritch Blast sounds like a blast, but Paladin/Warlock gets so many attacks. And I can kick off the evilness by killing a neutral NPC.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yeah, it is a Larian game, so figuring out some way to cast Speak With Animals is presumably just part of your morning routine as it should be. Pretty sure it's the second dialogue prompt after you meet him but as long as you have his ball in your inventory you can summon him.

He (like all summons) can drink potions and use elixirs if you select him then open the party inventory screen, should you for some reason need a Very Good Boy with a 27 Strength or invisibility or whatever.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
is there any items that grant Speak With Animals or is it all potions if you cant already cast it?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Yeah, it is a Larian game, so figuring out some way to cast Speak With Animals is presumably just part of your morning routine as it should be.
The one downside to Speak With Animals is that you can miss an achievement due to a camp event, and it's impossible to see when that event will pop without mods.

The various events and dialogues are also very cute without it, but the animal voice actors all 100% nail their parts.

wizard2 posted:

is there any items that grant Speak With Animals or is it all potions if you cant already cast it?
No worn items I'm aware of, but it's also the easiest potion to make by far.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I can't imagine playing this game without one character with Speak with Animals. Talking to Scratch and the Owlbear Cub is a highlight of the game.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

more dark urge revelations: how did larian manage to openly mention necrophilia in an official d&d product lmao

they also manage to work incest into it

edit beaten like a government mule

Docjowles posted:

There’s also incest in the Bhaal cult. Turns out the kind of people who worship the god of murder are pretty hosed up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

Oathbreaker Paladin/warlock multiclass gets the best of both classes plus double edgelord vibes, seems like a clear winner