Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also looking at other sites it seems like there's a massive variation in cost between where you get the script filled so idk maybe I'm just lucky. Like it's $15 at wal-mart, $27 at Costco, $40 at Target etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

Also nobody's buying loving name-brand wellbutrin you're buying the generic that's like four bucks even without insurance

the generic Wellbutrin is hosed up, gave me chest pains. at the time i was on the state medicaid aid, the doc prescribed the gsk brand name and I paid nothing at all. I would probably have to pay a ton for the gsk stuff now if i needed it.

(i think the state did stop covering the brand sometime during the pandemic)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

Also nobody's buying loving name-brand wellbutrin you're buying the generic that's like four bucks even without insurance

when I gave it a try my doctor (here in Canada) told me that Concerta is one of the like five meds he notices a difference for between generic and brand-name with his patients so he specified the brand and gave me a manufacturer’s coupon to cover the difference. even for mental health meds it does sometimes matter I guess.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you can have a fair bit of difference in delivery profile and bioavailability and still get a generic approved. I’ve had to get specific rxes a few times

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Shame Boy posted:

Some people go to Target because they like it though.

Corpsegrinder loves hunting for clearance deals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvOfQ9svmPU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BonHair posted:

In terms of they actually made hair grow where clearly it didn't, it's a success story. But like, maybe go for something slightly more or less realistic?

Completely unrealistic hair transplants should be a thing though. Like bald head with a Sharpie dick in pubes or concentric chin circles in ginger and grey.

Where do they transplant the hair from?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I had a bad reaction to a generic but because it was a benzo I assumed I was noceboing myself and being silly.

after a couple weeks I googled it and found pages of people on Reddit complaining about the exact generic brand, within the past few months, and in one case someone had withdrawal seizures despite a stable dose.

I took name brand for two years, then switched to Teva which has always been fine.

the brand pills look cooler in this case. little cut out V in the valiums, k in the klonopin

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Dog Case posted:

Corpsegrinder loves hunting for clearance deals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvOfQ9svmPU

That's incredibly endearing

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
i fixated on the world of warcraft tattoo

was the consumerism relaly that endearing?

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I think influencer culture has really broken some people, if this is how they handle this happening in their life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmdAYAttFAE

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

good thing he can still pay for a videographer

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
he's pulling off of that

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I think influencer culture has really broken some people, if this is how they handle this happening in their life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmdAYAttFAE

Very sad that happened but the choice to make this video and proudly post it means he loses all my sympathy.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

I wouldn’t move back either if I was rich and had already severed all my local connections

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Imagine seeing this guy on the subway as he looks at his reflection in the door, realizes it would make for a good shot for the video, then quietly pulls out his phone and makes a pensive face for 10 seconds

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Biplane posted:

Very sad that happened but the choice to make this video and proudly post it means he loses all my sympathy.

How dare you disrespect his personal journey, of which his wife's untimely, tragic death is but one chapter.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

honey, can you do the cancer dance again, the lighting wasn’t great on that last take

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Ruffian Price posted:

Imagine seeing this guy on the subway as he looks at his reflection in the door, realizes it would make for a good shot for the video, then quietly pulls out his phone and makes a pensive face for 10 seconds

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
feeding my wife polonium for social media clout

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Münchausen by posting

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

poo poo, I was adjusting my balls. Oh well, better post it anyway

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Münchausen by posting

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Münchausen by posting

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Also looking at other sites it seems like there's a massive variation in cost between where you get the script filled so idk maybe I'm just lucky. Like it's $15 at wal-mart, $27 at Costco, $40 at Target etc.

Sort of off topic but can anyone explain discount programs like GoodRX? It’s totally hit or miss but sometimes it brings down the cost of medications by like 50% but it’s not insurance so I’m not sure what the gently caress anyone is getting out of this arrangement

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Bouillon Rube posted:

Sort of off topic but can anyone explain discount programs like GoodRX? It’s totally hit or miss but sometimes it brings down the cost of medications by like 50% but it’s not insurance so I’m not sure what the gently caress anyone is getting out of this arrangement

i just assumed it was cutting out as much of the price inflation and middle men as possible and doing a more reasonable fee for the dispensing and selling.
also drug info is big, even anonymized datasets are worth it if you want to assume they are being compliant

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
There's undoubtedly some poo poo going on with "charity" and "tax writeoffs" with a lot of that, too.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Bouillon Rube posted:

I legitimately have no clue what is up with non-insurance drug discount programs. I had an issue with my insurance and needed to pay out-of-pocket for a few days’ supply of a particular medication, which would have cost me $30 per day. The pharmacist was very apologetic about this and repeatedly insisted that I needed to call my insurance provider, but when I uttered the apparently magical words “is there something you can do?”, they immediately scanned a coupon code and cut the price by 80%. I know that drug prices are largely based on rates that suppliers negotiate with insurance companies, hence the stupidly high prices that an individual could not reasonably cover, but these weird secondary pricing schemes for people who know how to beg properly are utterly mystifying.

tom kite
Feb 12, 2009

Münchausen by posting

Lmao

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

the discount programs are a pressure release valve so that doctors keep prescribing the medication, which means that in the insured cases the mfr still gets the expected price

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

the discount programs are a pressure release valve so that doctors keep prescribing the medication, which means that in the insured cases the mfr still gets the expected price

I assumed it was something like this yeah, plus whenever the media or congress or whoever complains they can go "but we have programs to help people who can't afford it, look!!!" which I've definitely seen pharma companies do multiple times before, like a fuckin' coupon is some kinda charity.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My understanding is that Goodrx is plugged into the pricing systems that big groups can use to negotiate lower prices. The lower prices were always there, but you as an individual had no way to access them.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

There are multiple types of discount programs. The discount cards are (I think) bulk buy programs where they will negotiate with pharmacy chains to get a fixed discount for members.

The manufacturer discounts (which are basically coupons) I think are part of the general expected earnings grift that has infected every part of the economy, where they know they need to set an MSRP at a much higher point than the market for the drug can actually support to move the number of units they need to move, because Number. So they then do these discount programs so they can basically do a little low key financial deception where they can claim expected forward revenue on the product at Big Number based on the msrp and total units moved and then put the discount program under their marketing budget.

It's basically the same grift as half empty apartment buildings with rents so high they can't attract tenants refusing to lower rents and instead offering five thousand dollar rebates and a peloton for move-ins, because the value of the building is based on the rent revenue but five thousand dollars and a peloton is just a marketing cost bro it's not a signal that the value of the building has declined.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Participating in an insulin group buy

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

Participating in an insulin group buy

This is absolutely something a good government healthcare programme should be doing.
My friend has a PhD in health economics and works as essentially a government lobbyist, and literally this is one of the things she's lobbying for. The current Danish system is that "consumers" buy insulin basically straight from Novo Nordisk, which the state then refunds. This lets Novo Nordisk set the price and also not worry about buying power. If instead the state/regions went and bought as much as needed, they would get a way better negotiating position, much better control of supply and ultimately save a bunch of money. And also the money could then be spent on life saving cancer medication or treating obesity or something.
But guess who likes the current system and also somehow have a lot of money for lobbyist?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

insulin should be free.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I mean, yeah. Nationalize all pharma companies and so forth.

Comedy option: it is free if your body doesn't suck.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I took a few continuing education courses on pharmaceutical billing chains back when I worked Medicaid compliance. Not supply chains, billing chains. The webs that these companies have set up between the manufacturers, retail, doctor's offices, government agencies, and insurance companies are insane. Each step has big corporate actors acting as middle men, and each step has big third party contracts to act as billers and auditors, so there are endless junctions in what should be an easy process, and at every juncture that middle man takes his cut.

As the most simple possible example, a Medicaid agency might pay a Pharmacy Benefits Management (PBM) company, a manufacturer, a wholesaler, and the pharmacy itself for the same bottle of boner pills. Medicaid will also pay for the PBM-Medicaid auditor, the PBM-Manufacturer will split an auditor/biller between them, the manufacturer will pay for an auditor/ biller between it and Medicaid, and between it and the wholesaler, the wholesaler will pay for the auditor/biller between it and everyone else, the Pharmacy will have its costs paid by Medicaid, which requires another compliance audit. All this happens before you get your boner pills, and all require separate individualized contracts if using private insurance. And that's even before the doctors start running pills mills or the identity thieves steal your meemaw's Medicaid number so they and their black market doctor can bill boner pills under her name.

BigHead has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Apr 2, 2024

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

BonHair posted:

This is absolutely something a good government healthcare programme should be doing.
My friend has a PhD in health economics and works as essentially a government lobbyist, and literally this is one of the things she's lobbying for. The current Danish system is that "consumers" buy insulin basically straight from Novo Nordisk, which the state then refunds. This lets Novo Nordisk set the price and also not worry about buying power. If instead the state/regions went and bought as much as needed, they would get a way better negotiating position, much better control of supply and ultimately save a bunch of money. And also the money could then be spent on life saving cancer medication or treating obesity or something.
But guess who likes the current system and also somehow have a lot of money for lobbyist?

congress explicitly prohibits CMS from doing this, although there was a minor relaxation recently. IMO any medicine on the WHO essential medicines list should be manufactured and provided by the government.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

BonHair posted:

I mean, yeah. Nationalize all pharma companies and so forth.

Comedy option: it is free if your body doesn't suck.

telling the patient's islets of langerhans that they have a tremendous skill issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

Some people go to Target because they like it though.

I wouldn't even know where to go for stuff if not Target or Walmart. The other stores closed or are just as bad or worse.