Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I did a "use parchment paper instead of ground glass" test with the back open in bulb mode and I am like 99% sure now that my lens is just focusing past infinity. So that's good.

Less good is I "finished" shooting some double 8 in my dumb little thrift store brownie. Went into a closet and opened up the side and the film is just... everywhere. Pretty sure I hosed up loading the 2nd half somehow. Womp womp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Some Lomochrome Turquoise. Think this is my favorite of the Lomochrome films I've tried out.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I'm being offered expired Arista400 bulk reels at $50 each. I've never used it, but I do have a bulk loader at home. Worth it for having something to gently caress around with? For comparison, an unexpired roll of HP5+ is $116.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

What's arista 400? Is that the same as Rollei RPX400/Agfa APX400/Kentmere 400? That's good stuff.

In that case - in general, the Rollei stuff is usually already 50-75% the price of a roll of HP5+ . 50 bucks is not *that* much cheaper.

However, if the Arista is only expired like one year, i'd still do it. 400 black and white stuff typically is fine for a couple years after expiration.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ugh, I wasted the first couple shots of a roll of Portra 800. It wasn’t loaded right, so I think I shot like a quadruple exposure on one frame, then to fix it I had to open the back and reload the film, which was already pulled out a couple frames before it let go of the winder.

So like 6-8 wasted frames. Thanks a lot, hands!!

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Ugh, I wasted the first couple shots of a roll of Portra 800. It wasn’t loaded right, so I think I shot like a quadruple exposure on one frame, then to fix it I had to open the back and reload the film, which was already pulled out a couple frames before it let go of the winder.

So like 6-8 wasted frames. Thanks a lot, hands!!

I once shot an entire roll of film on a new to me camera. Rewind system was broken and I ripped the roll of film in half.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
A good friend of mine who has never used a film camera before just ripped his first roll trying to rewind it. Then he opened that back and rewound the roll by hand in daylight. So at least you didn't do that.

Thankfully he's not discouraged and wants to keep trying film. I showed him how to use the camera but I guess I underestimated the bits of knowledge that I take for granted.

We're both in our early 30's and when he said he'd never used a film camera before I was like 'wtf did you do for the first half of your life'

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

LimaBiker posted:

What's arista 400? Is that the same as Rollei RPX400/Agfa APX400/Kentmere 400? That's good stuff.

In that case - in general, the Rollei stuff is usually already 50-75% the price of a roll of HP5+ . 50 bucks is not *that* much cheaper.

However, if the Arista is only expired like one year, i'd still do it. 400 black and white stuff typically is fine for a couple years after expiration.

I was told it is the same as Fomapan 400, another film I haven't used

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Ah. Fomapan 400 is actually not 400, it's just over 200 afaik. I'm currently shooting my first roll of it, at 200. So if you really want a 400 iso film, don't do it.

How long are the bulk reels? How much do you pay for a fresh reel? A fresh tin, 17m, of Fomapan 400 costs €32 at Macodirect. 30m (approx 100ft) is 55 euro.

HP5 is actually not too bad there at 9 euro for a 135 cartridge, with Foma 400 at just over 5 euro.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Honestly I shoot Fomapan 400 at 400 and it’s fine. It’ll be grainier than modern Tri-X or HP5 but will look closer to old Tri-X. You can shoot at 320 and dev at 400 if you want to bring out the shadows a tad more.

Like I get the “true ISO” thing but I think people worry about it too much and it’s honestly fine.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

You can definitely do it, but if you expect HP5 performance with regards to sensitivity, you're gonna be less satisfied with Foma.
In the same way i used to shoot APX/RPX400 at 400 and dev in Rodinal and be a bit unhappy about shadow detail. Because Rodinal reduces effective film speed. Ever since i shoot it at 250 when i dev in Rodinal, everything's been perfect.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I was going to bulk load HP5 because it is just so versatile. I'll often push to 1600. I haven't tried "pulling" back Delta 3200, but that's the other one I use often.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone here shooting an EOS1N?

I’m pretty heavily invested in the canon ecosystem having gone from a Rebel XS to a T3i and now to a 5D MK1

I love my ME Super, but it would be nice to be able to shoot film with all of my canon gear, along with having good autofocus and more advanced metering. My understanding is that the EOS1N is similarly beefy as and functionally similar to canons digital pro cameras like the 5D?

Anyone have any thoughts on them?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
The EOS-1N is a great camera. The only nitpicky thing about it is that all five autofocus points are in a single row rather than a traditional diamond pattern, but it's not something that makes/breaks the camera or shooting experience.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Stand dev is easy and looks good, but I only have one steel 120 reel and it's killing me to work my way through this backlog.

I've really come to hate my Paterson tank so instead I ordered more steel reels. I've got a 2L tank and 8x 35mm reels, but somehow only had the one for 120.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

afen posted:

It's not too shabby at all! I found it very easy to use, and most of the photos came ut great.

Portra 800:

UltraMax 400:

I really like these.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Thoughts on getting film through airport security (meaning X-rays)? I have a trip to LA coming up in a bit, and I plan to bring my ME Super and some rolls of film with, but I've never traveled with film before. Do I need to worry about running film through the x-ray scanners at the airport? If so, whats the recommended way to get it through security?

To circle way back on this, I went through security twice with a bag of film and both times, at MKE and at SAN they were happy to hand scan it with no drama around what ISO it was or anything like that.

San Diego even has signs up about asking to hand scan film if it’s over 800 iso.

Overall very easy, although I’m sure ymmv somewhat depending on how the particular TSA agent feels that day.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've dealt with airport security in SF, Chicago, Philly, NYC and Paris, in the last six months. I keep my film in a clear ziplock bag without canisters or packaging. Haven't had an issue getting it checked by hand.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Help! I keep finding weird film cameras at thrift stores!

I picked up an Olympus IS-1 today, it’s in fantastic shape and looks hardly used at all, which is why I decided to grab it.

It’s a bridge camera, so has the features of an SLR with a non-removable lens. Reviews of the day say it had really good optics for what it was, and a full manual mode makes it more interesting to me.

I loaded it up with some expired Kodak 400 and some batteries and all seems to work great on it, we’ll see how the pictures come out.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

That looks awesome, like a prop from an 80s sci fi movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Looks like someone put two different cameras in a teleporter and they got merged.

I love it.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
It looks so plain! Like someone removed all the labels. There's be all sorts of trim on it if it came out today. Also if anyone else was curious too, I looked it up and it looks like that model was released in 1990

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FreudianSlippers posted:

Looks like someone put two different cameras in a teleporter and they got merged.

I love it.

It really does look like the lovechild of a camcorder and an SLR, especially from the side that shows the extremely “your parents ancient shoulder-mounted VHS camcorder” zoom button

From the top it looks like some sort of land speed record sidecar

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

dema posted:

I really like these.

Thanks! I've been trying out several different types of films, and I think I like UltraMax 400 and Tmax 400 the best for "everyday" shots. I also really liked the Neopan, I'll have to try another roll for portraits.

Fuji Neopan Acros II 100:

Kodak Tmax 400:

CineStill 800T:

Kodak Portra 800:

Kodak UltraMax 400:

Kodak Tmax P3200:

afen fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 28, 2024

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Man I gotta get some Portra 800. Nice shots, friend.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Help! I keep finding weird film cameras at thrift stores!

I picked up an Olympus IS-1 today

I shot a whole roll of Kodak Max 400 through the IS-1 today. That’s a lot for me, usually rolls will last me a while.

It’s actually a pretty fun camera to shoot with. In P mode it’s as easy as any point n shoot, and in aperture priority and manual mode, it really does feel like an SLR.

It’s got a satisfying shutter/mirror thunk, and the autofocus while not the fastest, was quite accurate in my experience. It really only totally blew the focus one time, shooting out onto Lake Michigan where I think it was having trouble distinguishing how far the water was away from it, which I can understand given that the blue sky and blue water sort of meld together.

I was able to fix it by putting it in manual focus mode and just focusing out to infinity

The viewfinder is quite useful as well, with the aperture, shutter speed, exposure, focus lock and a few other things displayed in it.

I’m not super stoked about the metering display in the viewfinder, it’s simply a + or - for over/underexposure when you’re in manual mode. No indication of how many steps you’re over or under exposed, so sometimes you have to adjust quite a bit to get the exposure right. There is also no way to manually set the ISO. You can tell the camera to do exposure compensation, which sort of covers for that, but this probably isn’t the ideal camera for pushing film or shooting really expired film.

Overall, as a bridge camera, it was designed with P (auto) mode in mind, and it really wants you to shoot that way. It will absolutely let you do everything in manual mode (short of setting ISO), but it’s easiest in P mode. I didn’t get to play much with the macro modes, it can shoot macros both in wide and telephoto, and is apparently pretty decent at it.

I’ll probably load it back up tonight and shoot some more with it, because overall it’s a pretty fun camera to carry around. I might try some low light stuff because the manual shutter speeds go to something crazy like 30 seconds.

For a cheap thrift store find, I’m happy!

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 29, 2024

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Admiral Bosch posted:

Man I gotta get some Portra 800. Nice shots, friend.

Thank you! Yeah, Portra 800 is a great film, but I like the punchy colours of UltraMax 400 better, even though the Portra looks more "correct".

I've been spending way too much money on this, but I love film photography! A wonderful creative outlet, and I'll have the memories forever.

afen fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 29, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Boy howdy am I jealous of that leather Olympus bag. That’s awesome

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just got my grandfather's Kodak Retina IIa from service from Paul Barden and it looks great! My grandfather used this thing when he was stationed in Guam during the Korean war. It's a neat little folder with bellows. It's small and hefty and apparently it was one of the better cameras Kodak ever made, comparable with Contax & Leicas. I'm undecided on what film stock I should run through it first. Porta 400, Ektar 100, Fomapan 100 or 400TX? Im leaning towards Fomapan since that has a old timey look and I've never tried it before.

I know my grandfather shot a lot of Kodachrome through this thing because he left a lot of cool slides. I have a few digitized but I don't remember where I saved them. I may have posted this one ages ago I can't remember.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s a very cool shot

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Oh wow, that looks amazing. I have a retina iia somewhere that works but is in pretty poor condition. How much did it cost to cla?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks I'll try and find some of his other pics. He had some nice ones for sure.

The CLA on the camera was $270 with shipping. Paul installed a new frame counter spring for $45 and replaced some other worn part for $10. The camera runs spectacularly so far. There is some slight oxidation on some metal bits and I asked him to pretty much not touch the leatherette since I liked the patina. I should take a better picture of it because the pic I posted kinda sucks.

It's a fun camera. It's probably the only point and shoot camera Ive used in the last 20 years and I was surprised how delicate the shutter feels when it snaps. There's nothing to feel at all, no comparison to the ka-thunk of an SLR.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Next weekend I'm developing the roll I recently shot in my Retina (I), and the mystery roll. The camera seems to function really well, but I'm not sure how accurate the shutter time is. The camera I really need to get worked on is the Zeiss Contarex. I'd love to get the 55mm f/1.4 serviced because it is so loving stiff. It takes great photos, but it is so much work, and everything about my FM is so much easier.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I have a Retina II from '49 - it's a great camera overall but it has a 50mm f2 Rodenstock Heligon so it suffers from flare at times.

Extremely compact and a great one to carry around for candids and street. Bit harder to zone focus as it's got a scale on the bottom.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Anyone here shooting an EOS1N?

I’m pretty heavily invested in the canon ecosystem having gone from a Rebel XS to a T3i and now to a 5D MK1

I love my ME Super, but it would be nice to be able to shoot film with all of my canon gear, along with having good autofocus and more advanced metering. My understanding is that the EOS1N is similarly beefy as and functionally similar to canons digital pro cameras like the 5D?

Anyone have any thoughts on them?

So…………

I may have put a lowball offer in on a 1N on eBay and then completely forgot about it. Turns out the seller bit on it and I guess I’ll have a 1N in a couple days.

The price they accepted was low enough that they either don’t know what the camera is, or I’ll have a “BC” error to troubleshoot when I get it. It’s a roll of the dice either way but hopefully I’ll come out of it with a working 1N :iiam:

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
I have an couple of the film EF Canons, an EOS 3, an Elan 7, and an Elan 7ne. I got the Elan 7 first locally off Craigslist but the flex cable connecting to the back snapped on me once I got it home due to disuse, so I could only use it in AV/TV/P modes which annoyed me enough to replace it recently with an Elan 7ne from eBay (which was also mis-sold as a Elan 7, since it generally goes for a good bit more since it is newer and has eye-focusing). They were both like $50-65 each so quite a bargain for film cameras. The EOS 3 only cost me $300 and came with a big-rear end flash that I haven't used.

The EOS 3 is the most similar to the EOS 1N in terms of size and probably reliability too. I took the EOS 3 on a trip to Iceland and it's been my go-to film camera for bad weather forecasts, I've been able to use it in pretty cold weather and it can handle a decent sprinkle. I think the EOS 1v is the biggest step up with weather resistance but it's a fair bit heavier. The meter is really good and I had no issues with any of the shots I took, even on slide film. The AF is also excellent, the EOS 3 has like 45 AF points though so it's a little more advanced there than the 1N. And the flex cable connecting to the back isn't exposed, overall it feels very solidly built and hefty in the hands. My one beef is that in comparison to the Elans, it has a really sensitive shutter button, like there wasn't even a firm half-press to do an AF lock before it would fire off a shot. It's not like Olympus XA levels of "accidental press" but I'm not really wanting to retrain myself to use the AE lock on the back as an AF lock through the custom functions. Not sure if the 1N or 1V have that issue but the Elan 7 shutter buttons are much better.

BC error should just be the low battery alarm if it's the same as my EOS 3, unfortunately the 2CR5s are pretty expensive and I actually find they don't last very long if you're using a lens with IS and all that stuff. I definitely keep the batteries out of the camera when I'm storing it for more than a few days.

Anyways my priorities have mostly shifted with the EOS system, so I haven't used the EOS 3 in a while. I've been liking the light weight of the Elan 7ne and the 40mm STM. I've been tempted by the 24-105mm which would make a lot more sense on a bigger body like the EOS 3, but I still don't think I'd reach for it as much when in that weight/size class of cameras I have bigger cameras that I'd rather reach for. It would be a great combo for crappy weather but I'm not shooting in those conditions willingly often.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh god I have no idea what I'm doing!!

Definitely works, powerful Soviet energy, every function feels like a worker and peasant revolution:

Probably works? Much more slick and German-feeling to operate. In hindsight I should not have put a second roll through it before the first one comes back:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Got this off a friend to run some rolls through, may end up in my collection but who knows, I’ve always been IIIA curious.

A third of a roll in and it’s very nice to shoot except for the coupled exposure system. Just need to set aperture first and then speed. The double stroke trigger advance feels surprisingly natural and I don’t miss the more traditional advance lever. Viewfinder is huge, parallax corrected and a vibrant patch.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Rollei 16 & wide converter with Double-X

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Beve Stuscemi posted:

So…………

I may have put a lowball offer in on a 1N on eBay and then completely forgot about it. Turns out the seller bit on it and I guess I’ll have a 1N in a couple days.

The price they accepted was low enough that they either don’t know what the camera is, or I’ll have a “BC” error to troubleshoot when I get it. It’s a roll of the dice either way but hopefully I’ll come out of it with a working 1N :iiam:

Weeeeeell..........

I was right. I fired the camera up and was immediately greeted with a BC error as soon as I tried to fire the shutter. I followed the usual youtube solution of "take the front case off and smack the magnet". That worked for a couple of shots, then it would jam up again. What finally seems to have fixed it was spraying a bit of contact cleaner on the magnet and then letting it fire about 100 times. It jammed once or twice right in the beginning, but once the contact cleaner worked its way in, it was fine and now can fire without jamming.

I have two remaining issues, one is that the in-viewfinder meter has an issue displaying properly, part of it is bright and part of it is dim. I think the actual meter is fine, just the display for it is wonky. And the back dial doesnt work. This sucks, and I'll see if there is a way to take the film back apart to clean it, but otherwise film backs dont seem to be too expensive on ebay

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 1, 2024