Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The vid is even more salty. :drat:

Perun does good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Just Another Lurker posted:

The vid is even more salty. :drat:

Perun does good work.

Failed to mention Estonian independence war being won since st petersburg was sieged, one of the biggest humiliations in russian history.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Samovar posted:

Groznyj Grad! You know, in Tselinoyarsk?

Well yeah of course that counts. I totally know where and what that is, but you should explain it for the poster above me.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Someone needs to remind Russia that it was ISIS funded by the CIA with intel from the UK who did this.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Deus Ex Macklemore posted:

Well yeah of course that counts. I totally know where and what that is, but you should explain it for the poster above me.

https://metalgear.fandom.com/wiki/Groznyj_Grad

For whatever reason they wanted to set MGS3 a) in the USSR and b) in the jungle, so they just set it in a Soviet jungle and never looked back.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah but remember how they absolutely weren't going to blame this on Ukrainians and how this was just an unfortunate and unforeseen terrorist attack?

At this point it's 100% obvious that at best they fully knew the attack was coming (thanks to actually functional, not-filled-with-clowns intelligence services warning them) and chose to let it happen because they could use it politically to attack Ukraine and shore up Putin's support.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1774739172978201063#m
Mein monke.....

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

YLE news mentioned that it was just some junk warehouse at the workshop premises, not the actual production facilities, unfortunately.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Johnson Outlines Plan for Ukraine Aid; House Could Act Within Weeks

quote:

Speaker Mike Johnson has begun publicly laying out potential conditions for extending a fresh round of American military assistance to Ukraine, the strongest indication yet that he plans to push through the House a package that many Republicans view as toxic and have tried to block.

His terms may include tying the aid for Kyiv to a measure that would force President Biden to reverse a moratorium on liquefied natural gas exports, something that Republicans would see as a political victory against the Democratic president’s climate agenda.

“When we return after this work period, we’ll be moving a product, but it’s going to have some important innovations,” Mr. Johnson said on Sunday in an interview on Fox News.

That strongly suggests that the aid package for Ukraine, which has been stalled on Capitol Hill for months amid Republican resistance, could clear Congress within weeks. It enjoys strong support among Democrats and a large coalition of mainstream Republicans, and the main obstacle standing in its way in the House has been Mr. Johnson’s refusal to bring it up in the face of vehement hard-right opposition in the G.O.P. to sending more aid to Kyiv.

Now, the question appears to be not whether Mr. Johnson will allow aid to come to the floor, but in what form and when.

Republicans (at least some of them) might finally stop blocking aid

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Can you even call them "mainstream" republicans anymore?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah you have them and "the twitter faction".

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

spankmeister posted:

The intra-party slapfight between the plutocrat "conservacucks"/never trumpers (who suck and have evil but comprehensible motivations and can be bribed) versus the pants shittingly insane death cultists is still going on. Hopefully the ukraine bill works out.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 1, 2024

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Deus Ex Macklemore posted:

I mean, where are the jungles even?

Something something the Russians used Agent Orange(in this instance it's Donald Trump) :chaostrump:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

spankmeister posted:

This time before the next presidential election is the last hurrah of the Republicans who remember the "military-industry complex good" and "anti-Russia better", and the Trumpists who try to elect the first emperor, who basically is pro-Russia by either actively working against, or neglecting to help Ukraine, European parts of NATO, or anyone in EU.

If and hopefully when Trump loses, all sorts of hell breaks loose, hopefully it just causes the GOP to split in half. If Trump wins, its WW3 time in Europe because Lithuania will be invaded the moment when it is certain that US troops will not intervene even if they still are in Europe.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 1, 2024

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

quote:

“When we return after this work period, we’ll be moving a product, but it’s going to have some important innovations,” Mr. Johnson said on Sunday in an interview on Fox News.

lmao pure-strain LinkedIn speech

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

HappyHippo posted:

Johnson Outlines Plan for Ukraine Aid; House Could Act Within Weeks

Republicans (at least some of them) might finally stop blocking aid

Honestly of all the things to tie it to LNG exports isn't a bad one, they still should just pass the aid alone.

I thought that was a turbo dumb move, and not to debate climate much, prototypical of a lot of the movement (and other movements in general) it's another letting the perfect get in the way of the good/ Sure we want to stop using fossil fuels but LNG is way loving better than coal. Also US LNG exports directly gently caress Russia, not to mention it's just a good thing to do since Europe closed out a lot of Russian gas at a significant economic hit.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Does anyone have a link to a good primer on the LNG ban situation? This one went under my radar apparently.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Sure we want to stop using fossil fuels but LNG is way loving better than coal.

It actually does not seem to be, a good primer on the issues: https://youtu.be/K2oL4SFwkkw

Tl;dw: leaks are self reported and gas companies have no incentive to report them, the approximation is that overall LNG has actually released more greenhouse emissions than it has saved, shipping it makes it even worse.

The current ban is basically: no more construction for LNG export infrastructure will be permitted "until the climate effects are analyzed".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

deimos posted:

It actually does not seem to be, a good primer on the issues: https://youtu.be/K2oL4SFwkkw

Tl;dw: leaks are self reported and gas companies have no incentive to report them, the approximation is that overall LNG has actually released more greenhouse emissions than it has saved, shipping it makes it even worse.

The current ban is basically: no more construction for LNG export infrastructure will be permitted "until the climate effects are analyzed".

Gas is problematic but the problem is that this seriously fucks over anyone counting on exports, like uhhh Europe that's now without russian gas lol. Germany in particular was going to use more gas to replace coal until renewables & "green hydrogen" replace it. Oops.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's cool we now get our gas from Qatar and Azerbaijan, two totally cool democracies without any human rights issues.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

spankmeister posted:

It's cool we now get our gas from Qatar and Azerbaijan, two totally cool democracies without any human rights issues.

The latter of which buys and launders Russian gas, too.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Gas is problematic but the problem is that this seriously fucks over anyone counting on exports, like uhhh Europe that's now without russian gas lol. Germany in particular was going to use more gas to replace coal until renewables & "green hydrogen" replace it. Oops.

But... The US hasn't banned exports... The ban is on *new* permit approval on LNG export infrastructure. Not even construction. Right now the US is the biggest exporter and *approvals* that have already been granted will increase export capacity at least 2x.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think that became clear fairly early when they were delivering more than they can actually produce themselves 🥲

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

deimos posted:

But... The US hasn't banned exports... The ban is on *new* permit approval on LNG export infrastructure. Not even construction. Right now the US is the biggest exporter and *approvals* that have already been granted will increase export capacity at least 2x.

loose lips sink stupid ships :ssh:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

deimos posted:

Will it be enough to meet the demand in the near future? I don't know off the top of my head, but e.g. they're still building new terminals and plants:

quote:

Germany is set to hold auctions to support the construction of new gas-fired power plants in the short term, which would then be converted to run on hydrogen in the mid-to-late 2030s, the ruling coalition said. The plants are considered crucial to guarantee electricity supply security as the share of intermittent renewable energy increases and coal is phased out
https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news/germany-hold-tenders-new-gas-power-plants-soon-promises-capacity-mechanism

quote:

FRANKFURT, Sept 20 (Reuters) - A new liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminal at Mukran on Ruegen Island in the German Baltic Sea should be operational from the first quarter of 2024, Gascade, the pipeline firm building its onshore connection, said.
Operator Deutsche ReGas last month reported that suppliers have booked 4 billion cubic metres (bcm) of capacity for 10 years per annum at Mukran, where the company wants to pull together two floating storage and reception units (FSRUs) for deliveries to the mainland.
https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/germany-builds-up-lng-import-terminals-2023-08-09/

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

zone posted:

Where did the last 150,000 go? and the ones before that? :thunk:

a beautiful farm where they can play fetch and get ear-scratches all day

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Buce posted:

a beautiful farm where they can play fetch and get ear-scratches all day

Just don’t tell them it’s their ear that needs to be fetched before it can be scratched.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

Will it be enough to meet the demand in the near future? I don't know off the top of my head, but e.g. they're still building new terminals and plants:

https://www.cleanenergywire.org/news/germany-hold-tenders-new-gas-power-plants-soon-promises-capacity-mechanism

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/germany-builds-up-lng-import-terminals-2023-08-09/

My math may be way off, but the US has permitted export capacity (ie. poo poo that will get built) up to 41 billion cubic feet per day. That's slightly more than 1 billion cubic meter per day. So about 10 times Germany's import capacity. 5 times Germany's planned 2028 import capacity.

What bothers me is all this talk about permanent infrastructure for what's considered to be a "temporary" stopgap before renewables.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

pro starcraft loser posted:

Telling the country giving you the vast amount of money, armament, and (assumingly) intel to do what they want OR ELSE is never a good idea. The Right is going to run with this.

This is the same reason I vote against any left of center candidate during the Democratic Party primaries. I don't want to give the right wingers the ability to call us communists and unamerican :smuggo:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

deimos posted:

What bothers me is all this talk about permanent infrastructure for what's considered to be a "temporary" stopgap before renewables.

if there was a guarantee that all of that stuff would be built, then yeah, this would suck unbelievable levels of poo poo. renewables have hit the point though where they’re largely the safer better investment. not saying it won’t happen, but it’s unlikely that big money is going to purposely choose a worse return out of spite. it’s also likely that the risk/reward scenario for renewables will continue to improve. a gamble for sure, but in that light this could be a reasonable concession

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

deimos posted:

My math may be way off, but the US has permitted export capacity (ie. poo poo that will get built) up to 41 billion cubic feet per day. That's slightly more than 1 billion cubic meter per day. So about 10 times Germany's import capacity. 5 times Germany's planned 2028 import capacity.

Because Germany will never get off Gas. Ever. They've spent $500 billion and barely scratched their emissions versus France. Their fear of nuclear is going to keep them latched on Natural Gas, and probably coal, for a long time.

TrashMammal posted:

if there was a guarantee that all of that stuff would be built, then yeah, this would suck unbelievable levels of poo poo. renewables have hit the point though where they’re largely the safer better investment. not saying it won’t happen, but it’s unlikely that big money is going to purposely choose a worse return out of spite. it’s also likely that the risk/reward scenario for renewables will continue to improve. a gamble for sure, but in that light this could be a reasonable concession

Its not going to happen. Germany has a huge need for energy and Renewables just do not replace fossil generating capabilities at the rate or size needed. This is why we're seeing an increase in interest in Nuclear.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

loving Merkel and the Nuklearausstieg. Worst decision of the 21st century. That and Nort Stream.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

spankmeister posted:

loving Merkel and the Nuklearausstieg. Worst decision of the 21st century. That and Nort Stream.

You don't understand, an unrelated plant halfway around the world got hit by a tsunami and earthquake. Very common in Germany

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

But all that cheap energy - every mid tier accountant can now afford a Portuguese holiday villa by age 50, if they work hard!

That's prosperity. The slow and permanent death of democracy is a small price to pay.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Like Even California is going "Wait a second, if we close Diablo Canyon, we're gonna need to burn more gas, and that's exactly what happened in New York with Indian Point's closure. gently caress. We can't do that."

California of all places.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Like Even California is going "Wait a second, if we close Diablo Canyon, we're gonna need to burn more gas, and that's exactly what happened in New York with Indian Point's closure. gently caress. We can't do that."

California of all places.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

It's kind of an understated miracle that Congress managed to push through enough funds to keep America's aging nuclear fleet operating for a few more decades. I think the U.S. is even bringing the Palisades plant in Michigan back online next year, assuming the Inflation Reduction Act isn't scrapped to pay for tax cuts for the rich. I was kind of expecting all those plants to just close and never be replaced back before 2020.

There was some early talk about converting retired coal plants into small-module reactors, but it looks like natural gas is more likely at least in my area.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

which ep is this

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://x.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1774042604864237887?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

which ep is this

The one where Bart gets a driver's license and goes on a road trip.