Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Uglycat posted:

Remember "sudden unintended acceleration" or whatever?

Can we get some more context or details?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Sucks to be Florida, couldn't happen to a nicer state

Florida is so hosed. All of this on top of the mass exodus of labor in response to the immigrant law fuckery bringing construction and maintenance to a screeching halt is just :discourse:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

lobster shirt posted:

how the gently caress is an insurer demanding someone replace a roof because it's more than four years old. is that going to be a regular thing?

Conventional asphalt shingle roofs are prone to progressive failure in a hurricane. One damaged shingle from say a wind blown projectile in a storm leaves it vulnerable to the next.

Houses take a beating in FL. The insurer probably doesn't want to take the chance of arranging an inspection that doesn't catch something. New roofs, however, have less damage and more elasticity to resist flaking off under wind.

This is purely a function of less subsidy for insurance and increased storm recurrence and severity.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It fits all of the patterns of this to me. We don't really understand mass hysteria events that well, but this is a classic case of that, but we don't want to admit that professional spies/government agents are as susceptible to this as anyone else

One uniquely frustrating bit too is that it's squishy. When they want it to be scary and a massive conspiracy they focus on how many different locations got hit and how many people reported symptoms. When that led to jokes about it being hangovers and mass hysteria, they narrow down to the couple scary cases and act like they're the "real" thing that they're talking about.

Like, I don't know about this round of the story, but I remember the last time 60 Minutes did this the closest "concrete" story was a scary one about a dude's vision going to poo poo and his head feeling like it was going to explode. He barely got into an ER feeling like he was going to die. It was horrible...and people who read it noted that it pretty much matched up with a sudden migraine with aura. And that sometimes people just sort of get one randomly, and sometimes it's the start of a bad time and sometimes it's just really lovely luck and you never get one again :shrug:. Or it can be a secret energy weapon fired at a government functionary on US soil, which at least now gets you paid, so go for it.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

A big flaming stink posted:

It is a pretty terrible look to ban discussion of this when evidence of mass executions, including of surgeons and children, in al shifa are coming to light, just so you know

It would raise too many reports from the pro-genocide side trying to shut down discussion. Better to just close entirely until this blows over.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

haveblue posted:

The thin line between cops and referees has finally been erased

Tired: VAR for professional soccer.
Wired: VAR for street crime.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Insurers can absolutely place conditions on insuring something. None of them are compelled to issue any particular policy and they will see an item that is very likely to lead to a large claim in the near future as a bad deal. That includes things that were fine and eminently insurable when they were installed 4 years ago

Maybe we should have made society-wide changes long ago to curb the increase in extreme coastal weather phenomena, but, welp

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

selec posted:

Can we get some more context or details?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_unintended_acceleration

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Well that’s not really making your comment very clear. What does that have to do with Havana Syndrome? Like an alternate explanation or…?

Re: Florida prices, home insurance, etc.

I’ve been thinking we’ll have nationalized homeowners insurance long before we never get m4a, and it will be a coalition of homeowners in red gulf states and western blue states that make it happen.

They will force the rest of us to subsidize their views before we can get cancer treatment without going bankrupt.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

Insurers can absolutely place conditions on insuring something. None of them are compelled to issue any particular policy and they will see an item that is very likely to lead to a large claim in the near future as a bad deal. That includes things that were fine and eminently insurable when they were installed 4 years ago

Maybe we should have made society-wide changes long ago to curb the increase in extreme coastal weather phenomena, but, welp

Um I think you'll find that terms like "global warming" "climate change" and "rising sea levels" are bad for business and thus illegal

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

selec posted:

Well that’s not really making your comment very clear. What does that have to do with Havana Syndrome? Like an alternate explanation or…?
It's All Your Fault: The DOT Renders Its Verdict on Toyota's Unintended-Acceleration Scare should answer your question. The poster is talking about contagious hysteria.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DarkHorse posted:

Um I think you'll find that terms like "global warming" "climate change" and "rising sea levels" are bad for business and thus illegal

I hope you cleared the :10bux: with your budget department, Mr. DeSantis

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Rebel Blob posted:

If a US congressman remarks that we should treat Gaza like "Nagasaki and Hiroshima," is that permissible US current events or verboten I/P discussion?

https://twitter.com/swilkinsonbc/status/1774141298636685639

But don't worry, according to the NYT we took his comments totally out of context, Representative Walberg's office provided us with an audio clip to give us the REAL story. It's literally the exact same audio as that video clip with zero differences but we're just accepting him at his word without further comment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/31/us/politics/tim-walberg-gaza-nagasaki-hiroshima.html

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
I hopped into the USCE thread to see if there was any mention of that attack by a US Ally on a foreign consulate. There was not, and so I present a news article about it. I personally think it is relevant to the US Current Events, as the specific ally famously has a large lobbying presence in the US, and as such, a war between that ally and the other sovereign nation has the very real possibility of bringing the US into an armed conflict.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tnega posted:

I hopped into the USCE thread to see if there was any mention of that attack by a US Ally on a foreign consulate. There was not, and so I present a news article about it. I personally think it is relevant to the US Current Events, as the specific ally famously has a large lobbying presence in the US, and as such, a war between that ally and the other sovereign nation has the very real possibility of bringing the US into an armed conflict.

When the US assassinated Soleimani Iran reacted with several missile attacks on a base (bases?) in Iraq that were housing US troops, and they were on such high alert IIRC a civilian passenger plane was shot down also. This attack seems more severe than when the US killed Soleimani though so yeah I'd say it's worth discussing how Iran reacts to this.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Tnega posted:

Israel isn't a US ally, they are a regional partner. It's a technicality if we're referring to the US' unabashed support of their genocidal campaign but in this specific case it's actually important. We have no mutual defense treaties with Israel and no formal obligation to become directly involved in any conflicts they may enter.

Not that I think there's zero chance we insert ourselves or that Iran retailiates directly against US military in the region, to be clear. Just that there're no formal obligations like there is under Article 5 with NATO or our mutual defense agreement with Japan.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/election-forecast.html

538 just released its 2024 forecast

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

well, you can dislike nate, but you can't argue with his insight

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A big flaming stink posted:

It is a pretty terrible look to ban discussion of this when evidence of mass executions, including of surgeons and children, in al shifa are coming to light, just so you know

I've asked Koos to take a look at this thread and the policy. As probably the mod most directly involved in posting in the thread and trying to keep it on track on the ground, for whatever good that did, I... have no strong opinion on the closure other than that it would be nice if it was temporary (by virtue of us getting more manpower and/or coming up with a way to make it less of a trash fire).

I'd like it if further discussion of the policy be in SAD, or with koos, or with admins, or via the admin email posted in SAD, for those who don't want to post publicly in SAD and who also don't have PMs because lol legacy forums design.

e: lol, now that's a solid redtext av, good work

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

“The problem is, when we alienate protected classes, it sounds like a good sound bite

Holy poo poo Florida. Quiet part out loud much? Let Poseidon claim that cursed land, it's the best thing for everyone else.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

At last, I feel the stirrings of faint hope for the future

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Checks out

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Arc Light posted:

At last, I feel the stirrings of faint hope for the future

Like the faint light provided by an 10w incandescent bulb in the age of LEDs.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Yeah at this point I’ll take it. Besides, no use fighting against 100% of people.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

well, you can dislike nate, but you can't argue with his insight

Nate got fired from 538 like a year ago or something

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

rscott posted:

Nate got fired from 538 like a year ago or something

well at least he still has his good looks going for him

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

punishedkissinger posted:

this topic is prohibited in D&D. Please keep the discussion limited to the paranoid delusions of the state department thank you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Rebel Blob posted:

If a US congressman remarks that we should treat Gaza like "Nagasaki and Hiroshima," is that permissible US current events or verboten I/P discussion?

https://twitter.com/swilkinsonbc/status/1774141298636685639
They are just saying the quiet part out loud.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

quote:

The Biden administration is close to approving the sale of as many as 50 American-made F-15 fighter jets to [redacted], in a deal expected to be worth more than $18 billion, according to three people familiar with the matter.

The transaction, which would amount to the largest US foreign military sale to [redacted] since the country went to war with [redacted] on [redacted], comes as the administration is also expected to notify Congress soon of a large new sale of precision-guided munitions kits to [redacted], the people said.

Biden preparing for the largest weapons sales so far to that place that shall not be named.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Kagrenak posted:

Israel isn't a US ally, they are a regional partner. It's a technicality if we're referring to the US' unabashed support of their genocidal campaign but in this specific case it's actually important. We have no mutual defense treaties with Israel and no formal obligation to become directly involved in any conflicts they may enter.

Not that I think there's zero chance we insert ourselves or that Iran retailiates directly against US military in the region, to be clear. Just that there're no formal obligations like there is under Article 5 with NATO or our mutual defense agreement with Japan.

That technicality didn't stop sending two carrier groups to threaten other parties, or from directly contributing to the genocide with intel, arms, and diplomatic cover. Biden's admin is directly culpable and the reality is it already has a tangible effect with how polarized the issue is with Dem voters.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Baronash posted:

Re: I/P chat:

It’s loving pathetic that you guys won’t allow discussion of massacres and genocide that America is directly facilitating.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

I would not recommend searching "World Kitchen" on any social media, because our "regional partner" that shall not be named did a drone strike that killed five of the organization's staff members, and there are some absolutely :nms: images and videos floating around.

B B fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 2, 2024

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Rigel posted:

Koos was pretty clear in his post, we simply do not have the capacity to moderate that topic right now.

koos wasn't that clear about the reasoning, and the post in question is now in a locked thread that has been kicked way down the list by open threads getting new posts. putting up an announcement clearly stating that the discussion exhausts the volunteer moderators would probably help. alternately having a recruitment drive for IKs willing to babysit the I/P thread and smother slapfights as they begin

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
I don't think anyone said anything about not naming Israel/Palestine, just not talking about it. Which we are now anyway.

(Because we should be, and it's absurd to ban it as a topic of discussion.)

12 years a lurker
Aug 17, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

how the gently caress is an insurer demanding someone replace a roof because it's more than four years old. is that going to be a regular thing?

Unlikely to be a regular thing. It was a local response to a local form of fraud:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/roofing-scams-florida-property-insurance-hurricane-rcna29649

quote:

The scam works like this: Contractors knock on doors offering to inspect homeowners’ roofs for storm damage. They say they can help get a roof replacement covered by insurance, and they persuade the homeowners to sign away their rights to file the claims themselves. The contractors then file fraudulent damage claims, and when the insurance companies balk, the contractors sue. The insurance companies usually settle the disputed claims for many times more than the original claim. Most of that money goes to the contractors’ lawyers in the form of a “contingency fee multiplier.” Some lawyers file hundreds of such lawsuits a year.

Companies were unable in practice to do anything about the fraudulent claims because if they tried and lost they would get hit with an even bigger inflated legal bill. The state fixed the problem on all sides by limiting the shift in legal liability, making it illegal for roofers to solicit people to get new insurance-paid roofs with an offer to waive the deductible, and banning insurers from refusing to issue a policy based on a roof less than 15 years old.

That solved the roof issue but still leaves the problem of rising disaster risk in a world of global warming.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We had a roofing company coming around and doing that scam in this neighborhood some years back

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Kith posted:

koos wasn't that clear about the reasoning, and the post in question is now in a locked thread that has been kicked way down the list by open threads getting new posts. putting up an announcement clearly stating that the discussion exhausts the volunteer moderators would probably help. alternately having a recruitment drive for IKs willing to babysit the I/P thread and smother slapfights as they begin

I believe I was very clear that the thread was closed because our lack of capacity to moderate it caused it to fall below D&D standards. I'd like to have it back up as soon as possible and I'm currently looking for an IK. I'd also appreciate any suggestions for one via PMs, though not in the thread, as I must again ask everyone not to interrupt debate and discussion to express discontentment with forum issues.

Atahualpa posted:

I don't think anyone said anything about not naming Israel/Palestine, just not talking about it. Which we are now anyway.

(Because we should be, and it's absurd to ban it as a topic of discussion.)

That part I probably wasn't clear enough about. The thread closure should not be dodged by discussing the topic in and of itself elsewhere, but insofar as it's relevant to another thread (such as effects the conflict has on other countries in the ME thread, or America's role in it here in USCE), that is still allowed. Tnega's post is fine, for example.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Israel just bombed an Iranian Consulate in Syria in a clear move to escalate the genocide into a regional conflict that would draw in the United States on their side, almost exactly at the same time as the Biden administration finalizes a deal to send them billions of dollars in more weapons. How do we discuss this in such a way that it doesn’t fall below “D&D standards”?

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

lobster shirt posted:

Homeowner insurance in Florida is uniquely hosed because there's rampant fraud where contractors trick the insurance company into replacing the roof even if it doesn't actually need it. Florida government can't crack down on it because fraud-committing construction/contractors are a core Republican constituency. This leads to more insurers kicking people off their coverage or exiting the state entirely, so more people end up on Citizens, the state home insurance program. Citizens ranks swelling is causing problems in the reinsurance market (insurance for the insurance companies), which drives up costs, which helps perpetuate the cycle.

That's a highly abbreviated version of it, if you want to read more about it, there's been some very lengthy articles published the past couple years about the fragile state of reinsurance around Florida homeowners and how 1 bad hurricane landfall (strong storm, expensive strike area, both) could just completely ruin things. It really can't be overstated how the failure to properly attack fraud has created a very precarious situation down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

It's too bad an entire generation was brainwashed into hating income taxes. Maybe Floridians can appreciate this better now, but if your taxes are tied to your income, then they can't raise suddenly from market conditions without you also making more money to pay them. Not so for property or sales taxes.