Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

I'm pretty sure Vallejo decal softener and Decal Fix are exactly the same stuff as Microsol/set.

It probably is, but seems to be less goopy in consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Decals are so last spring's fashion. For space marine shoulder pads at least, it's really easy to find the files online for every chapter's shoulder icon and I use a resin printer to print up just the shoulder pads with the icons as raised, physical details then I give them a layer of paint on top of the raised surface. I then usually tear the model apart and drop the ruined bodies around the bases of my Tyranids where they belong but that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

bird food bathtub posted:

Decals are so last spring's fashion. For space marine shoulder pads at least, it's really easy to find the files online for every chapter's shoulder icon and I use a resin printer to print up just the shoulder pads with the icons as raised, physical details then I give them a layer of paint on top of the raised surface. I then usually tear the model apart and drop the ruined bodies around the bases of my Tyranids where they belong but that's just me. Your mileage may vary.

This is in the same spirit as "just spend $300 on a thing you don't have space for, don't have time to calibrate, don't have time to trouble shoot, and don't feel like bearing people talk about as an easy solution to anything."

It's basically on par with "get good at free hand"

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

This is in the same spirit as "just spend $300 on a thing you don't have space for, don't have time to calibrate, don't have time to trouble shoot, and don't feel like bearing people talk about as an easy solution to anything."

It's basically on par with "get good at free hand"

I think their statement was pretty obviously a bit tongue in cheek.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Download an stl of a better joke

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just like regular printers, the best way to use a 3D printer is to be friends with someone who has one

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

moths posted:

If you have a mind to, you've already got a Militia list.

Vostroyans seem perfect for the provinces Armory of Old Night and Warrior Ellie. The models are basically in carapace and have lasrifles (instead of lasguns).

Plus there's something extra tragic in being Vostroyans that were committed to the Heresy - and then forgotten so hard that their homeworld still pays the price.

It's my understanding that every world was required to provide forces for the Crusade, it's just Guilliman was asking for additional forces given the whole traitorous tomfoolery going on that the Vostroyans refused to provide. So there's nothing saying Vostroyans weren't already involved.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Just like regular printers, the best way to use a 3D printer is to be friends with someone who has one

That is true! I print stuff for people all the time and it is never an issue. But for those without friends with printers Etsy also has a lot stores that provide printed parts as well, and they typically are not that expensive compared to official upgrade sprues.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

moths posted:

If you have a mind to, you've already got a Militia list.

Vostroyans seem perfect for the provinces Armory of Old Night and Warrior Ellie. The models are basically in carapace and have lasrifles (instead of lasguns).

Plus there's something extra tragic in being Vostroyans that were committed to the Heresy - and then forgotten so hard that their homeworld still pays the price.

Thanks so much for this, this is exactly what I'm going to do. There are a couple folks in my area that play HH and I know they want more people, I'm sure they'll thank you too!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wonderful! I think you're really going to enjoy it - it's a totally different experience, despite all the superficial similarities.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

it's a sign

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So GW's twitter account still runs on winter time, because they posted the tweet for next week's pre-orders an hour early. The article link was dead, but there was still a pretty decent hint in the post itself.

The Night Lords vs Mandrakes KT box is going up for pre-order next Saturday.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They're really trickling out those LVO announcements, still a Custodes box to go too.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Virtual Russian posted:

Thanks so much for this, this is exactly what I'm going to do. There are a couple folks in my area that play HH and I know they want more people, I'm sure they'll thank you too!

The Geno 5-2 Chiliad from Legion as described would be very similar to the Vostroyans with the big fur shakos, coats and armour.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/03/31/sunday-preview-nightmares-pyres-and-gnomes/

So yeah, Kill Team: Nightmare goes up for pre-order next Saturday.

But you can also get display boxes* for your favourite space marine models.

*Not limited to Space Marine models, will also come in 30 different sizes.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
My Imperial Fists with decaled shoulder pads look way better than my Tor Garadon with a sculpted one but that might just be me

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Professor Shark posted:

That friend is me. I have an Anycubic Photon D2, I just need to get it set up with a enclosure and then I'll start selling whatever to people in the thread lol

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Half of my friends have 3D printers which means I get "You know I could just print that" with no actual follow through all the time now, it's great

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

smug jeebus posted:

My Imperial Fists with decaled shoulder pads look way better than my Tor Garadon with a sculpted one but that might just be me

Sculpted pads need you to be decently good at painting to look good - you still need to be able to paint all the details in neatly. While it's not a problem with printed pads, the plastic pads often have a degree of smearing that you'll need to compensate for if you want them to look really good. GW decals are also really good, even the regular stuff in the boxes is often more detailed and colourful than most decals you get in scale model kits.You can absolutely get printed pads looking just as good as the decals but you could also just spend 10% of the time and effort to achieve the same result with a decal.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I legitimately think decaled pads look better than even good 3D printed ones. There’s something about just how high the printed icon has to be that always makes it look out of scale to me on the model.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

When I was looking around on Etsy there was some guy who was selling fifty shoulder pads for $20 which seems like they would be more cost effective than a custom decal sheet, hilariously enough. Don't you need cyanoacrylate to affix resin to plastic, though?

Aliensandwich
Jan 21, 2024

Stephenls posted:

I don't particularly like Microset because I find I have to do a lot of maneuvering decals around on a surface after I've placed them, and the microset interferes with that. I've had better luck with just a layer of gloss varnish and then water under the decal. It may be more useful when putting larger decals down on larger surfaces where it’s easier to get placement right the first time,, but I’m mostly putting tiny decals down on space marine pauldrons or knees or whatever where getting it centered is both very tricky and super obvious if it’s wrong.

Microsol is fuckin' indispensible.

I feel like I almost have the opposite problem with Microset. Whenever I get my decal in the right place, it refuses to stay put. Sometimes when I press down with a paper towel, it will lift the decal right off lmao

Maybe I'm not letting it dry enough?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What is the free model for May and April?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

We'll know when they tell us. v:v:v

Usually they mention that at the end of each month, but the last WarCom post I can see for it is for the March model so maybe they'll mention the April one next week.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Wait, I meant March.

Edit: Tyranid

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 31, 2024

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Aliensandwich posted:

I feel like I almost have the opposite problem with Microset. Whenever I get my decal in the right place, it refuses to stay put. Sometimes when I press down with a paper towel, it will lift the decal right off lmao

Maybe I'm not letting it dry enough?

If there's a lot of water present the decal may not have properly adhered.

To soak up the excess water the trick is to wick it away with a cotton bud or bit of paper towel/tissue twisted into a point. Just touch the edge of the wet area to suck the water up and let the decal settle onto the surface. Only then do you dab the top of the decal with a tissue/cotton bud to get rid of the last of the moisture and smooth it down.

And only after all that do you brush on the MicroSOL and let it dry naturally.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I would also add micro set advises doing that dabbing with a slightly damp paper towel, and once I started doing that I had waaaay more success. When it’s bone dry it’s way too ‘sticky’ and can grab that decal too easily.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Finally finished painting one model after two decades. Haven't done the base but it's at least a real start.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Testikles posted:

Finally finished painting one model after two decades. Haven't done the base but it's at least a real start.

Looks great! Those gretchin are an awesome kit, I have 14 painted up.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Calling it a kit is being generous, and again the mold shows its age, but those sculpts, those sculpts have some real charm and personality.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Testikles posted:

that looks great!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Wait, I meant March.

Edit: Tyranid

And April will be a Space Marine by the looks of it.

But that's going by the silhouette on the twitter post, because it's still posting an hour early so the article link hasn't unlocked yet.

Edit:
Well if you want one of the new Deathwing Knight models then here's your chance:
https://www.warhammer-community.com...ore-activities/

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 1, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Have I mentioned how much space marines suck for having everyone look almost exactly the same with only tiny variations in their models and having a million different rules for each one?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Not yet.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Cooked Auto posted:

And April will be a Space Marine by the looks of it.

But that's going by the silhouette on the twitter post, because it's still posting an hour early so the article link hasn't unlocked yet.

Edit:
Well if you want one of the new Deathwing Knight models then here's your chance:
https://www.warhammer-community.com...ore-activities/

Might grab that since I dropped and damaged one of mine.

Also I've just now read that the offer is 10 paints get the most *expensive* free, I'd assumed there had been a mistake or the staff were being generous on the sly. I'm actually happy to get paint from GW rather than a reseller, since they're closer.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
Any of y'all ever play on TTS?

Also, any chance any of y'all would be interested in getting a little goon league going for 40k?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Lostconfused posted:

Have I mentioned how much space marines suck for having everyone look almost exactly the same with only tiny variations in their models and having a million different rules for each one?

That's why the Desolation Squad has enormous nerf guns

It looks stupid but you definitely won't confuse them

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Has anyone 3rd Party made replacement guns for Desoltaors? I watched a few YT games where they performed well, but I would never want to paint those models

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I think the Desolator models are fine, but at 200 points for 5 of them, I don't think they'll see serious play anytime soon. Indirect fire in general outside of Guard and some Eldar has become pretty non-viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So a DW Terminator is gonna be the free model of the month. Asked my kid if he wants to go grab it at the GW store early Saturday. How good of a chance do I have of snagging one if we go at open?