Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's refreshing to play a game that brings me back to the recess playground rumor days

I legitimately love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Re: ship names, I bought the game on Friday so I felt it was only appropriate to go with Spear of Destiny.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Teratrain posted:

Re: ship names, I bought the game on Friday so I felt it was only appropriate to go with Spear of Destiny.

The Patriot of Patriotism puts all others to shame

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

SplitSoul posted:

Wish they'd fix all the crashing.
It'd even be pretty cool if you could rejoin the game in progress after you recover from a crash

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Sindai posted:

This is the best shot I've seen:

They really are practically invisible if they're not in front of something bright in the skybox.

Also the best video of the "blue lasers" I've seen: https://old.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1bsshmw/blue_lasers_on_ubanea_the_lasers_were_roughing_up/

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
The untextured ships are definitely automaton, you can sometimes see them shooting red lasers. I still don't know what to think about the blue lasers. Seems like they're finally pushing the narrative that leads up to the 3rd faction, I think server stability issues delayed it by a month. This whole bit is basically a prologue to the real war, can't wait for what comes next.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Illuminate are back, but they are fighting for control of automaton and bug worlds alongside us. They took Super Earth's strategies and send in small teams with calldowns to complete objectives. Those ships are their version of super destroyers getting into formation

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

jokes posted:

The Patriot of Patriotism puts all others to shame

im still proud of the Comptroller of Conviviality

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
the aliens are real and they're giving me havana syndrome

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

the aliens are real and they're giving me havana syndrome

Hav anather dose of amphetamines, patriot!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
As a fresh patriot to the fight, what should I be spending my resources on?

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Sorry that's just an errant rocket raider rocket, the Ministry of Truth told me so.

https://i.imgur.com/YOigpjR.mp4

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Digital Jedi posted:

You'll really figure it out as you go along, which is really part of the fun. In terms of medal unlocks, probably prioritize guns, boosters, and armors with special features. In terms of ship modules and strategems - you'll start to figure out what everyone starts to bring. #1 recommendation is the Eagle Airstrike just because they're loving awesome forever.

Lots of other meta-level recommendations, but that eats the fun away from the early game. Guns, boosters, armors, eagle airstrike, and you'll figure out the rest!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

The untextured ships are definitely automaton, you can sometimes see them shooting red lasers. I still don't know what to think about the blue lasers. Seems like they're finally pushing the narrative that leads up to the 3rd faction, I think server stability issues delayed it by a month. This whole bit is basically a prologue to the real war, can't wait for what comes next.

as far as i've seen the third faction just isn't done yet, it's not really a server issue thing. they seem to be mostly finished, though, and look pretty cool. hp lovecraft's the war of the worlds is going to be a fun time

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Digital Jedi posted:

For requisition, Eagle Airstrike is arguably the best airstrike in the game and can be purchased at level 2. Grenade launcher is available at level 5 and is very good and should also be an early target.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

jokes posted:

The Illuminate are back, but they are fighting for control of automaton and bug worlds alongside us. They took Super Earth's strategies and send in small teams with calldowns to complete objectives. Those ships are their version of super destroyers getting into formation

It would be interesting if, instead of being another pizza slice on the map, the Illuminate came in behind the existing factions and pushed them inwards towards Super Earth, and have the bug and bots spreading sideways to escape being caught between us.

Digital Jedi posted:

Save your supercredits to unlock either of the premium warbonds. Spend medals on the toys that look most fun (get the Redeemer pistol ASAP as it's a direct upgrade), and spend requisition points on the stratagems that look most suited to your playstyle. I made the mistake of getting too many basically duplicate orbitals that I'll mostly not use early on, slowing my access to some of the stuff I have used more often. You can't really make any mistakes in this game though, eventually you'll get all the things. I'm halfway to having enough supercredits to unlock the other premium warbond, and that's even with having splashed out on a set of fancy premium armour from the superstore today (it looks like a flight suit, light armour with increased throw distance, thought I might as well treat myself).

Game good, shoot things and don't worry about missing out on things because you will get all the things.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's refreshing to play a game that brings me back to the recess playground rumor days
yeah :allears:

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Sindai posted:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Lean into the various Eagle calldowns and prioritize those hangar upgrades for the super destroyer. You get much better bang for your buck compared to the Orbital upgrades. The first support weapon upgrade that gives full ammo for support weapon calldowns is very good too

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I’d say get one weapon / orbital / eagle / emplacement and then as you unlock new ones keep trying the new one in that mix or four. At lower difficulties there’s no wrong answer and this will let you try everything out!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Saw the blue laser in game on Ubanea. Was soloing 5s and a blue laser shot my empty patriot mech at evac just as I ran past it to the
Pelican. Didn't see any the next few rounds but the bots were definitely having issues at their bases in the distance. Explosions, etc. I didnt put two and two together until I caught up on the thread.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the advice

I grabbed the eagle strike (which is awesome) and the redeemer.
And the trench engineer armor

Short on samples to do upgrades yet to the ship.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Had a great John Wick moment

Maybe he was trying to shake my hand and engage in diplomacy?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

sorry, can't do it

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Hakarne posted:

Had a great John Wick moment

Maybe he was trying to shake my hand and engage in diplomacy?

If an enemy attempts to engage in diplomacy with you, SHOOT THEM. We cannot trust their lies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Let. Me. Finish. A. loving. Mission. Without the servers kicking me or dying.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Goon, it's your connection, not the game, at this point.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

verify local files

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Legit Businessman posted:

Goon, it's your connection, not the game, at this point.

Maybe not. I've had plenty of missions end where I get "disconnected" despite the rest of my internet working fine and being able to hop right back in to another game. Had a match today where the entire mission was lagging out, reinforce wouldnt work, could pick things up but they wouldn't register, until finally the host DCed and the rest of the 3 of us went back to normal. Still get crashes too.

This game ain't working perfectly yet

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jerkface posted:

Maybe not. I've had plenty of missions end where I get "disconnected" despite the rest of my internet working fine and being able to hop right back in to another game. Had a match today where the entire mission was lagging out, reinforce wouldnt work, could pick things up but they wouldn't register, until finally the host DCed and the rest of the 3 of us went back to normal. Still get crashes too.

This game ain't working perfectly yet

What he said. I am getting sessions where everything is fine and then suddenly everyone is running in place and then connection to the server is lost. The I queue up and everything is fine again, with zero indication of problems. Then after five or so minutes it just stops. Or everyone else drops from a mission.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's a peer-hosted game so that's probably the host's internet going bad.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sindai posted:

It's a peer-hosted game so that's probably the host's internet going bad.

or your ISP having lovely routing to the host. i play with someone who has to use a VPN to have a stable connection to anyone

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I got this game earlier today and it's very entertaining, been playing a few rounds just on my own so I can familiarize myself with the controls and build up some semblance of muscle memory before I jump into the deep end. Do people prefer to play this with mouse + keyboard or controller? I found controller to be slightly more intuitive, but that's probably because every other shooty third person game I've ever played has been with a controller.

I named my ship Bringer of Family Values.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Arc Hammer posted:

What he said. I am getting sessions where everything is fine and then suddenly everyone is running in place and then connection to the server is lost. The I queue up and everything is fine again, with zero indication of problems. Then after five or so minutes it just stops. Or everyone else drops from a mission.
I have had this happen only twice in many hours of play, and not anytime recently. Might be luck, might be something with your setup or install.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just had a black screen and then returned to my ship. No message of a server loss or anything.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I maxed out my eagle ship upgrades which is nice I can throw sooo many strategems before they have to reload, and when they do it's only 1:30 until I get 2 more 500kg, 3 more airstrikes, and whatever other crap i decided to bring.
I usually end up bringing 3 eagles and 1 support/backpack, or if the other members have enough support/backpacks for me to scavenge i'll straight up go 4 eagles. Then I'm Mr Destructo. Zero hesitation, if I see anything more than a couple easy to clean up bots/bugs, calling in an eagle.

It's working pretty well but I'm kinda curious what upgrade route i should take next. Orbitals? Stuff like the Orbital Walking Barrage really piques my interest but I have no idea if that kind of thing is any good. I never see anyone using them. Sometimes there's just endless hordes of enemies coming at you. You can get like 15 kills per strategem but you'll run out before you kill em all. I'd love to have walking barrage if it can actually do what I want.

I've basically completely ignored the turrets since difficulty 7+, but their upgrades seem like they'd be significant maybe i'm making a mistake by not upgrading them.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Does the turret rotation speed upgrade make a big difference? I'm saving up for that one next and the autocannon turret's slow turn speed has been one thing keeping me from bringing it more often.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I got this game earlier today and it's very entertaining, been playing a few rounds just on my own so I can familiarize myself with the controls and build up some semblance of muscle memory before I jump into the deep end. Do people prefer to play this with mouse + keyboard or controller? I found controller to be slightly more intuitive, but that's probably because every other shooty third person game I've ever played has been with a controller.

I named my ship Bringer of Family Values.

I think this depends on whether you've spent most of your time being a PC or console player, having spent like 99 percent of my gaming time on PCs, trying to play shooter type games on a console just feels unplayable. I don't know if that adjustment is similar, easier or more difficult being a console player trying to play on PCs with a mouse and keyboard setup.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Sindai posted:

They really are practically invisible if they're not in front of something bright in the skybox.[/url]

These shapes have been around since release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

bandaid.friend posted:

These shapes have been around since release

Yeah I posted them in this thread weeks ago and people said "those are the cloaked automaton ships". I do want to know what they are though.

BastardySkull posted:

What the gently caress are these? Automaton ships?

Also, taking this screenshot froze the game and appeared to kick all 3 other squad members?