Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Writing most of the series in this case is still probably fewer episodes than usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Big change concerning Daleks going forward

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Timby posted:

If I had to wager a guess, Davies made the decision to write the majority of the season once the Disney money was secured. We know from The Writer's Tale that Davies is an insane workaholic who can turn around a script from outline to shooting draft in 48 hours--admittedly, not always for the better, in quite a few cases--and there was probably pressure from Disney to start seeing a return on their investment much sooner than later. So my feeling is he said, "OK, gently caress it, I'll write most of it, I'll get Moffat to do one and then I liked this pitch from someone else. And maybe we'll do things different with the next season."

Thing is, this guess does kind of require the Disney corporation to not really understand how most TV shows are written and the timescales involved. I think thats unlikely because I believe they have at least some previous experience in "the show business". I personally just put it down to Davies being a workaholic who feels a sense of ownership/protectiveness for the show and isnt great at recognizing when these traits are having a detrimental effect on his output. My evidence for that is the things Davies said and did the last time he was in charge of Who.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

I mean... as April Fool's Day things go it's at least harmless.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That trailer really shows what the Disney money can do for their special effects, it looks great. The four second teasers are fun too.

Ncuti Gatwa really was the best person to cast for a Russell Davies season. Like just beyond the obvious talent, he somehow makes all the "wink at the camera" type moments not drag the whole thing down. Should be a fun season that takes some big swings and is at least enjoyable even when it whiffs.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bicyclops posted:

Ncuti Gatwa really was the best person to cast for a Russell Davies season. Like just beyond the obvious talent, he somehow makes all the "wink at the camera" type moments not drag the whole thing down.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Seems likely that 73 Yards/Dot and Bubble and Legend of Ruby Sunday/Empire of Death are two-parters, since they're the ones which have the same directors in succession.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warthur posted:

Seems likely that 73 Yards/Dot and Bubble and Legend of Ruby Sunday/Empire of Death are two-parters, since they're the ones which have the same directors in succession.

I suspect the last two probably are, but I think generally this is just a quirk of block filming.

Edit: yeah, I checked my notes and I'm pretty sure Dot and Bubble is the one that had a lot of filming spoiled. It's nothing like the teaser for 73 Yards.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 1, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like how much horror vibe that 2 second teaser of 73 Yards gives. Very Dæmons.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I suspect the last two probably are, but I think generally this is just a quirk of block filming.
Last two are admittedly more likely but equally if Rusty's doing two two-parters in the season this means he only needs to solo-write 4 distinct stories instead of 6 (which is the position he'd be in if there were no two-parters). Obviously, each two-parter needs to be a meatier story than a one-parter, but needing to come up with less story concepts to begin with is a big leg-up.

Also, I think it's much much harder to come up with 6 story concepts which all need to be suitable for single episodes than 4 story concepts where only two of them need to be tight enough to be over and done in an episode and two of them can afford to sprawl a little more.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I like how much horror vibe that 2 second teaser of 73 Yards gives. Very Dæmons.

It's the Slitheen.
They're back on a D+ budget.
They can fart up to 73 yards away to kill their targets

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
For what its worth, RTD wrote 8 episodes in the 2005 series, so yeah he's probably just setting up the runway for the rest of the show.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

SiKboy posted:

Thing is, this guess does kind of require the Disney corporation to not really understand how most TV shows are written and the timescales involved.

Have you not seen how messed up and rushed a lot of disney productions have been for the past decade or so??

RichMarinKT
Mar 23, 2024
Someone on Twitter pointed out that 73 Yards is about 666 feet and between that and The Devil's Chord, they're thinking there might be a sort of "occult" arc this series.

The eulogized TARDIS scene looks like it might be one of the most powerful in the series. I'm really looking forward to this series.

Has there been any more news about The War Between Land And Sea? Someone speculated that it's the missing episode title and that it's going to be an event during the run. I'm wondering what Doctor Who characters are going to be involved and what exactly makes it a spin-off that they'd choose to do it now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There is no missing episode title?

Season 1/14/40:
1. SPACE BABIES
2. THE DEVIL'S CHORD
3. BOOM
4. 73 YARDS
5. DOT AND BUBBLE
6. ROGUE
7. THE LEGEND OF RUBY SUNDAY
8. EMPIRE OF DEATH

RichMarinKT
Mar 23, 2024

The_Doctor posted:

There is no missing episode title?

Season 1/14/40:
1. SPACE BABIES
2. THE DEVIL'S CHORD
3. BOOM
4. 73 YARDS
5. DOT AND BUBBLE
6. ROGUE
7. THE LEGEND OF RUBY SUNDAY
8. EMPIRE OF DEATH

Ah, must have misheard.

In other news, saw this on Reddit. Stay till the end, it's got a surprise: https://web.archive.org/web/20050528195802/http://p216.ezboard.com:80/ftheanorakzonefrm17.showMessage?topicID=302.topic

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Imagine being a small child saying something vicious and mean when suddenly a giant tears the roof off of the supermarket you're in, leans forward till his face fills up every inch of your vision, and in a booming voice that knocks over the shopping trolleys declares,"SAY THAT AGAIN AND I'LL CAVE YOUR SKULL IN!"

Good!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

RichMarinKT posted:

Someone on Twitter pointed out that 73 Yards is about 666 feet and between that and The Devil's Chord, they're thinking there might be a sort of "occult" arc this series.
Someone on Twitter doesn't know the Imperial system (73 yards is 219 feet exactly.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah but if you multiply 219 by 3 you get 657, which is 9 away from 666, and the 9th Doctor was where RTD started on the show, and every single person who saw the title "73 Yards" immediately understood this without even having to think about it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you turn 73 upside down you get EL

Then if you add DEVIL to the front you get

THE DEVIL

We're through the looking glass people

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
73 Yards

Valyard

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
I think it's close to 66.6 metres, so maybe that was what was going on there.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Raeg posted:

It was 66.6 Metres until the Disney money hit.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

RichMarinKT posted:

Ah, must have misheard.

In other news, saw this on Reddit. Stay till the end, it's got a surprise: https://web.archive.org/web/20050528195802/http://p216.ezboard.com:80/ftheanorakzonefrm17.showMessage?topicID=302.topic

Kind of funny that this seems to be in response to a complaint about a homophobic line, as the show went on more people would complain (as RTD correctly predicted here) about the prevalence of pro-LGBT themes.

Also the entire scene they describe has vanished from my memory entirely, probably a sign that I should get going with that rewatch

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

2house2fly posted:

Also the entire scene they describe has vanished from my memory entirely, probably a sign that I should get going with that rewatch

The OP posts their original letter/email further down and it’s apparently a line in Aliens of London. I don’t remember it at all either though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I also have zero memory of it, which I don't know if it is a good thing or not, but at first I thought RTD's response was talking about a hypothetical scenario.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
To be fair it's right before an alien spaceship smashes into Big Ben, most memories are going to be hard pressed to compete with that

RichMarinKT
Mar 23, 2024

Raeg posted:

Right, my mistake. The United Kingdom hasn't switched over to the metric system yet.

RichMarinKT
Mar 23, 2024
What would happen if The Doctor bi-regenerated or something and ended up in a male and a female Doctor? Would they consider traveling together? What would that series be like?

I don't know how often The Doctor in love gets addressed in the extended media, just the episodes, but would they consider falling for themselves? Thirteen did tell herself that she looked pretty cute. There seemed to be some minor flirting.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

RichMarinKT posted:

What would happen if The Doctor bi-regenerated or something and ended up in a male and a female Doctor? Would they consider traveling together? What would that series be like?

I don't know how often The Doctor in love gets addressed in the extended media, just the episodes, but would they consider falling for themselves? Thirteen did tell herself that she looked pretty cute. There seemed to be some minor flirting.

Why would that necessitate male and female?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Regardless of gender if there's one defining characteristic of multi doc stories it's that they get on each other's nerves.

Edit: which makes a lot of sense to me, if I had to hang around with multiple younger versions of myself I'd be sick of them pretty quickly.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Fil5000 posted:

Regardless of gender if there's one defining characteristic of multi doc stories it's that they get on each other's nerves.

Edit: which makes a lot of sense to me, if I had to hang around with multiple younger versions of myself I'd be sick of them pretty quickly.

Oh my god, I have never thought of it like this before but..
Yeah. I would come across as a smug prick to earlier vision versions of myself, and vice versa would seem like immature morons.

Definitely wouldn't bone myself though. More than once, Yknow, for science.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RichMarinKT posted:

New Doctor hates Old Doctor, cause they can't believe what an idiot they used to be
Old Doctor hates New Doctor, cause they can't believe what an idiot they're going to turn into
Each one knows they're the smartest one in the room
More Doctors just extrapolates this out further

Gender doesn't matter

They never like the new interior

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

McGann posted:

Oh my god, I have never thought of it like this before but..
Yeah. I would come across as a smug prick to earlier vision versions of myself, and vice versa would seem like immature morons.

Definitely wouldn't bone myself though. More than once, Yknow, for science.

Periodically when I'm feeling down, I imagine having conversations with myself from 5 years ago and 10 years ago, 15, 20, and so on and I realize that even if things aren't going fantastically, they could always be worse: I could be me from when I was younger.

RichMarinKT
Mar 23, 2024

2house2fly posted:

Kind of funny that this seems to be in response to a complaint about a homophobic line, as the show went on more people would complain (as RTD correctly predicted here) about the prevalence of pro-LGBT themes.

I was mostly referring to the bit where RTD threatened to punch a 12 year old girl in the face for calling her brother a " gay boy" on queue at the grocery store.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah... I can see how you'd want to drill into a kid's head not to talk that way, but threatening a strange child with violence in a big, booming voice is bad IMO.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
At least the Doctor never has to cope with what their younger selves did to their bodies, since they always get a new one. I'll spend a regeneration just to get away from my horrible lunch decision today.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

RichMarinKT posted:

I want to see this but have a third, previous Doctor show to sneer. I mean, we know how well multiple incarnations get along.

Have Colin pulling a face, "And I thought *I* was narcissistic..."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wolfechu posted:

I want to see this but have a third, previous Doctor show to sneer. I mean, we know how well multiple incarnations get along.

Have Colin pulling a face, "And I thought *I* was narcissistic..."

"Narcissistic? *NARCISSISTIC?* I simply know my own value, it's hardly MY fault if others find this difficult."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Happy Fish Fingers and Custard Day to all who celebrate