Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dramicus posted:

You've got it a bit backwards. The media, books, lore, etc depict them as infinite murder machines. It's the tabletop that has them being just slightly better than an average grunt, for balance's sake. Games like Space Marine or Boltgun are actually more accurate to how books depict the marines. Average Eldar don't really stand a chance unless they get off a good ambush, even then the outnumbered and surprised marines are probably going to take out 80% of the attackers. Hero characters are always another story because they are as good/lucky/plot armored as the story demands. Typical marines are about on-par with named heroes with plot-armor. They have chapters (1000 marines) holding off billions of Tyranids during planetary invasions. Dawn of War 2's story is pretty typical for how that goes in the books.

That's the tabletop rearing it's head. Genestealers have power weapons for melee attacks, which ignore armor, except for 5+ invulnerable saves which terminator armor always get, even if the armor is pierced.

That's more the tendency to follow Space Marine main characters in the books, from what SM stuff I've read. They've got plenty of their own red shirts running around eating krak grenades and stuff but they almost never show up in an actual book. I think the 30K stuff is better about that, since Marines are definitely more fodder-y in that era but I haven't read a ton of them.

Books focusing on Guard or Inquisition also tend to have Marines get chumped a bit more often as a matter of course but then you also run into "A Guardsman killed one Marine, holy poo poo!" or "lol this demon ate twenty Marines, time for the Guard to clean up."

In summary, Warhammer is a land of contrasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kly posted:

locking yourself out of the great visibility of being included at the top of themed sales because you dont want to add a 10% discount on your extremely niche game for a week once or twice a year is a wild choice

While I'm sure they've sold a few more million copies than Slice & Dice, Rimworld and Factorio are just as, if not more niche, and are the big names that come to mind with the "no sales, no bundles" thing.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

That's more the tendency to follow Space Marine main characters in the books, from what SM stuff I've read. They've got plenty of their own red shirts running around eating krak grenades and stuff but they almost never show up in an actual book. I think the 30K stuff is better about that, since Marines are definitely more fodder-y in that era but I haven't read a ton of them.

Books focusing on Guard or Inquisition also tend to have Marines get chumped a bit more often as a matter of course but then you also run into "A Guardsman killed one Marine, holy poo poo!" or "lol this demon ate twenty Marines, time for the Guard to clean up."

In summary, Warhammer is a land of contrasts.

30k is an entirely different beast because you've got marine on marine fighting which of course is going to lead to high body counts. They also were organized in legions back then and were busy conquering the entire galaxy. And while there certainly are 40k stories where marines die, there's a laundry list of battles where handfuls of marines single-handedly save entire planets from you-name-it. They have to because they are split into chapters and each one has to cover hundreds if not thousands of star systems, meaning there's rarely going to be more than a company or two of marines in any particular story.

Like the story of the Space Marine game, where you have 3 marines slaughtering their way through an Ork invasion, to kill the warboss and then turn around and fight off a Chaos invasion is not really eyebrow-raising. That's what they do, the Imperium wouldn't be able to hold together if they couldn't move heaven and earth.

As for the last bit, that's basically the 40k equivalent of the worf-effect.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

goferchan posted:

Rimworld and Factorio... come to mind with the "no sales, no bundles" thing.

RimWorld goes on sale now. Factorio doesn't but probably because the dev is some weird chud out of touch with reality.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dramicus posted:

30k is an entirely different beast because you've got marine on marine fighting which of course is going to lead to high body counts. They also were organized in legions back then and were busy conquering the entire galaxy. And while there certainly are 40k stories where marines die, there's a laundry list of battles where handfuls of marines single-handedly save entire planets from you-name-it. They have to because they are split into chapters and each one has to cover hundreds if not thousands of star systems, meaning there's rarely going to be more than a company or two of marines in any particular story.

Like the story of the Space Marine game, where you have 3 marines slaughtering their way through an Ork invasion, to kill the warboss and then turn around and fight off a Chaos invasion is not really eyebrow-raising. That's what they do, the Imperium wouldn't be able to hold together if they couldn't move heaven and earth.

As for the last bit, that's basically the 40k equivalent of the worf-effect.

Fair enough, yeah. I think it's a weird line they sometimes try to walk both sides of, at best.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'll be very surprised if Factorio doesn't have some kind of deal or even tiny sale when they release the DLC they've been working on.

Where can we laugh about Discord introducing lootboxes joke? As in, it's a 100% believable move for them to actually do that :v:

Croccers fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 2, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HELL YEAH I DO-

StrixNebulosa posted:

RTS CO-OP MODE

-n't.

Why would you do this? :gonk:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Fair enough, yeah. I think it's a weird line they sometimes try to walk both sides of, at best.

GW has the same problem in Warhammer Fantasy, where Chaos Warriors are basically 40k marines, but in a fantasy setting. They can single-handedly kill hundreds of normal men, but also get killed in droves when the story demands it. Most of these problems stem from Warhammer being a game that wants to sell plastic models first and a story second. It's already the case that Space Marines are overwhelmingly popular and sell the most, they want people to buy the other factions too, so need to walk the tightrope of sticking to the established lore but also not making GBS threads on every other faction.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Det_no posted:

RimWorld goes on sale now. Factorio doesn't but probably because the dev is some weird chud out of touch with reality.

Yah man that's definitely why

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

HELL YEAH I DO-

-n't.

Why would you do this? :gonk:

To be fair I think it's less of a traditional RTS and more a knock-off of They Are Billions, if that changes anything for you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Look I don't ask for much, just a game where you start with Conan as a youth learning basic skills in Cimmeria, then climb down from the mountains (watched through an orb by Thoth-Amon) and proceed to work through a completely open world that eventually encompasses every single storyline from The Tower of the Elephant through to conquering Aquilonia. You get to play as a traditional barbarian, a pirate, a thief, a soldier, a general etc.

The graphics are fantastic and the sound design is exceptional, it's a single player only game with no microtransactions, and it's incredibly well optimized and will run on basically any machine. Also it costs $20.

If you're not bringing at LEAST all of the above to the table, you've lost yourself a sale :colbert:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Let's compromise and you get Vampire-survivors, but Conan.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i would accept conan as a call of duty operator

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Conan Exiles has been surprisingly fun at various points in the past.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dramicus posted:

There is a Conan in Death Stranding.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Soul Glo posted:

i would accept conan as a 9-1-1 operator

“Get ouht of da haus!”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

Conan Exiles has been surprisingly fun at various points in the past.

Oh that's right, why do I always forget that game exi-

quote:

An online multiplayer survival game

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

goferchan posted:

Yah man that's definitely why

He doesn't believe statutory rape is a thing, he's definitely a brain damaged psychopath detached from reality.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Look I don't ask for much, just a game where you start with Conan as a youth learning basic skills in Cimmeria, then climb down from the mountains (watched through an orb by Thoth-Amon) and proceed to work through a completely open world that eventually encompasses every single storyline from The Tower of the Elephant through to conquering Aquilonia. You get to play as a traditional barbarian, a pirate, a thief, a soldier, a general etc.

The graphics are fantastic and the sound design is exceptional, it's a single player only game with no microtransactions, and it's incredibly well optimized and will run on basically any machine. Also it costs $20.

If you're not bringing at LEAST all of the above to the table, you've lost yourself a sale :colbert:
It costs $20 and frequently goes on sale for $8

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Mischievous Mink posted:

He doesn't believe statutory rape is a thing, he's definitely a brain damaged psychopath detached from reality.

ok so I looked into this because, hell, what else I got to do. and what it seemed like to me from the stupid two year old reddit chain is that he'd actually never heard the term before and reacted, perhaps caught offguard by his ignorance, perhaps just because he holds some silly opinions, with the dumb but not truly cursed position of 'sometimes it's consensual and sometimes it's very wrong'.

So I would say ignorant and probably posts too much but "brain damaged psychopath detached from reality" doesn't seem like the most rational conclusion. let's go even further in this year of our lord 2024 and say that plenty of psychopaths are just fairly normal people in the umbrella of neurodiversity and let's stop giving them shade.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Oh that's right, why do I always forget that game exi-

You can play SP and offline you should just tweak some of the ‘server’ settings to be balanced for SP.

Note: they have completely rebalanced the combat system again since the last time I played and I cannot speak to whether or not it currently fun.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chadzok posted:

...with the dumb but not truly cursed position of 'sometimes it's consensual and sometimes it's very wrong'.

Uh

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Chadzok posted:

ok so I looked into this because, hell, what else I got to do. and what it seemed like to me from the stupid two year old reddit chain is that he'd actually never heard the term before and reacted, perhaps caught offguard by his ignorance, perhaps just because he holds some silly opinions, with the dumb but not truly cursed position of 'sometimes it's consensual and sometimes it's very wrong'.

So I would say ignorant and probably posts too much but "brain damaged psychopath detached from reality" doesn't seem like the most rational conclusion. let's go even further in this year of our lord 2024 and say that plenty of psychopaths are just fairly normal people in the umbrella of neurodiversity and let's stop giving them shade.

Consensual sex with children isn't possible and it's an incredibly cursed position to ever take.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The 'truly cursed' would be the blanket 'it doesn't exist' that it was claimed that he said, and which as far as I can tell he didn't.

I would say that saying there are grey areas or whatever is ignorant, probably said by a non-parent and the person needs some re-neducation but I wouldn't line them up against the wall

Orv
May 4, 2011
Motherfuckers on the internet really will defend anything

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i thought factorio guy got canceled for talking about "uncle bob" in a blog post
(uncle bob being Some Guy who wrote once-influential but in retrospect pretty bad books on programming style and also became a boomer chud online afterwards)

King Boo
Feb 24, 2008

nihil novi sub sole
"Factorio founder rages about cancel culture after..." say no more, unhinged lunatic detected. these people tell on themselves so quickly

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I don't understand why I have to take someone's word for it that a game dev is a chud or a psycho or whatever without looking into what they actually said. yes this entire conversation is loving stupid but so is absolutely all of the internet. can we not rake my gentle inquisitive soul over the coals please

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 2, 2024

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Chadzok posted:

I don't understand why I have to take someone's word for it that a game dev is a chud or a psycho or whatever eithout looking into what they actually said. yes this entire conversation is loving stupid but so is absolutely all of the internet. can we not rake my gentle inquisitive soul over the coals please

You said that thinking sometimes child rape is consensual and sometimes it's very wrong is a "silly opinion".

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

yes and I ask again what is wrong with that? is it just that it's not forceful enough? I mean what you want to do is leave the door open for that person to change their opinion yeah? rather than instantly putting them on the defensive?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

For everyone else this is the dev's posts in question;
https://web.archive.org/web/2021061...wwdr/?context=3

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I mean he's obviously wrong. We just differ in the degree to which we're choosing to condemn a person for a Reddit post. Let's just leave it at that, this is making GBS threads up an already terrible thread

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

anyone who calls something an "SJW term" is probably a chud

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Chud? That some kinda SJW term?

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

anyone who calls something an "SJW term" is probably a chud

yeah this is probably true and more damning tbh. most likely, chud. ignore my posts, I'm open to changing my findings based on rational arguments like this

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 2, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Chadzok posted:

yeah this is probably true and more damning tbh
Nah I'm going to go out on a limb and say the other parts are worse

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nLgTVr_JcA

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Chadzok posted:

let's go even further in this year of our lord 2024 and say that plenty of psychopaths are just fairly normal people in the umbrella of neurodiversity and let's stop giving them shade.

Nah.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

you do not, in fact, have to hand it to the dev of Factorio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

nah chadzok did have a point in that the term "psychopath" is overused, hurts the wrong people and shouldn't be levied at shitheads like factorio dev but also

mystes posted:

Nah I'm going to go out on a limb and say the other parts are worse