Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

CubicalSucrose posted:

I'm going to fish Spot E all 6 of my D1 attempts.

Oh if it was this it didn't even register as important/relevant.

I'm glad I missed fish math chat because although I expect the people who analyze everything to try to find a pattern (and maybe there is) I don't think locations matter that much, unless too many of us are gathered in the same spot

So don't fish next to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I'm more curious about what fish people WANT

RNG fish could be fun but I like watchers/trackers more, I expect Nemesis to go for mason maker... (Maybe I should too, it would be cool if Shell and I were masons for the first time)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Did I miss anything?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

shwinnebego posted:

meen is probably town because he's enthusiastically going all in with analyzing the setup

otoh, this setup lends itself to that probably for scum too and so iggy could fake that as scum more than he can usually fake scum

shell is town imo

cube likely scum

Meen could likely analyze the fish data regardless of alignment

My Shell-dar doesn't say Shell is town yet, there are posts that feel a bit tense? Hard to explain (could be due to not playing often, jury is still out but wouldn't vote her D1 anyway)

Oh I remembered:

Shellception posted:

Btw, before anyone tries to read too much about this particular claim: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4052418&pagenumber=43&perpage=40. Last game I comodded. And also I kinda miss playing with wol, but it seems like our schledules didn't match this time.

Explaining A B B A fishing felt a little self conscious

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Opopanax posted:

Did I miss anything?

fish math

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

I feel like Cube jumped the gun assuming something about Shell's affinity but that doesn't feel especially scummy?

I know Plastic doesn't play D1 but would like to hear more from him, also Sand posts that aren't just "let me know when we're not talking about setup anymore".

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Opopanax posted:

Did I miss anything?

Unironically I believe this is all worth knowing about :

Shell and Meen and a couple other folks spent a lot of time setup speccing (check one of their post histories for a summary)
Cube made a weird response to something Shell said (can find in Cube’s history)
Some of us reacted (last two pages or so)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ok so nothing then, good

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Give me masonry fish or give me lunch.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Oh good Keats is back to claiming cop D1, normality is restored.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Opopanax posted:

Did I miss anything?

##vote: Opop

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Opopanax posted:

Ok so nothing then, good

If you’re tryna get into the game the last two pages are worth reading probs

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Like come on. It's five pages

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Brother, I'm just here to fish

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Maerlyn posted:

I'm more curious about what fish people WANT

RNG fish could be fun but I like watchers/trackers more, I expect Nemesis to go for mason maker... (Maybe I should too, it would be cool if Shell and I were masons for the first time)

Watcher/tracker/doctor/roleblock are solid standbys, but if I had the intel needed to gun for something specific I'd pick an RNG fish for sure. Gotta roll the dice for that dayvig/cop/fancy loud visitation IMO.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

RNG fish best ghoti

Johnny Keats
Jan 24, 2023

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Oh good Keats is back to claiming cop D1, normality is restored.

I claimed cop?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
I like Illu's games because they remind me to sauna.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Sandwolf posted:

Unironically I believe this is all worth knowing about :

Shell and Meen and a couple other folks spent a lot of time setup speccing (check one of their post histories for a summary)
Cube made a weird response to something Shell said (can find in Cube’s history)
Some of us reacted (last two pages or so)

what about Ironically

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

CubicalSucrose posted:

I like Illu's games because they remind me to sauna.

kipis

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

wrong game

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Hal Incandenza posted:

RNG fish best ghoti

holy poo poo hal is in this game

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

hal's town imo

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Maerlyn posted:

My Shell-dar

has your Shell-dar ever correctly identified Shell as scum?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

shwinnebego posted:

what about Ironically

“some elite posts from yours truly”

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

shwinnebego posted:

hal's town imo

Maybe, maybe not.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Johnny Keats posted:

I claimed cop?

Johnny Keats posted:

I'm not associated with a particular fish. Just copping players

:thinking:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Good mornin'

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Full percent table power is too good IMO to give out for just any kind of fish, especially with the way it sounds where your chances are probably low enough you couldn't definitely catch the fish on the table even if you spent every day in the best spot multiple days in a row. I'm not sure how meaningful that is yet but I do find it odd without more context.

Since I apparently claimed some powerrole-like poo poo anyway, I may as well go the full way: yeah, I got a full percentage table over all the sites, for a given fish. It looks like: Spot A, x%, Spot B, y%, etc etc. And if not all of us do, then you can freaking be sure some of the ones who do are scum.

I don't have any indication that this power is linked to anything other than the PM itself - it's not an item or any other temporary looking thing.

My math went somehow like this: there are 8 species of fish, and there are 6 spots. That's 14 between rows and columns. So you can give one piece of the puzzle to each player, and let'em decide what to do. It made sense to me, and apparently it didn't happen and I spent like an hour arguing with arguments only I could see while everyone else just got confused, so lol.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

:laffo: that's not how tables work, the master list would have 1 row per fish type and 1 column per spot (or vice-versa) for an 8 by 6 table of 48 cells

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

it's fine though, it's too early to math or brain properly where you're at

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Shellception posted:

Good mornin'

Since I apparently claimed some powerrole-like poo poo anyway, I may as well go the full way: yeah, I got a full percentage table over all the sites, for a given fish. It looks like: Spot A, x%, Spot B, y%, etc etc. And if not all of us do, then you can freaking be sure some of the ones who do are scum.

I don't have any indication that this power is linked to anything other than the PM itself - it's not an item or any other temporary looking thing.

My math went somehow like this: there are 8 species of fish, and there are 6 spots. That's 14 between rows and columns. So you can give one piece of the puzzle to each player, and let'em decide what to do. It made sense to me, and apparently it didn't happen and I spent like an hour arguing with arguments only I could see while everyone else just got confused, so lol.

tell me how to get zander shell i need to gamble every single night

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

i read more of the OP

quote:

You may submit your fishing orders all at once or separately during the day, however you must submit at least 3 orders by the first 24 hours of the day and all of them before 2 hours to deadline or they will be defaulted to fishing on the spot you are in.

everyone go submit at least half of your fish otherwise you're gonna default to fishing in A 3 times or something

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Illu please run a game every month or however long it takes me to forget how good saunaing is.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

:laffo: that's not how tables work, the master list would have 1 row per fish type and 1 column per spot (or vice-versa) for an 8 by 6 table of 48 cells

How doesn't it? You have, say, a column for each spot, and a row for each fish. Some players do get a column ("For this fish N, Place A has X%, Place B has Y%...") and some players get a row ("This place M has X% of fish A, Y% of fish B"...). Cut the columns and rows separately, hand'em to players, you have 14 tidbits of info. Some of it is redundant, sure, but that's the whole point of it in the first place.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Shellception posted:

Tl;dr (of my position): do your worst, be free, fish whenever you want, sky's the limit. You rule! Even if you were born on February!

Heeeeeeeeeeey! :smith:

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Shellception posted:

Good mornin'

Oh, that's a neat ability. I actually don't have anything like it, but it sounded like Iggy has something similar? Mine's more fishing spot related, I get a free movement per day, so I'm more flexible in regards to where I want to fish. So if anybody here wants to tell me where I can find the best Zander/Whitefish?

It seems reasonable to assume there's one affinity role for every fish (maybe not the cool stuff), so 5-8 people like that?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Shellception posted:

How doesn't it? You have, say, a column for each spot, and a row for each fish. Some players do get a column ("For this fish N, Place A has X%, Place B has Y%...") and some players get a row ("This place M has X% of fish A, Y% of fish B"...). Cut the columns and rows separately, hand'em to players, you have 14 tidbits of info. Some of it is redundant, sure, but that's the whole point of it in the first place.

For starters, you only need to give out rows or columns because you could put the whole table together with just those if everyone shared their info. Suppose you had only 4 fish and 4 locations; the only purpose giving 4 players individual fish rows and 4 players individual location columns for the available fish is redundancy, otherwise the players can go with revealing the info about either all 4 fish or all 4 locations and create the big table by sticking them all together for the complete picture of fish probabilities.

Secondly, your idea sounds like it has a 3 player deficit minimum; there are only 13 players here, not 14, I don't have any table info like that, and it sounds like Cube doesn't either. So what's the story with the 3 table bits that aren't available? What's more, given the setup I think it'd be silly to have incomplete overlap as opposed to having an efficient cross-section of the table that could amount to the same end while allowing for more ideas on other types of affinities.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Shellception posted:

That does it, I'm starting a fishing diary excel sheet

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

I feel like Cube jumped the gun assuming something about Shell's affinity but that doesn't feel especially scummy?

I'm here. I haven't reread (it's early as gently caress) but my impression of Cube was more along the lines of "was caught unaware by something and thinks this doesn't make sense" than "trying to pull a gotcha".

shwinnebego posted:

has your Shell-dar ever correctly identified Shell as scum?

Maer can usually read my tone well. This said, whenever I'm mentally like "ok surely no one is going to misread this as scumShell" she will go "hmm" at me in exactly the same way she has here. Which shouldn't be alignment-indicative for me, but it sure as gently caress should be for her with how often it happens.

Plus, y'know, I'm here playing because she poked me to, if she rolled scum she isn't going to fake shade on me as her first move. I'm quite confident she's town right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Cloacamazing! posted:

Oh, that's a neat ability. I actually don't have anything like it, but it sounded like Iggy has something similar? Mine's more fishing spot related, I get a free movement per day, so I'm more flexible in regards to where I want to fish. So if anybody here wants to tell me where I can find the best Zander/Whitefish?

It seems reasonable to assume there's one affinity role for every fish (maybe not the cool stuff), so 5-8 people like that?

back the gently caress off on the zanders i'll fight you !!!