Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

bad take but also you can just use /bgm without a modifier to toggle music on and off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

all bgm is good and deserves to be listened to and appreciated

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Chillgamesh posted:

Thermonuclear take

My specific take is that every expansion has good and bad zones, but as far as zones that I find interesting to travel across time and time again the earlier zones far outweigh the later. There's a few standouts like ShB's Rak'tika or EW's Ultima Thule but I really miss the complex geometry and density of places like the Shroud or Sea of Clouds.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The best zone for navigation is, obviously, Pagos.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Sea of Clouds is one of the worst zones in the game

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

When I think "interesting level geometry", Sea of Clouds does not come to mind ever.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Eureka is cool and I get not liking zones that are just open plains with a steep elevation change to gate player progression, but Sea of Clouds is not a fun play area. Almost all of the HW zones are guilty of having poor aetheryte coverage but god drat does Sea of Clouds stand out as the one where it hurts the most, due to the daily quests there having you traverse vertical areas with multiple levels of interaction. The actual concept/art of the zone are cool though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Do I still need to buy Endwalker if I plan on getting Dawntrail? Been a while since I’ve played, but I’m thinking about getting back in soon.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Open Marriage Night posted:

Do I still need to buy Endwalker if I plan on getting Dawntrail? Been a while since I’ve played, but I’m thinking about getting back in soon.

No, but you won't get access to Endwalker until Dawntrail releases if all you do is pre-order DT.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

When I think "interesting level geometry", Sea of Clouds does not come to mind ever.

HW zones are great. I like how there's gathering nodes in Sea of Clouds that span multiple Z-levels, making them nigh impossible to use without flying. I also love how Dravanian Mistletoe, a critical ingredient in a lot of level 52 crafted gear, cannot be harvested at all without Churning Mists flying.

You can make very nearly every piece of level 54 gear before then.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

I also love how Dravanian Mistletoe, a critical ingredient in a lot of level 52 crafted gear, cannot be harvested at all without Churning Mists flying.

I believe the Ishgard sundries vendor sells that stuff, as well as several other timed node mats? It costs more than is strictly economical, like most mat vendors, but I'm pretty sure it's at least available.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

HW zones are great. I like how there's gathering nodes in Sea of Clouds that span multiple Z-levels, making them nigh impossible to use without flying. I also love how Dravanian Mistletoe, a critical ingredient in a lot of level 52 crafted gear, cannot be harvested at all without Churning Mists flying.

HW crafting and gathering sucks, I'm certainly not defending that poo poo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

I will straight up ignore a weekly hunt mark if it happens to be in Sea of Clouds. I don't need the 20 aetheryte tickets that badly.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Navigating the Sea of Clouds is a pain in the rear end, made tolerable by flying, but it's a real cool aesthetic.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

running around doing the tribe quests in the last ew zone is what finally drove me to install the orchestreon mod and swap the track back to the muffled instrumental version it starts with

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kazinsal posted:

I will straight up ignore a weekly hunt mark if it happens to be in Sea of Clouds. I don't need the 20 aetheryte tickets that badly.

I stopped taking the B-ranks in Sea of Clouds after I spent 20 minutes looking for Squonk only to find it right as another player killed it

"you no longer sense your mark" are cursed words

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

IthilionTheBrave posted:

No, but you won't get access to Endwalker until Dawntrail releases if all you do is pre-order DT.

Looks like when I last played almost exactly two years ago, I was level 70 and still in Stormblood. I guess when I'm ready to start playing I'll just pre order Dawntrail, and see if I either hit the level cap or run out of story progression.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Sea of Clouds is awful navigating with flying but is also just awful because you unlock it right at the start of HW, but then won't come back until the end of it so you can't get any of the aether currents until then, when so many loving quests force you to traipse to the rear end end of the southern half of it on foot.

I only finished HW a few days ago and I overall think the zones are way, way better than ARR's; Dravanian Forelands especially is probably my favourite zone overall, and Western Coerthas is fairly neat even if the Aetheryte location sucks, but Sea of Clouds is just kind of bizarrely bad.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Tataru: "Oh no! Alphinaud has been gravely wounded in riots in Ul'dah!"
Me, walking up to Alphinaud chillaxing at the Ul'dah inn after running past npcs doing idol concerts for LLD/Hatching Tide: "Uh huh"

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Dawntrail early access starts 88 days from today. By my count there are 853 (or 852 depending on starting city) Main Scenario Quests, so if a new player starting today would like to finish the Main Scenario story quests in time for Dawntrail release then 10 quests a day would get you there in 86 days, leaving two more days somewhere in there to do the 8 required crystal tower quests and about 27 class/job quests.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

inferis posted:

Dawntrail early access starts 88 days from today. By my count there are 853 (or 852 depending on starting city) Main Scenario Quests, so if a new player starting today would like to finish the Main Scenario story quests in time for Dawntrail release then 10 quests a day would get you there in 86 days, leaving two more days somewhere in there to do the 8 required crystal tower quests and about 27 class/job quests.

FFXIV is my favorite game of all time and this sounds like a great way to hate it

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah. Maybe don't do that.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

As someone who has rushed through content to try to catch up to current content and story, don't do it it's absolutely not worth the grind and burnout that'll follow

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Simsmagic posted:

As someone who has rushed through content to try to catch up to current content and story, don't do it it's absolutely not worth the grind and burnout that'll follow

That's how I first quit the game, came back something like 5 years later.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Nitrousoxide posted:

Tataru: "Oh no! Alphinaud has been gravely wounded in riots in Ul'dah!"
Me, walking up to Alphinaud chillaxing at the Ul'dah inn after running past npcs doing idol concerts for LLD/Hatching Tide: "Uh huh"

Look, the Songbirds autograph line was really bad this year

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Like I wouldn't recommend it otherwise under normal circumstances but I would say someone would be better off buying a story skip rather than trying to rush through it if that was their goal, at least then you'd enter dawntrail without all the weight of the sheer grind on your back

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

inferis posted:

If you're gonna do this you should probably set up a professional-grade streaming setup and work on your React Faces before you get going, because doing 10 quests a day every day for three months straight is basically two full time jobs worth of game time

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I cannot think of any reason for a brand new player to try to catch up on the story before they add more story, unless they just dgaf about the story in which case they should simply buy a skip. Either way you'll be missing a lot of the good stuff in the game.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

in 80 days through final fantasy xiv is my favourite jules verne novel

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Just unlocked Sage. I have like 10 buttons with the same aoe heal.

I'll look up a guide and figure it, but they really could intro these new classes better, or consolidate some buttons.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If you played scholar you can map most sage buttons to the same keys/shortcuts.

If you're new to both, :rip:

I do agree they shouldn't just vomit all spells over your bars, especially not for expansion jobs.

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 2, 2024

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Yeah Sage is literally just Scholar but you gain Aetherflow one at a time as time passes instead of all at once with a cooldown.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

I went into FF14 thinking I'd like big rotations, but I've ended up playing White Mage exclusively. Something about it just felt really good to play.

Sage looks so cool though! Gonna buckle down and learn it.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Forgive me if I'm saying something you already know but you know the difference between spells and abilities right? A lot of the AoE heals you're looking at are either spells (on global cooldown with cast time), instant spells (on global cooldown with no cast time), or abilities (off global cooldown with no cast time). All the healers have abilities which seem redundant until you realize some have a cast time, some are instant, and some can be used instantly even while your global cooldown isn't ready.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I main a 90 whm and got Sage and Sch to 80 so far and have the button assignments set up so that it's somewhat painless to switch between them.

I've gotten Astrologian up to 76 and have no loving idea where to put these buttons. AST just does not map as easily.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

Forgive me if I'm saying something you already know but you know the difference between spells and abilities right? A lot of the AoE heals you're looking at are either spells (on global cooldown with cast time), instant spells (on global cooldown with no cast time), or abilities (off global cooldown with no cast time). All the healers have abilities which seem redundant until you realize some have a cast time, some are instant, and some can be used instantly even while your global cooldown isn't ready.

Fair question. I'm aware, but I'm like 54 in the MSQ, so I only recently started getting story quests and Duty Dungeons where I actually have access to my heal abilities. I weave Lucid Dreaming and Presence of Mind, but it's a work in progress breaking the habit of muscle memory Cure 2 heals.

Duodecimal posted:

I main a 90 whm and got Sage and Sch to 80 so far and have the button assignments set up so that it's somewhat painless to switch between them.

I've gotten Astrologian up to 76 and have no loving idea where to put these buttons. AST just does not map as easily.

Oh yeah, I gave up on AST. I like using hotkeys instead of mouseclicking, and that wasn't happening.

I haven't unlocked all the White Mage buttons yet, but this is the layout I've been using since I gave up on manually switching hotbar 1 for 2 on demand. Was pretty happy that I managed to fit it all without more bars.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 2, 2024

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

you should probably activate more of your hotbars in the hud editor, regardless

there are a lot of classes where you're going to need a lot more room, and while you're at it, you'll want to go into your keymap settings and put more of those buttons on your keyboard - get used to using modifier keys

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

orcane posted:

I do agree they shouldn't just vomit all spells over your bars, especially not for expansion jobs.

Generally when you pick up a level say, 70, class, you have a lot of buttons, because you have 70 levels of buttons.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

NachtSieger posted:

Generally when you pick up a level say, 70, class, you have a lot of buttons, because you have 70 levels of buttons.
Yes that's why I say the game shouldn't just drop them on your bars like that :)

You have to delete + reassign/move them all anyway, might as well ask people to open their spells panel, read the descriptions and place them in a way that makes sense for them (because the default order makes no sense at all, ever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A lot of classes have spells that, while not exactly the same, serve the same purpose. I've settled on a "language" for placement of my spells/abilities that keeps them (more or less) consistent across jobs.

Like: Right trigger + ABXY are my damage doers. For instance, for healing jobs: RT + Y = a job's instant cast damage. RT + B = main damage, RT + A = AOE damage.

While my LT has my healing stuff on it. LT + RT has the corresponding more powerful version of the base spell in the same position.

So the single target heal for scholar (Physick) is LT + A, while the heal + shield (Adloquium) is LT + RT + A. White mage has the same sort of flow with Cure being LT + A while Cure II is LT + RT + A.

Double RT has long cooldown abilites on it like swiftcast. Double LT has movement stuff on it common to all jobs (teleport, chocobo, sprint).

Where positional are relevant for a job I try to organize them on the face buttons, so they correspond to the same position I need to be in for the enemy.

Crafting jobs are literally identical, however. I think there is a way to copy your layout from job to job so you only need to set up that once and just copy it to all your other ones.