Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

goblin week posted:

central europe (asia)

Isn't it Central Europe (Austria)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Kikas posted:

Yeah this was a talking point in the threads when the war started, with people from US and western Europe going "surely you are exaggerating about what Russia and the russian mindset is" and the people who actually border Russia went "yeah no you are out of touch those guys are just built different" and the latter were right and continue to prove being right.

There are also people who start off with cold war era stereotypes about communist bears in ushankas and eternal winter, so when Tucker Carlson shows them an Auchan chain store in Moscow, and it doesn't match their weird preconceived notions, their first response is to think that literally everything they hear about Russia (or any authoritarian state) on the news is a lie. Some people really struggle to adjust their worldview when faced with new facts without completely turning it upside-down.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Ah, the D.A.R.E. effect.

You mean I didn't instantly die AND go to prison for life because my older sister smoked weed in the house? I guess heroin can't be that addictive.

(lol we didn't even have that program in Canada but an officer who came to talk about something like road safety to us kids took a detour to say 'Some of you may think you can try pot and get away with it. But we have kids paid to inform us and you will be found out.' Then our teacher was like 'Well, you heard what he said and that's his opinion I guess. But you will be offered weed in middle school or ninth grade at the latest and so if you don't feel comfortable with it and you're too scared to turn it down just don't inhale or something. It's like breathing into the mouth but then blowing it out without it going into the lungs you can practice it with a balloon or whatever.')

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Mar 26, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
when do we get tucker carlson goes to norilsk

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bright Bart posted:

Ah, the D.A.R.E. effect.

You mean I didn't instantly die AND go to prison for life because my older sister smoked weed in the house? I guess heroin can't be that addictive.

(lol we didn't even have that program in Canada but an officer who came to talk about something like road safety to us kids took a detour to say 'Some of you may think you can try pot and get away with it. But we have kids paid to inform us and you will be found out.' Then our teacher was like 'Well, you heard what he said and that's his opinion I guess. But you will be offered weed in middle school or ninth grade at the latest and so if you don't feel comfortable with it and you're too scared to turn it down just don't inhale or something. It's like breathing into the mouth but then blowing it out without it going into the lungs you can practice it with a balloon or whatever.')

Yeah, that's a very good comparison, actually.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
aw yeah, it's time for new visually dense cartoon

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 29, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Real talk: Are Sorbs and Wends considered Eastern Europeans because they speak a Western Slavic language and to some degree kept the culture alive more than Czechs and Poles did?

Do they consider themselves Eastern Europeans?

(You know my take on this. Either everyone east of Madgeburg is EE or nobody west of the Bug is. Except maybe an enclave starting with the letter 'S'.)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Probably Central Europeans. If you want to go strict East/West you could easily go into Latin/Greek cultural heritage split. Baltics would probably prefer being considered West if North is not available..

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I think the dichotomy of East/West has outlived whatever usefulness it had. Especially since nobody really knows exactly what you're talking about any more. When you say Western Europe you could very well be including rich countries in the east who have much, much more to do with that latter region historically and culturally than with say Portugal. Like Finland. Or you might be keeping strictly to geographic location. You may or may not be including countries in the south, like Greece. You may not even be counting Portugal at the extreme west of continental Europe because it's poor and had a dictatorship for a long time.

But while I am in no ways an anthropologist I have travelled extensively and intensively in the north of Europe and there are many significant differences between Vilnius and Oslo. There is no point in grouping the Baltics as Northern European when everyone is already familiar with a category called 'The Baltics'. If they weren't, then there would be cause for debate on whether to group them as NE or create a new category.

Speaking of, I count Poland as an unofficial Baltic country where some people just live too far from the sea for my liking (including myself). Like that wild priest on GoT who shook his head that people were living so far inland on islands that you can't see or hear the water. They're still Iron Islanders.

e: Traditional Sorb events are cool.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 2, 2024

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The dichotomy of east/west (and central for that matter) was always more about trying to symbolically dislodge yourself from Russia.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
It's really simple.

East = fake Russians
Central = equal to Germans
Northern = equal to Sweded
Central-Eastern = remain politely indecisive so everyone can quietly sub in the descriptor they believe in

West is "equal to Germans, but gently caress off with that Central poo poo"

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Yeah but Czechia is the West of the East, Netherlands are the North of the West, Estonia is the North of the East, Denmark is the Central of the North, Austria is the South of the Central, and Serbia is the East of the South.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Mostly Slavic? East. Ex-USSR? East. Ex-Warsaw Pact? East. It's that simple.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Paladinus posted:

If you need 3 different (admittedly overlaping) characteristics then you need a new definition.

And what on Earth Latvia has to do with North Macedonia I have no idea.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's also the fourth and arguably most important characteristic: vibes. Which enables Portugal to be Eastern Europe

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Latvia is a rightful part of Greater Macedonia

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bright Bart posted:

If you need 3 different (admittedly overlaping) characteristics then you need a new definition.

And what on Earth Latvia has to do with North Macedonia I have no idea.

They are both Eastern Europe.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Paladinus posted:

:hmmyes:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Weather's poo poo, most of my paycheck is already gone, and now I found out I live in Eastern Europe.. Jak żyć?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

At least there's booze

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Sigh, I’ll reset the counter.

IT’S BEEN “0” DAYS SINCE THE LAST EASTERN EUROPE DISCUSSION

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Draw a line through London and Paris. Anything to east of this line is eastern Europe (or not in Europe, e.g. Bangkok)

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Mokotow posted:

Sigh, I’ll reset the counter.

IT’S BEEN “0” DAYS SINCE THE LAST EASTERN EUROPE DISCUSSION

It was meant to be a discussion about how Sorbs see themselves and are seen By others

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Europe is in shengen zone so uk does not count as europe. It's just an ex-Indian colony.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Britain does not belong to the continent.

Brexit. Means. Brexit.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
In Western Europe, you drink wine. In Eastern Europe, vodka.

Meanwhile, Britain is still shopping around for a new continent after being waitlisted for North America.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In Best Europe, you drink beer :smug:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

It was meant to be a discussion about how Sorbs see themselves and are seen By others

Yeah, but we do seem to end up on the EE discussion usually, even if the original topic is inly tangibly related. It’s in this thread’s spirit!

It always brakes my brain a bit when I drive through the Sorb parts of Germany. I’ve never met a Sorb - not in Germany or anywhere else. I also don’t think there’s much interaction with the Poles over the Oder.

I’ll be in (North) Macedonia this week for the first time, I’m curious to see the mash up of cultures and historical influences there.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Bright Bart posted:

Yeah but Czechia is the West of the East, Netherlands are the North of the West, Estonia is the North of the East, Denmark is the Central of the North, Austria is the South of the Central, and Serbia is the East of the South.

What's the Midwest of Europe?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

Eastern Poland

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

mawarannahr posted:

Wisconsin

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Wherever they eat lutefisk and have Lutherans

So Sweden?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Brexit. Means. Brexit.

So you really want to give British voters authority over geography?

mawarannahr posted:

Ukraine, of course. It's basically Eastish and has rust belt and agricultural regions?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Wherever they eat lutefisk and have Lutherans

So Sweden?

there's like 3-4 different Midwests in the US so you can kinda answer anything that corresponds to the lower plains states, Minnesota/Wisconsin, or Ohio through Illinois

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

mawarannahr posted:

The greater poland area

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Antigravitas posted:

Brexit. Means. Brexit.

I can think of no stronger argument that Britain is part of eastern europe.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Morrow posted:

In Western Europe, you drink wine. In Eastern Europe, vodka.

Meanwhile, Britain is still shopping around for a new continent after being waitlisted for North America.

In scandi you drink longero

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Sigh. You can't bring salsa and tortilla chips to a party here. You bring mild and spicy:

One side will try the mild and tell you it's super flaming hot just because a sliver of onion, a tiny piece of garlic, and zero peppers went into a batch.

Another, composed of people who bring their own reaper sauce to the kebab stand, will scoop up a load of the spicy then complain that it's too mild even if it's 95% habanero.

Honestly while the latter are more obnoxious the former are overall more annoying. I've had been make that exaggerated 'My mouth is burning' action complete with noises. And warn newcomers that the mild salsa is fire hot. At this point it's not sensitivity due to dental problems or a particular nociceptive system. It's purely psychological.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Wait until you meet people who don’t eat sushi because it’s raw fish.

It’s better now but in the mid-90’s there were three Japanese restaurants in Warsaw and people considered you an absolute freak if you went there. In the early 00’s I had university friends who’d go to a sushi place, grab the raw tuna and get the other people heaving by shoving it in their faces.

This in a country where raw beef tartare mixed with a raw egg yellow is fairly common

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Nobody tell them that herring isn't grilled or baked.