Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's satire by The Onion, in case you don't know who Kelly is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
First time I've noticed the crying Statue of Liberty isn't there.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

kelly is a loving force of nature

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Punished Ape posted:

First time I've noticed the crying Statue of Liberty isn't there.

He also referred to a person under 40 as anything other than Millennial, which is uncharacteristic for boomers. Kelly's slipping.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
So is this pier happening or has the idea been jetty-isioned?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Woodchip posted:

It takes about 3 weeks for the ships to reach Israel. This will not happen quickly enough to stop the humanitarian disaster from becoming catastrophic.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
That’s a slow boat that takes three weeks to get to the Gaza Strip from Cyprus and the pier has been up for like, two weeks now. This article says the first load was 200 tons.

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-news-03-15-2024-d4e2f9ed525914233e4cf16c217f5248

Isreal is helping by rapidly decreasing the civilian population so that what aide gets through can go further.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Borscht posted:

That’s a slow boat that takes three weeks to get to the Gaza Strip from Cyprus and the pier has been up for like, two weeks now. This article says the first load was 200 tons.

https://apnews.com/article/israel-hamas-war-news-03-15-2024-d4e2f9ed525914233e4cf16c217f5248

Isreal is helping by rapidly decreasing the civilian population so that what aide gets through can go further.

That doesn't seem right. The pier was stated to take 60 days to build. That article doesn't say the aid used the pier, just a pier, and that one was in the north and was at a purpose built location called the "World Kitchen Jetty". The proposed JLOTS location will likely be elsewhere, and will be capable of handling thousands of tons of goods at a time, not a mere 200.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Gotcha. I’m surprised that they were allowed to do that. I wonder why that one charity has permission and not others. According to that ship tracker website, the vessel is sitting at port in Cyprus since it returned so it’s definitely not going to be making the trip with any regularity.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Woodchip posted:

From 2 weeks ago:

lightpole posted:

For the Gaza port, the Army's 7th Transportation Brigade will send 2 LSVs and 3 LCUs, which will take 30 days to get there, with a MARAD LMSR to do all the really heavy lifting.

A lot of this is really dumb since they've been trying to get rid of their vessels and this capability, and the expeditionary support docks are laid up due to phase down with that initiative.

Those army vessels have to detour south to avoid weather and are slow. Support docks and heavy lift ships should be moving those vessels and supplies but we are losing that capability.

I think we did 10 days USEC to Port Said for comparison.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 27, 2024

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

psydude posted:

So the problem here is that the Houthis are too independent and have their own motivations that are separate from Iran's. They're vying to gain legitimacy among the Arab world, and asserting themselves as an independent actor who's willing to attack "Western" shipping seems to be working. They gain nothing by finding common ground, because this isn't about asserting Iran's foreign policy objectives. It's about attaching themselves to a cause (the plight of the Palestinians) creating a story to support it.
The way we can tell if this is true or not is if the Houthis run out of drones. If they don't, then Iran is resupplying them and wants them to continue.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
There's plenty times where you stay loyal to your friends, even if you think they're being dicks. I wouldn't try to reach too much into it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

hello d&d refugees, please remember that things are done differently here

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

A.o.D. posted:

That doesn't seem right. The pier was stated to take 60 days to build. That article doesn't say the aid used the pier, just a pier, and that one was in the north and was at a purpose built location called the "World Kitchen Jetty". The proposed JLOTS location will likely be elsewhere, and will be capable of handling thousands of tons of goods at a time, not a mere 200.

The World Kitchen effort is different from the pier the US is building. Both will be staging aid through Cyprus, which may be causing some of the confusion. The US pier project will be built by some very slow ships currently crossing the Atlantic.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Has there been any progress for that plan? I'm unsure whether it has been set in motion or not. Or will Biden wait on whether the IDF attacks Rafah? I think the longer he waits, the less likely it is that the pier will be built at all.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Has there been any progress for that plan? I'm unsure whether it has been set in motion or not. Or will Biden wait on whether the IDF attacks Rafah? I think the longer he waits, the less likely it is that the pier will be built at all.

The boats are currently crossing the Atlantic. They are very slow.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Torrannor posted:

Has there been any progress for that plan? I'm unsure whether it has been set in motion or not.

Weeks out.

Defense Official posted:

As you all know, the U.S. military is undertaking to establish a temporary maritime corridor for humanitarian assistance, and that is in process, and we expect it to be operational within the coming weeks. That's a very important component of the broader humanitarian effort, or effort to respond to the humanitarian needs in Gaza. It's not, of course, designed as an end in itself, but as an accelerant for additional aid through land crossings, through commercial solutions that might succeed it in the maritime space and through all other international efforts to increase aid delivery and distribution, to include the airdrops that we are also involved in.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...tion-in-israel/

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Grip it and rip it posted:

Well posting is praxis, and sometimes you show your whole rear end...

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
drat Israel, just because you Quds, doesn’t mean you should(s).

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

boooo

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I will shed no tears for an IRGC Quds Force general getting whacked by Israel.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Also when israel wants to not kill a bunch of civilians, they can totally do that. They just really don't give a gently caress about Palestinians.
Also looks like they didn't wanna nail the historic building next to the consulate:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Vahakyla posted:

Also when israel wants to not kill a bunch of civilians, they can totally do that. They just really don't give a gently caress about Palestinians.
Also looks like they didn't wanna nail the historic building next to the consulate:

Employees of a consulate are civilians. This strike (in Damascus, Iranian consulate, targeting Iranian military dude) was more precise and planned than what they do in Gaza but the tactics are consistent.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
This seems like quite the escalating move. Maybe the protests in Israel have convinced Bibi that he needs more distractions.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Meanwhile, in events sure to not bother anyone in Israel, the Israeli government is moving ahead to include a major ultra-orthodox sect into the draft when previously they've been exempt.

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1774508170377126268#m

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

This seems like quite the escalating move. Maybe the protests in Israel have convinced Bibi that he needs more distractions.

Yes and yes.

Israel would love for Iran to fire some ballistic missiles into Tel Aviv because it would very likely bring the US into the war.

Iran is far from innocent here: Hezbollah has launched thousands of missiles into Northern Israel since the start of the war, displacing thousands of people.

But Iran has eaten plenty of airstrikes in Syria over the last number of years. I doubt they'll react in a crazy way.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Cythereal posted:

Meanwhile, in events sure to not bother anyone in Israel, the Israeli government is moving ahead to include a major ultra-orthodox sect into the draft when previously they've been exempt.

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1774508170377126268#m

Seems fair. If you support a war, you should go fight in it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Count Roland posted:

Employees of a consulate are civilians. This strike (in Damascus, Iranian consulate, targeting Iranian military dude) was more precise and planned than what they do in Gaza but the tactics are consistent.

Targeting Consulates is pretty frowned upon, I though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Targeting Consulates is pretty frowned upon, I though.

If I wasn't clear then yes, it sure is. Diplomatic staff that work at consulates are not military targets.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Count Roland posted:

If I wasn't clear then yes, it sure is. Diplomatic staff that work at consulates are not military targets.

Yeah, that's gotta be spooking some people. If you can just airstrike other countries consulates, then really everything is fair game.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
And embassies and their grounds, including consulates, are generally considered a small slice of sovereign land abroad. So diplomatically different from killing a foreign military official on third-party ground.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I guess they figure if they're getting enthusiastic support to do naked genocide, all bets are off and they can gently caress all the norms of the game. Further eroding the order America built after the second World War.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Founder of World Central Kitchen Says Several Workers Killed in Gaza Airstrike https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/01/...uNRC3Sh-&ugrp=m

Looks like they bombed some more aid workers. Just a little whoopsie daisy.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

And embassies and their grounds, including consulates, are generally considered a small slice of sovereign land abroad. So diplomatically different from killing a foreign military official on third-party ground.

Although it's widely believed, this isn't true. The territory of embassies and consulates are still sovereign territory of the host country. They do enjoy a lot of special protections under the Vienna Conventions, but that isn't one of them.

If, as some of the reporting implies, the only people killed were IRGC officers, they probably weren't consulate staff/security so they probably don't have consular protections. The premises itself are still supposed to be inviolable, though.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

mrmcd posted:

Founder of World Central Kitchen Says Several Workers Killed in Gaza Airstrike https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/01/...uNRC3Sh-&ugrp=m

Looks like they bombed some more aid workers. Just a little whoopsie daisy.

Jose Andres is basically a goddamn saint, I expect to see the Swiss Guards mobilized by sundown

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dopilsya posted:

Although it's widely believed, this isn't true. The territory of embassies and consulates are still sovereign territory of the host country. They do enjoy a lot of special protections under the Vienna Conventions, but that isn't one of them.

If, as some of the reporting implies, the only people killed were IRGC officers, they probably weren't consulate staff/security so they probably don't have consular protections. The premises itself are still supposed to be inviolable, though.

Thats a lot of hairs to split to claim its ok.

Its not ok though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I would personally be somewhat surprised if a consulate had no consulate staff. So considering the total demolition of the building I'm not going to believe it only killed "IRGC officers."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dopilsya posted:

Although it's widely believed, this isn't true.

I could have been more precise with "generally," but the mission is protected. No, it doesn't mean that once you give up land for an embassy to the sending, they can just hot-swap it for a SAM site or something and go "nuh uh, it's my land now," but striking an embassy or consulate is decidedly different from striking military officials on land that is not associated with a diplomatic mission.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

One only heard about the deaths of the IRGC dudes. I also assume a consulate would have a bunch of office workers but maybe the strike was in the middle of the night or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It was a building adjacent to the consulate that was owned by Iran, so it was probably accommodations for the IRCG officers.

Apparently one of the guys was in charge of all of their operations in the Levant.