Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Every time I see a TSR post without a wave of horny emojis my eyes just skip right past it. It feels like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkNuo1P7M0s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Inceltown posted:

They don't stop coming

“What’s in your pants?”

“The wrong kind of RAM.”

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

kazil posted:

So Jesus wasn't Black? He was Gray?

Until he fought the Balrog, and came back from the dead three days later as Jesus The White.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
you'd be crazy NOT to :shuckyes:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My Lada let's me connect with Karl Marx.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Flesh Forge posted:

Of course someone who paid for a blue check would have that take.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Love to hop on facebook to keep in touch with my family and just get a constant stream of weird AI generated content.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

rodbeard posted:

Love to hop on facebook to keep in touch with my family and just get a constant stream of weird AI generated content.

My parents demanded I look at Facebook to see their vacation photos and I scrolled through four different promoted AI images of Jesus with a bunch of hashtags of various hot actresses.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Flesh Forge posted:

I mean yeah, sure, if owning a car that I paid $3k a month on earned me millions then it would be a good investment. Just point me to where that sort of thing happens

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
well if you don't invest that money it definitely isn't going to dumbass!!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If I win 90 000 000 in Eurojackpot, I'm gonna go around America or whatever shithole and offer Internet people either 250 000 USD cash or a dinner with Jay Z and they'll pick the latter because IDK why the hell. There'll be no dinner, why the gently caress would Jay Z have dinner with some fucko. I don't really know him that well anyway.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

he's 100% one of those SIGMA GRINDSET idiots who are all like "why would you accept eleventy billion dollars for free when you could GRIND HARD and make $100 a day FOR LIFE"

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

the classic

https://twitter.com/JxNxTHxNL/status/1344125225303207936?lang=en

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is that the same hustle bro that said 10$ per month is better than a single one million dollar payout because 10$ is as long as you live, while one million is only once.

ignore that even the worst saving interest rate for 1 000 000 or a boring index would be better.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!
"Actually, Nepo Babies are superior and deserve their position because :biotruths:"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Panfilo posted:

"Actually, Nepo Babies are superior and deserve their position because :biotruths:"

this the nepo baby version of “my family never owned slaves therefore I’ve never benefited from the racist system”

Yeah you didn’t get jobs specifically because your dad was a cinematographer but obviously he knew people and got you in the room with them where others would never be

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
"Some people are genetically superior and I'm not one of them" is some kind of weird 4D cope

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Of all the nepobaby hills to die on you chose Zooey Deschanel? Aim higher, cmon!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

is that the same hustle bro that said 10$ per month is better than a single one million dollar payout because 10$ is as long as you live, while one million is only once.

ignore that even the worst saving interest rate for 1 000 000 or a boring index would be better.

I think the one I remember was $50 a week or a million bucks now and he was all 'secure that passive income' like come on a million dollars has passive income my man.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A million dollars of passive income right now, for one.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

teen witch posted:

Of all the nepobaby hills to die on you chose Zooey Deschanel? Aim higher, cmon!

don't diss my manic pixie princess

loose goose
Oct 29, 2012

once i possess what i desire the millenium rod will mean absolutely nothing to me

Aramoro posted:

I think the one I remember was $50 a week or a million bucks now and he was all 'secure that passive income' like come on a million dollars has passive income my man.

as long as I live for 385 years I'll make more money than a one time payment of 1 million dollars!!!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

this the nepo baby version of “my family never owned slaves therefore I’ve never benefited from the racist system”

Yeah you didn’t get jobs specifically because your dad was a cinematographer but obviously he knew people and got you in the room with them where others would never be

The Nepobaby thing is mostly people not understanding nepotism. Like I could have become a plumber very easily because my father was a plumber. I could have worked on the sites from 16 if I had wanted to. My father was a tradesman our family social circle were tradesmen. I would have still had to do the training and get my certs but the opportunity was there. That's not nepotism. If my father had gotten me a job ahead of my peers then that would have been, and he 100% would have as did anyone else who's son was going on the tools.

The question of nepotism isn't just they grew up in that environment but that their relatives actually getting them jobs or not. Like is Timothée Chalamet uncle picking him for roles and I can't see how that would happen. I don't see Denis Villeneuve picking Rodman Flender nephew for a role because he's Rodman Flender nephew.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

"Some people are genetically superior and I'm not one of them" is some kind of weird 4D cope

It's not my fault I suck out loud!

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Aramoro posted:

The Nepobaby thing is mostly people not understanding nepotism. Like I could have become a plumber very easily because my father was a plumber. I could have worked on the sites from 16 if I had wanted to. My father was a tradesman our family social circle were tradesmen. I would have still had to do the training and get my certs but the opportunity was there. That's not nepotism. If my father had gotten me a job ahead of my peers then that would have been, and he 100% would have as did anyone else who's son was going on the tools.

The question of nepotism isn't just they grew up in that environment but that their relatives actually getting them jobs or not. Like is Timothée Chalamet uncle picking him for roles and I can't see how that would happen. I don't see Denis Villeneuve picking Rodman Flender nephew for a role because he's Rodman Flender nephew.

Obviously he was picked for dune because of his sick xbox 360 controller modding youtube channel.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

plumbing ain't the entertainment industry

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

hawowanlawow posted:

plumbing ain't the entertainment industry

Yeah, one's full of poo poo and the other is plumbing!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 39 minutes!
Would Elizabeth Holmes be an example of a nepo baby? No way would she have managed to pull that kind of con without her dad's DoD buddies and neighbors throwing seed money her way.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There's a difference between nepotism in the plumbing industry where there are half a million or so jobs and nepotism in the entertainment industry where there are 50 thousand jobs, of which 1000 are high paying and high status.

Nobody begrudges Margot Martindale for coming from a wealthy family and pursuing her love of acting into a steady career, they roll their eyes when Deacon Philippe gets his break with a named speaking role on a relatively big show as his first acting gig because Mindy Kaling was told by a friend that he had an interest in acting.

Edit: I didn't know that off the top of my head, I googled nepo baby actors and read the story.

JamOnBread
Jan 12, 2020

Dr. Stab posted:

Obviously he was picked for dune because of his sick xbox 360 controller modding youtube channel.

Everybody knows Denis loves a good modded Xbox 360 controller. It's an open secret in the industry.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

My penis is self-cleaning like an oven or cat.

Huh.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

There's a difference between nepotism in the plumbing industry where there are half a million or so jobs and nepotism in the entertainment industry where there are 50 thousand jobs, of which 1000 are high paying and high status.

Nobody begrudges Margot Martindale for coming from a wealthy family and pursuing her love of acting into a steady career, they roll their eyes when Deacon Philippe gets his break with a named speaking role on a relatively big show as his first acting gig because Mindy Kaling was told by a friend that he had an interest in acting.

Edit: I didn't know that off the top of my head, I googled nepo baby actors and read the story.

There is a difference but that's not the wider point I was getting at. Having a family member work in an industry makes it more likely that you will work in that industry, be it plumbing, lawyer, doctor, actor. You're around it all the time growing up so it feels like a good idea. It's not in and of itself nepotism.

Right now what we have is anyone with any family member working in the entertainment industry, in almost any capacity is called a Nepobaby. That should be reserved for when someone is given a role because of who their family members are, I don't think anyone thinks Jayden Smith is where he is on his raw talent.

Being rich is far more advantageous than any amount of familial connection, If you can afford to go to Juilliard etc you have a much better chance than someone who cannot. This is just run of the mill rich people poo poo and not really anything to do with nepotism.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Aramoro posted:

That should be reserved for when someone is given a role because of who their family members are

well that's definitely what is happening

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"oh, your dad was a cinematographer Zoey? Oh cool cool. What did your mom do?"

I actually don't care about nepotism in Hollywood because acting is already a fake job that doesn't matter. My friend's mom worked for a relatively large bakery, she was forced out due to downsizing caused by the boss hiring his idiot nephew for a senior role and he torpedoed the bakery.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Aramoro posted:

There is a difference but that's not the wider point I was getting at. Having a family member work in an industry makes it more likely that you will work in that industry, be it plumbing, lawyer, doctor, actor. You're around it all the time growing up so it feels like a good idea. It's not in and of itself nepotism.

Right now what we have is anyone with any family member working in the entertainment industry, in almost any capacity is called a Nepobaby. That should be reserved for when someone is given a role because of who their family members are, I don't think anyone thinks Jayden Smith is where he is on his raw talent.

Being rich is far more advantageous than any amount of familial connection, If you can afford to go to Juilliard etc you have a much better chance than someone who cannot. This is just run of the mill rich people poo poo and not really anything to do with nepotism.

It’s not the literal dictionary definition of nepotism, but we don’t really have a word for that kind of nepotism-adjacency. As to your last point, it’s kind of moot, and also I don’t really agree. If you’re rich you probably have family connections. And there have been countless cases of people who became rich or successful because they had family connections. Connections matter more than anything else, though of course being rich makes those connections worth more

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/UltraDane/status/1774545330698433020

Some spectacular doubling down in the comments. Of course this being Twitter post-Musk, it's impossible to tell if this is bluecheck engagement farming or legitimate idiocy.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hey, you know this poo poo that's been hanging off our heads for the last several millennia? Guess what? You can DO stuff with it!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

iirc vikings invented spitting and blowing your nose into a big bowl and drinking it

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I have it on good authority that the people of Gdansk were the first to invent Hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004
What the hell was with the attempt to style the loose stragglers of hair that didn't make it into the braid?