Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

FurtherReading posted:

Irish reddit has this weird thing now and again where people accuse normal Irish things of being made up by Americans.

A few weeks ago a guy on the Cork city subreddit insisted "jail" is something only Americans would say and Irish people only say prison. Which is odd when one of the big tourist attractions in the city is the old jail (albeit spelt Gaol).

Today one of the top posts is about how OP never heard of anyone called "O'Kelly" in Ireland and there's a bunch of people saying Americans added the O to Kelly to make it more Irish, but it is super common in the west of the country.

I guess they've become so terminally online that they only know of their country through the lens of American media. It's bizarre.

IME it's less just know of their country through the lens of American media, and more have formed their national identity through opposition to American media... and still consume it anyways. So they get mixed up and think because they learned it from an American source, it's automatically fake.

I've seen that kind of behavior from a bunch of people of various European nationalities and it's always shut-ins who don't actually engage with the real world or actual children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

ian miles o’cheong

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's almost like there are organized agencies committed to altering the narrative of regional social media via roleplaying as locals :v:

Oh yeah, that's certainly a thing too. The difference here is that I feel like I'm seeing Irish people who have been the victim of those groups. It's kind of sad to see its success in action.

As an aside, one thing that's really funny about those groups is they know so little about Ireland that they miss opportunities to use our history and culture in their propaganda. Like the Irish Brexit supporters awkwardly call it Irexit, which is weird and poo poo. An Irish language version would be "Eireamach" which slaps.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FurtherReading posted:

Oh yeah, that's certainly a thing too. The difference here is that I feel like I'm seeing Irish people who have been the victim of those groups. It's kind of sad to see its success in action.

As an aside, one thing that's really funny about those groups is they know so little about Ireland that they miss opportunities to use our history and culture in their propaganda. Like the Irish Brexit supporters awkwardly call it Irexit, which is weird and poo poo. An Irish language version would be "Eireamach" which slaps.

Counterpoint : don’t give the fascists help. I’d prefer if Ireland stayed in the EU.

Also just cause I’m curious, how do the Erin Go Brexiteers align with regards to actually speaking Irish? It seems like it’d have all sorts of attractions to them from a traditionalist/cultural perspective, but actually learning a language is difficult and language revitalization is 90% support for minority group rights. My from the hip guess would be that they mangle a bunch of random stuff that they think is good PR and do absolutely gently caress all else, but I’d love to be informed instead of taking stabs in the dark.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The Australian subreddit has a similar problem, where they can’t accept the idea that a country this size has regional differences.

They are also are weird about “gaol” which is funny as we were a prison colony and many descend from convicts.

Mostly they complain about supermarket prices and oversized American trucks.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

well why not posted:

Mostly they complain about supermarket prices and oversized American trucks.

I mean yeah they both suck tho right?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

I mean yeah they both suck tho right?

It’s not that bad as far as subreddits go, which may be the faintest praise I’ve ever heaped out.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Counterpoint : don’t give the fascists help. I’d prefer if Ireland stayed in the EU.

Also just cause I’m curious, how do the Erin Go Brexiteers align with regards to actually speaking Irish? It seems like it’d have all sorts of attractions to them from a traditionalist/cultural perspective, but actually learning a language is difficult and language revitalization is 90% support for minority group rights. My from the hip guess would be that they mangle a bunch of random stuff that they think is good PR and do absolutely gently caress all else, but I’d love to be informed instead of taking stabs in the dark.

Good thing the fascists aren't organising on something awful.

As for your question. They use the same talking points used elsewhere and totally ignore the local cultural things like speaking Irish. That's the entire point I'm making - they focus on how western white culture is under threat from immigrants rather than Irish culture which is what makes it so obvious that it's poorly researched foreign propaganda.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

FurtherReading posted:

In case that's sarcasm, point it out immediately and loudly. That poo poo can't be tolerated

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

In case that's sarcasm, point it out immediately and loudly. That poo poo can't be tolerated

It's not, it's a response to the guy saying I'm helping fascism by pointing out how bad fascists are about incorporating local stuff into their propaganda.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

FurtherReading posted:

really now

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FurtherReading posted:

It's not, it's a response to the guy saying I'm helping fascism by pointing out how bad fascists are about incorporating local stuff into their propaganda.

To be clear, it wasn’t meant as an accusation so much as “lol maybe giving ideological enemies tactical advice isn’t the best use of your time”. Because I do that too.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

To be clear, it wasn’t meant as an accusation so much as “lol maybe giving ideological enemies tactical advice isn’t the best use of your time”. Because I do that too.

Again, I'm certain that the mushy brains behind irexit aren't in the thread with us right now. Don't worry I'm not going to go suggest better wordplay to them next time I get handed a flyer or whatever.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Ok cool, hi5s all around for keeping something awful basically the only worthwhile place to converse on the internet

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Sentient Data posted:

Ok cool, hi5s all around for keeping something awful basically the only worthwhile place to converse on the internet

:hfive:

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Sorry guys, too late - I've screenshoted this thread and will share it at the next Ireland for de Irish meeting. It's outside a hotel full of Ukrainian refugees and our key note speaker is thon fella from the Corrs.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

FurtherReading posted:

As for your question. They use the same talking points used elsewhere and totally ignore the local cultural things like speaking Irish. That's the entire point I'm making - they focus on how western white culture is under threat from immigrants rather than Irish culture which is what makes it so obvious that it's poorly researched foreign propaganda.

ah yes, the proud history of western white culture and it’s famous defense of irish people :stare:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

FurtherReading posted:

It's like that meme that goes around constantly showing a kid in an army uniform and saying something like "back in my day the boys were men and they stormed Normandy and fought for the stars and stripes"

Except the kid is wearing a Russian red army uniform.

They spread a bunch of bullshit narrative around specifically to sow discord and create tensions and chaos among different regional populations. The fact that it's so dumb is part of the plan because it gets two groups to get angry at each other.

And they are very successful as evidenced by the past 8+ years of everything.

e: My point is that yes it probably is people who were influenced by Russian memes, not the Russian memesters themselves

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 1, 2024

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
if you can't destroy the internet, the next best thing is to ignore it

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
still working on destroying the internet, it's also based out of new jersey. don't count me out.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ever since Isambard Kingdom Brunel laid the first transatlantic cable things have gone downhill for humanity.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

You're welcome.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kntfkr posted:

still working on destroying the internet, it's also based out of new jersey. don't count me out.

Cut the red wire, man.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

It's like that meme that goes around constantly showing a kid in an army uniform and saying something like "back in my day the boys were men and they stormed Normandy and fought for the stars and stripes"

They spread a bunch of bullshit narrative around specifically to sow discord and create tensions and chaos among different regional populations. The fact that it's so dumb is part of the plan because it gets two groups to get angry at each other.

e: My point is that yes it probably is people who were influenced by Russian memes, not the Russian memesters themselves

as a meme war veteran, all I can say, is quoted for truth, brother.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

As a meme war veteran, all I can say is can i haz cheeseburge

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Whatever, I'll be over here with my Demotivational Posters

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Apparently the reddit execs have been selling off a ton of their shares since the IPO.

I'm not a finance guy though so I don't know if it's enough to be a bad look.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

relax theyll buy them all up again after it crashes

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
yikes

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

I remember that one. It was the first yandex result for "child soldier".

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I'm a loser and women my age can see it, but younger women don't realize I'm a loser yet so that's why I have to date them.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Man if they woke up to post that lmao.

Did you even brush your teeth yet before you went to the front lines of the gender war?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

I don’t see how someone could stand dating someone not in their own age bracket unless they were some kinda weirdo. Once I dated an 18 year old guy when I was 19 for a week and even that was too awkward for me. Trying to take a 20 something out as a 40 year old would feel like babysitting.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

emSparkly posted:

I don’t see how someone could stand dating someone not in their own age bracket unless they were some kinda weirdo. Once I dated an 18 year old guy when I was 19 for a week and even that was too awkward for me. Trying to take a 20 something out as a 40 year old would feel like babysitting.

It helps if you don't see women as people and/or if you're a pathetic overgrown child

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

He just wants to gently caress and he should just say that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://old.reddit.com/r/cybertruck/comments/1bu3gjj/i_got_pulled_over_11_times_on_my_trip/

lmao

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

emSparkly posted:

A couple years ago I went out with a 21 year old as a 31 year old, all they could talk about conversation-wise was how good I look for the first date, and the second date they went through with shopping with me so we could make out. I told them I was feeling sick and left before that.

I’ll go back to dating women 15 years older than me thank you very much

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

emSparkly posted:

I was a Rocko's Modern Life kid, she was a Wild Thornberries girl... We were from different eras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

no point in dating someone you can’t learn anything from