Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

busalover posted:

Also there are open source commits for Windows, what

Windows is proprietary but it uses various open source libraries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Deus Ex Human Revolution taught me you should probably wait a few days even for major hotfixes and see if early adopters patchers find more bugs.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Barrel Cactaur posted:

It's not bad in principal, (namely I agree with a lot of what it was trying to do) but it was trying to solve a problem about 15-20 years before it happened. So it's kinda out of touch. Now I wouldn't trust entrenched interests to put in some dangerous or poisonous language. As is its better than sopa and pipa were going to be.
Yeah it's definitely something that needs to be updated with the times. There's supposedly an update trying to get through now... I'm not sure if today's politicians will manage to put it through without some crazy "anti-woke" amendments or not though.

I remember being required by clients to read the entire act when the data privacy stuff was added in 2011. It has been a useful tool in making sure people don't put sketchy poo poo in their analytics, or implement features that could unintentionally track personal data about kids.

It's getting harder these days though. There are cameras and microphones in everything, and so much poo poo gets sent through the cloud to 3rd party servers. I have had to tell folks more than once that their killer app idea would get them sued to death.

Luckily there are a few companies who focus on COPPA compliant products like offline speech recognition made specifically for kids.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
why do apps need sooo many tracking hooks for stuff?

like I occasional take a look at DuckDuckGo's tracker blocking feature and its amazing that other apps asking for all these bits of info. it amazes me that from top to bottom lawmakers and endusers let the horses out of the barn and are now maybe going "maybe we shouldnot let these apps ask for location/THING in 5+ different ways?"

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

PhazonLink posted:

like I occasional take a look at DuckDuckGo's tracker blocking feature and its amazing that other apps asking for all these bits of info. it amazes me that from top to bottom lawmakers and endusers let the horses out of the barn and are now maybe going "maybe we shouldnot let these apps ask for location/THING in 5+ different ways?"

Advertisers are convinced(or more specifically, have convinced much of the ad purchasing market) that if they deliver the perfect ad to the consumer, tuned exactly to their interests, it will convince them to purchase the product. So they want to know absolutely everything about the consumer to try and create and use this magic ad targeting formula.

It doesn't work and over analyzes to the point of simply showing you another version of your last 5 purchases but it's deep in the MBA/business bro hustle. Ad departments productivity is hard to measure, so they tend to be wildly over funded and like any good bureaucracy run off spend it or loose it and can't psychologically accept loosing it

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

PhazonLink posted:

Need? It's never been about need. A few years back I worked on a project to add location tracking/permission to an app and the entire motivation was to see how many users would just do it. It wasn't tied to functionality or anything else.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Going to impose a tax on each piece of personally identifiable information collected beyond name/email/postal address (if they prove they need to know it)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
like bouncers or cashiers at bars/clubs or booze stores dont have perfect photo memory, like if they do an ID check they probably shortcut it with just the birth year, or if theyre unsure, check a nearby page a day calendar and then check to see if a ID is real and not fake.

why does facebook or other sites get to store a pic of an ID forever in their data horde ?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

sinky posted:

Going to impose a tax on each piece of personally identifiable information collected beyond name/email/postal address (if they prove they need to know it)

Or, alternately, I can accept this more-modestly-sized-than-you'd-think sack of cash, and continue to let companies do whatever they want to your data, while talking about how I've been on a privacy crusade for you

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PhazonLink posted:

like bouncers or cashiers at bars/clubs or booze stores dont have perfect photo memory, like if they do an ID check they probably shortcut it with just the birth year, or if theyre unsure, check a nearby page a day calendar and then check to see if a ID is real and not fake.

why does facebook or other sites get to store a pic of an ID forever in their data horde ?

There are college town bars that scan/swipe your id, I assume to protect themselves if they get caught up in an underage drinking sting.

Anyway, for a website, deleting potentially valuable data is harming shareholder value.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh yeah I've seen scaners before at a passport center and the DMV. (in fact recently doing some gov. id renewal stuff, I lol at how fast the DMV just scanned my paper work and do a old fashion human inspection of the ID and go "k good wait there", some paper please pro energy, wasnt sure if Bouncers at high through put places would do them.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
MKBHD posted a Cybertruck review and two things stuck out:

1. The door of his test model had this huge panel gap and then it just broke. He fixed it with duct tape. This wasn't a loaned test model, this was a production model someone bought.

2. Tesla released a commercial that showed a Cybertruck towing a 911 beating a 911 in a drag race. Turns out, the Cybertruck is only capable of beating the 911 in a drag race up to the halfway point before the 911 overtakes it. I guess it's not false advertisement because it doesn't make any claims, it just shows footage of the truck going fast :allears:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Boris Galerkin posted:

MKBHD posted a Cybertruck review and two things stuck out:

1. The door of his test model had this huge panel gap and then it just broke. He fixed it with duct tape. This wasn't a loaned test model, this was a production model someone bought.

It's nota panel gap; it was already explained that the screws for the doors on some models weren't torqued enough, and would work loose. Once the door latch was in the correct spot, the panels lined up fine.

The owner really should take his unit to a tesla service center and get that actually fixed, though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Facetious posted:

It's nota panel gap; it was already explained that the screws for the doors on some models weren't torqued enough, and would work loose. Once the door latch was in the correct spot, the panels lined up fine.

The owner really should take his unit to a tesla service center and get that actually fixed, though.
I wouldn't do that, they might install the wrong hinge instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khPMITqp91I&t=1076s

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Mister Facetious posted:

alright we can get you in in two to six weeks we'll call you and let you know. we'll need to keep the cybertruck for 48 to 72 hours but will let you know when you can pick it up after we maybe put the doors on correctly for you like they should a been on day one

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

If you can wait for three months, sure. Or perhaps the service centers in the US are better than here in .no, where they only sold like 25,000 cars last year. They probably don't care about that tiny number, of course, but in the Model Y and Model 3 was 20% of ALL new car sales here for 2023. To note, 82% of all new cars that year were fully electric cars, 13% somekindahybrid, 1.2% petrol and 2.5% diesel. Oh, and 2 (two) hydrogen cars lol.

You'd think a serious company would take better care of their local customers even though it's a small market, but, well... it's Tesla.

F4rt5 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 1, 2024

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Advertisers are convinced(or more specifically, have convinced much of the ad purchasing market) that if they deliver the perfect ad to the consumer, tuned exactly to their interests, it will convince them to purchase the product. So they want to know absolutely everything about the consumer to try and create and use this magic ad targeting formula.

It doesn't work and over analyzes to the point of simply showing you another version of your last 5 purchases but it's deep in the MBA/business bro hustle. Ad departments productivity is hard to measure, so they tend to be wildly over funded and like any good bureaucracy run off spend it or loose it and can't psychologically accept loosing it

Its a bull market fiction that everyone has collectively bought into because ad networks get paid, ad execs get paid, content creators get paid, and the CEOs who are theoretically losing money on these expensive unproductive marketing departments don't (or didn't) give a poo poo because investment capital was cheap and easy to come by. It might unravel in the next few years because Gen AI is aggregating all this content without giving anyone impressions to get paid on and interest rates are sky high compared to a few years ago. Or it might not because the system is too big to fail and there’s no other viable monetization scheme to fund all of the internet’s content at scale.

nachos fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 1, 2024

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
There's already too much internet content as it is. We could do with an implosion to reset things back to a reasonable state of content production and payment models.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Do we really want to see youtube pivot to lootboxes?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-68609431

quote:

AI photos show people with secondary breast cancer their lost future

Anyone living with an incurable illness faces the agony of fearing they will miss out on future precious moments with their family.

From attending a child's wedding to taking a special holiday, 10 people living with secondary breast cancer have been given a glimpse into a future they know they may not live to see.

Using AI and photos taken by renowned photographer Jillian Edelstein, the images make up the Gallery of Hope at London's Saatchi Gallery.

Not gonna quote the whole article but you can click it to see the pictures.

TLDR 10 people volunteered to let a photographer combine their pictures with AI to imagine the future they'll never have.

I… don't know how I feel about this. I think it's a nightmare for sure. The whole concept/idea is ghoulish and disgusting. But it also gives these people comfort and they volunteered.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Seems like an unsettling thing to see but it also isn't practically different from traditional photo manipulation

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I don’t think this is really an AI issue. You could make speculative art about a person’s hypothetical future before AI, all this is doing is using AI to grab the headlines, and to make the art shittier.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Tiny Timbs posted:

Seems like an unsettling thing to see but it also isn't practically different from traditional photo manipulation

Yeah, stuff like this has been done for decades but now you get to include the Current Keyword that makes shares go up in the headline, so news is all over this again

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/apr/01/google-destroying-browsing-data-privacy-lawsuit

Incognito mode, so no one can track you... Except us, we will track you.

An on going nightmare that will get worse as AI use eats at margins and these companies try and make money anywhere they can.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
LMAO this is amazing, so that "just take your stuff and walk out" advanced camera and sensor technology Amazon has for their stores is being phased out so you'll just have regular checkout and some scanners/screens built into your cart (so you check yourself out while you're shopping).

I'm sure everyone here remembers the many discussions about it in this or similar threads. Won't people just shoplift it to hell anyway, a single sensor is off does it end up charging you $200 for a loaf of bread, if they still need staff on hand to run the store anyway why even bother with all this, etc.

Don't worry, the real reason is a lot worse.

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-reportedly-ditches-just-walk-out-grocery-stores-1851381116

So the "technology" that they use is incredibly expensive, because it involves all of these camera...that are being watched by outsourced workers in other countries who then assign what they see you pick up to your receipt, and their accuracy was not high enough. So instead of just paying people to be there they dropped all this $$$ on having these very expensive camera setups so that groups of people in other countries could be observing the footage and adding up your stuff.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

LMAO this is amazing, so that "just take your stuff and walk out" advanced camera and sensor technology Amazon has for their stores is being phased out so you'll just have regular checkout and some scanners/screens built into your cart (so you check yourself out while you're shopping).

I'm sure everyone here remembers the many discussions about it in this or similar threads. Won't people just shoplift it to hell anyway, a single sensor is off does it end up charging you $200 for a loaf of bread, if they still need staff on hand to run the store anyway why even bother with all this, etc.

https://gizmodo.com/amazon-reportedly-ditches-just-walk-out-grocery-stores-1851381116

So the "technology" that they use is incredibly expensive, because it involves all of these camera...that are being watched by outsourced workers in other countries who then assign what they see you pick up to your receipt, and their accuracy was not high enough. So instead of just paying people to be there they dropped all this $$$ on having these very expensive camera setups so that groups of people in other countries could be observing the footage and adding up your stuff.

It's rare I'm surprised by the depravity of corporations. I shouldn't be but this is just insanity.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Neo Rasa posted:

Amazon Fresh was always designed as a testbed for the camera/sensor setup. The outsourced workers were primarily verification and error correction - the goal wasn't to confirm customers were being charged correctly, but to help improve the technology to a point where Amazon could offer it as another product or service to other physical retailers.

The first iteration (which is now being sunsetted) was never intended as the final version. The final version of this would be a complete product where Amazon would approach a company like Best Buy and say "Why not do away with all of those pesky employees? We can install cameras and sensors to track customers and their purchases, we'll handle the payment side as well." It was an attempt to take over a much large slice of the physical retail market.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Mechanical Mumbaikar.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Maybe now is a good time to start asking questions about how quickly amazon's services are just falling off a cliff in general, like it's STARTLING

They're out wish dot comming wish dot com, it's like ADVANCED enshittification rate

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

AI = "Absent Indian" never fails

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Staluigi posted:

Maybe now is a good time to start asking questions about how quickly amazon's services are just falling off a cliff in general, like it's STARTLING

They're out wish dot comming wish dot com, it's like ADVANCED enshittification rate

They made it too easy for people to list products on their site, and are getting absolutely crushed by it now. Turns out that having things like trusted suppliers, a trusted supply chain, and safe products actually matter. Every person I know has severely curtailed what they're willing to buy on Amazon at this point - no electronics, no kitchen stuff, nothing that can be easily faked.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
^^^ beaten to the point and the same feedback I hear from friends.

Even their core product is awful now. Full of fake reviews, fake products and dodgy service.

I see people going crazy for Temu now though, which seems even more shady with it's $50 for all your data giveaways.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 2, 2024

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Trying to buy anything on Amazon feels like going shopping in a shady flea market now, it's kind of insane how quickly and how far the experience fell (presumably in service of number go up)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
What, you don't like going on Amazon to buy something and see 39087487643 entries for the same 2-3 models of something being sold by sellers like BEEPO or GUGEL, totally real companies that aren't just Alibaba resellers?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Staluigi posted:

Mega Comrade posted:

^^^ beaten to the point and the same feedback I hear from friends.

Even their core product is awful now. Full of fake reviews, fake products and dodgy service.

I see people going crazy for Temu now though, which seems even more shady with it's $50 for all your data giveaways.

Same here, like when they added commercials to Prime video we cancelled it, and it wasn't like some conflicted "but I want to watch X stuff and need Y things shipped to us the next day" situation we just cancelled it no hesitation. But then doing that made us realize how much less we were actually buying stuff from Amazon over the past two years.

Even as recently as two years ago when they raised it from 130 or whatever to 180 in rapid succession I'd have laughed at the concept of cancelling Prime.

But over that amount of time Prime went from "okay if you really poke around and are careful" to just plain poo poo.

I don't use AliExpress often but I actually trust AliExpress significantly more than Amazon, there's plenty of fake stuff and crap on there too but I find it a lot easier to discern that confidently from their site and have gotten burned zero times unlike with Amazon.

Banggood and Temu seem just about as bad as Amazon though. I feel like maybe a year ago Temu just vomited all over all mobile advertising on every app and platform for like two months straight and I guess it worked, we have some younger relatives and have heard them all mention using it at some point recently.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

AliExpress is great, but twice now I've recommended it to people who said they're not gonna use it because of bad experiences with Amazon :psyduck: Bezos giving Chinese dropshipping a bad name

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Evil Fluffy posted:

What, you don't like going on Amazon to buy something and see 39087487643 entries for the same 2-3 models of something being sold by sellers like BEEPO or GUGEL, totally real companies that aren't just Alibaba resellers?

Same with Etsy. Same with every open marketplace. gently caress even small time "local" consignment shop websites and storefronts are just reselling alibaba poo poo completely flooding out real products. gently caress, it's not even limited to online poo poo anymore.

I've given up going to one of my favorite yearly art shows because the last 3 years more than half, and last year nearly three quarters, of the booths were clearly just reselling white label mass market cheap "craft" blanks. Multiple pottery stalls right next to each other were selling the exact same cups and dishes and garbage tier epoxy x wood cutting boards with a surf/waves pattern on them. That's apart from the massive number of stalls selling straight up commercial products like windows, roofing, gutter guards, and MLM booths. There were SIX different Scentsy booths that they shoved off in their own corner of the property that smelled so strongly you couldn't get near it nor escape the smell of them all running multiple foggers of their lovely oils. My favorite example of how little effort people put into this poo poo though: A gardening/bonsai booth that was selling plants and cuttings that still had the home depot stickers on them, but with their own tags for like 3x the price. Absolutely no shame. And the "bonsai" trees were fresh cuttings that were just stuck in some gravel that were going to die in a few days but by the time you noticed something was off these people would be long gone.

If we were lucky there would be maybe 10 booths out of over a hundred that were actually showing off real art or crafts that were actually made by the exhibitors. Maybe, one or two of them were painters, one did pottery, one did repurposed industrial sculptures, and the rest were leather workers who were pretty much just making bags and belts and wallets off of the exact same templates.

It's the same goddamned sad story at every art show I've gone to in the last few years. So many booths just selling cheap crap they bought from alibaba or the oriental trading company. I kinda get it, art is difficult and these shows are primarily a way to generate some revenue for a gallery or local town or something so they want the booths filled up, but to not even curate a LITTLE bit or at least differentiate where the art and the commerce are located loving sucks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Staluigi posted:

Bring back Bezos!

Ruffian Price posted:

AliExpress is great, but twice now I've recommended it to people who said they're not gonna use it because of bad experiences with Amazon :psyduck: Bezos giving Chinese dropshipping a bad name
Aliexpress is kind of annoying in a similar way in that there are dozens of listing for the same thing, some of them are much cheaper but don't inclue shipping, others are cheaper because they're cheating and including a $5 cable as one over the "versions" of a laptop, some don't ship to your place, etc etc.

I never got to use Amazon much as we don't have it in my country but the few times I ordered in the US or Germany years ago it was a pretty smooth experience.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Amazon Fresh was always designed as a testbed for the camera/sensor setup. The outsourced workers were primarily verification and error correction - the goal wasn't to confirm customers were being charged correctly, but to help improve the technology to a point where Amazon could offer it as another product or service to other physical retailers.

The first iteration (which is now being sunsetted) was never intended as the final version. The final version of this would be a complete product where Amazon would approach a company like Best Buy and say "Why not do away with all of those pesky employees? We can install cameras and sensors to track customers and their purchases, we'll handle the payment side as well." It was an attempt to take over a much large slice of the physical retail market.
I tried it once when I was in Seattle and their test setup worked pretty drat well. From what I remember, I don't think there was any time for someone to manually enter your purchases as they sent you the bill after leaving the store.

With advances in computer vision this could be much more viable nowadays, though I wonder if it has any advantage over just having RFID tags on the goods as those are cheap as dirt.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I got invited a while back to get free items from Amazon in exchange for reviewing them (Vine) and the deluge of gibberish-branded knockoff poo poo is a huge problem there as well. I mostly browse the electronics section and there are a lot of items which are listed repeatedly by the same vendor (in some cases 50+ times) with zero or minor variations under different SKUs. Page after page of the same blue light blocking glasses, USB Bluetooth stubs which come in slightly different colors or include a different sticker with each listing, tablet stands which look identical and have minor differences in the title... the list goes on.

I would think that someone at Amazon is interested in curbing this behavior because it's a huge disincentive to users actually browsing through the selection instead of just searching for the specific items they know they might want, but I guess the powers that be either don't care or can't figure out what to do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I feel like it's still mostly fine if you are looking for a specific brand and model, if you're willing to do some due diligence and ensure that you are ordering something actually stocked and sold by Amazon or from a legit 3rd party, but using Amazon to browse for things if you haven't already decided on a specific product is an absolute nightmare.