Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

when you drop onto 7+ bot missions, it is imperative that the host pick the clearest location away from enemy presence, regardless of proximity to objectives. otherwise its way too common to end up in a death spiral that takes 5+ respawns to sort out

Or drop into a base. Kill its factories with your pods and after you have cleared it, use the sturdy defensive walls to protect you as you call in your kit and flex for the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Using the newly buffed Dominator and AMR and I have to ask: Why the hell can the AMR not stagger Devastators? I've come around on the AMR, it's pretty useful for bots, but boy does it suck when something isn't facing you head on for headshots.

LazyMaybe posted:

The white smoke didn't change at all. getting me all excited for nothing >:/
https://i.imgur.com/TjVg8pm.mp4
I'm guessing they used it with the flashlight off. It's a dramatic difference, the smoke is blinding if the flashlight is turned on and completely manageable without it.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Just saw a video of the bot walker and briefly saw it's called a Factory Strider(?). Guessing that means it's a mobile fabricator? That's awesome.

And damage buff to the AMR is a welcome surprise. I already loved using it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
All this gun talk of aim and crosshair positions, pshh. Just use the Sickle and send it. When you're done send some more. You can headshot all those bot mediums from great distances with the sickle sniper, or worst case dearm or derocket the annoying ones while you make your escape.

Jibs Monteef
Dec 13, 2009

causticBeet posted:

Idk if it’s because their static POI spawns are more spread out or something but even trying to go to the most empty area of the map seems like it can drop you into immediate combat.

I think the bigger part of this is just accepting that on high difficulty bots you may need to prioritize dealing with combat right off the bat and being ready for this, which sometimes means that you can’t call in support weapons as your first action.
Power steering for the hellpod helps a ton with landing behind cover from the POIs that mysteriously now all have cannon towers. But yeah, try to quickly get some airstrikes/orbitals out to wipe the guys who saw you land and grab your AC once you're behind a nice big chunk of hillside rather than milling about in a field with a dozen terminators staring at you after your loud as hell landing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Away all Goats posted:

Each helldiver bringing two mortars each is overkill and you will quickly get overrun, no wonder you find it tough

Unless they mean for staggered deployment so no sentries are waiting on cooldowns or missing because they've been destroyed.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Mortar’s are kind of trap stratagems as they aren’t that useful despite their ability to get kills. They aim at stuff you don’t want to shoot, teamkill everyone and are far too squishy.

The autocannon sentry is infinity more useful and doesn’t teamkill everyone every 5 seconds.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Lobok posted:

Unless they mean for staggered deployment so no sentries are waiting on cooldowns or missing because they've been destroyed.

yup, ems puts in so much work that its painful when it runs out of ammo. other mortar will clear out all the ems clouds full of stunned bots. having 2 mortars + 2 ems mortars with near 100% uptime makes a world of difference

Lord Packinham posted:

Mortar’s are kind of trap stratagems as they aren’t that useful despite their ability to get kills. They aim at stuff you don’t want to shoot, teamkill everyone and are far too squishy.

The autocannon sentry is infinity more useful and doesn’t teamkill everyone every 5 seconds.

the whole goal of eradicate missions is to kill bots. anything that brings that number up helps, and the arena is so small that any dead bot will help stave off being overrun since you cant just run away like in the large maps

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 2, 2024

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Counterpoint Mortars are extremely good against bots because they can kill literally everything dangerous while being safely in cover against retaliatory rocket spam.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Darox posted:

Counterpoint Mortars are extremely good against bots because they can kill literally everything dangerous while being safely in cover against retaliatory rocket spam.

They're especially good at killing other helldivers when the bots use jetpacks

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I have not used true mortar sentries for ages but EMS ones are gold. Use them on all kinds of missions.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
I dunno, they are good at killing trash mobs but l’d rather have another air strike or support weapon.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

its pretty easy to not get killed by mortars if you have a bit of battle awareness

they make a very distinct sound when they fire off four rounds and you can clearly see the rounds in the sky if you care to look, which isnt necessary. Just move away if you were close to an enemy when you hear it fire

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Lord Packinham posted:

On bots mortars are goated, they kill all sorts of stuff and make a lot of noise to distract those 6+ alarm dropships away from you. I use them on bot 8/9s and its fine great.

For bugs, don't use them they are needless TK machines. EM mortars are fine for bugs though.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

its pretty easy to not get killed by mortars if you have a bit of battle awareness

they make a very distinct sound when they fire off four rounds and you can clearly see the rounds in the sky if you care to look, which isnt necessary. Just move away if you were close to an enemy when you hear it fire

Most people don't have this awareness, and also similarly die multiple times to the bot mortars because they don't look for the shells.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Lord Packinham posted:

I dunno, they are good at killing trash mobs but l’d rather have another air strike or support weapon.

Mortars kill Devastators quickly and can kill Hulks and Tanks by themselves, though admittedly Hulks are a bit too fast and tanky to die quickly so they'll probably overrun the sentry unless distracted.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mortar sentries are good against robots imo. like yeah they'll kill you if you have melee dudes on top of you but the cool thing about robots is that they mostly aren't melee guys so you can reliably kill them before they get near you

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Qubee posted:

Having a nightmare of a time handling bots on Level 5 difficulty, primarily on the Eradicate missions that have low timer limits. It just consists of endless wave after endless wave with zero respite and we can't seem to gain a foothold or stand our ground. Then the tanks start dropping and it's even worse.

What should my loadout be for these kinds of missions? Everything deflects bullets so it seems almost impossible to make a literal dent in the vast swarms of beefy bots. I have EATs but they're just not quick enough to wipe out the threats before they replenish.

The timer is 15 minutes and but you have full reinforces. So use short cooldown stratagems and basically throw your helldiver at the enemies. The base will be overrun, you will die. You need to kill more than you die. Bringing a dedicated support weapon is a mistake imo: you will spend all match trying to get it back. Something like an EAT is better.

My goto is EMS mortar, EATs, 1 stratagem like clusters/eagles for trash clearing, and 1 stratagem like the 500kg/110s for killing bigger stuff. Sometimes I also take the regular mortar but only with the EMS mortar too. I dont take turrets other than mortars because they need to be in LOS to work so they end up dying really fast once the base is overrun.

If you can, also take impacts and the scorcher since they let you deal with armored targets without needing a support weapon.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Risky Bisquick posted:

On bots mortars are goated, they kill all sorts of stuff and make a lot of noise to distract those 6+ alarm dropships away from you. I use them on bot 8/9s and its fine great.

For bugs, don't use them they are needless TK machines. EM mortars are fine for bugs though.

Most people don't have this awareness, and also similarly die multiple times to the bot mortars because they don't look for the shells.

for sure, this is why its important to call out mortars when you deploy them, and maybe even call out incoming shells if you see them approaching your teammates. thankfully with bots, they dont have a ton of guys that get in close range so its not as dangerous

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Bile Spewers and rockets one-shorting me were my most common deaths by far at difficulty 7 so this is a huge reduction in difficulty

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tom Tucker posted:

Bile Spewers and rockets one-shorting me were my most common deaths by far at difficulty 7 so this is a huge reduction in difficulty

Same, I'm tempted to use a different armor (I always use the armor that reduces explosion damage).

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Is the reduction in bile damage that noticeable?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I should note that for bots I pair both mortars and deploy them together to keep the TK fest down. Without the stun some mobs will just walk towards you and those explosive mortar shells will rain down on you which isnt ideal. EM mortar stuns them so you can work them with the sickle too if needed.

e: In light armour rockets didn't often one shot me today, near misses explosions did 10-20% damage where as before you just instantly died when a rocket exploded 5m away from you

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The 380 is fine; it's the players who are dumb. It's great for defense during the extraction phase, or for throwing behind you when you're being followed by four patrols worth of enemies, but people insist on throwing it into objectives we're meant to take, or along our route, delaying us needlessly. The devs even put a rolling barrage in the game to demonstrate that's not what the 380 is for, but people would rather stand and watch semi-effective explosions land around a set of bug holes then actually getting in there to close them.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Risky Bisquick posted:

before you just instantly died when a rocket exploded 5m away from you

Is that what "Explosion" means when it's cause of death? Super helpful, game, thank you for telling me what my eyes and ears and hands were already telling me about how I died.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
it's not hard to not get tk'd by mortars imo, if you know one is deployed just stay the gently caress away from enemies and you'll mostly be fine

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Just had the most wholesome gaming experience in ages.

Joined what must have been a 7 year old British boy. Begged me not to quit because everyone else had quit on him. Took no strategems on a level 5 bot mission. Talked the entire time, including when his mom came in his room and told him to wrap it up. Led us around the map yelling 'For DEMOCRACY'. Finished the mission successfully and gave everyone hugs before we left.

:unsmith:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

That IQ curve meme but it’s “mortars are good vs bots” on either side and “noooo mortars are so bad they just get team kills and you can’t target them”

They work on every bot map if your team doesn’t stand next to tanks which they shouldn’t. Use every cooldown long range lots of shots clears tons of enemies and makes every objective easier and covers your flanks and tears from patrols.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Qubee posted:

Having a nightmare of a time handling bots on Level 5 difficulty, primarily on the Eradicate missions that have low timer limits. It just consists of endless wave after endless wave with zero respite and we can't seem to gain a foothold or stand our ground. Then the tanks start dropping and it's even worse.

What should my loadout be for these kinds of missions? Everything deflects bullets so it seems almost impossible to make a literal dent in the vast swarms of beefy bots. I have EATs but they're just not quick enough to wipe out the threats before they replenish.

Turret the gently caress out of it. Max turrets. And a laser for nuclear option. Any support weapon you have you will drop when you inevitably die when it gets crazy and you won’t be able to run to get it back

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Another good use for mortars is that they will continue firing once you're gone from that area and will attract patrols to their location, reducing aggro on the squad.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Tom Tucker posted:

They work on every bot map if your team doesn’t stand next to tanks which they shouldn’t. ...

The tanks always get me. "Okay, it has been dead for 3 salvos now, mortar should be done shooting at it." And then comes salvo #4.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

causticBeet posted:

Idk if it’s because their static POI spawns are more spread out or something but even trying to go to the most empty area of the map seems like it can drop you into immediate combat.

I think the bigger part of this is just accepting that on high difficulty bots you may need to prioritize dealing with combat right off the bat and being ready for this, which sometimes means that you can’t call in support weapons as your first action.

Whenever I'm host, and this has basically always been on 7+ for a while now, I try to aim for a landing position that isn't swimming in red. 100% of the time this has lead to landing right on top of some POI with some bots or bugs and maybe a cannon tower. I've just kind of accepted that there's going to be a quick firefight immediately on arrival before being able to call down any equipment, and tbh I kinda love it. It's a great kick start to any mission that isn't an eradicate/extraction. It also makes missions where this doesn't happen have a nice comfy start, it's almost weird now to start a mission and not have a devastator or walker or medium sized bug staring me in the face.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
Yea, I’d still rather have an autocannon sentry, pretty much every upside to the mortar turret and like no downside.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Almost every pubbie group I autojoin likes to hot drop and blow through 10 reinforces in the first 2 minutes, it's pretty cool

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Tom Tucker posted:

That IQ curve meme but it’s “mortars are good vs bots” on either side and “noooo mortars are so bad they just get team kills and you can’t target them”

They work on every bot map if your team doesn’t stand next to tanks which they shouldn’t. Use every cooldown long range lots of shots clears tons of enemies and makes every objective easier and covers your flanks and tears from patrols.

Truth.

On an exterminate last night, everyone took the EMP mortar and regular mortar and we never had to worry about friendly fire because the emp ensured the bots stayed far away and ready to be hit with the regular mortar. Easiest exterminate mission yet. The stun grenade would probably help even more, but I don't have it yet.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tom Tucker posted:

They work on every bot map if your team doesn’t stand next to tanks which they shouldn’t.

gently caress that, toss two impact grenades at the tank's (or a hulk's) vent and you're good to go. I used to do that before I discovered that the laser cannon is a Vent Sniper.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I've not had a chance to play yet, how bad did they ruin the arc thrower? The range nerf doesn't sound too bad but if I'm understanding the chargeup change correctly its rate of fire got absolutely destroyed it sounds like?

I can understand the arc thrower getting a nerf as it made soloing high difficulty bug missions trivial, I don't see how the slugger was deserving though? It was good but definitely not broken. I'm not sure I'm really down with this philosophy of nerfing top performers in a PvE game like this (unless they are completely broken, which nothing is imo), especially not when there are so many guns that need serious love including poo poo like misaligned sights which seems bizarrely common. Also buffing the incendiary breaker while not even mentioning the DoT bug is very funny.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Lord Packinham posted:

Yea, I’d still rather have an autocannon sentry, pretty much every upside to the mortar turret and like no downside.

Needing line of sight is a massive downside.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Definitely seems to be some CTD issues with the new patch and the Superstore screen. Just had my third crash out of 50 hours or so of playing, and two of them were in the last hour from that screen.

I've verified my files etc.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Pish and twaddle. Mortars lust for blood and will actively hunt for you in the absence of enemies. I seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

The gunships have arrived, they spawn from huge towers that has to be hellbombed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!