Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

a thing I've noticed in the past is that for as prescient as his novels are, Gibson can be hilariously inept about technology sometimes, to the point where I'd say First Person Shooter makes just as much sense coming from him as Kill Switch did

I am pretty sure William Gibson said he actively avoids reading about tech or learning it so he doesn't get influenced by it. So yeah all his tech stuff is all technobabble and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There is a pivotal scene in Neuromancer where a bunch of cynical teen hackers help the main character by using pay phones as part of some sci-fi phone phreak thing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

avoids technology and yet predicted virtual waifus with stunning accuracy

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I AM GRANDO posted:

There is a pivotal scene in Neuromancer where a bunch of cynical teen hackers help the main character by using pay phones as part of some sci-fi phone phreak thing.

IIRC this scene also speaks to the sort of dissolution of "subcultures" into transient microcultures constsntly usurping each other because of the immense amount if information flying around.

Gibsons a cool guy.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Watched Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man tonight. Such a fun episode.

Payback's a bitch, Ivan.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive, that doesn't happen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

NWS just to be safe. It's David Duchovny with the tea cup.

:nws: https://i.imgur.com/tlVl4AO.jpeg :nws:

That link is dead now but I just came across this photo I've never seen before

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i've been watching x files for the first time, my main takeaways are that it's one of the best comedies ever made, and that mark snow got paid more to aimlessly noodle around on a keyboard for a few years than you'll make in your entire life

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pac and Cheese posted:

i've been watching x files for the first time, my main takeaways are that it's one of the best comedies ever made, and that mark snow got paid more to aimlessly noodle around on a keyboard for a few years than you'll make in your entire life

It perfectly balanced tension and character-based comedy for maybe four seasons and then they leaned too far into humor and upset the balance. It’s really something to enjoy.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pac and Cheese posted:

Hey, that's bullshit.

He'd also crack out the pan pipes whenever a native American was on screen.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

And that lone oboe of comedy.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
come on the racial episodes are great. loved the one about the albino black guy who has to suck the black out of other black guys or he'll die

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

According to Mulder, there's a whole tribe of them! Just sucking and sucking away in the Saharan desert.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Pac and Cheese posted:

come on the racial episodes are great. loved the one about the albino black guy who has to suck the black out of other black guys or he'll die

They all come out of nowhere in fairly rapid succession.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm the Indian guy on the little scooter with some gross power I can't remember. I think he crawls inside you through your butt?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

That link is dead now but I just came across this photo I've never seen before

Is this art?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Pac and Cheese posted:

At the time drama shows had no soundtrack and, to me anyway, the cheesy-ness of it reminded me of low budget horror movies which just made it all better. It was different at the time and pretty soon just became part of the show. But I can totally see watching it in 2024 for the first time where it likely sounds worse than than the soundtrack on CW shows.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

steinrokkan posted:

I'm the Indian guy on the little scooter with some gross power I can't remember. I think he crawls inside you through your butt?

I'm one of the Florida swamp people

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Weebly posted:

I’m a few episodes into season 2 and it hits. 11/12 hits so far.

1. Little Green Men- Banger. Very tense. Air Travel in the 90s was wild.

2. The Host- banger. Creepy monster of the week. I was really expecting someone to get attacked in the Port O Potty

3. Blood- Barely a banger but it’s so absurd I was into it.

4. Sleepless- banger. Vietnamese family was kinda cheesy but otherwise outstanding and fun episode

5. Duane Barry- banger that goes higher at the end. I’m sure this won’t be the first time Skully is kidnapped.

6. Ascension- banger. My only complaint this season had been them just straight up revealing Crycek.

7. 3- Another Monster of the Week. Much cooler than Blade. Mulder nearly throws the case to get his bone on.

8. One Breath- Banger for Mulder, sleeper for Skully. ENOUGH WITH THE STUPID BOAT. Mulders new contact is certainly more active than Deep Throat.

9. Fire walker- This is just the Last of Us but 44 minutes.

10. Red Museum- I was settling in for another kooky cult episode and just blind sided. BANGER. I did not think that guy would bite it. Thought he would be a reoccurring.

11. - Excelsis Dei- only one so far that didn’t hook me. The painting was cool.

12- Aubrey- I was skeptical reading the description but WOW. It started with Mulder making a BJ joke and just took off. The POV shots had awful acting.

Do keep updates going on. Im thinking of rewatching most of the episodes but I want to skip the ones I remember too well or that werent banging, list like this helps a lot with that.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

And that lone oboe of comedy.

I personally like the romantic music that plays whenever mysterious blonde mystery woman from Season 4 (whose name I don’t care to remember) shows up near Mulder. As far as I know, that never went anywhere.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Marita Covarrubias?

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Bonzo posted:

Marita Covarrubias?

YES her

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

newts
Oct 10, 2012
My kids pointed out that she has the same hair as Scully. (TBF, it was the 90s, so everyone had that hair)

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Bonzo posted:

Marita Covarrubias?

when I was in university a friend and I watched through the entirey of X-Files and could never remember her name, so she was known as "the immovable hair lady"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

newts posted:

My kids pointed out that she has the same hair as Scully. (TBF, it was the 90s, so everyone had that hair)

Tell them it was a government issued hairstyle.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The HOA tulpa monster episode was really good. It's one of like the four, possibly five episodes without Darren McGavin that I can distinctly remember. The others are the cannibal that ate fat girls he met through online dating, the one with the time traveling ocean liner, and the one where Bryan Cranston's head explodes. And I think there was a two-parter bodyswap deal where a frog got fused into a rock that might've involved Area 51.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 28, 2024

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The HOA tulpa monster episode was really good. It's one of like the four, possibly five episodes without Darren McGavin that I can distinctly remember. The others are the cannibal that ate fat girls he met through online dating, the one with the time traveling ocean liner, and the one where Bryan Cranston's head explodes. And I think there was a two-parter bodyswap deal where a frog got fused into a rock that might've involved Area 51.

That was Dreamland

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I remember the "fat" ladies were like 90s fat.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

I remember the "fat" ladies were like 90s fat.

Lmao the parasite dude who was feeding on big ladies and shes just presented as like the fattest person to ever exist and looks like shed be on the skinny side in the midwest in TYOOL 2024.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Bonzo posted:

Marita Covarrubias?

They called the mystery woman Coveruppius.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Covarubius is a weird and bad character and my wife pointes out that she talks through her bottom teeth and now I cant unsee it.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I mainly watch xfiles for the 90s FBI motor pool vehicles at this point

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

I always get giddy over the PS1/2 IBMs in the first seasons.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
So there's a reboot in the works? wtf

https://www.darkhorizons.com/x-files-creator-on-reboot-conspiracies/

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I would be shocked if this actually comes out, but this quote kind of blew my mind:

"" posted:

Carter also spoke about how Fox executives weren’t fans of his casting choices in the early 1990s, with the studio wanting someone else for Scully with studio executives asking him “where’s the sex appeal” when he cast Gillian Anderson.

Like I know the 90s had some really hosed up ideas about beauty and sex appeal but those executives were insane.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A Fancy Hat posted:

I would be shocked if this actually comes out, but this quote kind of blew my mind:

Like I know the 90s had some really hosed up ideas about beauty and sex appeal but those executives were insane.

On the one hand, the way they had her dressed was kind of dowdy. On the other hand, they made her do a strip tease in the pilot. I wonder if that scene was to placate the executives.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Her hair was up and she was wearing glasses, it was an easy mistake

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
This was a good bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

She wasn't blonde with a huge rack so when they looked at Gillian's headshots they just saw a kind of blurry blank area