Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

Is the Mac OS software platform as big of a pain in the rear end to deal with as the apple app store?

I don't think anybody actually uses the desktop app store so it's just a regular PC aside from that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Got a new wifi extender, which fixed the lag issues. Huzzah!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chird posted:

Got a new wifi extender, which fixed the lag issues. Huzzah!

Glad you fixed it but in general wifi extenders aren’t great and introduce more lag.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Bisse posted:

Nothing better in the entire world than going to download a mac app, needing to remember if I had an x86/x64, Intel, or Mac CPU, and oh have M2 and the app doesnt support it yet great

wtf are you talking about rosetta 2 is godlike. absolutel noob posting

Mustached Demon posted:

Is the Mac OS software platform as big of a pain in the rear end to deal with as the apple app store?

u just drag and drop apps theyre slef contained. winBLOWS is the pain in the rear end os. macos and linux EASILY clear windo$ze aid infested os.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't think anybody actually uses the desktop app store so it's just a regular PC aside from that

That's a no then: they're not gate keeping software behind apple app store.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Does MacOS/Safari still not natively recognize back and forward buttons on mice?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Does MacOS/Safari still not natively recognize back and forward buttons on mice?

Why do you need that? Just use cmd alt B and cmd alt F like a civilized person.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Why do you need that? Just use cmd alt B and cmd alt F like a civilized person.

look at this goober who keeps his left hand on the keyboard

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I haven't used a Mac in a while, but making the default mouse for your computer cost $80, with no scroll wheel, no back/forward buttons, no middle click, and requiring the user to perform hand gestures to mimic some of those features in TYOOL 2024 seems like corporate trolling.

Maybe the hand gestures are actually faster/easier than having a middle click, right click, scroll wheel, and back/forward buttons in practice, but it doesn't seem like it on paper.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

"Oh boy almost 50+ new posts in the D4 thread, maybe some news about S4's gimmick dropped, or something"
* reads MAC chat *
* sigh *

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

"Oh boy almost 50+ new posts in the D4 thread, maybe some news about S4's gimmick dropped, or something"
* reads MAC chat *
* sigh *

Was just going to post this lol. D4 is awesome

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

MrMidnight posted:

Was just going to post this lol. D4 is awesome

Happy April Fools' Day!

One thing I just noticed in the PTR notes is that they are changing weapon expertise for Barbs.

quote:

Weapon Expertise

Polearm Expertise
Lucky Hit chance increased from 10%[x] to 15%[x].
Damage while Healthy increased from 10%[+] to 15%[x].

Two-Handed Mace Expertise
Fury gain increased from 2 to 5.
Previous - You deal 15%[x] increased Critical Strike damage to Stunned and Vulnerable enemies while Berserking.
Now - You deal 15%[x] increased Critical Strike damage while Berserking.

Two-Handed Axe Expertise
Vulnerable Damage reduced from 15%[x] to 10%[x].

One-Handed Axe Expertise
Critical Strike Chance against Injured enemies increased from 5%[+] to 10%[+].

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

another month at least until there's something to talk about, only the dadliest gamers are still playing this season

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

hawowanlawow posted:

another month at least until there's something to talk about, only the dadliest gamers are still playing this season

Perhaps everyone is busy earning 1.35x gold and XP during the Mother's Blessing event, ending tonight?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Wrex Ruckus posted:

Perhaps everyone is busy earning 1.35x gold and XP during the Mother's Blessing event, ending tonight?

I guess anything is possible

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Do the Dads only play the campaign & then dip, or do the Dads play every single day of the season??? What even is a dad! Get me Matt Walsh immediately

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Sometimes these battles are such furballs that I don't realize that something is taking big bites out of my health until it's almost too late. Its gotten worse thanks to my beloved Overpower triggered Exploding Balls of Fun because the screen is usually full of explosions and creeps dying and poo poo flying all over the place.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I really hope they leave the trap vaults behind in this season. They are painfully unfun, regardless of how easy they made them.

Trying to power through the season rewards and it's just not a good time, especially when you know what's on the horizon.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Do the Dads only play the campaign & then dip, or do the Dads play every single day of the season??? What even is a dad! Get me Matt Walsh immediately

they play the campaign and dip but it takes ten weeks

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mothers blessing this, dad gamers that, what about us poor stepbrothers unable to play because we're stuck in this washing machine

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bobby Deluxe posted:

mothers blessing this, dad gamers that, what about us poor stepbrothers unable to play because we're stuck in this washing machine

Steal a steam deck?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Failboattootoot posted:

Things that require aim kinda suck but everything else is fine. Like back at launch I started off running a penetrating shot rogue and got tired of the times I'd fire suboptimal shots because of positioning or whatever. Switched to flurry so I could just run to where I needed to be to maximize effect and that worked great. Similar experience with the barbarian where I found deathblow to be kinda finicky in a tedious way and switched to a hota build at which point I had nearly 0 issues.

This is an interesting opinion to me, very different from my own. I find the aiming to be better with a controller 99% of the time. To the point that even on my PC where I play I use a controller for almost all combat and just hit the mouse when I need to manage inventory or paragon or whatever. I know some of it is because I don't have the best reflexes, but to use your PenShot rogue example I land a lot more of my shots using the controller's aim guidance than I do with KB/M.

Very very occasionally you'll get those suboptimal shots yeah, or the controller decides you want to fire directly into a wall or whatever. But I do not have that happen often at all.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 1, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I really noticed the controller aim problems with druid and landslide. There were a number of S1 builds that recommended using 3 basics on any mooks surrounding an elite and then taking a chunk out of the elite with a single landslide, but it almost never works on console unless the field is empty, which is shouldn't be for that trick to work.

There was a similar problem with necro and that bone power that gets huge bonuses depending on how much mana you have. Missed every single time and annihilated a random scamp instead of the butcher standing vaguely near it.

Maybe they've tweaked it since S2 but on console at least it's a massive build limitation the fact you choose a rough direction to fire rather than a specific enemy.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Maybe they've tweaked it since S2 but on console at least it's a massive build limitation the fact you choose a rough direction to fire rather than a specific enemy.

Fair enough, I don't play on console and I rarely play builds that need you to pick out a specific enemy from the pack. You CAN do that with the right stick and target lock, but it's pretty fiddly.

Unrelated to targeting, is resist capping not an important thing for Sorcerers? I've been looking at some guides as I level mine, and compared to other classes they pretty much all neglect resists on armor and just cram jewelry sockets full of skulls. Potent Warding adds some of course, but even with that up 100% of the time I'd be short of 70% resists across the board.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Mind over Matter posted:

Fair enough, I don't play on console and I rarely play builds that need you to pick out a specific enemy from the pack. You CAN do that with the right stick and target lock, but it's pretty fiddly.

Unrelated to targeting, is resist capping not an important thing for Sorcerers? I've been looking at some guides as I level mine, and compared to other classes they pretty much all neglect resists on armor and just cram jewelry sockets full of skulls. Potent Warding adds some of course, but even with that up 100% of the time I'd be short of 70% resists across the board.
With int and glyphs, you can get resist capped or near enough pretty easily as a sorc. Until you get, eg, Elementalist in the starter board higher you may feel like you want to cover with some gems.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
charge barb stopping the charge where you want, the previous HotA AoE implementation, making frozen orb explode where you want, picking where and what direction you want firewalls to go, having bone spear shatter where you want, bear charge, teleport and leap going fixed/short distances, ambush can't be finely guided (so it's improved version rarely is useful), not to mention all the random times you'll just fire an attack into nowhere even with a single enemy on the screen

they're making changes for a lot of those situations, hopefully for the better, but there are still plenty of skills i avoid using on controller that should work just fine but don't. target lock didn't do anything for any barb or druid issues that arose from being on controller, hopefully they're working on that too

fill in resists as needed, but fire & lightning account for like 70% of the dangerous damage you take, followed by shadow, then poison. cold doesn't do enough damage, just don't keep it below 0%. the int you gain from you class and board and allstats + int in gear + having decently high ilvl jewelry will get you most of the way there. my barb is capped on all but cold with just two resist rolls on my boots and a diamond in my amulet. if you're fighting a known source of a particular element, grab a potion or incense to cover it eg poison for duriel.

i tend to cap armor and resistance as a priority for any class because every class always does way too much damage and kills super quick so missing 14 all stat in order to get 60% lightning res is a no brainer. if i really need to i can make up that damage lost by not using a +res elixir

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

harrygomm posted:

i tend to cap armor and resistance as a priority for any class because every class always does way too much damage and kills super quick so missing 14 all stat in order to get 60% lightning res is a no brainer. if i really need to i can make up that damage lost by not using a +res elixir

Yeah this is what I've been doing too, which is why it surprised me to not see it recommended in Sorc guides. But I suppose with Potent Warding up I'm at 70% fire and 59% everything else, so as you said if I run into a situation where I feel like I want to cap it, like poison for Duriel, I can just use an elixir.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Also, most sorc builds I've used take both ice armor and flame shield for the Conceited bonus, and by lvl 100 you're at or close to 100% uptime between the two. My blizzard sorc is an absolute damage sponge even with only one defensive aspect remaining.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Gamer dad checking in - used mother’s blessing to level to 96 while nearly completing the season journey.

A+ would Seneschal again.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Are people in this thread checking out the PTR today or are you waiting for the next season?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

waiting until the new season starts in May. Got too many other games to play and rather not beta test D4 yet again

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Waiting. Happy for it an will probably jump in soon to start season but not in a rush to do testing or anything

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'll give them credit for the system design: I have resisted my usually overpowering urge to play multiple alts at the same time.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Gonna check it out for fun, usually dont test PTRs and betas and stuff so its gonna be fun to do it this time for a few hours

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I might try out the PTR to see how max level Rogue and Druid play because I have bounced hard off of them at low levels.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'm gonna check out the PTR because Necromancer skeletons should be good now.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Between new POE season and other bullshit yea I’m gonna wait for the full drop and watch a video in a week of a dude going like :O in the thumbnail and telling me if the ptr is good or not

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Between new POE season and other bullshit yea I’m gonna wait for the full drop and watch a video in a week of a dude going like :O in the thumbnail and telling me if the ptr is good or not

Hopefully with MS Paint or better yet a reaction vid to the MS Paint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Ok so I downloaded the 48GB game and spent the 30mins to upgrade my drivers and finally after two hours I am in and

First impressions are:

Whoa starting a new character and getting catapulted to WT4 is rough, getting squashed like a bug on helltide, dodging back to base to spec and stuff. Ouch.

I got some drops and I am seeing zero useless "2.9% increased fart smell while pooping if you wet your pants" affixes. All the affixes are a lot more basic and much faster to scan at a glance, but also feel much more impactful. Look at this loving thing: "+15 to impairment resistance". YES! I WANT THAT! YES! Everything is like, max 4 words long. +X to health. +X Life per second with no conditions. +X Strength. Etc.

Everything gives so much more resistance now, holy gently caress. My boots are giving +45% cold resistance off the bat and thats without all the tempering and masterworking stuff going on. I'm already at +150% on two resistances so I probably will need to redo my paragon board to not take so much resistances. Bottom line filling out resistances looks easier.

Also jewels are insane now, before the overpower damage per upgrade was like 12%/16%/20%/24% but now it is like 12%/24%/36%/60%. Top level takes a lot more material. So basically jewels matter a lot more now and i'm not sure I wanna 'OK just red jewels everywhere' I probably want a little bit of different stuff just because its so impactful. At least like, half my resistances are already capped so I might need One of those, and there is a limit how much Overpower I need so, yeah.

I opened the crafting screens and it was kind of sensory overload, this loving thing is A Lot To Take In. And also crafting takes resources so I don't wanna just randomly gently caress around I do want to think about my choices a bit. I will have to take some time to absorb this.

Some (not many) crafting recipies are showing '+33% dmg to close enemies' kind of garbage etc but I can simply choose not use those recipies. So I think a lot of the useless garbage affixes were just dumped into recipes.

There are some really good recipes here with things I really really want, like +30% HOTA impact area. Specific skill improvements. Generally seems like there are some exciting things in these cookbooks.

One thing I am not liking so far is that the overworld herb drops are just '6 Pile of Herbs' instead of this and that type of specific flower. Probably most people will like this and not hunting for a specific flower is probably a good thing, and i'm probably really not gonna miss hunting for Sundried Swampbeans to upgrade my potions. but I did like that it added some kind of realism to the world, the world feels a slight bit more generic with this minor change imo.

Helltides seem a lot better, after my 15 minutes of playing. There is more of well everything, there is some meter filling up like the Police Stars thing in GTA, basically it seems the more demonmurder crime you commit the more demons you get and once you become the top wanted demonmurderer the demon SWAT will come to get me. Not sure yet because i keep dying and it resets the meter to zero.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 3, 2024