Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

this is actual biosphere collapse content, most of the thread is focused on climate as a causal factor (not being obtuse, I know why)

I for one say gently caress those bears, they’re trying to get at our treats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Car Hater posted:

On a personal note I've finally escaped the auto industry and will hopefully feel several percent less terrible about my part in the sixth mass extinction

*6 months later*

I regret to report that the utilities industry is barely competent and no less responsible for biosphere collapse than the dreaded car

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Car Hater posted:

"It will probably be a really harsh winter next year because this one was so mild" - My Boss

winter cold debt

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Car Hater posted:

On a personal note I've finally escaped the auto industry and will hopefully feel several percent less terrible about my part in the sixth mass extinction

Car Hater posted:

*6 months later*

I regret to report that the utilities industry is barely competent and no less responsible for biosphere collapse than the dreaded car

:blessed:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Microplastics posted:

Well yeah the climate is like a gambling machine, after it has paid out a mild winter you won't get another one for a while

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

i mean it's just a version of Karma. if something good happens, that means it becomes more likely that bad things will happen, because The Universe Seeks Balance

:hmmyes:

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

hey that heat spike 100kya is what motivated us to gfto of africa

now this one is telling us to get out of india and florida

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
but my condo

Ignore_Me
Mar 19, 2024

Microplastics posted:

but my condo

it’s free real estate

Ignore_Me has issued a correction as of 02:03 on Apr 3, 2024

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
by “adapt” most people mean “pay for me to continue living exactly how I want with no changes”

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Car Hater posted:

*6 months later*

Hydro Hater

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Always amusing when people say things like "6C isn't the end of humanity because it's happened before". You know what hasn't happened before? The amount of CO2 that's going to end up in the euphotic zone of the ocean at the same time lol.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

‘but we’ll find a way to survive’

yes but without civilization

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
15 degrees hotter than now

lol, lmao

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
You know how you kinda have to tiptoe around people's religious beliefs? Even just as a matter of realistically reaching some understanding?

That is climate change and civilization to many people one might speak with.

In one breath acknowledge that we will make significant portions of the world inhospitable to human life, and in the next leverage that if we don't have enough children nobody will pay for my retirement.

The people that even tolerate such discussion, and even read the articles so watch out!

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Eating some pasta and wondering about the nanoplastic composition of the parmesan cheese I sprinkled in.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Rip Testes posted:

Eating some pasta and wondering about the nanoplastic composition of the parmesan cheese I sprinkled in.

Are you boiling the plastic jar or something

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Rip Testes posted:

It's not that bad, yet.

500excf type r posted:

Are you boiling the plastic jar or something

Lol, look who doesn't know about plastic in shredded cheese

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Dyer's been discussing geoengineering for a while now; it's also the focus of his latest book ...

edit: there it is, right at the end of the article

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

BrotherJayne posted:

It's not that bad, yet.

Do you mean cellulose?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

I should have just focused on being evil and chasing bags instead of trying to trick myself into believing I was doing anything useful

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/_katrinadomingo/status/1775042921906979078

the translated quote is "before flushing, you can still have someone else use it [the toilet]"

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

TACD posted:

we keep getting these once-in-a-lifetime events because there’s so many more people alive now

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

gradenko_2000 posted:

the translated quote is "before flushing, you can still have someone else use it [the toilet]"

But it's my god given right to flush the toilet once before I use it (in case the water is stale or dusty), once after (to flush it) and once more before I leave (to make sure the flushing noise is happening as I open the door so everyone can hear I've flushed it)

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

The Real Donald Trump posted:

But it's my god given right to flush the toilet once before I use it (in case the water is stale or dusty), once after (to flush it) and once more before I leave (to make sure the flushing noise is happening as I open the door so everyone can hear I've flushed it)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

BrotherJayne posted:

It's not that bad, yet.

The plastic's already literally in all the water, it doesn't fuckin matter. Cheese, pasta, rain, antarctic ice, it's all plastic.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's now day 2 of several school districts in the Philippines cancelling classes due to extreme heat

it's now day 3 of several school districts in the Philippines cancelling classes due to extreme heat

https://twitter.com/kbrierINQ/status/1775382558093766874

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Negros Oriental.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

What’s the temperature in Cracker Mick?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

500excf type r posted:

Do you mean cellulose?

Why the gently caress would we be talking about cellulose in the biosphere thread?

I am talking about the saturation of mechanically processed cheese products with microplastics via exposure to various elements of the production chain.

Don't be obtuse, you're not nearly cute enough to get away with it

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

The plastic's already literally in all the water, it doesn't fuckin matter. Cheese, pasta, rain, antarctic ice, it's all plastic.

Oh it matters, the Anthropocene will be clearly identifiable if anything comes next by the plastics enfused layer.

Real handy for research, if you think about it

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 12:27 on Apr 3, 2024

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

What’s the temperature in Cracker Mick?

Pretty sure "Negros Oriental" is literally just descriptively "East Side of Black Island" or something similar. Like the province or district or w/e, gently caress if I know for sure, haven't seen or talked to my cousins from there in 30 years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Pretty sure "Negros Oriental" is literally just descriptively "East Side of Black Island" or something similar. Like the province or district or w/e, gently caress if I know for sure, haven't seen or talked to my cousins from there in 30 years.

yes, the whole island is called "Negros", in the Spanish sense, and it is split up into two provinces, Negros Oriental and Negros Occidental.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
shoulda painted it white

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Rip Testes posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JCR_xdSuhjA&pp=ygUYSG9tZSBtb3ZpZXMgc2hha3kgY2hlZXNl

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

BrotherJayne posted:

Why the gently caress would we be talking about cellulose in the biosphere thread?

I am talking about the saturation of mechanically processed cheese products with microplastics via exposure to various elements of the production chain.

Don't be obtuse, you're not nearly cute enough to get away with it

Oh it matters, the Anthropocene will be clearly identifiable if anything comes next by the plastics enfused layer.

Real handy for research, if you think about it

Do you have a link about these cheese plastics

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's now day 3 of several school districts in the Philippines cancelling classes due to extreme heat
it’s the middle of summer, it’s supposed to be hot

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

500excf type r posted:

Do you have a link about these cheese plastics

Whoops, plasticizers, not microplastics.

https://kleanupkraft.org/data-summary.pdf

Enjoy a highly suspicious pdf link.

E: found the article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7460375/

E2: I swear I read an article about microplastics from assembly line mechanical processes, but I'm striking out. Google ain't helping so I'm just going to assume I am wrong.

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 13:43 on Apr 3, 2024

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

The plastic from the cheese bag wears off into the cheese, simple

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

BrotherJayne posted:

Whoops, plasticizers, not microplastics.

https://kleanupkraft.org/data-summary.pdf

Enjoy a highly suspicious pdf link.

E: found the article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7460375/

E2: I swear I read an article about microplastics from assembly line mechanical processes, but I'm striking out. Google ain't helping so I'm just going to assume I am wrong.

I don’t think it’s controversial to point out that every step of processing of a food in modern processing facilities involves plastic. it’s also not controversial that any time a food stock comes into contact with plastic, some of that plastic will ablate into the food. therefore, cheese, as a heavily processed food, has lots of plastics in it.

it’s like op wants some rct about whatever snowflake cheese orientation they’re imagining to be free from plastics somehow. we’ve got plastics in the cells of our plants ffs.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

tuyop posted:

I don’t think it’s controversial to point out that every step of processing of a food in modern processing facilities involves plastic. it’s also not controversial that any time a food stock comes into contact with plastic, some of that plastic will ablate into the food. therefore, cheese, as a heavily processed food, has lots of plastics in it.

it’s like op wants some rct about whatever snowflake cheese orientation they’re imagining to be free from plastics somehow. we’ve got plastics in the cells of our plants ffs.

Parmesan is not "highly processed cheese" you buffoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

500excf type r posted:

Parmesan is not "highly processed cheese" you buffoon

Ah, you're a clown. Got it!