Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Malcolm in the Middle had a pretty realistic home I think too. It only had two bedrooms for 5 people, 1 bathroom and was shown to be realistically messy for a home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

All the Star Trek starship bridges are too big and spacious

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
The big bad from True Detective SE01 lived exactly how I imagine he would.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

bull3964 posted:

My parents, both in their 70s, recently got access to Hulu because I had to kick them off my Disney+ (account sharing measures). They were on Youtube TV, but decided to go all in on Hulu with LiveTV bundled with Disney to save some money. They started watching "Only Murders in the Building" and love it, but it's hilarious that they have both mentioned separately that "they could do without all the vulgar language." In my mind, "Only Murders..." is probably one of the more wholesome things that I regularly watch.

I genuinely cannot recall any cussing in that show but I am a cusser so I probably wouldn't. I still view that show as extremely wholesome all things considered, can't imagine what set em off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah the cuss age gap is incredible, everyone born before 1960 cannot bear to hear swear words on TV.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, there are a few F bombs here and there which is what I imagine they are thinking of. They are basically only network TV watchers, so even a casual use of "poo poo" would be something that they generally don't see on TV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lmao

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1775182791547699666

https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1775184006067236922

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Please only make shows that reinforce my own beliefs. I cannot handle seeing opposing viewpoints, as it makes me piss my pants.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Waiter, there's a woke in my soup, I demand to speak to the manager!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Nothing makes back the blue idiots go crazy like mild criticism of guns

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/2/24118814/jon-stewart-apple-tv-plus-daily-show-lina-khan-interview

quote:

While interviewing FTC Chair Lina Khan yesterday on The Daily Show about tech companies and antitrust behavior, he revealed more, telling Khan, “I wanted to have you on a podcast,” but Apple “literally said, ‘Please don’t talk to her.’”

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Imagining one of the clowns win a 'write an episode of SVU' contest and sweating profusely as the weigh up making a gun the murder weapons because on one hand that make guns look even worse to the at-risk-of-wokeness segment of the audience, and on the other hand both guns and people getting shot are mad cool

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jesus Christ, shouldn't the FTC be telling Apple to not be telling people that?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

Imagining one of the clowns win a 'write an episode of SVU' contest and sweating profusely as the weigh up making a gun the murder weapons because on one hand that make guns look even worse to the at-risk-of-wokeness segment of the audience, and on the other hand both guns and people getting shot are mad cool

It's really simple to write this. The criminal uses woke to kill a brave patriot and then the hero solves the murder by shooting the criminal. Everyone thanks the gun and gives it a medal.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

IRQ posted:

Waiter, there's a woke in my soup, I demand to speak to the manager!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcke-pxvRnk

Literally an ad in NC with "woke in the soup" lol. (also the dumbest stretch to try use anti-woke sentiment in a campaign for TREASURER)

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

BonoMan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcke-pxvRnk

Literally an ad in NC with "woke in the soup" lol. (also the dumbest stretch to try use anti-woke sentiment in a campaign for TREASURER)

Not dumb at all I think

But I don't even think he's right in suggesting that ethical investments have had worse returns than the S&P 500 over a longer period

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 2, 2024

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

Not dumb at all I think

But I don't even think he's right in suggesting that ethical investments have had worse returns than the S&P 500 over a longer period

it doesn't matter because go woke go broke is not a thing and if someone came to Disney with hard data that shows a high chance of a 15% increase in revenue across the board if they banned gay people from the parks Disney would hire the Pinkertons the next day to guard the gates and patrol the grounds looking for anyone they think is gay and violently eject them from the grounds

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

pentyne posted:

it doesn't matter because go woke go broke is not a thing and if someone came to Disney with hard data that shows a high chance of a 15% increase in revenue across the board if they banned gay people from the parks Disney would hire the Pinkertons the next day to guard the gates and patrol the grounds looking for anyone they think is gay and violently eject them from the grounds

Sure. But if you think it's a thing then, given a lack of shame, it makes sense to go for it.

I would presume at least the big time politicians who drone on and on about woke even when it's entirely irrelevant to the topic have data of some sort showing the audience likes it when they do that, or that they go up in the polls by a bit on weeks they talk about nothing else. Then again maybe they can't help themselves.

e: That guy's house is far too nice for any politician to afford honestly and probably nicer than anyone can afford ethically apart from maybe doctors/NPs/architects who work on social housing/privacy engineers/ironically ethical investment bankers.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 2, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

Sure. But if you think it's a thing then, given a lack of shame, it makes sense to go for it.

I would presume at least the big time politicians who drone on and one about woke even when it's entirely irrelevant to the topic have data of some sort showing the audience likes it when they do that, or that they go up in the polls by a bit on weeks they talk about nothing else. Then again maybe they can't help themselves.

Their audience likes complaining about woke, so they do it. The general public doesn't give a poo poo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

What they really mean is "if you dare to support lgbt+ rights or acknowledge climate change we will try to gently caress you over as hard as possible, and if we could, we would make you go broke"

it's a threat, not a description of reality

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They also just make things up to fit their imagination. In their mind, go woke go broke is true because they imagine Budweiser went bankrupt after giving one trans person one can of beer. The fact that the company still exists doesn't matter.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It's a matter of time before someone who was 'cancelled' over serious things makes their big comeback specifically by becoming a spokesman for campaigns to ban woke people and companies. And see zero hypocrisy in doing so.

If this hasn't already happened.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bright Bart posted:

It's a matter of time before someone who was 'cancelled' over serious things makes their big comeback specifically by becoming a spokesman for campaigns to ban woke people and companies. And see zero hypocrisy in doing so.

Chuds trying to get additional attention by claiming they were "cancelled" is how it's been from the beginning

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

You are thinking of Donald Trump.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
i thought the shameless house was very realistic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joe Flaherty (who I know mostly from Maniac Mansion) has died.

https://twitter.com/MichaelRWarren/status/1775235848604201328

That is a murderer's row of comedic talent.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I'm glad PBS was showing SCTV late at night when I was in high school in the late 90s otherwise I'd have missed out on how good it was. RIP to Joe.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
RIP Count Floyd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMQ8qSEVFo0

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I was also just informed that this is the guy who calls Happy Gilmore a jackass a bunch. Dang :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

He gave Marty Doc's letter in 1955. He did his bit, RIP.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Joe Flaherty is a legend. He was part of the "next generation" in Second City, in the late 60's

I'm currently reading the recent book about the making of The Blues Brothers and Joe pops up a lot in the early chapters during the Second City & early Saturday Night days. He & his brother lived with Belushi in Chicago during that time.

Also he was Harold g-drat Weir on Freaks and Geeks

RIP to a real one

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah he was a good dramatic actor in Freaks and Geeks.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Been rewatching Scrubs for the first time since probably the last season aired and while it has it's fair share of problems (way too many "ur gay" jokes, too much shaming of Elliot for various reasons, but it was the early 2000s) but it still hits pretty hard in some places. It's funny how memory works because I remember some episodes as being much earlier than they actually were, like the one where Kelso decides to help a wealthy donor instead of some poor person so they can use the donation money to fund mobile services for pregnant women. I would have bet you anything that's a season 3 episode but it's season 5. It's also unfortunately got a black face gag (JD imagines Elliot as Turk) but they just edit the scene instead of pulling the episode, which is good because it's overall great and does some heavy character work for Dr. Kelso.

I remember live watching and posting here for seasons 3-7, makes me feel extra old.

I kinda watch to check out Cougar Town since I've seen everything else Bill Lawrence had done and enjoyed it all.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I actually recall some things being later than they actually were. For instance, Cox is revealed to be the 'good guy' in the first episode. And Bob shows that he cares more than he lets on soon after that.

Elliot is a successful doctor who gives as good as she gets when she does give it. And it's between her best friends who would do anything for her. It's hard for me to notice that she's being bullied sometimes. I don't think it's a television trope that the woman is the butt of most the teasing, so she may as well be in this one if anyone has to be.*

*I prefer shows where people are nice to each other if only because the writers have to look for laughs elsewhere and have more time to fill with plot.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 3, 2024

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Cougar Town abandons the initial premise very quickly and becomes the most Bill Lawrence show. It's solid but how much you enjoy it will depend on how much you like the characters because that's really all it is. It's just a fun hangout show with a group of people that get wine drunk constantly. I've always enjoyed it but it's also not one I hard recommend.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

I actually recall some things being later than they actually were. For instance, Kelso is revealed to be the 'good guy' in the first episode. And Bob shows that he cares more than he lets on soon after that.

Elliot is a successful doctor who gives as good as she gets when she does give it. And it's between her best friends who would do anything for her. It's hard for me to notice that she's being bullied sometimes. I don't think it's a television trope that the woman is the butt of most the teasing, so she may as well be in this one if anyone has to be.*

*I prefer shows where people are nice to each other if only because the writers have to look for laughs elsewhere and have more time to fill with plot.

Iirc wasn't it Cox being revealed as the good guy at the end of the 1st ep after being an rear end in a top hat and Bob Kelso revealing his fake niceness was a sham?

E: ^^^ show got a little too aimless even for me after a fee seasons and the son situation and his real age versus his characters got pretty weird.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Yeah I got meant Cox you're right. I knew who I was thinking of I just got the name wrong.

Did they specify how old Dorian is? For some inane reason I looked up how old the actor was and he'd have been 25 when the show first aired. That's really tight but you can be a first year resident (intern) at that age. (If you skip a grade or two and/or get into a guaranteed acceptance program that only requires a 3 year bachelor's.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Cougar Town abandons the initial premise very quickly and becomes the most Bill Lawrence show. It's solid but how much you enjoy it will depend on how much you like the characters because that's really all it is. It's just a fun hangout show with a group of people that get wine drunk constantly. I've always enjoyed it but it's also not one I hard recommend.

I liked Cougar Town quite a bit but holy poo poo the title was awful. Just was expecting some Real Housewives type stuff

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Bright Bart posted:

Yeah I got meant Cox you're right. I knew who I was thinking of I just got the name wrong.

Did they specify how old Dorian is? For some inane reason I looked up how old the actor was and he'd have been 25 when the show first aired. That's really tight but you can be a first year resident (intern) at that age. (If you skip a grade or two and/or get into a guaranteed acceptance program that only requires a 3 year bachelor's.)

There is a season 5 episode where JD turns 30, so yeah he's 25 in season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Medullah posted:

I liked Cougar Town quite a bit but holy poo poo the title was awful. Just was expecting some Real Housewives type stuff

I am convinced that the only reason anyone watches a Vanderpump on television is because the name gets stuck in your head and it vaguely sounds like Vanderbilt.