Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm hugging my pets extra hard for all those who can't or won't be able to in the thread. SENDING GOOD VIBES!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Walter is a weird little goober who wants to be friends with all your dogs

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cat's cranky, so what?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Bandit is super chill and will be friends with any animal. Kenji has what I like to call a "guard dog instinct" and will gladly get hosed up by a squirrel after pissing it off.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Isla and Simon still getting used to each other

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
we had a bunch of rain here the past couple of days and it claimed the life of a stray cat we'd been feeding occasionally. :( i hate everything

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm hugging my pets extra hard for all those who can't or won't be able to in the thread. SENDING GOOD VIBES!!!!!!!!!

I love them

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

a sexual elk posted:

Isla and Simon still getting used to each other

What was your process for introducing the kitties to each other?

Did you have an “interview”’process?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

saintonan posted:

Depends on the debt. My auto loan from 2020 is at 2.7% APR, so although I could pay it off and eliminate that debt, I make more keeping that money invested instead.

None of that applies to ridiculous 14% APR loans though.

That's not cash, that's investments. When money people talk about money using their normal industry standard terms, "cash" means a bank account, money market, or similar: money you can immediately draw on that is not exposed to any risk (other than inflation).

There is a risk that you actually lose rather than gain money during the duration of an auto loan, but if you're comfortable with that risk and you have a cash emergency fund, it's a reasonable risk to take. The long-term rate of return of, say, an S&P500 index fund will beat that rate by a lot, but that's over decades.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What was your process for introducing the kitties to each other?

Did you have an “interview”’process?

Rotated rooms so they got used to each others scents for a few weeks, then open door with a stack of baby gates for awhile. Then letting them in the same room with Isla in her harness on my lap. Finally ripped off the bandaid last Friday. Lastman standing would earn our love. Lots of sliced turkey along the way. They seem fine, Islas a wimp but she still fixates on Simon from time to time. Simon has no fear of the dog and keeps trying to snuggle with her.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Heard a huge crash from the kitchen and it turns out the screen door wasn't zipped up far enoughg so my tuxie cat was able to jump in to chase a wasp and knocked the paper towel stand off the counter trying to get at. She's lucky she didn't get stung.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Two things:

Just saw some Mormons at Sam's Club but they were deviating from the standard black pants and tie. There were 4 or 5 of them, with navy, light blue, or dark gray pants. They had different color ties on, but still white shirts. One was in a full three piece suit (youngest of the group). I am guessing the felt the need to invoke some fashion to their missionaries?

Second, did you know you can actually fail the ASVAB? Because Kyle Rittenhouse did...

https://twitter.com/jamesstout/status/1775163288990429628?t=sUxj1mjQF2hgrqGfpaE2Hw&s=19

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Literally the easiest test I've ever taken lmaoooo

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Does failing the asvab come with the police job application form or do you have to get it separately?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

swickles posted:

Just saw some Mormons at Sam's Club but they were deviating from the standard black pants and tie. There were 4 or 5 of them, with navy, light blue, or dark gray pants. They had different color ties on, but still white shirts. One was in a full three piece suit (youngest of the group). I am guessing the felt the need to invoke some fashion to their missionaries?

This reminded me, a buddy of mine in college stayed at my parent's place over the summer between sophomore and junior year, and recently re-found this gem he cut out from the newspaper during that summer:

I had forgotten about "Nelson said Otte told him he doesn't like Jehova Witnesses 'or any religions'".

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

swickles posted:

Two things:

Second, did you know you can actually fail the ASVAB? Because Kyle Rittenhouse did...

https://twitter.com/jamesstout/status/1775163288990429628?t=sUxj1mjQF2hgrqGfpaE2Hw&s=19

Wow, that’s crazy. I remember in high school, our teachers told us how to game the ASVAB to try and get into the area of interest in the military if you wanted to join, and it was an easy test. So to actually fail it…

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If you drool on the paper and it’s within the lines you actually beat Kyle’s score

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hook ‘em Horns

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I am glad that ICWA exists and was upheld by the Supreme Court but it's also being an annoyance to me today.

On the other hand it's not surprise stabbing pictures in a 600+ page document I had to go over last minute yesterday and early this morning.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

swickles posted:

Two things:

Too dumb to be a marine is a loving amazing achievement. Like, did they tell him not to bother with registering for selective service after? Did Gillette not send him a razor on his 18th birthday?

I was good at the math section so the Navy really wanted me and if the recruiter had been quick enough to contact me before I'd been accepted to a college there's a good chance I would have done it (It was 2002, Afghanistan seemed to be a huge success and this Saddam Hussein character seemed really dangerous).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Still can’t believe that pig-faced baby was acquitted for living out his NRA fantasy illegally.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Was the ASVAB mandatory for some of you? I think this is the first time I've ever heard of the thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Was the ASVAB mandatory for some of you? I think this is the first time I've ever heard of the thing.

Yeah, I mean, I think you could get a note from your parents to get out of it but every male student at my high school took it junior year (I think it was junior year). Did you go to private school? Maybe it's not required there?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

It was mandatory in SC I think. Had recruiters calling me constantly afterward because it’s balls easy and if you’re not a moron you obliterate it.

In hindsight it seems pretty unethical to just give full access to high school students like that without parental consent, but so it goes in this jingoistic nightmare state.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Air Skwirl posted:

Yeah, I mean, I think you could get a note from your parents to get out of it but every male student at my high school took it junior year (I think it was junior year). Did you go to private school? Maybe it's not required there?

whhhat??

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I went to public school in new jersey and i dont remember taking that poo poo at all

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Yeah, I remember as either a junior or senior they just herded our class into the cafeteria, we all took the ASVAB, and that was that. I think I had already taken it previously outside of school without knowing fully what it was for.

I don’t remember how I did, but this was during the middle of Afghanistan and Iraq (Probably not too far removed from the surge period), and I already had Florida PrePaid and knew I was going to college, so the idea of the military at that time was :laffo:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Air Skwirl posted:

I went to public school in Illinois. I don't think I know anyone who took it in high school.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Sounds like a red state / blue state thing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I definitely did not take or even know about that test growing up in Massachusetts

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Also, our high school had a good sized Army JROTC unit and recruiters around all the time. They didn’t talk to everyone (I think they approached me one time in 4 years), but they were around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Some of you here are younger and maybe it's not mandatory anymore, or it's on a state to state basis how mandatory it is? I went to high school in Washington state. I probably took it in 2000 or early 2001, I find it a little hard to believe post war on terror the government doesn't want as many people as possible taking it though.

Also when I say I was good at the math section, don't mistake that for me actually being good at math it was a bunch of very simple math questions and multiple choice answers so it's like 12x7 and even if you don't know that, if you have a vague understanding of "well 10x7 is 70, only one of these choices is even close to that."

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Yeah, I took it in Jeb!’s state either during or immediately after his term as governor, while George W was president, at the time troop levels in Iraq were close to their peak, in a high school that was like 80% black/hispanic. This was also during the height of Jeb!’s FCAT standardized test bullshit, so everyone being herded around to take another random standard test like all the others wasn’t out of the ordinary.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

swickles posted:

I heard the Air Force requirements is "put a mirror under their nose to ensure they're breathing." :v:

I never had to take an ASVAB test. Went to high school in Maine during the early 90's.

SundayMoney posted:

Just found out our 15 year old Bassett has Lymphoma as she has heavy swelling on the lower part of her neck. They upped her Prednisone and it's basically as long as she's doing good just enjoy the time with her.

So hug your pets and enjoy them for me.

Hiked Powell Butte today with some friends & my housemate's dog since they're in Wyoming. Does that count?

Post-hike quiche & a cold brew. Not pictured: dog treats given later.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I never took the ASVAB in CA and do not know anyone that did, outside of people that joined the military I guess. I am probably pretty average goon age (low 40's).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Was in high school in MI during the Dubya admin and I have zero recollection of this test.

Wondering if part of their extreme rejection of Rittenhouse is simply to dodge the potential for bad press.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I grew up in Texas and don’t recall taking that test. Still got hassled by a marine recruiter though.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I'll ask one of my brothers next time I see them if they ever took that test. I don't remember hearing anything about it and I graduated from high school in 2006. It could also be that the army didn't bother recruiting from my high school but I seriously doubt it since targeting inner city/low income schools was definitely a thing in other parts of Washington. Either way, since I'm a cis lady no one bothered to talk to me about joining the military and all my relatives who had joined discouraged their kids from joining.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
My guidance counselor told me not to join the military because I do not follow orders :smug:. And because I had good SAT scores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Maybe it was mandatory because of no child left behind? so in a very short window? Or just mandatory based on how much the military recruiter sucks up to the principal?